• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite Specialty?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
We usually stick to the MDR but are trying Chops for the first time/ For those who have been on Royal and tried various specialty restaurants, what is your favorite? Is it worth the up charge? I notice too that the cost of the restaurant varies by ship (bigger/newer the ship, the more $$$)

We never do specialty dining but got such a great deal on board for the 3 restaurant package plus our TA gave us an additional restaurant. So my then 7 1/2 year old and I enjoyed all the great food on the Allure. (They ended up charging me almost nothing for her meals - like $10 - one they didn't charge for her at all.) I was nervous about taking her into 150 Central Park - thought it was very fancy. :-) It was amazing. They served us bread and butter and 6 kinds of salt that you add to the butter. The salts come from different countries and the waiter explains what each one tastes like (one smelled like eggs, one had a bit of a kick, etc.). We loved trying them all and comparing the taste. We shared the Roast Tenderloin of Beef for 2 (before she went vegetarian), which was delicious. For dessert we had warm donuts, which were delicious. We sat in very, very high-back chairs at a cozy table. Service was top notch. Best cruise meal EVER.

Chops was our second favorite. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I’ve only done Chops, Samba and Giovanni’s. Would rank the three in that order.

My wife once ordered the nabeyaki udon from Izumi. It was pretty standard.

Have had Johnny Rockets and Jamie’s (at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto) on land. JRs is fine, but not as an upcharge restaurant. I mean, if Carnival can give us a Guy Fieri restaurant at no additional cost, they can make JRs free.

Jamie’s is not bad. Kids pasta with “Secret Seven” marinara (did not see a “Famous Five” pizza or a Noddy mocktail) is actually quite tasty. Margherita pizza was a super-thin crust, the kind you need to eat with a knife and fork. Adult portions were huge. So I think if you can’t get to a Jamie’s on land it’s worth a try.

We've been on several RCL ships and our restaurant preferences varies according to ship. On the Oasis class ships, we rank Giovanni's best. On the smaller ships, it seems to be Chops.

Thanks for the replies

That's good to know that Central Park was accomodates for kids. It does look really nice. WHo knew there were so many different kinds of salt. Our August cruise doesn't have it but we are on Symphony in a bit so will definitely keep it in mind.

starvenger, it's funny...since Jamie's is at Yorkdale (we're in Vaughan), it's almost a turn off to bother with it on a ship. Having said that, I'm sure it's the most kid-friendly restaruant as they can always make a simple pasta. Good to hear that Chops is your favorite of the ones you've tried. Have heard good things of Giovanni's.

OKW Love, funny how same restaruant can vary by ship (not just in price, but actual taste). Looking forward to trying Chops.

Debating too about trying BOGO for Symphony (esp as those individual prices are quite a bit more...and BOGO is cheaper than some restaurants as a single booking). So that would give us 2 options to try. Only downside is that it means we miss the first formal night.

I think you can bring kids to any restaurant - not sure about Wonderland and most likely not Chef's Table. My daughter went to 150 Central Park, Chops, Giovanni's, and Izumi.

Thanks. Wonderland looks really neat but not even sure it would work for me as I don't eat meat. But doesn't seem kid-friendly (but very artistic). Chef's Table we would skip with kids anyways.

I've only eaten at Sabor, with my son. He loved the chips and salsa. That's about it :) I enjoyed my meal. And was glad they only charged a few $ for my son. Oh, he also loved the calamari though it was spicy so he asked for milk which took a long time to arrive. I guess they don't get asked for it often. I only took him because we missed the taco spread on the buffet and he was really upset. Since it was his birthday cruise I figured this would work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter