FAQ: Travelling to/from Orlando (Including PCR/Antigen Test Info for Canadians)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted on another discussion but does anyone have first hand information about using Switch Health Antigen test to enter the U.S? Flying out on Saturday and want to insure their video tests are accepted
Yes we used them 2 weeks ago to enter US - very easy. We will be taking them again this weekend to go back home.

Yes we used them 2 weeks ago to enter US - very easy. We will be taking them again this weekend to go back home.
Sorry, do you mean using them to return to Canada? Do they upload to ArriveCan? Can you tell me as far as you know, what happens if you test positive on the return/entry test to Canada? Do you have to quarantine where you are? Sorry if this has been answered I've been on the cruising forum and I'm confused. TIA!

Agreed, at least for US travel. Allowing rapid tests is probably more helpful for destinations where molecular tests are more expensive or harder to find.

Walgreens is still our "plan A" as well. The only thing the new rules have won us is a backup plan. If something goes wrong with our NAAT test or someone tests positive, we'll fall back to finding a local RAT or maybe using that Life Centers service or something similar. Luckily we still have ten unused rapid tests that the Ontario government sent home with our kids last Christmas!
I didnt think those free school tests were accepted for re-entry into Canada because they are not monitored?

I didnt think those free school tests were accepted for re-entry into Canada because they are not monitored?

There are some posts up thread about services (one in particular, out of Calgary, called "Life Centers") that provide remote proctoring services using BYO Health Canada approved tests. The fee is much cheaper than any lab administered test, especially when you can obtain the test kit itself for free.

But you're right that you can't just take the school provided test (or any other RAT) yourself and show the border agent the result. It has to be observed (and documented) "by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service".

Details are here, FYI: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing

Sorry, do you mean using them to return to Canada? Do they upload to ArriveCan? Can you tell me as far as you know, what happens if you test positive on the return/entry test to Canada? Do you have to quarantine where you are? Sorry if this has been answered I've been on the cruising forum and I'm confused. TIA!

Officially, if you try to enter Canada with a positive pre-departure test, you may be subject to a fine of up to $5000, but as a Canadian citizen you can't be denied entry. Unofficially, people are reporting that at land crossings, fines are not routinely imposed and those with positive results are just being sent home to quarantine, as long as there is an appropriate quarantine plan in place.

I've only flown internationally once since border restrictions were put in place, and on that occasion the Air Canada check-in agent insisted I had to have ArriveCan approval before I would be allowed to board the plane. So in that case, if someone didn't have a negative result they wouldn't be allowed to travel, and would have to quarantine in place, according to whatever the local rules are, until either a negative test is obtained or 10 days have passed after a positive PCR test. But that was from The Bahamas, last summer, so YMMV.

There is also still random arrival testing. If you are tested, you don't have to quarantine while waiting for results, but of course if your result is positive you would be expected to quarantine (at home) at that point.

All of this assumes you are vaccinated, of course. If not, I believe you are subject to quarantine on arrival in any case.

Also, re ArriveCan, the lab won't upload anything directly. They will provide you with documented results (usually by email), and YOU will upload that into your ArriveCan account.

Officially, if you try to enter Canada with a positive pre-departure test, you may be subject to a fine of up to $5000, but as a Canadian citizen you can't be denied entry. Unofficially, people are reporting that at land crossings, fines are not routinely imposed and those with positive results are just being sent home to quarantine, as long as there is an appropriate quarantine plan in place.

I've only flown internationally once since border restrictions were put in place, and on that occasion the Air Canada check-in agent insisted I had to have ArriveCan approval before I would be allowed to board the plane. So in that case, if someone didn't have a negative result they wouldn't be allowed to travel, and would have to quarantine in place, according to whatever the local rules are, until either a negative test is obtained or 10 days have passed after a positive PCR test. But that was from The Bahamas, last summer, so YMMV.

There is also still random arrival testing. If you are tested, you don't have to quarantine while waiting for results, but of course if your result is positive you would be expected to quarantine (at home) at that point.

All of this assumes you are vaccinated, of course. If not, I believe you are subject to quarantine on arrival in any case.

Also, re ArriveCan, the lab won't upload anything directly. They will provide you with documented results (usually by email), and YOU will upload that into your ArriveCan account.
Thanks so much. I dont know why the website cannot be that clear. All understood now.

There are some posts up thread about services (one in particular, out of Calgary, called "Life Centers") that provide remote proctoring services using BYO Health Canada approved tests. The fee is much cheaper than any lab administered test, especially when you can obtain the test kit itself for free.

But you're right that you can't just take the school provided test (or any other RAT) yourself and show the border agent the result. It has to be observed (and documented) "by a pharmacy, laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service".

Details are here, FYI: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing
Thank you very much, so many acronyms! I've read the goverment site but you've made it clearer.

Sorry again, follow up: are these acceptable if they are done as part of a BYO consult on the internet? Thank you

Attachments

• 20220311_095039.jpg
    20220311_095039.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 5
If the rumors are true, do you extend any trips until the 31st to avoid testing? :D

Or if someone has a positive, will people just be able to get on the plane anyway starting on the 31st and not follow the 10 day no fly rule?

If the rumors are true, do you extend any trips until the 31st to avoid testing? :D

Or if someone has a positive, will people just be able to get on the plane anyway starting on the 31st and not follow the 10 day no fly rule?
If they drop testing then there is no reason to test so you will be able to fly home. In Ontario as of this past Wednesday if you are fully vaccinated and have come in contact with a person that is positive you do not have to quarantine at all. You only have to quarantine for 5 days if YOU tested positive.

Sorry again, follow up: are these acceptable if they are done as part of a BYO consult on the internet? Thank you
Can confirm these are acceptable thru lifecenters. We used the Abbott tests, but these were an option on the form (the nurse asks which brand and marks it for you). Easy process…we’ll be using them again to return to Canada.

Ohhh I really hope no testing for vaxxed as of March 31st happens! I'm being pushed to take the cruise I won or lose it (originally booked in 2020) but all the travel restrictions have made it difficult. I believe I can take my work laptop with me and just work from a hotel if I tested postitive but I would need to clear that with work. My first friend, who was booked with me 2 years ago, has since cancelled as she will not get vaccinated. My second friend just today told me she can't go as she cannot risk being stuck in the States for 10 days if she tested positive.

I too love the idea of testing to return going away ... but I don't know that I'd count on it. It does seem that the powers that be are committed to reviewing all the mandates at the end of this month, but reviewing and removing are very different things.
The response to date by the federal government to the travel lobbyists demands to end testing has been pretty consistent - we heard you, and made it easier to travel by allowing antigens (whether or not that actually makes it easier is of course up for debate), but we are committed to testing as a way of tracking variants and to protect public health.
I would not be surprised if they stick to that strategy - which is in general politically popular - and keep the testing mandate in place indefinitely. I would certainly not bet on having to test negative to get on a plane ending. But, again, I hope I'm wrong.

Good points but I think most variants fly in from other countries so I can see them never lifting the testing for flyers but the land borders they are mostly domestic so they should lift it for them.

Just read through all the info and I just realized I don’t need to stress about testing upon returning. We had Covid in January. We are going last week of April. We just need to do the $16.99 RAT from Costco to enter the US.
I didn’t know positive results are 180 days for Canada. I’m so happy and relieved. Thanks Dis😀

Just read through all the info and I just realized I don’t need to stress about testing upon returning. We had Covid in January. We are going last week of April. We just need to do the $16.99 RAT from Costco to enter the US.
I didn’t know positive results are 180 days for Canada. I’m so happy and relieved. Thanks Dis😀

Just make sure you have the PCR test results as your proof that you had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter