Fall colors at HHI when?

I could be wrong, but I don't really think that HHI has much of any fall colors. We go for Thanksgiving every year, and I don't remember seeing any in November. So I went back and looked at my HHI pictures today, and in November, everything seemed to be still green-
DSCF0408.jpg

One year we went in February, and lots of the trees were already totally bare-
6-25-2006-002.jpg

Both those pictures were taken in Sea Pines Forest Preserve. If there were any colors, I'd imagine that would be a place to see them.

Agreed, no fall colors (unless you count the "snow" from the crape myrtles shedding their blossoms....)

The resort itself has mainly pines and live-oaks which don't shed their leaves. The crepe myrtles do drop leaves and those are typically pruned back in late January/February. The palms around the marina don't drop leaves as a regular fall event either.

We are in HH right now and there are a few trees/shrubs starting to show a little new foliage color, but you won't find a typical fall color show like in the north. The marsh does turn a little brown over the winter but no big color show there either.

I live in Bluffton, the town just to the west of Hilton Head Island. There is no dramatic burst of fall color like you would associate with New England. There is some color as we have some oaks and wild vines which do lose their leaves. The vines do turn a pele yellow in early December and the oaks' leaves redden before they fall, but this a subtle change.

There are many reasons to visit the area, but fall foliage just isn't very high on the list.

I agree. You have to get near the SC mountains, near the border with NC (along the Blueridge Parkway) before you get the best fall colors. Anything in the the lower half of the state would be more evergreens and/or water loving trees (cypress, etc).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter