EXPIRED - Direct Sales Incentives - Summer 2020 - Expanded list!

Just got the Info for SSR, OKW and AKL via Mail.

discounts per point for Add-Ons:

100-124 Points: 2$
125-149 Points: 4$
150-199 Points: 8$
200-299 Points: 11$
300-499 Points: 13$
500-999 Points: 18$
1000+ Points: 20$

I don’t know if these are also valid until 16th of September
Interesting, those AKL numbers are different than what someone else was quoted yesterday.

I mean the $2/point discount on an 100 point add on that gets you the blue card is better than getting hit in the head with a brick, but yes, it's bizarre.

And for new members like me the 150 points needed to get a discount is prohibitive. I'd save so much money buying 100 points direct at no discount and the rest resale and the only incentive not to do so is that I can't stay at Riviera? Please.

You have to wonder if better incentives will come out after these expire in September if sales are slow, or if this is the best they are going to do. Perhaps they are buckling down and taking a long term view on sales of RIV. I agree, these incentives are better than getting hit in the head by a brick. But they are certainly not enough to tempt me right now, and I have been on the fence. I’d like to add about 135 points total, either direct or resale. Direct is having a very hard time making sense without more sweetener in the pot. I agree with others that 0% financing would be awesome. But I imagine Disney makes a TON of money off of financing and they probably don’t want to cut off that cash cow.

I mean the $2/point discount on an 100 point add on that gets you the blue card is better than getting hit in the head with a brick, but yes, it's bizarre.

But is it though? I guess if you are buying 100 points direct no matter what, then sure

But is the margin on the lower price via resale vs direct pricing plus the value of the perks so slim that $200 off direct is enough to sway it?

...or better than getting poked in the eye, but not by much. I got the call and the $2 is valid on AKL and OKW 100 points for members. Financing for members is 11.99% (choke, gag) for 10% down but "only" 8.99% if you put 20% down (repeat), yes EM Lawrence the cow is mooing.

My guide is emailing all the gory details. I'd hate to buy and save a whopping $200 on my October AKL Unicorn only to find out there is a better deal at the end of September. I'm going to have a hard sell on DH, especially after just buying BRV! Thankfully, someone else got the BWV I "accidentally" bid on -whew! DVC if you are listening 0% and we're all in!

This is such a bizarre discount and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. There was just a price increase in, what, January of this year? That means you could have gotten SSR, OKW, and AKV for cheaper just 6 months ago at any number of points under 150 and the economy was in a far better state, to boot. I mean I guess it's nice they're incentivizing these sold-out resorts at all for people who either can't or won't buy resale (and it shows they're trying to jump start their cash flow), but is anyone buying 150 AKV points for $178/pp ($186 - $8) when you could so easily beat that price on the resale market? Same for OKW and SSR.
This is different for AKL than what I was quoted yesterday, but at least is a little better!

Let's say you get 150 AKV on the resale for $105, and direct is $178. That's a difference of $10,950. However, if you have a family of 4 and are planning on APs, you'll make up that difference in 7 years (presuming $2k savings first year, and $1500 savings for renewal), and then you'll have the Blue Card and all the discounts and benefits associated with it. That is part of the long-term thinking I considered when purchasing direct.

200 points CCV is $2000 more than 2000 AKL direct, but I get 11 more years, so that is worth it to me to pass on those direct benefits to my kids in the long term.

That said, I really do wish direct prices weren't so outrageous. It is why I also own several resale contracts.

I'd hate to buy and save a whopping $200 on my October AKL Unicorn only to find out there is a better deal at the end of September.

This, to me, is the other big piece. As far as I'm aware, DVC has not offered incentives on long sold-out resorts, so I am very surprised to see this. It tells me if they've done it once, they'll do it again. So the question is, do I think that both Disney specifically and the travel industry in general will be recovered by the time these incentives expire such that they don't have to offer them again? I don't think so, especially now that they've let this genie out the bottle. What if it's a bad summer and everything is slow and Disney gets more aggressive in October?

The other question, of course, is do I think we've reached the bottom of the resale market pricing? I also don't think that's happened yet either.

Let's say you get 150 AKV on the resale for $105, and direct is $178. That's a difference of $10,950. However, if you have a family of 4 and are planning on APs, you'll make up that difference in 7 years (presuming $2k savings first year, and $1500 savings for renewal), and then you'll have the Blue Card and all the discounts and benefits associated with it. That is part of the long-term thinking I considered when purchasing direct.

I agree. The Gold AP is a nice carrot. It hasn't been offered for all that long in the grand scheme of DVC, so you'd have to be confident they'll continue to offer it for the next 7 years. Or that you'll actually buy it 7 times over the course of the contract. Or that the spread between full price and renewal will continue to be that much (or that a renewal discount will continue to be offered at all). It just strikes me as a lot of unknowns.

Also, to my thinking above, you have to think $105 is the lowest a 150 point AKV resale contract will go. I don't think it is. But I'm not an expert, so it's also a personal decision.

Now if you love Riviera, then go for it. If you love CCV, maybe - but you can get a big discount on resale there as well. A guaranteed week during a hard to book time of the year (like December) is worth consideration there.

But is it though? I guess if you are buying 100 points direct no matter what, then sure

But is the margin on the lower price via resale vs direct pricing plus the value of the perks so slim that $200 off direct is enough to sway it?
Of course it's not. Anyone buying a sold out direct contract is either ill informed, price insensitive, or has a very specific reason to - and none of those people will be moved by $200. Maybe $1000. But if you were going to do it anyway I mean it's $200, which is definitely better than a brick to the head!

If Disney is unable to unload the sold out points they want to unload perhaps they come back with better incentives. But I'd bet that instead they just keep ROFR to a minimum.

Okay, on the plus side, with Oct UY you do get 2019 points for 0 - I confirmed this. You also get 2020 points prorated (you pay Oct, Nov, Dec). That takes a bit of the sting out equal to about $15 pp to buy in ($169 net pp) using my own calculations which I use for all purchases. When we originally bought in 1996, closing costs were 0, we got 2 years of free points and they paid for our resort stay as a credit, plus we got a fancy hard cover book and of course, ice cream.

My main issue is I can't find Oct UY and compromised on a June UY for BRV. DH has a few years before retirement and staying for (at least) the entire month of January is the carrot I'm dangling... Just park the car for a week at AKL, a week at OKW, a week at BRV and another two weeks at OKW how can he resist LOL?? Hanging out by the pool is way better than shoveling two feet of snow every three days, or being hit in the head by a brick!

Edit: I goofed on the prorated part! 2020 dues from date of purchase so July -Dec billed shortly after closing

Last edited:
There's bits of information in 4 different threads so I thought it would be helpful to consolidate everything to one post that I can update as we fill in the gaps. Please post below what you find out!

Read as $X off per point of the purchase of XXX-XXX points.

ResortExisting Member incentivesNew member incentives
Copper Creek
($220)
$5 / 100-124
$15 / 125-149
$25 / 150-199
$35 / 200-299
$40 / 300-499
$15 / 150-199
$25 / 200-299
$30 / 300-499
Aulani
($195)
$5 / 100-124
$15 / 125-149
$25 / 150-199
$35 / 200-299
$40 / 300-499
$45 / 500-999
$15 / 150-199
$25 / 200-299
$30 / 300-499
Riviera
($195)
$5 / 100-124
$15 / 125-149
$25 / 150-199
$35 / 200-299
$40 / 300-499
$45 / 500-999
$15 / 150-199
$25 / 200-299
$30 / 300-499
Old Key West
($165)
$2 / 100-124
$4 / 125-149
$8 / 150-199
$11 / 200-299
$13 / 300-499
$18 / 500-999
$20 / 1000+
$5 / 150-199
$8 / 200-?
Animal Kingdom Lodge
($186)
$2 / 100-124
$4 / 125-149
$8 / 150-199
$11 / 200-299
$13 / 300-499
$18 / 500-999
$20 / 1000+
TBD
Bay Lake Tower
($235)
TBDNo offer
Saratoga Springs
($165)
$2 / 100-124
$4 / 125-149
$8 / 150-199
$11 / 200-299
$13 / 300-499
$18 / 500-999
$20 / 1000+
TBD
Polynesian
($245)
$11 / 200-?TBD

Thanks to all who have called and gotten prices @Lorana @Ben@M1CK3Y @macman123
Current list pricing:
Not enough to make me buy direct

These seem like very good discounts. I believe there was a threat recently about the "great" BLT discounts years ago that were around 10%. Here, a modest 125 points is 12% off, then 16.7% off for 150 points and 18% off 200 points. $35/point for 200 points is nearly double the $20/point off from last incentive.

The biggest hurdle of resale for me was not staying at new resorts but now that Reflections is off the table I don’t care as much.

I've been in a similar boat. With Reflections off it feels like the earliest we'd see something new is 2025 and that feels like pushing. DVC's energy has shifted to the new California resort that it could be later in 2020s before we see anything else at WDW. At that point I'm not sure I'd really care about the 2030s when 2042 resorts will eventually be resold.

All that said I'm considering 200 points and having it split into 2 100 point contracts should I decide to unload in the future. Buying at $160/point leaves a lot of room to resell in 10-15 years if needed.

Timing wise, I'm considering the last week before the deadline and backing out and resigning if the Fall incentive numbers work out better.

This, to me, is the other big piece. As far as I'm aware, DVC has not offered incentives on long sold-out resorts, so I am very surprised to see this. It tells me if they've done it once, they'll do it again. So the question is, do I think that both Disney specifically and the travel industry in general will be recovered by the time these incentives expire such that they don't have to offer them again? I don't think so, especially now that they've let this genie out the bottle. What if it's a bad summer and everything is slow and Disney gets more aggressive in October?

The other question, of course, is do I think we've reached the bottom of the resale market pricing? I also don't think that's happened yet either.
I'm no expert, but my prediction is that there won't be better discounts in the fall. Covid cases and deaths will continue to rise, but enough of the country will act as if all is still well. But there likely will be again in spring/summer 2021, because the winter rise plus complications added in with seasonal flu, pneumonia, and other winter illnesses will upset travel, safety, and the economy all over again in early 2021. (Note, I'm actually hoping this won't happen, because I have a big family trip planned in February!). I expect resale to lower again at end of year/begin of year, but bottom out is probably late 2021/early 2022.

Tell me if I understand well: if I buy direct at any resort , I will have access to all the new resorts at 7 months with only the direct contract points.

Tell me if I understand well: if I buy direct at any resort , I will have access to all the new resorts at 7 months with only the direct contract points.
You understanding is correct. Only limitations come into play when you buy resale contracts, and there is a whole lot of different restrictions with those.

Another thing that changed sometime is the minimum purchase. DRR was increased for an Add-On purchase to 50 points (from 25). Aulani is still at 25. I may call a guide to see if that is accurate. You used to be able to buy 25 if you paid cash and 50 was the minimum for financing.
Let me know what you hear about DVC allowing you to buy 25 points direct at Riveria instead of 50. If DVC removes Riveria restrictions due to covid and a bad economy maybe they will get alot of add on sales.

That's probably why though. CCV and AKL have very different discounts. CCV and RIV have the same discounts for 300 points.
While speaking to my Sales Guide today, I asked about 100 points CCV and 100 points RIV and if I'd be offer the 200 point incentive, and the answer was no. I didn't push to see if an exception could be made, however, as I'm currently looking to see about guaranteed week availability.

Another thing that changed sometime is the minimum purchase. DRR was increased for an Add-On purchase to 50 points (from 25). Aulani is still at 25. I may call a guide to see if that is accurate. You used to be able to buy 25 if you paid cash and 50 was the minimum for financing.

I also noticed in the screenshots upthread, that RIV has 50 point minimum for financing, but Copper Creek has a 100 point minimum for financing.

Weird question - let's say I own 100 pts resale AKL and I bought after restrictions to not be able to book at Riv. Let's say I buy 100 pts direct anywhere. Can I use my 100 pts resale now to book at Riv now that I'm a direct member or do the restrictions remain on the resale contract? I'm guessing latter.

Weird question - let's say I own 100 pts resale AKL and I bought after restrictions to not be able to book at Riv. Let's say I buy 100 pts direct anywhere. Can I use my 100 pts resale now to book at Riv now that I'm a direct member or do the restrictions remain on the resale contract? I'm guessing latter.

Nope. The restrictions follow the contract, not the member. Only your 100 direct points could be used at Riviera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter