Express Pass

Two days with express may be ok, but like others have said have a plan. Summer will be busy. We have a July trip, 6 days and have APs with after 4 express. We wanted a more leisurely trip. Will do mornings, mid day break and after 4 express.

We prefer EP! My DH and I have taken many trips without kids and always get it - this summer is out first trip with kids. We have five park days and will have unlimited EP for each of those. It really makes the trip more relaxing.

We purchased AP's to get the resort discounts and stay at a premium resort to get the unlimited express pass included for our full stay. We have saved a lot of money by doing this.

Total US noob here. How much time does the EP knock off waits? I saw one website say the EP line is usually less than 15 minutes. Does that seem accurate? Seems kind of too good to be true. Haha.

Those with the ep, can have waits for a ride but it’s less of line wait.

Time waits vary.
Some rides command a larger draw for guests

I use the ep and have had 20 minute waits for a potter ride before on a busy weekend day

Some less popular rides my waits have been 5 minutes

Total US noob here. How much time does the EP knock off waits? I saw one website say the EP line is usually less than 15 minutes. Does that seem accurate? Seems kind of too good to be true. Haha.

They say it`s usually less than 20 minutes. We`ve mostly found that to be the case.

Most are walk ons within minutes, on one occasion we waited 25 minutes due to a problem with the ride. Another there was a delay as someone had been ill and they had to clean the ride. Or an extremely busy time you may wait longer, but that`s not the daily norm on most rides.

As mac says, it can happen, but in all our trips, always using EP we find the waits to be completely minimal. For example the Hulk was showing at 90 minutes, we had gone on 3 times within 15 minutes...much to the annoyance of some of the folks we passed again and again who were in the regular line.

It really is worth it`s weight in gold and we wouldn`t be without them whatever time of year it is.

In general they are usually less than 20. However, I have ridden the Hogwarts Express on very busy days and it was still a very long wait. This was coming from US to IOA. I think this was the exception though.

Thanks for the insight! One other related question about wizarding world... if we have early entry at US (not available at IOA our day) and do have unlimited EP, does it make sense to go straight to Ollivanders? I was thinking to get there before the gates open, go straight to Ollies and knock that out, then EP gringotts, and then EP hogwart express both directions. That would hopefully knock all 4 of those out in 2 hours or less, then we could spend a few more hours in diagon alley before walking over to IOA to do hogsmeade and the rest of the park

I would be at mercy of the VP gods for Hargids Motorbike but I don’t think I can avoid that without bypassing the early entry at US?

thanks!

Thanks for the insight! One other related question about wizarding world... if we have early entry at US (not available at IOA our day) and do have unlimited EP, does it make sense to go straight to Ollivanders? I was thinking to get there before the gates open, go straight to Ollies and knock that out, then EP gringotts, and then EP hogwart express both directions. That would hopefully knock all 4 of those out in 2 hours or less, then we could spend a few more hours in diagon alley before walking over to IOA to do hogsmeade and the rest of the park

I would be at mercy of the VP gods for Hargids Motorbike but I don’t think I can avoid that without bypassing the early entry at US?

thanks!
I think what you have posted makes a lot of sense. Ollivander’s doesn’t take EP or have VQ, so getting in line immediately is a good strategy.

I personally don’t think I’d ride the Hogwarts Express back to back as a ride only. I’d probably do whatever I wanted in Diagon Alley, and then take HE as a method of transportation over to Hogsmeade. It’s not a quick walk. It might be best to see what VQ time you can catch for Hagrid’s, and look to get the HE about 45 minutes before your Hagrid’s window opens. If you get there too early, you can explore Hogsmeade, and if you’re a little late, no problem because the return window is half an hour. Then do Forbidden Journey and Hippogriff with EP, see the tri wizard spirit rally, and take HE back to Diagon Alley when you’re ready.

I think what you have posted makes a lot of sense. Ollivander’s doesn’t take EP or have VQ, so getting in line immediately is a good strategy.

I personally don’t think I’d ride the Hogwarts Express back to back as a ride only. I’d probably do whatever I wanted in Diagon Alley, and then take HE as a method of transportation over to Hogsmeade. It’s not a quick walk. It might be best to see what VQ time you can catch for Hagrid’s, and look to get the HE about 45 minutes before your Hagrid’s window opens. If you get there too early, you can explore Hogsmeade, and if you’re a little late, no problem because the return window is half an hour. Then do Forbidden Journey and Hippogriff with EP, see the tri wizard spirit rally, and take HE back to Diagon Alley when you’re ready.

Awesome! Thank you. I saw a video tour where someone rode HE back to back to get it over with, so I assumed that was a thing people did. haha. But, I like your thoughts better. Thanks again!

I've a question about EP.

Does the price changes? Should I buy them on the site or do I have to buy them with anticipation because they will be more expensive as time goes by?

One thing about EPs and wait times, it really depends on where the EP line merges with the regular line. Some queues' EP lines are separate all the way to, or nearly all the way to, the loading area (IIRC Hulk, Spiderman, Transformers, FJ, for example). Other lines merge you in with regular non EP riders earlier on (Gringott's, HE, Mummy). The ones where you are separate longer will have MUCH shorter waits, like 20 minutes or less. The ones where you merge farther back in line will be longer, so maybe 20 or more depending on how busy it is. REGARDLESS, the EPs are always worth it IMO if you can afford them or can afford to stay at a premiere hotel (my personal choice).

(My experience above is based on pre-COVID trips, so maybe the merging has changed since then.)

I think they are. Escape from Gringots, Hogwarts Express, and Forbidden Journey always have long lines, and it gives you more time to explore the rest of the parks.

Don’t book a package. Book a room and buy your tickets separately. Just don’t buy Express Passes. You get them automatically in one of the 3 hotels.
I agree that the best crowd predictor is the price of EPs on their website.
How come you do not recommend booking a package when staying at a premier resort?

How bad is it to not have the EP? We are going mid June for a Disney trip, staying via DVC points. Never been to Universal and were planning a one day trip to Universal. the EP is over $1000 for the four of us. That seems too steep for an EP, especially since our kids are not big roller coaster fans (ages 10 and 14). I'm now debating skipping Universal and maybe trying next year with a stay at one of the premier resorts.

Many go to UO and don’t have the EP and still enjoy the parks

street shows and exploring the area still make it a full fun day at the parks

take in some of the shows as the theaters do hold a large number of guests

How bad is it to not have the EP? We are going mid June for a Disney trip, staying via DVC points. Never been to Universal and were planning a one day trip to Universal. the EP is over $1000 for the four of us. That seems too steep for an EP, especially since our kids are not big roller coaster fans (ages 10 and 14). I'm now debating skipping Universal and maybe trying next year with a stay at one of the premier resorts.

You could just get a throw away one night reservation that covers check and check out day for around $500 and get Express Pass for free with your “stay” at HRH, POB or RPR.

1/2 the price of buying separately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter