Facebook Jail

Last night I noticed a comment that has since been deleted. Calling me a real peach. I didn't report it. Either someone else did or a Mod deleted it on his/her own.

Drats!!! I was all prepared to respond today. But then maybe <I> may have gotten DIS jail.
The bot probably reported it and some human said yeah that’s bullying because it called you an inanimate object.

The DIS is the only social media I have. I have heard nothing positive from people I know who are on Facebook, and many of them have deleted their accounts. When I Google myself I want to find nothing. If Facebook is the only way a government entity or business chooses to communicate with the public, they won’t be communicating with me. Fortunately, our county still has an old fashioned website where I can go for info, like during hurricane season. I can receive the info I need and keep my life private.

If Facebook is the only way a government entity or business chooses to communicate with the public, they won’t be communicating with me. Fortunately, our county still has an old fashioned website where I can go for info, like during hurricane season. I can receive the info I need and keep my life private.
I have to say though social media has evolved over time. I mean consider how expedient you can get a company's attention just by tweeting them. In fact a lot of people on the SWA thread talked about that being a quick way to get a response. The olden days of calling up or e-mailing a company via their "contact us" button are just further back in priority and less rely on websites unless it's their chat function (which I love using when I can). I can't fault a lot of these smaller businesses for not having a website because that can be expensive to build and maintain for the domain. Some of the ones I've seen go around to trade shows and so they have a business card but often pull mostly from FB especially. Consider etsy too which is a lot of businesses that may not have websites they just use Etsy to help them sell.

I had a question about a device I was considering ordering and I e-mailed them on their contact us, then I decided I'll just FB message them. I got a response within 4 hours of FB messaging them and 4 1/2 weeks from e-mailing them. I just ordered something and received it last weekend but didn't like the color on me even though the size fit. I read their return FAQs but it really only spoke about sizing. I decided I'll FB message them. They got back to me on the first subsequent business day and said they can do it easier on their side manually for the exchange (which 1 free exchange is allowed without having to pay shipping fees again) since it's not a size issue but just wanting a different color. They pulled up my order (somewhat creepy I might add lol so I get that part of your comment about private life) just because it matched my FB name and said "what color do you want". I message back what I wanted and they said okay we've ordered it for you here's your new order number and here's the paid postage label for your return.

I know to some that may seem annoying but the world is more instantaneous now and entities go to places where people are more likely to check frequently. It's a lot easier to update on FB or Twitter than it is to continuously update a website in this quickly changing world. I do believe in situations where there is danger like weather related places error on the side of blasting the information out to all sorts of avenues (radio, tv, push notifications on phones, e-mails, website updates, news breaking into a program, news websites updated, etc). I'm hooked up with my county's emergency alert service that they would really want people to enroll in and I get text messages when there's weather like a severe thunderstorm watch or warning and a tornado warning for example.

The DIS is the only social media I have. I have heard nothing positive from people I know who are on Facebook, and many of them have deleted their accounts. When I Google myself I want to find nothing. If Facebook is the only way a government entity or business chooses to communicate with the public, they won’t be communicating with me. Fortunately, our county still has an old fashioned website where I can go for info, like during hurricane season. I can receive the info I need and keep my life private.
Yup! I go to weather websites for weather information. If there is other news I need, as Christopher Walken ( as Charles Barrett) said in Suicide Kings:

Everybody out there knows, everybody lies. Cops lie, newspapers lie....the one thing you can count on is word on the street That's solid.

So I’ll go with word on the street.

I keep in touch with my family through FB. It's like being on Days of Our Lives sometimes. I almost never post, myself. I *do* respond. I stopped posting frequently after the election, when I found out that most of my family...er...let's just say didn't agree with me.

I too only use FB to keep up with far flung family and friends, have maybe 40 friends total. I have the highest privacy settings, my posts are not shareable, you can't search and find me by name. My sister posts a picture on her FB page for my birthday tagging me, and my friends don't see that either. If I comment on someone else's post then I am exposing myself to more random friend requests (I ignore them). I don't use it for news and information or random social junk. I have blocked a few 'friends' because I got tired of seeing their posts. I had no idea there was Facebook jail either! (I do occasionally get warnings on this site though)

I don’t have FB. I use Twitter to keep up with county emergencies and such. I came across a FB page the other day and it’s private members only. It’s a group where they post strength and cardio workouts. I almost joined so I could get their monthly schedule. I’ll probably ask my husband to join for me so I can at least see the workouts.

FB is whatever you make of it. It can be very useful for certain topics/groups. I belong to several hiking groups and the information provided is great. I also belong to a group called “Yellowstone - Invasion of the Idiots”, which is very interesting.

FB is whatever you make of it. It can be very useful for certain topics/groups. I belong to several hiking groups and the information provided is great. I also belong to a group called “Yellowstone - Invasion of the Idiots”, which is very interesting.
This. I love all the groups I'm a part of. Truly invaluable resources for hiking, travel, amusement parks, etc. Never had any issues with it. My brother gets put in jail about every other month, but he is rather outspoken and has no filter, so I'm not surprised.

Gosh, I feel stupid. I still can't figure out what the R word is. Will someone give some better hints so I can sleep tonight?

I have one Facebook friend who repeatedly goes to 'jail.' He was the nicest guy in high school, super hot, cool, etc. and now he's some raging maniac at least on social media. I'm so shocked. I agree with his jail time. He's vile.

Gosh, I feel stupid. I still can't figure out what the R word is. Will someone give some better hints so I can sleep tonight?
It's a word that used to be used to describe those with developmental disabilities.

My issue with facebook is that there is such a bias based on whether the "fact checkers" agree politically with what is being reported. Riotous groups in OR, WA and MN have been free to organize their riots and insurrections on facebook but they shut down a softball teams group because it has the word "Mafia" in it.

It's a word that used to be used to describe those with developmental disabilities.

My issue with facebook is that there is such a bias based on whether the "fact checkers" agree politically with what is being reported. Riotous groups in OR, WA and MN have been free to organize their riots and insurrections on facebook but they shut down a softball teams group because it has the word "Mafia" in it.
You forgot to mention riotous groups in Washington DC. Everyone always thinks their groups are being persecuted and others are getting away with something.

Last edited:

No, it’s whether it’s factually correct or not.

Careful, your bias is showing though because you didn’t list the single insurrection.

FB factchecks memes. They are ridiculous but I don't use FB for news. I now know the R word so many are upset by. There is a specific meaning to it as it applies to IQs below 70. I also know it's used to insult people.

No, it’s whether it’s factually correct or not.

Careful, your bias is showing though because you didn’t list the single insurrection.
If it was about being factually correct than it would be factually correct. It is not, many things that are "fact checked" by facebook and found false are later proven to be true. Regardless of one's political persuasion, facts are facts, purposely labeling something you don't agree with as not a fact is bias. As is refusing to look at the actual evidence because you "know" it's false.

The riot on Jan. 6 wasn't organized and discussed on facebook like what I've seen in other places, at least not that I've seen. I'm more than willing to look at any evidence that it was. It also was not an insurrection according to the USC definition.

I am moderator of a group of mom friends from across Canada. We all generally get along, about 95 of us. I have had 4 members have content removed in the last 2 months, and nothing before that! I myself had a warning about something I had shared a year ago. They really are cracking down, and not really on the stuff they should be. One person posted “boys suck” about boys being mean to someone’s daughter. Another referred to her own home as hick lol. All not warranted.

Pretty sure I'm in Facebook exile. I changed my phone and didn't remember the password so while there is a list of acceptable items from stores and library cards that "should be acceptable" what they seem to want from me is the sort of ID requested by Airport security. Strange thing is they keep sending me alerts about stuff and when Iook it's the same loop. Exile it is and will remain - that crew needs to be hockey checked.

If it was about being factually correct than it would be factually correct. It is not, many things that are "fact checked" by facebook and found false are later proven to be true. Regardless of one's political persuasion, facts are facts, purposely labeling something you don't agree with as not a fact is bias.
Your implication here that this is common is far from the truth. The fact checkers have a far better rate of being correct than the people constantly posting stuff that gets hit by the gray box.

Not believing fact checkers (who show their detailed work) because it doesn’t align withwhat you want to believe is bias.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!