Expert opinions on outdoor grills

Happyjen27

DIS Veteran
I'm sorry to barge into your Dad group, as I am a mom, not a dad. However, I need some experts, and I'm guessing you guys are experts.

I want to buy my husband a new grill for Anniversary/Father's Day/Birthday. This year's anniversary theme is "Hollowed Silver" and it's a stretch, but, I'm going to guess he would like this better than a new silver teapot.

Charcoal is not an option. I know this is the gold standard of all things grill, however, neither of us have the inclination to charcoal grill our meals.

Based on that, would you recommend the traditional gas grill, or the new infared kind?

My sweetie is gadgety, he likes new technology. He's also, forgive me, a terrible griller. I'm hoping this is due to our 7 year old gas grill, and not his grilling ability.

So Dads, which type of grill do you recommend for someone not very skilled (yet!) on the grill?

Since charcoal is out, I would go with gas. Never used infrared but my understanding is it uses gas to heat the pans that disperses the heat. While infrared may be easier dealing with flare ups, there is nothing like feeding your inner cave man and cook food over fire. Gas is easy to start and you can grill or slow cook (say a whole chicken). You can also buy a smoker pan that you can use to add smoke to the meats. Prices and bells and whistles vary from inexpensive to outlandish. If he is a gadget person, watch out, there are a ton of toys he can play with.

You should also get him a good barbecue book that has different recipes, techniques and grilling tips. Years ago I was given "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlen. Not sure if it is still in print but it is a great book. Last week I was thumbing through it and decided to make beer can chicken. I used to be a bad griller but like anything else, practice makes perfect.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...823&KPID=6111451&kpid=6111451&pla=pla_6111451
pACE3-6111451dt.jpg

This is what I have, and I love it. The left side is gas, and the right side is charcoal. Since you aren't looking for charcoal use, that will be too much for you. I echo the advise already given: gas is a better option than infrared. They come in many varieties but having at least 3 burner zones will allow for multiple foods to be cooked at once and better temp control.

Go gas, and if you can find it, get one with brass burners. I expect that my burners may outlast the stainless steel outer shell.

Another thing to consider when you're looking is to make sure the model you get has a thermometer that tells you the temperature inside the grill. It doesn't sound important but you need to know how hot your grill is. Especially if you're slow cooking something.

Thank you all! I'm so glad I asked. I'm intrigued by the charcoal gas hybrid. I think if I get him a grilling book he will want to try charcoal sometimes.

Just keep in mind that grill takes up a ton of space, about 5 feet long. So if you don't have a large patio or yard it might not fit. Other than that, it is awesome because I prefer to use charcoal, but I have the option for gas if I'm on a time crunch. There is also an optional smokebox that can be purchased and added to the right side. (I live in NC now and southern bbq is a way of life).

I have never used infrared. I prefer gas to charcoal, and I'll use woodchips to get the right kind of smoke for flavor. I look for a thermometer on the outside and a side cooker for pots or pans. Also, following up on Compshu, several houses in our neighborhood have melted siding because they put the grill too close to the house. How they didn't burn the house down too? Is beyond me. So, make sure the grill is in a good location. One more suggestion: look at the grease trap and make sure it is easy to clean. Mine is a tray that slides out and then I can hose it off. If the grease catch isn't easy to clean, it won't get cleaned, and then you could have a grease fire that could really ruin a cook out. Finally, if you are buying a grill - make sure to also buy long handled cooking utensils. If he tries to cook with kitchen utensils, there won't be any hair left on his arms - it'll all be singed off. Happy Grilling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter