• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fall 2012=Fast moving Friends, Food, Frights, Firsts and Fun with only Females!

WOW! You know how to work out some deals with air fare! I need you to help me. :rotfl2: That's awesome that you only have to pay one OOP & it's only $160! Even though we're driving, I've been watching air fare, just cuz. :rotfl: Anyway, it would cost us $985 for the 3 of us. :eek: I really hate air fare.

:goodvibes In the grand scheme of what costs of flights into MCO are... the $985 for the 3 of you is pretty good. That is like $328 rt/pp I remember that

I use to be in awe of a friend of mine. She rarely paid for her flights..and when she did it wasn't much. I think first tip... you have to fly at least once a year (this can give you points). Second tip(and probably the one I personally take advantage of the most) is to hold a good credit card. Alaska Visa use to be the one I liked for this. The annual fee was like $50 and then the companion fare was $50 (plus they use to have deals where kids flew free to DLR) Then, that wasn't so bad. I could look at one flight for one person being $100 RT Now, the AF is $75 and the companion is $100. That is almost double. Still... $175 for a round trip isn't bad...but... usually now their fares are so high that if I average the cost of the one..with the full fare it is more than just booking with a different airline. So what card I now use... SW visa. You get A LOT of points to start, plus they make it easy to earn points, PLUS you get enough points as an anniversary gift that sometimes covers a one way ticket. (so every two years you could have a rt ticket for free) I realize that not everyone likes to carry a credit card for fear of the debt that can or will be incurred. However, just keep in mind... just because you hold a card doesn't mean you have to carry debt. I have never paid any interest on my disney visa (yes, I hold another card:rolleyes:) I use it as though it were my debit card and pay it off each month... meanwhile adding up disney dream dollars that I then use for spending on my disney trips. (it is like free money) I also use it to pay for disney vacations... six months at 0% means I can book a trip and then take time to pay it with 0 interst. Also for a large purchase like the car my son just made...instead of paying cash I used the sw card..got all those points and then use the cash to pay the card. (again, it is its like free money) Another tip is to always be flexible. If you are willing to fly out a day or two on either side... you can save. In fact, for our december trip... adding two nights at Pop actually saved us money (even when factoring extra food costs) over flying out on the day we checked into WL. Also, if we had been flexible in December... and jumped on being bumped to the next flight we would not only have been each been given a free rt ticket but cash. (I think they offered both..but now I am wondering if it was just the cash equivalent of a rt ticket.) Either way... more cheap airfare for being flexible. :thumbsup2

Sorry... there is my getting airfare cheap 101 in a nutshell.

I'm late I'm late but I found you! YAY! Going back now to read!! Can't wait to see if our plans overlap any! :cool1:

:welcome: Glad you found me... and you are not late!!! I have not even started planning... I have totally neglected this PTR

:goodvibes In the grand scheme of what costs of flights into MCO are... the $985 for the 3 of you is pretty good. That is like $328 rt/pp I remember that

I use to be in awe of a friend of mine. She rarely paid for her flights..and when she did it wasn't much. I think first tip... you have to fly at least once a year (this can give you points). Second tip(and probably the one I personally take advantage of the most) is to hold a good credit card. Alaska Visa use to be the one I liked for this. The annual fee was like $50 and then the companion fare was $50 (plus they use to have deals where kids flew free to DLR) Then, that wasn't so bad. I could look at one flight for one person being $100 RT Now, the AF is $75 and the companion is $100. That is almost double. Still... $175 for a round trip isn't bad...but... usually now their fares are so high that if I average the cost of the one..with the full fare it is more than just booking with a different airline. So what card I now use... SW visa. You get A LOT of points to start, plus they make it easy to earn points, PLUS you get enough points as an anniversary gift that sometimes covers a one way ticket. (so every two years you could have a rt ticket for free) I realize that not everyone likes to carry a credit card for fear of the debt that can or will be incurred. However, just keep in mind... just because you hold a card doesn't mean you have to carry debt. I have never paid any interest on my disney visa (yes, I hold another card:rolleyes:) I use it as though it were my debit card and pay it off each month... meanwhile adding up disney dream dollars that I then use for spending on my disney trips. (it is like free money) I also use it to pay for disney vacations... six months at 0% means I can book a trip and then take time to pay it with 0 interst. Also for a large purchase like the car my son just made...instead of paying cash I used the sw card..got all those points and then use the cash to pay the card. (again, it is its like free money) Another tip is to always be flexible. If you are willing to fly out a day or two on either side... you can save. In fact, for our december trip... adding two nights at Pop actually saved us money (even when factoring extra food costs) over flying out on the day we checked into WL. Also, if we had been flexible in December... and jumped on being bumped to the next flight we would not only have been each been given a free rt ticket but cash. (I think they offered both..but now I am wondering if it was just the cash equivalent of a rt ticket.) Either way... more cheap airfare for being flexible. :thumbsup2

Sorry... there is my getting airfare cheap 101 in a nutshell.

Thanks for all the great tips! :thumbsup2 That was very helpful.

We have a Disney visa, too. Like you said, I use it to pay pretty much everything I can & then pay it off at the end of the month. In fact, we just upgraded to the premier card to get 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores & Disney businesses.

Looks like I may need to look into getting an airline card if I plan on us flying more in the future. We are lucky that our drive is "do-able". Hopefully, it will go well this year & maybe we can save some money (although not time) by driving. Who knows....maybe a good old-fashioned car trip will be fun!

Well, I ventured over to the PTRs and look what I found. Subbing!

:cool1: Soon I will get down to some serious planning.

Thanks for all the great tips! :thumbsup2 That was very helpful.

We have a Disney visa, too. Like you said, I use it to pay pretty much everything I can & then pay it off at the end of the month. In fact, we just upgraded to the premier card to get 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores & Disney businesses.

Looks like I may need to look into getting an airline card if I plan on us flying more in the future. We are lucky that our drive is "do-able". Hopefully, it will go well this year & maybe we can save some money (although not time) by driving. Who knows....maybe a good old-fashioned car trip will be fun!

I think car trips can be fun...if we are not talking LONG car trips. By long... I am talking you need a couple days or more. A single day in the car is kinda neat.

I never upgraded to the premier... I wonder though... In the past I have had offers to get double points or triple points. I have not received any like that this year... not since the new premier card came out. I wonder :scratchin I wonder if they are not offering those bonuses as much now that they have a standard card that offers that.

An airline card is good to have if you are going to be traveling. I would suggest SW... the thing that I both love and hate about it though... it is another chase visa. :rotfl: Works out well for me since I have a chase checking... but kinda strange to hold both chase visas.

Im here again. Finally caught up....

:rolleyes: Oh Ann and the airfare drama... haha. Glad you seemed to get something your happy with!

I am glad to see the Queen of the Airfare drama has her airfare all settled for her September trip. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

And saving the points for February? What's happening in February? Did I miss something?

Im here again. Finally caught up....

:rolleyes: Oh Ann and the airfare drama... haha. Glad you seemed to get something your happy with!

:rotfl: I know... I am a bit crazy with it. But... yes, I am happy with it.

I am glad to see the Queen of the Airfare drama has her airfare all settled for her September trip. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

And saving the points for February? What's happening in February? Did I miss something?

:rotfl2: I am sorry to be such pain about airfare. I just WAY over think most things and this is no exception

February.. well there is the PHM. Betsy has already registered. I still need to... but so many other things keep taking my monies... Betsy is way ahead of me with it... she even has a room booked at AoA!!! If for some reason I fall over dead (or near so) from the ToT 10 miler and I don't register for the PHM, then there is the fall of 2013 that I could use points for.

October is going to be such a crazy month!!!

We will start it in WDW. Where Kira will celebrate her birthday.

The night we come back I will most likely have to work...and that will lead me into my busy week where I dont' take a day off for more than 7 days.. often it is more like 14 (but it is hard to say how busy it will be...so for sure it will be 7 days straight probably a couple more at least)

Meanwhile, Kira will be in the middle of moving to her house (assuming closing happens when they say it is suppose to (like RIGHT around the time of our trip)

Once things settle with my work a bit it will be time to go to Las Vegas for my brother's wedding. Which the comments above from Kathy and Ashley make me laugh... Some already know this story... but basically, my mom called me yesterday all in a panic about how we didn't have our room or flights booked. My ddddddDEARb called her to tell her flights were up and we are going to be looking at paying $500 to $600 pp rt. (not on my watch!!!... I won't have any airfare like that - see why the comments made me giggle?) He also told her that because there is a convention that weekend we will not be able to get a room. :rolleyes: Now, I have never been to Vegas. However, it is my understanding... there is ALWAYS some convention. Anyway...long story shot... I. OF COURSE got us our room and hotel for 3 nights. Not only did I get it... but that $500 to $600 pp :rolleyes: for just the flight? Well, I got the hotel wrapped up too...and it is costing my mom and I each $290 (for flight and 3 nights hotel) My brother doesn't know me as well as my dis friends :grouphug:

After my brother's wedding, we will come back and immediately my mom will catch a bus and head home. Oh.. my poor dddddDEARm Our flight arrives in Seattle very very late. So late I doubt we will be in home and to bed by any earlier than 2am. She booked her "chariot" for a 8am departure. This means we need to have her there by 7am and thus leave my house by 6 am. OH yes, that means... getting up in the 5am hour. I left that to here.. and she did this. :confused3 When I kinda showed some displeasure she got fussy... cause she needs to get home and no one will be able to pick her up any night so it had to be early. I just dropped it... secretly (or not so secretly since I know they both lurk a bit) but I am hoping to maybe have Kira and Josh pick us up at the airport that night... and we can stay at their new place (they live closer to the bus station) Then either myself.. or Josh can take her in the morning... since we will be closer.

Once mom is gone back home, it will be a busy work week for me... hustle hustle and in the midst of that.. Alex's birthday and Halloween.

October is going to be gone..wooosh...

Now that sounds like a really busy October, Ann!

Lots of vacation and work (well, don't know if you call Vegas a vacation). Where are you staying?

I had to :rotfl2: when your brother mentioned that flights would be expensive. He surely doesn't know his sister's skills. :lmao:

As for your mother's ventures for after coming back - that sounds like a stressful time. Hope she is happy with it when the time comes. ;)

I'm not completely caught up, but I have to say that your airline wheeling and dealing is certainly impressive.

And - yes - you have got one busy October to look forward to! :thumbsup2 Score on the LV Hotel & flight. :goodvibes

Whew! You are going to be one busy girl in October!

That's a great price you got on the hotel & flight for you & your mom! :thumbsup2

Okay, I need a nap now after reading about your October. There IS always a convention in Vegas of some sort and there are ALWAYS plenty of rooms left over, trust me. Mark goes twice a year for a convention and I've booked last minute to join him and never had a problem getting a room (and not at one of the shabby places, but an in the middle place).

Where did you book in Vegas?

:rotfl: I know... I am a bit crazy with it. But... yes, I am happy with it.

:rotfl2: I am sorry to be such pain about airfare. I just WAY over think most things and this is no exception

February.. well there is the PHM. Betsy has already registered. I still need to... but so many other things keep taking my monies... Betsy is way ahead of me with it... she even has a room booked at AoA!!! If for some reason I fall over dead (or near so) from the ToT 10 miler and I don't register for the PHM, then there is the fall of 2013 that I could use points for.

Hmmm.... Fall 2013..... needs to hurry up and get here... lol

And goodness about all the October goings on ! Sounds crazy. Tell Kira congrats on her house... And moving drama sucks!

Now that sounds like a really busy October, Ann!

Lots of vacation and work (well, don't know if you call Vegas a vacation). Where are you staying?

I had to :rotfl2: when your brother mentioned that flights would be expensive. He surely doesn't know his sister's skills. :lmao:

As for your mother's ventures for after coming back - that sounds like a stressful time. Hope she is happy with it when the time comes. ;)

We will be staying at Excalibur. And no... my brother does not know me well. :sad2: He and I were once so close.. but sadly we rarely talk now. My mom will be fine with her return. I am not sure why she couldn't stay her an extra night and then we could have been well rested. She may be able to sleep on the bus home... but I will have only 3 hours of sleep before I am up. Oh well...

I'm not completely caught up, but I have to say that your airline wheeling and dealing is certainly impressive.

And - yes - you have got one busy October to look forward to! :thumbsup2 Score on the LV Hotel & flight. :goodvibes

Thanks... I have been pretty lucky the last few trips... we always seem to have enough points on one airline or another to get to where we need. December... our checking account was linked to one mileage plan and just through paying bills over the course of a couple years... enough points for 2 rt tickets. July... on a different mileage plan we had points sitting from 2008 that we had not used giving us enough to pay for 3 one way tickets.

Whew! You are going to be one busy girl in October!

That's a great price you got on the hotel & flight for you & your mom! :thumbsup2

I didn't think it was too bad. Not for flight and 3 nights. My db just is fairly clueless when it comes to travel. He tried to get me to help him one time..and he ended up doing it his own way (and paying way more) cause he wanted a flight at a specific time... on a specific day... from a specific airport) He wasn't flexible... the key is flexibility. He is staying at the Luxor. He has yet to actually book anything wedding related... but supposedly, that is where the wedding will be (yeah..mmmhmm) In theory, it would have been more idea for mom and I to stay there...but staying around the corner at the Excalibur saves us a chunk of change...so flexibility..and we saved.

Okay, I need a nap now after reading about your October. There IS always a convention in Vegas of some sort and there are ALWAYS plenty of rooms left over, trust me. Mark goes twice a year for a convention and I've booked last minute to join him and never had a problem getting a room (and not at one of the shabby places, but an in the middle place).

Where did you book in Vegas?

:rotfl2: I know... and I dont' even KNOW Vegas and I knew that much!!!

We are booked at Excalibur. Not the fanciest...but certainly nice enough to stay a few nights.

Hmmm.... Fall 2013..... needs to hurry up and get here... lol

And goodness about all the October goings on ! Sounds crazy. Tell Kira congrats on her house... And moving drama sucks!

yes, a nice girls trip will be just what I need.

Moving is stressful. Kira is VERY stressed right now. FEMA and the city are in a dispute right now over the levy's... and because of this the house may need a huge amount of flood insurance. This would just be too costly and so they might pull out of the deal because of it.

Starting again with a TRUE day one since we have officially decided not to stay in a hotel the night before our flight. Can you all believe I have really not even started this TR?

TRIP CHANGE

Due to a sale a few days ago, Betsy and I tinkered with Kira and Amanda's airfare a bit.

Previously, the two were scheduled to fly out a half hour before Zoe and I and arrive an hour later. It was the better option since the flight was much cheaper than the one Zoe and I were on. We figured that it would also work well since it would give Zoe enough time to take care of her needs after we were off the plane before Kira and Amanda arrived. However, obviously the BEST option would be to be on the same flight.

So when SW had a major sale a few days ago, Betsy and I were on it. Betsy was able to get in through a more backway route (the site and phone lines were bogged down) in order to cancel their flight. This gave them the credit. I then was able to add to the cart the flight (both departure and return) that matched what Zoe and I had. It was not the cheapest option, but it still gave them each a $40 credit that can be used in the future.

Day 1 - 9/25
We will be getting up early. It is not certain where we will be getting up and leaving from since we may stay at Kira's or we may stay here. If everything falls into place with the house, her house will be a bit closer to the airport so we will stay there.

We will need to be at the airport at about 4:30am. So we will leave at about 3:30am.
:coffee:

We will get to the airport and have a bit to eat. Probably a large coffee from starbucks will be on my agenda!

Once we are on the plane, I really hope we can all snooze a bit. Kira and I have drink coupons from SW, so that might help us in that department.

We will arrive in St. Louis around noon. First there will be the need for a potty break. On the plane, it will just be too hard to take care of Zoe. I am hoping she can survive the time between 3am and noon. (there is a time change, right? So it really will not be 9 hours, but 7 :scared:) Then we will need to probably have some lunch. I might pack something like I did for the December trip. It seemed to work well. We will see though. It will depend on how much time I have between now and then to look at what restaurants are near our gate or to actually go shopping for the food if we choose to pack a lunch. (grocery shopping has been a bit of a challenge for me lately. I work all day in stores... last thing I want to do is shop in them)

Our flight then departs St. Louis at about 2:30pm. Another nap? I think so.::yes::

Then, FINALLY we will arrive in Orlando at about 5:30pm. We will need to go to the restrooms again for Zoe (and probably Kira..she has a small bladder :rolleyes:)

It won't be long and we will make our way to DME. I really hope that we are able to get onto an ACTUAL Disney bus and not a plain MEARS one since this is Amandas first trip.

I am hoping that check in will go smoothly. I assume our room will be ready since by the time we get there it will be probably 7pm. I have requested an external corner room. We will see if we get it.

Once we are all checked in and settled we will take the boat to DTD.

Kira will hopefully have received her birthday coupon for her sandwich at EOS. If she has, we will eat there. If not, we may choose somewhere else since this will be oop.

After dinner we will hop over to Goofy's candy company to use a snack credit for dessert.

I am sure we will be tired so after maybe a bit of shopping we will head back to POFQ to go to sleep.

Great first day plans, Ann! I am glad you were able to take advantage of the SW sale! I hope Zoe will be okay. At least it will only be 7 hours and not 9. =)

DTD is a great plan for the evening of Day 1. You can get a little bit of Disney but not overextend yourself! Can't wait to hear about Day 2.

Your travel day plans sounds really good! :thumbsup2 I think it's a good decision that y'all are staying home the night before.

I didn't think it was too bad. Not for flight and 3 nights. My db just is fairly clueless when it comes to travel. He tried to get me to help him one time..and he ended up doing it his own way (and paying way more) cause he wanted a flight at a specific time... on a specific day... from a specific airport) He wasn't flexible... the key is flexibility. He is staying at the Luxor. He has yet to actually book anything wedding related... but supposedly, that is where the wedding will be (yeah..mmmhmm) In theory, it would have been more idea for mom and I to stay there...but staying around the corner at the Excalibur saves us a chunk of change...so flexibility..and we saved.

Excalibur is so close to Luxor.....that's a great location! :thumbsup2 You can just hop on the tram to/from Luxor. It'll be like a ride on a mini-monorail. :rotfl2:

The timeshare we own through Hilton is on the strip in Vegas. We love, love, love Vegas! Now that we have a little one, it's definitely much harder to do trips there. Our last trip was for our 10 year anniversary in 2009. :sad1:

The Excalibur is a wonderful hotel, Ann!
We stayed there on our second visit! :thumbsup2

And I should have known it, that there is some more flight changing for your September trip. But thankfully it's all good.

Day one plans sound really good!

Ann, we are leaving at the end of the week and while I will try to catch up with you, I am not sure how much time there will be to reply. So if I am more quiet than usual, please forgive me! :hug:

So wish me luck. Today out of the blue, a rep who works for the company I do quit. It just happens to be for the territory that Zach's girl friend lives in. She has been having a rough time at work lately... and when my manager asked me today if I knew anyone in that area.. I didn't hesitate to say I did. Within an hour.. she was hired and I get to train her over the next couple weeks.

So if you could all wish me luck that a. I train her well and b. that her and Zach's relationship doesn't end badly (or at all... I REALLY like this girl)

The two of them did a 5k dirty dash over the weekend. This is a picture of the two of them (and her friend) I had to ask my son. "son, why did you tackle her if you were on the same team?" :rotfl2:

599929_3923538600472_392153141_n.jpg

She loved the tackle... I am not sure if you can tell by her face. She is such a good match for him. It makes me happy to see them both so happy.

Here is another shot of their "team" Yes, she got my son to wear a shirt that reads "victorious secret" on it.
418450_3923547400692_1230665843_n.jpg

Great first day plans, Ann! I am glad you were able to take advantage of the SW sale! I hope Zoe will be okay. At least it will only be 7 hours and not 9. =)

DTD is a great plan for the evening of Day 1. You can get a little bit of Disney but not overextend yourself! Can't wait to hear about Day 2.

Thanks, the sale affected Kira more than it did me. I am just happy we are on the same flight now.

As for Zoe, I am sure she will be fine. If I have her cath right before we leave, it will be like a middle of the night thing..so she should be able to make it till 10am.

Your travel day plans sounds really good! :thumbsup2 I think it's a good decision that y'all are staying home the night before.

Excalibur is so close to Luxor.....that's a great location! :thumbsup2 You can just hop on the tram to/from Luxor. It'll be like a ride on a mini-monorail. :rotfl2:

The timeshare we own through Hilton is on the strip in Vegas. We love, love, love Vegas! Now that we have a little one, it's definitely much harder to do trips there. Our last trip was for our 10 year anniversary in 2009. :sad1:

I think staying home that night before will be a good thing.

As for making it to the Luxor. Thanks! that is good to know. Thing is... even though, that is where the wedding is suppose to be... he has yet to make any sort of reservation. So..who knows? Maybe we won't even need to go to the Luxor. :rolleyes:

The Excalibur is a wonderful hotel, Ann!
We stayed there on our second visit! :thumbsup2

And I should have known it, that there is some more flight changing for your September trip. But thankfully it's all good.

Day one plans sound really good!

Ann, we are leaving at the end of the week and while I will try to catch up with you, I am not sure how much time there will be to reply. So if I am more quiet than usual, please forgive me! :hug:

Karin, I am so sorry I have been so quiet. I can't seem to stay caught up with anything any more... my house to dis.. at least my bills are paid. :rolleyes: I do need to make final payment here in the next couple days for the trip though, so gotta stay on top of that! So please!!! Just have a good trip!!! I can't wait to hear all about it. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter