Favorite Computer Software?

Communicore1991

Mouseketeer
Back in the day when things weren't online it seems like there was a lot more computer software available and some were memorable for different reasons. What was some of your favorite software?

For me there was one which put Christmas lights around the border of your screen and you could change the lightbulbs, the patterns of lights flashing, and even choose MIDI files to play in time with the lights. Then there was WindowsBlinds by Stardock (which apparently is still around) which let you customize your screen's title bars, start bar, icons, things like that. I remember each year changing my Windows ME and XP desktop to a Christmas themed display with blues and red and white stripes.

There was a great golf game called Links that had a build-your-own course feature. Lots of regular users made courses that were realistic to famous courses around the world: Augusta, St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, etc. It was a lot of fun to play against other users online. Unfortunately, Microsoft bought it and essentially killed it.

Reactions: GAN
How many of us had Flight Simulator and crashed into the World Trade Center........years before the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike .

There was a great golf game called Links that had a build-your-own course feature. Lots of regular users made courses that were realistic to famous courses around the world: Augusta, St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, etc. It was a lot of fun to play against other users online. Unfortunately, Microsoft bought it and essentially killed it.
Looks like (with a little bit of work), you can play that again... https://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Links:+The+Challenge+of+Golf&gid=1955

ETA: I also remember SimGolf and Roller Coaster Tycoon that I enjoyed playing.

You got my nostalgic mind going. I remember a "States and Capitals" game. It would outline a US state, you'd have to type (correctly) the name of the state and the capital. There was also a version for Europe countries.

My favorite computer software is iTunes. :D

Followed by MS Office (Word, Excel)

I was never really into games.

As far as software goes, I guess iTunes (now just "Music" I believe) is what I use/have used the most recreationally.

Word is what I have used the most for school and work.

I have never been a gamer, but I remember playing something called "Wacky Wheels" back in the 90's. It was kind of a knockoff of Mario Kart. It somehow got installed on the computers in the computer lab and everybody was enjoying the heck out of it.

The Johnny Castaway screensaver. Anybody remember it? He was marooned on an island and did all sorts of silly stuff. One of the rare screensavers you could actually just sit and watch lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter