Fastpass return or replacement?

I think that when you add 3 more theme parks and park hopping into the mix, it complicates things a lot. If it was as easy as just using the same system that Shanghai uses, WDW would have had it sooner. I agree that pointing at France and China and saying that's the test for WDW ignores the much more complex environment in WDW.

It actually simplifies park hopping. You could never have fast passes in multiple parks at the same time. With the system in Paris/Shanghai you can only buy the fast passes when you are in the park. No reason they can't treat each park individually in this regard - ie. you can only buy fast passes for the park you are in at the time. There are going to be big changes and what I posted is my best guess purely for the purpose of discussion. They are almost definitely not going back to the old system... if they were they would have done so before the summer.

It actually simplifies park hopping. You could never have fast passes in multiple parks at the same time. With the system in Paris/Shanghai you can only buy the fast passes when you are in the park. No reason they can't treat each park individually in this regard - ie. you can only buy fast passes for the park you are in at the time. There are going to be big changes and what I posted is my best guess purely for the purpose of discussion. They are almost definitely not going back to the old system... if they were they would have done so before the summer.

I don’t think anyone is denying there will be big changes. We’re taking issue with the notion of using Paris and Shanghai as evidence of what will happen at WDW.

You could at WDW if you paid for it.

I don’t think anyone is denying there will be big changes. We’re taking issue with the notion of using Paris and Shanghai as evidence of what will happen at WDW.

I agree with you in that they will not do it exactly as in Paris/Shanghai..but I do see them going to sort of paid system for the most popular rides and then targeted "free" ride reservations for the less popular rides. It could be targeted based on spending history, resort stay or a multitude of factors to drive spending. Artificial intelligence is at a level now that they can use ride reservations to drive revenue and manage crowds on a minute by minute basis - something that was not available 20 years ago when they started fast pass. There have been rumors for years about Disney looking at how to monetize fast passes...COVID was the perfect setup to flush all the existing fast passes out of the system and reset customer expectations.

Last edited:
THIS! And just because a particular poster is choosing to repeat over and over that DPA is coming to WDW doesn’t make it so. The reliable sources that we’ve seen post over these threads have explained why a true copy of DPA would not work at WDW. Plus I have pointed out that each Disney Park around the world has a different FP system. Even Shanghai and Paris have different systems in spite of the DPA name being the same. And paid FP has been around for 4 years at Shanghai and in California, so no, Paris isn’t a “test”. Until we see an announcement from WDW, I will basically call BS on anyone that tries to state in absolutes what WDW will or won’t do.

THIS! And just because a particular poster is choosing to repeat over and over that DPA is coming to WDW doesn’t make it so. The reliable sources that we’ve seen post over these threads have explained why a true copy of DPA would not work at WDW. Plus I have pointed out that each Disney Park around the world has a different FP system. Even Shanghai and Paris have different systems in spite of the DPA name being the same. And paid FP has been around for 4 years at Shanghai and in California, so no, Paris isn’t a “test”. Until we see an announcement from WDW, I will basically call BS on anyone that tries to state in absolutes what WDW will or won’t do.

Exactly. None of us know what Disney will do, so posting in absolutes isn’t totally reasonable.

It is in Paris and Shanghai right now. That is the test...they are working out the kinks and as long as it is successful in those parks will roll it out in CA and FL - this will very likely occur before Oct 1. I doubt they will try to sell the passes for all the rides at WDW - it will just be for what they deem to be most popular rides (7DMT, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Avatar, Frozen, Rise of the Resistance etc...).

You say this is if you know this for a fact, which you don't.

Seems like the crowd on here doesn't like the idea of a paid fastpass program. As I said earlier, what I posted is my assumptions posted solely for discussion, based on my following of Disney investor presentation and CEO interviews where the repeating theme is that their overlying goal with the parks is to increase revenue per to guest. The parks are basically at capacity, so they need to increase revenue per guest. Fast passes are low hanging fruit since they are worth quite a bit and have been handed out for free. Other things such as significant increases in ticket prices, banning outside food etc. are tougher to push through without loss of customers. We shall see what happens...Im pretty sure they want something in place before they start the 50th anniversary.

Seems like the crowd on here doesn't like the idea of a paid fastpass program. As I said earlier, what I posted is my assumptions posted solely for discussion, based on my following of Disney investor presentation and CEO interviews where the repeating theme is that their overlying goal with the parks is to increase revenue per to guest and to practice disciplined yield management. The parks are basically at capacity, so they need to increase revenue per guest. Fast passes are low hanging fruit since they are worth quite a bit and have been handed out for free. Other things such as significant increases in ticket prices are tougher to push through without loss of customers.

That’s not it, though of course no one wants to pay for FP. We are reacting to you posting things that are speculation as though they are absolutes. Example: “It is in Paris and Shanghai right now. That is the test...they are working out the kinks and as long as it is successful in those parks will roll it out in CA and FL.”

There’s no problem with speculation, but you shouldn’t make it seem like you know for sure what’s going to happen. None of us do.

Please tell me that you have been back to the park since July and waited in the 80 minutes line for SDD, 50 minutes for MMRR in the pouring rain and 60 minutes for test track, all in the summer heat.

My family could only go to WDW in the summer and only one visit every couple of years since we need to save up for this very expensive trip. We don't do rope drop. Trips with FP+ were amazingly awesome!!! But the most recent trip in July was brutal without FP+. My stingy DH told me that he won't go back without FP+ even if it comes with a price tag.

I was going to the parks well before they introduced FP. You wait in line, or you go do something else, and come back later. I get that people feel like they do more when FP was available, but that is not true. I have done more rides in the last few trips since reopen then I have in my trips in the last decade. You can believe what you want, but FP increases the wait for every ride, for everyone because every ride has a limit. The more people that are going into the FP line, the longer everyone else waits. So you get your 3 or 4 FP for some rides, but then you are waiting much longer for the ones that you don't have a FP for because of people in those FP lines.

I was going to the parks well before they introduced FP. You wait in line, or you go do something else, and come back later. I get that people feel like they do more when FP was available, but that is not true. I have done more rides in the last few trips since reopen then I have in my trips in the last decade. You can believe what you want, but FP increases the wait for every ride, for everyone because every ride has a limit. The more people that are going into the FP line, the longer everyone else waits. So you get your 3 or 4 FP for some rides, but then you are waiting much longer for the ones that you don't have a FP for because of people in those FP lines.
So was I. And back then the lines weren't nearly as long as they would be today without fast pass because they're weren't as many people going then.

Seems like the crowd on here doesn't like the idea of a paid fastpass program. As I said earlier, what I posted is my assumptions posted solely for discussion, based on my following of Disney investor presentation and CEO interviews where the repeating theme is that their overlying goal with the parks is to increase revenue per to guest and to practice disciplined yield management. The parks are basically at capacity, so they need to increase revenue per guest. Fast passes are low hanging fruit since they are worth quite a bit and have been handed out for free. Other things such as significant increases in ticket prices are tougher to push through without loss of customers.
Literally no one here has said that we are totally against paid FastPass. You seem to like to make a lot of assumptions that aren’t based on fact.

The discussions on the former thread and this one have acknowledged that some form of paid system is likely coming. Most feel a hybrid of some free some paid is the most likely.

But WDW is unlike any other Disney property so trying to say that they’ll apply a system that is in place at a 1 park property like Shanghai that only has 12 FastPass eligible attractions. and Paris a 2 park property with 10 FastPass eligible attractions, is a ridiculous assumption especially given that you are stating it like a fact. WDW has 4 parks with 65 FastPass eligible attractions. There is NO comparison for WDW.

Last edited:
Literally no one here has said that we are against paid FastPass. You seem to like to make a lot of assumptions that aren’t based on fact.

The discussions on the former thread and this one have acknowledged that some form of paid system is likely coming. Most feel a hybrid of some free some paid is the most likely.

But WDW is unlike any other Disney property so trying to say that they’ll apply a system that is in place at a 1 park property like Shanghai that only has 12 FastPass eligible attractions. And Paris is a 2 park property with 10 FastPass eligible attractions. WDW has 4 parks with 65 FastPass eligible attractions. There is NO comparison for WDW.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

So was I. And back then the lines weren't nearly as long as they would be today without fast pass because they're weren't as many people going then.

You do understand that only a certain number of people can actually go on a ride at any given hour right? So, all of those people in the FP line are increasing the wait for those in standby. And I have been in the FP line where the wait in the FP line was 20+minutes, which is a lot of people to add to the ride every hour. So any ride, that you are not using your FP, the line will be much longer. So does it really save you all that much time to use those few FP, when every other line is increased? I would put my money on that it doesn't. Unless you are one of those that goes during a slower time, rope drops, and gets a bunch more FP. But the majority of people do not do that.

But have you gone this July? They raised capacity 3x for July park passes before my trip and one time after I got back. You can’t compare your last few trips with reduced capacity vs. now. And right now there is nothing else to go do if you choose not to wait in line.

Some are okay with a paid FP+ Tyler. Just as long as it doesn't cost us a first born.
Been lurking on the Fastpass threads for a while and am chiming in to say I agree with this! I’m excited about the possibility of a paid Fastpass. I love Fastpass+, with the exception of how difficult it can be to get some of the headliners. I’ve heard great things about Max pass in DL, and am intrigued by the idea of a system that lets me get fastpasses with a little less headache. Yes, it’s an added cost, but Disney isn’t somewhere I visit thinking I’ll get a deal. Anxiously waiting to see which way it all goes!

You do understand that only a certain number of people can actually go on a ride at any given hour right? So, all of those people in the FP line are increasing the wait for those in standby. And I have been in the FP line where the wait in the FP line was 20+minutes, which is a lot of people to add to the ride every hour. So any ride, that you are not using your FP, the line will be much longer. So does it really save you all that much time to use those few FP, when every other line is increased? I would put my money on that it doesn't. Unless you are one of those that goes during a slower time, rope drops, and gets a bunch more FP. But the majority of people do not do that.

No. No fastpass does not increase the line in standby.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."

THIS. The current Fastpass system has devolved into a zero sum for most, only benefiting the very few who know how to maximize gains under the current system combining rope drop, fast passes, extra magic hours etc. I am for certain looking forward to a paid FP system to avoid all of this and to just be able to show up to the park and get onto the rides we want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter