Favorite things to do in and around Seattle.

Ok, maybe we're oddballs but here's what we did. We had 2 days pre cruise last summer. We really aren't 'city people' and before arriving dh kept saying he didn't want to stay downtown & do city touring. :crowded: Also the hotels downtown were crazy high. So we stayed at the Hilton right next to the airport. It wasn't the greatest hotel but our kids, then 15 & 12, were so happy that they offer rooms with 2 king beds. So nice to not hear them bicker & it was only $134/nt with the prepaid rate. We were spending a ton on Alaskan excursions and just couldn't go crazy in Seattle too.

The day we arrived we visited the Space Needle which did take longer than we anticipated. On a Saturday evening the wait was probably 1 hr. Dh & kids fell in love with the whole city and agreed we should return again someday to see more. After seeing Mt. Rainier from atop the SN, they all agreed we should visit there the next day.
The one thing I wanted to do is visit the Boeing factory so we squeezed that in early the next morning. It's about 1/2 drive north of Seattle but it was neat to see. From there we drove to Mt. Rainier and enjoyed amazing views, wildlife & even some glaciers. It was approximately a 14 hr day to do both so by then we were all exhausted and glad to drop off the car & relax a bit before heading to the port in the am.

Have fun planning. :goodvibes

we have reserved a hotel at the airport too, I am hoping to get something in the city if the prices go down. But like you said, I have spent tons of cruise, airfare, and port adventures. I need to save somewhere.

Was it easy to get in and out of the city? Did you do it by car?

How long of a drive was it to Mt. Rainier?

I am sure I will be happy for that first sea day when I can sleep and relax!:woohoo:

The one thing I wanted to do is visit the Boeing factory so we squeezed that in early the next morning. It's about 1/2 drive north of Seattle but it was neat to see. From there we drove to Mt. Rainier

Whoa, that IS a crazy long day!

I agree with everyone else's suggestions, with a +1 for a Mariners game and the Museum of Flight. Mt. Rainier is fantastic, although if you're there too early in the summer many things will still be snowbound. And I'd advise against doing anything else in a Mt. Rainier day, despite the PP's experience :)

One other good option is to take a ferry ride from downtown to Bainbridge Island. It's a beautiful ride, and you can walk around town a bit on the other side (get ice cream from Mora) before heading back.

We went, got city passes, they were great. Admission into a lot of things, but don't bother with a car, they have great public transport, and is cheaper tha paying for parking. Plus you can feel great and eat what you want on the ship because you walked alot

I live here. :) These are some of our favorites:
1. The new Ferris Wheel... so cool and worth the price.
2. Pike's Market... something for everyone. Go hungry!
3. Aquarium
4. Pacific Science center with a ride up to the Space Needle... Bring your camera.
5. Walk along the piers, Take the 2 hour Argosy Cruise to learn about Seattle
6. Ride the Ducks

These are what I think would be most age appropriate for you and your kids.:thumbsup2

I add the Underground Tour to the list.

Duck tour. The Boeing tour. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Lake Inion they have a nice breakfas and have free transporation. The aquarium is fun too. Ivars both the Long house on Lake Union and The one by the piers the sea hills will eat out of your hands. Visit the old Curiosity house .

I agree with everyone. :) The Underground Tour from Pioneer Square is really fun, and a total must do! The Aquarium is really nice, and Pike Place Market is really, really great (and really delicious!) Make sure you catch them throwing fish at the Fish Market!

I'm going to add one more, to do lunch at the restaurant atop the Space Needle. No, the food isn't fabulous (but it's not bad). It's the view that is wonderful! The restaurant rotates 360 degrees and you can just sit there & have a spectacular "show" while you eat! Also, admission to the observation deck is free if you eat there.

Sayhello

Ditto the underground tour. We've been to Seattle twice and 1st time was not fun, but the best thing we did was the tour (and I am NOT a tour person).

Also, eat at Restaurant Zoe, Really great. http://www.yelp.com/biz/restaurant-zoë-seattle-2#query:belltown restaurants

Pike's Place Chowder, and of course the crab cocktails from Pike's Place market (any of the stands). Yum.

I've lived in the area for years and my suggestions would start with the space needle and everything at the Seattle Center and the waterfront but I agree with a previous poster who rented a car and went to Mt. Rainier, incredible experience and not that far. The ferry rides are also great and not very expensive.

we have reserved a hotel at the airport too, I am hoping to get something in the city if the prices go down. But like you said, I have spent tons of cruise, airfare, and port adventures. I need to save somewhere.

Was it easy to get in and out of the city? Did you do it by car?

How long of a drive was it to Mt. Rainier?

I am sure I will be happy for that first sea day when I can sleep and relax!:woohoo:
I didn't find it difficult driving in the Seattle area. From the airport, it wasn't far to get on I-5 north. We brought our GPS which was a huge help. IIRC it was around 1.5 hrs to get there. As you enter the NP, they give you a guide to things to see around the park. We mostly stopped along the way a few times to see waterfalls and take pics. Not really time for hiking and such.
The Hilton offered a free shuttle to SEA so after we checked in we returned to there for the car.

Whoa, that IS a crazy long day!

I agree with everyone else's suggestions, with a +1 for a Mariners game and the Museum of Flight. Mt. Rainier is fantastic, although if you're there too early in the summer many things will still be snowbound. And I'd advise against doing anything else in a Mt. Rainier day, despite the PP's experience :)

One other good option is to take a ferry ride from downtown to Bainbridge Island. It's a beautiful ride, and you can walk around town a bit on the other side (get ice cream from Mora) before heading back.

Yes it was a long day but when you only have 1.5 days to see so much in a place so far from home, I couldn't see us sitting around the hotel room.
I think we got up around 7 am, headed out by 8 and finished the Boeing tour by 11:00. It lasts less than 1 hr. We stopped for a quick lunch and started our drive to Mt. Rainier. I think we were back to the airport area by 9pm.

The funny thing was we returned the car rental, then hopped on the Hilton shuttle to return to our room. As we made more stops in SEA, we picked up my parents as their flight had just arrived from PHL. They were so surprised to see us already in the van. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter