Family of Five...Help! Where do we go?

disneylovinmom3

Mouseketeer
So here's a little backstory. We were supposed to go last year during free dining starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving through the first Sunday of December. My husband ended up getting a new job which came with a pay raise so that was good news but it was too close to our vacation to ask for a week off, so we decided to push it back by a year. The good news about this is now our budget increased but so did our kids age range. So now instead of having a 2, 3, and 8 year old we have a 3, 4 and 9 year old. This has moved us out of quite a few places. We want to stay in the 2000-3500 range so that way regardless if we get free dining or not we can easily afford it and that way free dining is just a bonus. We are staying 8 nights and any feedback would be helpful...TIA

So here's a little backstory. We were supposed to go last year during free dining starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving through the first Sunday of December. My husband ended up getting a new job which came with a pay raise so that was good news but it was too close to our vacation to ask for a week off, so we decided to push it back by a year. The good news about this is now our budget increased but so did our kids age range. So now instead of having a 2, 3, and 8 year old we have a 3, 4 and 9 year old. This has moved us out of quite a few places. We want to stay in the 2000-3500 range so that way regardless if we get free dining or not we can easily afford it and that way free dining is just a bonus. We are staying 8 nights and any feedback would be helpful...TIA

Is that price range just for lodging, or are you including meals and park tickets in that total?

For comfort of all involved, a family suite would be ideal to me. If you booked one at the All Star Music, it would run just under $2,300 for 8 nights including tax the week after Thanksgiving room only.

You could all squeeze into one room at POR, but it would be the same price. For 8 nights, I couldn't do one room with 5 people and get any decent sleep. The deluxe resorts will be a lot more, and still, one room.

With a family suite, you have a kitchenette (microwave, coffee maker, and fridge), so could order food for quick meals in the room.

Can you look into a 1 BR at OKW? I haven't stayed there, but I've looked into it and it looks nice with bigger rooms. Or maybe the family suites at AoA? Good luck!

Places that will sleep 5, with sleep surfaces for all:
  • Most deluxe Standard rooms, minus AKL and WL
  • Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Port Orleans Riverside
  • ASMu Family Suite
  • AOA Family Suite
  • A variety of DVC villas, which will generally be more expensive than the above because you're planning too late to rent points for many studios and would be looking at 1BRs

I looked up and Family Suites at AOA are going to run more, like $80/night or so. Definitely worth looking into though.

A one bedroom at OKW will run about twice the cost, if booked through Disney. Renting points will be just under $3,000. I never thought that resort had as much appeal, but having a washer/dryer is nice!

All Star Music Family Suites. We have done these several times and we really like them. It's nice because mom and dad get a private room to themselves with a bigger bed and then there is plenty of space for the kiddos, plus you get two bathrooms and more room for breakfast stuff/snacks. My son reports that the sofa bed is "fine" and he was 13 the last time he used it so it should be fine for younger kinds.

How about the cabins? They sleep 6, have a kitchen, a deck, a bbq grill and lots to do at the campground for little kids. I have stayed there with 5 teenagers and myself once and it was great. Staying there again for 1 night at the end of March because it fits my now grown family of 5.

I would go with ASMu suites or a FW cabin, whichever appeals to you more. Either would fit your family, while giving you lots of space. The cabins have a boat to the MK and have lots of great activities, but only one bathroom. The ASMu suite has a separate bedroom for Mom and Dad as well two bathrooms.

Enjoy your trip!

For comfort of all involved, a family suite would be ideal to me. If you booked one at the All Star Music, it would run just under $2,300 for 8 nights including tax the week after Thanksgiving room only.

You could all squeeze into one room at POR, but it would be the same price. For 8 nights, I couldn't do one room with 5 people and get any decent sleep. The deluxe resorts will be a lot more, and still, one room.

With a family suite, you have a kitchenette (microwave, coffee maker, and fridge), so could order food for quick meals in the room.
We did POR a couple of times with a family of 5 when everyone was younger and it wasn't bad, but the rooms aren't particularly big and you get kind of cramped. Disney is so exhausting that I always got to sleep pretty quickly but not really the best vacation I've ever had.

We are a family of 5 (kids 11,9 and 7) and we are doing two rooms at All-Star Music. We had a suite booked, but with 2 rooms we get 4 actual beds and more space which will be nice. And since there are only 2 adults we are guaranteed connecting rooms. It was about $400 cheaper for 8 nights than a suite. We lose a microwave, but we won't use that anyway.

How about the cabins? They sleep 6, have a kitchen, a deck, a bbq grill and lots to do at the campground for little kids. I have stayed there with 5 teenagers and myself once and it was great. Staying there again for 1 night at the end of March because it fits my now grown family of 5.

We stayed at the cabins last time we went, with a 3, 5 and 7 year old. It was great! We never came back during the day for naps....the logistics and time were just too much. However, the start of / end of day transport to the cabins was fine. We didn't have a golf cart (just couldn't bring myself to spend another $500 on that), we were near the outside of a loop, fairly near to the parks' bus transport (so we didn't have to take an internal bus unless we went to MK).
The separate bedroom was great for the kids, and my hubby and I could watch tv or chat in the evenings.
We didn't cook full meals, but did have prep breakfast (cereal, toast, fruit) and sandwiches. We loved the full sized fridge for all our food and water, and used the microwave to make quick foods and popcorn.
We loved the deck, and my kids loved watching for wildlife around our room, and on our walks.

We are planning another trip this September, and will be back here if FD doesn't pan out (we're currently booked at The Contemporary).

We are a family of 5 also. It seems like we are living in a world made for families of 4! We have stayed in the family suites at ASMu and at POR. I love the family suites, there is plenty of room, separate spaces, two bathrooms and a kitchenette. They are great! POR is a nicer resort, but the room is definitely smaller. We don't spend much time in the room, so it worked fine for us. Our kids were 14, 12, and 9.

We are a family of 5 (kids 11,9 and 7) and we are doing two rooms at All-Star Music. We had a suite booked, but with 2 rooms we get 4 actual beds and more space which will be nice. And since there are only 2 adults we are guaranteed connecting rooms. It was about $400 cheaper for 8 nights than a suite. We lose a microwave, but we won't use that anyway.

Connecting rooms are never guaranteed, ever.

I would do AoA or look into renting points for DVC. Also don't forget to figure that your 3 year old will now need a ticket. That will be a significant price increase of the total trip if you are going eight days.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think we're torn between Poly and GF just because of monorail and ease of transportation. We're also torn between those two and PO Riverside but the refurbs are making me scared. I'm also torn because AOA and family suites sound great but I'm worried that if FD does come out by the time I pay to upgrade it will be close to a deluxe. Does anyone know what the cost of upgrades are and what the travel times from these resorts are like.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I think we're torn between Poly and GF just because of monorail and ease of transportation. We're also torn between those two and PO Riverside but the refurbs are making me scared. I'm also torn because AOA and family suites sound great but I'm worried that if FD does come out by the time I pay to upgrade it will be close to a deluxe. Does anyone know what the cost of upgrades are and what the travel times from these resorts are like.
Refurbs? What refurbs?

Travel times all come out in the wash, in my opinion. Resort A to Park B may be short but Resort A to Park A may be long. Then Resort B to Park B is long and Resort B to Park A is short. In other words, some trips are short, some are long and if you avg it all out, every resort is rather even in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter