extended monorail?

b0bo91

Earning My Ears
I was on a website a couple of days ago and it said that they were extending the track of the monorail to other places and building a new, larger TTC....anyone else heard this?

-b0bo91

That rumor rears its head intermittently, and has done so for years. The consensus seems to be that it would be cost prohibitive to add to the monorail system. Of course at WDW, you never know.

The "new" TTC was/is supposed to be part of a public light rail system within the state of Florida, connecting MCO to Tampa/St. Pete. My understanding is support for this project by the state has hit a snag, and it is questionable.

The new TTC was only on stop on the new system, but would not actually replace the current TTC, since it connects the MK parking area to both EPCOT and the MK as well as the Monorail resorts.

The last I heard was an expansion was definitly in the works, but at least several years off. I would like to see a few more loops to other resorts.

I heard they have made provisions for it at the new Saratoga Springs, should they decide to do that in the future.

According to the monorail driver on a recent trip when we rode up front, Eisner dislikes the monorail and has no interest in expanding it. Plans have exsited for years. This particular driver thinks that Eisner will be gone soon and then plans will probably move forward.

Here's hoping!!

Terri

Originally posted by terribm
According to the monorail driver on a recent trip when we rode up front, Eisner dislikes the monorail and has no interest in expanding it. Plans have exsited for years. This particular driver thinks that Eisner will be gone soon and then plans will probably move forward.

Here's hoping!!

Terri

Interesting! I sure hope they do expand it someday....sooner than later!

I had heard of a bullet train that was supposed to go from MCO to Disney. Allegedly it was approved and Disney was footing the bill. But then Fla tried to make it stop at downtown Orlando area and Disney said no way we'll pay for that. And so plans were scrubbed.

As Micca pointed out - the cost of extending or upgrading the monorail would run into Millions of dollars for very little short to medium term return.

I've seen quotes elsewhere showing the cost to be at least $1M per mile just for the track!

The train from MCO to Disney is also another fond rumour that comes round every so often.

Originally posted by BONZO
As Micca pointed out - the cost of extending or upgrading the monorail would run into Millions of dollars for very little short to medium term return.

I've seen quotes elsewhere showing the cost to be at least $1M per mile just for the track!

The train from MCO to Disney is also another fond rumour that comes round every so often.

Actually the Disney train to MCO was rumor. The Florida Light Rail System and High Speed Rail were/are actual government and private projects.

They are definetly building something at WDW that could be more monorail track. DH & I saw men working on it between the trees one day last month when we were driving around. It COULD BE, don't know for sure.
Lori

It will be interesting to see when Saratoga Springs opens if anything is said about future planning.

Well, I doubt SSR opening will have any affect upon a monorail system. Remember that SSR is a "self contained" DVC resort, much like OKW. It does not "share" expenses with adjoining hotels like BCV, WL, and BWV. DVC/DISNEY have a responsibility (by law) to control transportation and other costs, since these costs will be reflected in members annual dues without any benefit of splitting those costs with adjacent Disney Resorts.

SSR is scheduled uto utilize bus service and share a boat to DtD with OKW.

I'd be shocked to hear any real news of a monorail expansion, with the main reasons being:

1. Cost - The $1 million per mile cost is WAAAAY off. A recent monorail project in Las Vegas was originally bid out at a cost of nearly $25 million per mile. And that's not even taking into account the cost of maintaining the track and trains.

Think of how many busses you can buy for that money.

2. Impact on current monorail resorts - part of the cache of staying at the Poly, CR or GF is access to the monorail. What do you think the impact would be to their occupancy levels if you could suddenly hop on a Monorail to the All Stars?

3. Frankly, it's an inefficient transportation system. What do you think happens when a monorail train breaks-down midway between the TTC and Epcot? Complete stop. There is no way to re-route the traffic. This could be addressed with redundancies, but then you're doubling or tripling the cost of the system.

Anyone want to be stuck at Epcot after Illuminations when the entire line goes down if there was no (or minimal) bus service?

Also, the system would have to be set-up with the TTC as the hub, with people having to switch trains to get almost anywhere in the World. That potentially creates a huge bottleneck at the TTC.

I wouldn't read too much into the information about Saratoga Springs. This is just an example of Disney hedging its bets since the contracts run for 50 years. The language in the contract states that Disney has the RIGHT to run a monorail right through the middle of the resort if they so desire. Even if they did decide on expansion of the line, I have to think that routing traffic to Downtown Disney is a little way's down on the list of priorities.

I though the light rail - bullet train was still in the works - I think it depends upon the cost - if wdw thinks it is reasonable - then I would think they would connect their parks - don't know on any hotels being connected for a long, long, long time - they need to make money with the thing - more people they can get to their parks - they more money they will make.

people will stay at their hotels anyway.....that is what early entry and now late night are about.

however instead of the buses going back and forth to the parks - if they get them connect - the buses would probably just go to the connection stations and everyone would get on the train to the parks.

This is the website for the Florida bullet train project: www.floridahighspeedrail.org

The first leg of the train is currently planned to run down the center median of the Greenway (417) from the airport to just inside Disney property, somewhere in the neighborhood of the Osceola Pkwy. entrance, I think. The line will continue south from there to Lakeland and Tampa. There was quite a hubbub last fall when the final decision on the route for the Orlando route was being made; most of the locals wanted it to go down I-Drive past the Orange County Convention Ctr., but Disney dangled a lot of construction money that would only be contributed if WDW was the first stop south of MCO. The commission decided to take Disney's money.

However, the plot has recently thickened, and Gov. Bush is now circulating a petition to get a referendum to abandon the entire project onto the ballot for the November gen'l election. Interestingly enough, support money for the repeal campaign is largely coming from Universal and Anheuser-Busch, the owners of two big theme park complexes that were to have had stops on the proposed I-Drive route.

I heard they have made provisions for it at the new Saratoga Springs, should they decide to do that in the

This is an old easement granted with the thought of extending the monorail to the Market Place. I believe it was granted when Disney World was being built or soon after.

A light rail system would be better in that sidings could be built for use in case of a break down. Then the train behind could push the disabled one to a siding. With that provision a train becomes much more efficient in moving large numbers of people.

Originally posted by tjkraz

I wouldn't read too much into the information about Saratoga Springs. This is just an example of Disney hedging its bets since the contracts run for 50 years. The language in the contract states that Disney has the RIGHT to run a monorail right through the middle of the resort if they so desire. Even if they did decide on expansion of the line, I have to think that routing traffic to Downtown Disney is a little way's down on the list of priorities.

I agree with your post BUT there was a rumor about Disney considering putting parking garages at DTD (similar to Universal) and then using a monorail (or light rail) to get people to the parks. Basically creating a second TTC. I don't see Disney doing this.

Do a search for Chip N Dale he's posted detailed reasons why monorail expansion won't work well.

Originally the monorail was suppose to have gone from Epcot to the Downtown Disney/Saratoga Springs area, but in 1982 when Epcot was being built it was Cut from the project due to cost overruns with the building of Epcot, so the monorail was built only to go between Epcot and TTC. Back in 1982 Downtown Disney/Saratoga Springs was called Disney Village/Disney Villas.

I also believe that Ei$ner is the one who veto the Monorail Expansion project, back then he took the money that it would have cost to build the Monorail to the other parks and instead bought the Family Channel (now know as ABC-Family channel) for about 3 billion dollars.

z

:space:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter