Family of Five...Help! Where do we go?

That's just what the cast member told me when I booked?
I was told the same thing when we booked two rooms at POR for our party, we had kids all under the age of 13 and when we got to the room we had rooms next to each other, but not adjoining. We then spent about 2 hours working with the desk to get what we needed, it was a nightmare while the kids sat in the lobby after 2 days of driving...but then they moved us to POFQ and it was beautiful. I don't know if I ever want to go through that again, or run the risk of not getting actual connecting rooms. I've thought about trying CBR since they have more rooms, maybe they have more that connect?

when we got to the room we had rooms next to each other, but not adjoining.

That is the very definition of "adjoining."

Did you request adjoining (rooms next to each other) or connecting (rooms connected via an interior door)? It's important to make this distinction. If you request adjoining rooms, you probably won't get connecting rooms (and you might not get them anyway, even if you request them).

I was told the same thing when we booked two rooms at POR for our party, we had kids all under the age of 13 and when we got to the room we had rooms next to each other, but not adjoining. We then spent about 2 hours working with the desk to get what we needed, it was a nightmare while the kids sat in the lobby after 2 days of driving...but then they moved us to POFQ and it was beautiful. I don't know if I ever want to go through that again, or run the risk of not getting actual connecting rooms. I've thought about trying CBR since they have more rooms, maybe they have more that connect?
I don't think any have a higher percentage that POR/FQ does. If you look at the room charts on Andre's site you'll see about half of their rooms connect.

I hate that they tell people over the phone that they can guarantee connecting rooms. They are never guaranteed. Even the Disney web site states they are only a request. And if you think about it, there is no way for them to honestly guarantee them. Disney does not block out rooms as we book them. The person on the phone has no way of knowing if there will be connecting rooms available when you arrive at the resort. No way at all!

If any poster wants connecting rooms and couldn't make due if the rooms don't connect, then they need to be aware they are taking a chance by booking 2 rooms. You could be lucky and move resorts, or you could be told nothing is available.

That is the very definition of "adjoining."

Did you request adjoining (rooms next to each other) or connecting (rooms connected via an interior door)? It's important to make this distinction. If you request adjoining rooms, you probably won't get connecting rooms (and you might not get them anyway, even if you request them).
Sorry, wrong term. I was told by the TA that since I only had 2 non-minors in my group that I would be guaranteed connecting rooms, I was given adjoining instead.

I hate that they tell people over the phone that they can guarantee connecting rooms. They are never guaranteed. Even the Disney web site states they are only a request. And if you think about it, there is no way for them to honestly guarantee them. Disney does not block out rooms as we book them. The person on the phone has no way of knowing if there will be connecting rooms available when you arrive at the resort. No way at all!

If any poster wants connecting rooms and couldn't make due if the rooms don't connect, then they need to be aware they are taking a chance by booking 2 rooms. You could be lucky and move resorts, or you could be told nothing is available.
Could and would are two different things. They could do this if they chose to consider them something akin to lock-offs. In a computer system, this is completely possible...but it might not be worth it for Disney to do so. I agree that you are taking a chance...which is why I don't know if I'll try it again. At this point, my family is a party of 10 and would need 2 5-person rooms...so instead I'll be staying at WBC or a rental house again.

The thing with connecting rooms is that if you have at least two adults, they assume they can split you up and one adult can go into each room, leaving no children unsupervised. There is absolutely NO guarantee that they'll be connecting or even adjoining.

Only time I've ever heard of a guarantee is when one adult is booking two rooms and has multiple minors with them, none of whom can be in a room alone. Then they made sure to put the two rooms together.

For the age of your kids I think AoA would be a lot of fun, my daughter loved it there, plus having two separate sleeping areas was nice. The main pool is awesome for little kids.

Connecting rooms are guaranteed when there is only 1 adult traveling with 3 or more children . . . I know this because I've done it on trips I have chaperoned.

That is indeed a surprise, because when I did the online check in, I was only able to select 1 option/request (as opposed to the usual 2) and in the first spot was greyed out text stating something to the effect of guaranteed connected rooms due to minor/adult ratio in a multi-room reservation. Wish I hadn't completed that trip yet so that I could post a screen shot!

That is indeed a surprise, because when I did the online check in, I was only able to select 1 option/request (as opposed to the usual 2) and in the first spot was greyed out text stating something to the effect of guaranteed connected rooms due to minor/adult ratio in a multi-room reservation. Wish I hadn't completed that trip yet so that I could post a screen shot!

I don't doubt it shows that. But Disney truly guarantees nothing. They have themselves covered enough that even if you showed up with that printed, and they didn't have connecting rooms for you, that they could say Yeah, But... Even paid for room types are not guaranteed. Heck, they are known to move people to different resorts. I've been downgraded twice from a paid for room type. Their guarantee is not worth a whole lot, and it isn't advisable to rely on it. Odds are good you will get connecting rooms, but they are not 100% guaranteed. Nothing at Disney is.

I would suggest a FW cabin. MK area, lots to do and a good fit for the ages of your children.
I would think that the deluxes would be out of that price range.
There's nothing wrong with a moderate room with the Murphy bed either. Your youngest is still small enough that I don't think one room would feel too cramped(yet).

So here's a little backstory. We were supposed to go last year during free dining starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving through the first Sunday of December. My husband ended up getting a new job which came with a pay raise so that was good news but it was too close to our vacation to ask for a week off, so we decided to push it back by a year. The good news about this is now our budget increased but so did our kids age range. So now instead of having a 2, 3, and 8 year old we have a 3, 4 and 9 year old. This has moved us out of quite a few places. We want to stay in the 2000-3500 range so that way regardless if we get free dining or not we can easily afford it and that way free dining is just a bonus. We are staying 8 nights and any feedback would be helpful...TIA

We stayed at POR for four straight trips once my kids aged us out of value. They still want to give it another try, and they are currently 10, 11, & 14. We never had any issues staying there and then pool and food court are fantastic. So is yee ha bob!

We now opt for beach club or poly - but POR holds a special place in my heart!

We are a family of 5, and stayed at POR, Poly, and the cabins.

A lot would depend on how much time you will be spending in the room (not just at the resort, but actually in the room). If you are going to be using the room for sleeping and not much else, I would book POR. For our dates:

POR - $229/night
ASM suite - $307/night
AoA suite - $390/night
Cabins - $327/night
GF - $605/night
Poly - $474/night

If you are going to be spending lots of time in the rooms, I would go with ASM. I don't think AoA is worth over $80/night more. Poly and GF don't give you that much more room than POR, at least not enough to make a difference if spending lots of time in the room.

If you are planning to spend a lot of time in the resorts, but not necessarily in the room, then GF and Poly make more sense. While monorail or boat to MK is very nice (and, in the case of Poly, walk to TTC for monorail to Epcot), that alone is not worth the price jump, in my mind.

Cabins gives you more room than the suites, but only 1 bathroom. If you will have your own car, I would choose cabin instead of ASM suite. You have your own parking spot by your cabin, and it's great driving to the parks (except MK). For MK, bus or walk to the boat launch (depending on how far you are). When we stayed at the cabins, we lucked out and were in loop 100, right near the MK launch. Didn't request it, it was pure pixiedust:
We had a car, so we took our car from our front porch to the parks, except MK which was a short walk to the boat launch.

If you are using Disney transport, and you are in a cabin far from the main bus stop, then it would be 2 busses to every park. Hence, I would pick ASM suite over this.

Oh, what you reserve now will not effect what happens with free dining. If free dining comes out on your dates, you would need a whole new reservation anyway. So, make a reservation now assuming you won't get free dining. Then, if free dining comes out for your dates, and are able to get it, just cancel this first reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter