Fantastical Moments: Sailing the Fantasy Western Caribbean 10/25 – 11/1/2014!!!!

Your report is AWESOME! Beautiful pictures! Can't wait for more! We are booked for the Halloween cruise on the Fantasy with this itinerary this coming october so I am really enjoying this report!:cool1:

Loving your report! We were on the Fantasy immediately before you for the 10/18 Eastern, so it's fun to see how close things were to when we were on the ship (on our cruise, there were servers at all stations in Cabanas until Day 4, though we had the same experience at Palo Brunch as you on Day 6). Loving the photos and can't wait for more!!

I am LOVING your photos! You are really talented. We are heading off on our very first Disney Cruise in just 2 days - onboard the Fantasy also but the Eastern Caribbean itinerary! Ekk am getting so excited. I will have to show my husband your photos as he is an aspiring amteur photographer and loves getting ideas from other peoples work :)

Thanks, everyone!!!!! Just started taking online classes a few weeks ago; so that slowed things down for me. But I've gotten most of the writing done. Just need to compile things together. Doing Day 5 right now!!!!!

We were on the cruise with you. Love looking at the pictures and remembering.

We were on the cruise with you. Love looking at the pictures and remembering.

Cool!!! If you wanna share some different viewpoints, or even some pictures here, feel free!!!!!

Day 5: Exodus: Movement of "Cruise" People!!!!!

(clickable)
A Fantastical Morning in Jamaica by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Today, we would finally have the chance to experience Jamaica. Going in, we had thought about doing a beach excursion; but it was a little pricier than what we were comfortable spending. And because we wanted our DD to be involved in whatever we do; her age kept us from some of the other excursions. So the only real plan was to possibly check out Margaritaville. We weren’t completely sure what to expect there; but we knew there was a pool and stuff. It was a crap-shoot on what we would eventually end up doing; but we at least wanted to get off the boat for a little bit.

So heading out this morning to catch the sunrise, I realize that it’s right at the time that we would start pulling into port. Although the sun wasn’t directly behind the island, I was envisioning getting some pictures with at least some of the beautiful Jamaican hills in the scene. That unfortunately didn’t work out the way I expected. The reason… humidity. Usually, when I take my DSLR from a cold room, and enter the warm morning air, the inside of my lens fogs up. And I’ve realized that there’s not much that I can do. I just have to wait for it to go away. Luckily, I can at least use my iPhone to snap some pics. I don’t like resorting to that; but at least I don’t walk away empty handed. And of course, as what also usually happens; as soon as the sun is out of its main “rise” phase, my camera is cleared and ready to go!!!! By this time, we are just about to really pull into port. So I stay out a little while longer, to get some shots of that happening.

Well…. I didn’t really miss too much of the nice sunrise. This is when my camera started behaving…
IMG_6409 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6418 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Love the tongue-in-cheek sign of not being allowed to throw anything over the side…..
IMG_6424 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

(clickable)

Satellite Falls Rainbow Ring by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6447 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Day 5: Exodus: Movement of "Cruise" People!!!

After breakfast, we make our way off the ship. I believe that the port area was somewhat recently built. And you could tell; because everything was beautifully done, and still in excellent condition. There were mainly just a lot of shops, and a few places to eat. But from the top of the boat, you could also see that beyond this little port area, there was hardly anything around. To be more specific, looking left and right, there was NOTHING around. You couldn’t see part of a beach… no other tourist areas….. just… nothing!!! So I could see why a simple beach excursion might’ve been pricey. I know it was probably a decent drive.

Anyway, we make our way over to Margaritaville. (I would’ve gotten some shots of Margaritaville, but my lens had fogged up again) For some reason, I was kind of expecting something a little more grand. I don’t know why, but I was. And to actually go in the pool area, you would’ve had to eat there first. Heck, we wanted to just walk by the pool, to see if it was something possibly worth doing. But we couldn’t even get that far. So we decided to get a table, and at least get a little something to eat. But since we had just eaten breakfast, I wasn’t hungry at all. My wife ended up getting upset with me, because she thought I was being difficult. So we just left without ordering anything. I would call that a good move though. Not that there was anything bad about where we were. But I don’t think the pool was really for families. There wasn’t anything crazy going on. But it was on the smaller side, and they were doing adult games poolside. And hey, it was just a pool anyway. There are good ones on the ship!!!!!!

IMG_6491 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6492 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6468 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

We then start walking around a little bit; and go in a couple of the stores. After a short walk, we see that the stores end; then there’s a walkway with different signs depicting Jamaican history; as well as celebrating some of its famous residents. Although I said that there was nothing besides this port area; I should say that from the ship, I could see a little something right past this newer port area… the REAL Jamaica!!!! At the end of that historic walkway, there’s a fence (with guards) that separates the new from the old. And the old is basically what has always been there. The buildings and everything were run down; and there was just a load of activity all around. You could definitely go over there; because there appeared to be some more tourist traps back there, and some of the people would try to wave you over. But it didn’t appear to be the best of places. Maybe if it was just me and my wife; we would’ve given it a shot. But with a little one, it wasn’t worth the hassle. It’s kinda sad there’s a fence that you know is to keep some of the locals from easily getting to the cruise tourists. But that’s how it is.

IMG_6478 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The REAL Jamaica…
IMG_6474 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

This was the highlight of our time on the island. Our daughter had exclaimed happily, “Look, I’m walking under a tree!!!”
IMG_6479 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6480 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6485 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

I really like your picture of the "real" Jamaica - you captured it wonderfully. this is how i remember Jamaica from our honeymoon. Your daughter walking under the tree is adorable!

I really like your picture of the "real" Jamaica - you captured it wonderfully. this is how i remember Jamaica from our honeymoon. Your daughter walking under the tree is adorable!

Thanks a lot!!!!! I kinda wish i had more pictures of the real Jamaica though. My wife probably would've frowned on me walking around by myself though.

Day 5: Exodus: Movement of "Cruise" People

Here’s a better view of how the area is separated. The red roofed buildings, and the open areas right near them are the main tourist locations. Everything after that is more of the real Jamaica. So maybe we should’ve walked around a tad bit. Oh well. Maybe next time……
IMG_6496 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The entry point when you get off the ship….
IMG_6505 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Now that we can say that we’ve “been to Jamaica”, we head back aboard the boat. The first thing we do is grab lunch at Cabanas. I believe that there were a couple of Jamaican themed dishes to be had; but I can’t recall what. It was cool that they had a little Bob Marley playing though. It’s nice hearing that in general. But while in Jamaica, it’s only fitting!!!! We end up having a nice little time just being onboard. We went out and played Goofy’s Golf for the first time ever. And afterwards, we spent some time in the Mickey pool and at Nemo’s Reef.

IMG_6499 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6517 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After washing up and stuff, it was now time to get ready for Pirate Night!!!! My wife and I never dress up for this (although I did entertain the idea), but we had a costume all ready for our daughter. It was also a nice time to get ready, because some of the characters were gonna be out and about as well. We actually ended up meeting Captain Hook and Smee. And a little secret that ALMOST went unnoticed… Smee forged Hook’s signature!!!! I originally thought I was losing my mind, because we wanted Hook’s autograph as well; and I didn’t see him grab the book. But when I looked at it, I saw that both sigs were there. Oh well. Still got it!!! Because it was pretty nice outside, we decided to walk around Deck 4 for a bit. Our DD jumps at any opportunity to run around some; so if there’s anywhere it’s acceptable, you know it’s Deck 4. So we had a nice relaxing “stroll” there. And we even saw a beautiful double rainbow with some of the Jamaican backdrop in there. So that was a nice little bonus.

Before our dinner tonight (which would be in Enchanted Garden) there was a Disney Junior Pirate and Princess Party, in the D Lounge. This half-hour celebration was a nice way to really kick off Pirate Night. And the guests of honor for it were Sofia the First and Jake!!! There actually a nice little turn-out for the party. And many people were already in their pirate wear.

IMG_6554 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6558 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6570 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6583 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Our daughter is a very picky eater, but she absolutely devoured the cornbread. We even took a plate of it back to the room…
IMG_6648 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

(clickable)
Enchanted Garden: Cupid Mickey by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Day 5: Exodus: Movement of "Cruise" People

IMG_6657 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After dinner, we met up with our DD’s friend, and went to a pirate party on Deck 11; Mickey’s Pirates in the Caribbean. This wasn’t the main one with fireworks and all. But this was a cutesy type show featuring the main Disney characters. It was great that Disney did this; in there were little ones that couldn’t stay awake late enough for the “takeover” show. While killing some time, and talking with our friends for a little bit; we asked what their Jamaica experience was like. They didn’t book any excursions either. But when they got off the ship, they found someone who not only took them to a beach, but to a great place to eat as well. And not for a whole lot of money either. So if we ever make it back, doing something like that might be best for us. When we stopped at San Juan a couple of years ago, we ended up taking a tour van that was just trying to grab people coming off the ships. It was quite the unique experience (from being left behind with the 1st van), but well worth it. We also decided to skip the post-dinner show tonight. It wasn’t going to be an actual stage production tonight; but they would be playing the recently released “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day”. If our daughter was a little older, we might’ve caught it. But we couldn’t see her being all that interested in it. So we just ended up spending more time with our new friends. And the girls had quite a nice time when it came to getting photos taken in the atrium. First, they got to meet Daisy Duck together. Then, surprisingly, the other little girl grabbed her mom’s Stateroom key; then led our DD over to the professional photographer who had the white backdrop. And it was cool to see our daughter just totally go along. There ended up being some really nice pics to come from there. And those white backdrop types of pictures are something we never try to do. It’s crazy the nice surprises that kids will conjure.

IMG_6661 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6669 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After our photo sessions were complete, it was time to start heading up for the main pirate party and fireworks. A lot of people on the ship had the same game plan as well. So when it came to getting in the packed elevators, I was the odd man out in our party. And for some reason, I had the crazy idea of taking the stairs from the atrium (Deck 3), up to where the festivities would be held (Deck 11). At about Deck 6 or so, I saw an elevator open up that had some room in it. I immediately made my way inside, and was greeted with a nice surprise… Stitch was in there!!!!!! I didn’t think too much of it at first, especially since there were quite a few other people in there as well. And even though he was in the back, and I was in the front; there was just enough space for him to approach me, and do what Stitch would do. I of course had my DSLR on me. And as I’m standing there, he comes up to my camera… lifts it up…. then basically looks right into it. And I am “forced” to capture this awesome moment. The shame of him!!!!

My Fantastical Moment!!!!!
IMG_6670 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6676 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The party and fireworks were cool though. I like that it isn’t all super nice and sweet Disney. The main character is Captain Jack; so of course it’ll only be so sweet. But they at least have some nice fear elements in the show. Hey, we’re talking about pirates here!!!! To top the evening off, a stop at Cabanas is definitely mandatory. After the fireworks are done; there is some great late night food to be had there. The main offerings being turkey legs, crepes, and many desserts!!! Even if you want to skip the show for some reason, but love having endless food while on a cruise, you should make it a point to hit up Cabanas.

IMG_6684 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6696 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6701 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6708 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Wow! These pictures are convincing me to make sure I see that pirate night show. Looks amazing. And omg, your sweet daughter is just adorable in that pirate outfit!!

Wow! These pictures are convincing me to make sure I see that pirate night show. Looks amazing. And omg, your sweet daughter is just adorable in that pirate outfit!!

That show is definitely a must see. And it's cool when you're sitting deck level with the stage, and a few of the pirates are going through the crowd. Makes you feel sort of part of the experience.

WOW just now following along your photos are so amazing :goodvibes I am looking into a new camera what type do you use if you don't mind me asking?? Also your daughter is so adorable love all her little outfits especially pirate night! we are taking this cruise in two months for our honeymoon so your report is very informative!

Melissa

WOW just now following along your photos are so amazing :goodvibes I am looking into a new camera what type do you use if you don't mind me asking?? Also your daughter is so adorable love all her little outfits especially pirate night! we are taking this cruise in two months for our honeymoon so your report is very informative!

Melissa

Thanks a lot!!! And i use a Canon Rebel T4i. My main lens, especially when on the ship, is a Sigma 18-35 f/1.8. It's great for all of the indoor shots.

You'll have an amazing time on your honeymoon. I always say that this cruise is more for adults than children. There's so much for you to do.

Your little one is a pretty awesome pirate! Thanks for sharing. You picture are very beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter