FAQ: Travelling to/from Orlando (Including PCR/Antigen Test Info for Canadians)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recent experiences with beepermd? We need pcr’s for our unvaccinated kids to go on our Disney cruise.
For what it's worth, I used Beeper in November and had no problems at all. They came to my condo, were done in 15 minutes, and I had my results in about 28 hours. I know they had issues after that, with cancellations, no-shows, etc. I did get a general update email from Beeper last month, stating they had struggled with staffing, but were now back to full staff. I did book them for my trip last month, but when it was announced that testing was ending April 1, I extended my trip by two days so I didn't have to test. I didn't cancel my scheduled Beeper appt. right away, just to see if they would in fact contact me. They did text me the night before, and then again the morning of the test. I cancelled at that time. And despite their website stating 'no refunds' (I paid $20 to book a 1-hour window), my credit card was immediately refunded.

Testing Requirements for Travelling to the US
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
You will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight. Age 2 and up.

If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

The U.S. will accept a Viral Antigen Test (aka Rapid Antigen Test), in addition to other options listed on the CDC website. The test just has to be 1 day prior (so if you fly on a Saturday, your test can be anytime on Friday or before your flight on Saturday)

If your province does not have easily accessible options for Rapid Antigen Testing, there is an option you can purchase ahead of time online and do at home from Switch Health.
https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan#collectionKitsSwitch Health Rapid Antigen Test Kit ($79 for 2 tests)
Can share test with 2 travelers by adding additional traveler as dependent in your account. This allows you to take the test at the same time. Very smooth process, allow 30 minutes from start to finish.

We are not travelling until early July, so I'm hoping the U.S. will drop that requirement. However, right now I'm trying to figure out where to book a test in case it is still required, and a little confused as to the different test names.

Are all "rapid antigen tests" the same offered at the drug stores and Switch Health? Or are there different tests and I need to look for a particular one?

Has anyone used the "Travel & General Public Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Screening $40" that Shoppers Drug Mart offers for travel purposes to get on a plane to the States?

We are not travelling until early July, so I'm hoping the U.S. will drop that requirement. However, right now I'm trying to figure out where to book a test in case it is still required, and a little confused as to the different test names.

Are all "rapid antigen tests" the same offered at the drug stores and Switch Health? Or are there different tests and I need to look for a particular one?

Has anyone used the "Travel & General Public Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Screening $40" that Shoppers Drug Mart offers for travel purposes to get on a plane to the States?
I used the Shopper's Rapid Antigen back in November when I flew out of Pearson. It was $40 back then also. I was able to book my appt. a week or two in advance. Just as an FYI, Shoppers also gives out free at-home Rapid Antigen tests (5 tests per pack), although for travel, you have to have taken one under the direction of qualified personnel (in person, or online).

Last edited:

Yes we have also used the Shoppers Drug Mart $40 rapid antigen tests for travel to the US in both December and February. The Switch Health antigen tests are also fine as they are supervised while doing them. We are leaving for wdw on Saturday and I have purchased the Switch Health kits this time. I was also hoping this test requirement would be dropped before we leave but no such luck!

Canada is the only country doing this. Insane
As mentioned, this is a U.S. requirement - has nothing to do with Canada. There are also other countries that mandate testing to enter, and some (check out Hong Kong) that have a whole lot more in terms of restrictions.
It is true, though, that recently most places have either dropped or eased their mandates.

I did it at Walmart in March. I leave in 17 days to go back again and keep hoping they’ll drop before them. Otherwise, I’ll book at Walmart again.

My son had a horrible headache earlier today and took some Tylenol and went to lay down. By the time he woke up he had a fever and felt nauseous and had started coughing. I rapid tested him and he tested positive.

We leave for Disney in exactly 20 days. We fly out of Toronto so we need to have a negative antigen test to fly. Once he is feeling better will he test negative?

He wouldn’t still test positive 20 days later on an antigen right ? I think it just PCR tests that are that sensitive but I wondered if anyone knew.

My son had a horrible headache earlier today and took some Tylenol and went to lay down. By the time he woke up he had a fever and felt nauseous and had started coughing. I rapid tested him and he tested positive.

We leave for Disney in exactly 20 days. We fly out of Toronto so we need to have a negative antigen test to fly. Once he is feeling better will he test negative?

He wouldn’t still test positive 20 days later on an antigen right ? I think it just PCR tests that are that sensitive but I wondered if anyone knew.
He should be fine…we all had it and tested negative (antigen) after about 10 days. The challenge will be if the rest of you catch it on a rolling basis.
As an example, my eldest got it and then my youngest got sick 7 days later. I didn’t get sick until 6 days after her (13 days after my eldest). None of us tested positive until we had full blown symptoms.
🤞it all works out for you
ETA: removed reference to masking just in case it violates policy. @pigletto please message me if you want details on what I did differently between the two

Last edited:
He should be fine…we all had it and tested negative (antigen) after about 10 days. The challenge will be if the rest of you catch it on a rolling basis.
As an example, my eldest got it and then my youngest got sick 7 days later. I didn’t get sick until 6 days after her (13 days after my eldest). None of us tested positive until we had full blown symptoms.
I made the mistake of not masking around my youngest (I did with my eldest) thinking that if I was going to get it I would have already.
🤞it all works out for you
This is exactly what is happening with our family right now. Our eldest tested positive on Easter Sunday after 2 days of very mild symptoms (day 3 was more symptoms which is why we tested her). It was a full week before my youngest and I tested positive (also day 3 of the worst of it). Today, my oldest is now testing negative and guess who just tested positive? Yep, my DH. The fourth and final member of the family 🤦. We aren't traveling til end of July do won't bother with the recovery letter but yes...it takes a while to work it's way through everyone in the same house sometimes 😬🙄🤦

Thanks to you both for the answer. The rolling infections is my biggest worry . We will have to see I guess. From our tracing we know our son caught it from a friend he went to the movies with last Thursday. Friend missed the next day of school with a migraine. That was his only symptom so he didn’t Covid test until after my son said he was positive yesterday . Friend is positive too.

My son then went and spent the weekend with my daughter and her fiancé. Both of them starting feeling sick this morning and tested positive this afternoon. I’ve got some mild symptoms but I’m still testing negative. I imagine it’s just a matter of time. The only one feeling very sick is DS18, who has been in bed for almost 24 hours and just feels awful.
Ideally this will roll through our house quickly and we will be done with it long before we leave. We are hunkered down and going nowhere .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter