FastPass-SchmassPass... Many guests buy the wrong TICKETS!

Robo

1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!
After answering dozens and dozens (and dozens) of "How many days do I need to buy on our tickets?" questions here and elsewhere...

I can just imagine how much money is wasted (and basically "donated" to Disney) by guests buying completely the "wrong" tickets for their trips.

(Buying "extra days" to use to Park Hop.
Buying too many unneeded park days for a shorter trip.
Buying the Hopper Option early on, and then never needing it.
Etc.)

And, the countless times that guests may add the "non-expiring" upgrade to a ticket that has maybe 2-3 "days left" so as to save money on their next trip...
a trip that will likely be for 5 or more days in length.
(The non-expire upgrade of the previous ticket would be quite a waste
of money in that case.)

The ticket situation at WDW can be very, very confusing.

So... Don't be afraid to speak-up and ask about these things.
There are some very experienced posters here who can help.

When in doubt about tickets, please do ASK HERE, and maybe save yourself some serious dough!

People have this problem? Really?

Its plain and simple, at least for us, we will be there 8 days, 7 nights, thus we get 7 days of park hopper tickets (8th day we simply, get up, eat, leave).

I would think this happens a lot.
Many times people just don't have the knowledge.
I would think it has the opposite outcome with some.
They don't get what they actually need, so instead of wasted money, they fall short. Not enough days, should have got the hopper, etc etc
I know someone that once needed to go to another park, Reservations. no hopper, had to use another day.

I know exactly what you mean.

We definitely use our Park Hoppers, so that is always worth it for us. But on our last 2 trips, we got the Water Park & More option also with the thinking that we wanted to have the option to do everything. We decided after that last trip that we wasted a whole lot of money. I think we only used 2 of the WP&M options on a 7 day ticket. Such a waste!

But I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it used to be that you didn't get as many WP&M days as base days, but then they changed that so they are the same number. I think the first time, we made much better use because I don't think we had a full 7 days of WP&M.

Either way, we decided no more WP&M. If we want to go to the water parks, we'll buy a single day ticket for that park. And since we're staying at YC on this next trip, I'm pretty sure we won't have any interest in hitting either water park when we've got SAB at our doorstep.

No it wasn't, since the WP&M option costs considerably less than two individual WP or DQ admissions.

It was a waste because we would not have even gone twice if it wasn't for the fact that we felt like we had to use at least 2 of the options since we'd paid for them. If we didn't have them, we would have bought a 1 day admission to a Water Park and that would have been it.

It was a waste because we would not have even gone twice if it wasn't for the fact that we felt like we had to use at least 2 of the options since we'd paid for them. If we didn't have them, we would have bought a 1 day admission to a Water Park and that would have been it.

Ah...that's the problem with some of the offers. It's the same problem with the dining plan in some cases like ours. Sure, it would probably be a great deal if we ate that many TS meals, but since we usually don't, it would generally cost us MORE than it otherwise would.

At least it was only $6 (adult price) wasted.

I wonder how much waste is due to bad information from travel agents or even Disney's own CMs, that give out info like "just buy extra days and use those to park hop..."

No you don't, because you can't do that.
I never tried it always have a hopper, thats what they told me when they got back. Told me they were allowed in, but was told it would use another day of their pass.

People have this problem? Really?

Its plain and simple, at least for us, we will be there 8 days, 7 nights, thus we get 7 days of park hopper tickets (8th day we simply, get up, eat, leave).

Huh, I didn't realize this was common.

Our trips are 7 days, six nights, but we only buy five days worth of tickets since the first and last days are technically half-days due to fly-ins and fly-outs.

Huh, I didn't realize this was common.

Our trips are 7 days, six nights, but we only buy five days worth of tickets since the first and last days are technically half-days due to fly-ins and fly-outs.

We do the same as kdawg. We fly in early enough in the day and I don't think I could stand to actually be at WDW and not be able to go to the parks until the next day. Yes, it's not really a full day, but I've never felt like I was wasting anything or losing out because we weren't there when the park opened.

I guess it depends on your travel plans and personal preference. Of course, it is always sad on the end when you wake up still at your WDW resort and you know you can't go into a park, and you have to go home. :sad1:

Of course, it is always sad on the end when you wake up still at your WDW resort and you know you can't go into a park, and you have to go home. :sad1:

While I wait for the ME to pick me up, I try really really hard not to be so jealous of people in the "other" bus lines heading to the parks. :sad2:

I wonder how much waste is due to bad information from travel agents or even Disney's own CMs, that give out info like "just buy extra days and use those to park hop..."

I wonder about that sometimes too, for every 1 person here that asks a question to clarify what thier TA or Disney told them I'm sure there are dozens that took the TA and Disney's word for it and got ripped off. I know that Disney "should" be the go to for answers but sadly they aren't and some use a TA to make thing simplier but it seems that espically non Disney TA's don't have a clue so that simplier method is costing alot of travelers more money.

I am sure this quite common. I bet if you book through Disney (or an non-Disney knowledgeable TA), they automatically give you the number of days you will be there. They don't take into account arriving late, departing early, not going to a park some of the days. And, most people just automatically think they are given what they need. What a waste of $$!!

I never tried it always have a hopper, thats what they told me when they got back. Told me they were allowed in, but was told it would use another day of their pass.

Either there's some miscommunication going on or your friends ranted and raved until they were placated. Disney does not allow two days of a non-hopper to be used at different parks in the same day.

As wdw vacations get more and more expensive there will be less of this. I think there are very few people who will just fork over thousands without doing some basic research on what they are buying! This is why I started looking at the dis so much. I heard about a family of six that spent 12K on their vacation and I thought, "it can't possibly NEED to be that expensive. There must be a better way.". And there is. You may have to do some work but there are more economical options. The dis, mouse savers, and others are available to everyone.

Either there's some miscommunication going on or your friends ranted and raved until they were placated. Disney does not allow two days of a non-hopper to be used at different parks in the same day.

that makes sense that they would not allow it. too many mistakes could happen that way. I am going to see my friends this weekend, curiosity I am going to ask them about it. This was from a couple years back.
Maybe they just complained enough to get an exception.

As to original post I still stick to my first reply, I would think it happens quite often,

The use and purchase of hoppers and non-expires is completely subjective and depends entirely on the habits and intentions of the persons buying. For some, who wont' be coming back for a long time, and know they will go to the parks exactly 3 days during their trip, the no-expire isn't really needed. But a hopper may be very worthwhile.

For those who KNOW they will return again and again, but each time they go they may only go the parks a few days, then non-expire are very good investments if you buy in bulk.

It's cheaper to buy 10 NE PH tickets in one shot, and use them over many visits, than it is to buy just the amount you plan on using each visit (say 3-4) without the NE option.

Personally, I think buying 6 days for a 6 day trip is waste of money. I'm not going to go the parks every single day, especially days that I'm not in FL the whole time. In fact, I can do 2-3 parks in one day...there's one park day ticket. That's just me.

People just need to do the math and consider their habits and intentions.

I am sure this quite common. I bet if you book through Disney (or an non-Disney knowledgeable TA), they automatically give you the number of days you will be there. They don't take into account arriving late, departing early, not going to a park some of the days. And, most people just automatically think they are given what they need. What a waste of $$!!

Yes if you book through the website it will by default give you the max ticket, including a day when you arrive and a day when you leave.

It will also offer you the WPF&M option but it will not tell you specifically that if you go to a WP instead of a major park on a day that you should get a ticket for one less day.

This is I think is the number one question, besides using two "days" in one day, people not knowing exactly what a day is and thinking they need a "day" for every day they are there including days they may even be off property at SW or US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!