Experience with POP?

Mik2DW2007

Earning My Ears
I let my brother make the reservations for our mini-trip next month and I thought he had made the res. for ASMu, which I was happy about because they were recently renovated... But when I got the paperwork it showed ASMo, which I didn't want to stay at, so I called and all they had was POP... When I looked at Tripadvisor there was a review that talked about the run-down apperance and the fact that they had bedbugs in their room (they even posted pics, ewww!)...

This has me freaking out & I was hoping someone could let me know how different the rooms were from ASMu to POP... Are the POP rooms really run down, worse than ASMu? I really do appreciate the cost-effectiveness of a Value, but I'm not sure I'm ready for a room with stained carpet and mildewed grout...

Thanks!:goodvibes

Are the POP rooms really run down, worse than ASMu?

We stayed at Pop one January and later at ASmu that September. We noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of the rooms... and because of this... will not be returning to Pop anytime soon.

The new linens, furntiure, paint, carpet, and overall appearances were a huge upgrade compared to Pop. The rooms had such a whimsical feel, very comfortable, and with the added benefit of a small coat rack and a privacy curtain (we were in a preferred room). The overall design is fun and even relaxing!

We didn't find Pop's room to be all that bad... but definately not to Disney standards in our opinion. The rooms were dull, lack luster, and we greatly missed the "disney resort" feel. Outside of that... we found our room to be spotless, well maintained, and clean. No horror stories here.

I don't think you'll be disapointed at Pop... when you consider the sheer number of thousands of guests at the resort in a weeks time... negative reviews are few and far between! Not to mention that if people want to say anything... it's usually complaints before compliments!

My one recommendation to you and any other guest... is that if your not happy... tell someone! If your not satisfied with the condition of your room, whether your at Pop, ASmo, or ASmu let the front desk know your concerns. A special cleanings or room change may be in order... but taking 20mins out of my vacation to handle the issue is a lot better than 6 more nights in a room I'm miserable in!

We stayed at Pop Century last September and I thought that it was a good bang for our buck. It's a value resort, so you can't expect anything fancy. Everything was very basic. The room is not that big but it was fine for the two of us. The only thing that I found weird is that the sink is outside the washroom. Other than that, I can honestly say that for the duration of our stay (we were there for 10 days), we always found our rooms to be very clean as well as the surrounding areas (pool, main lobby, cafeteria). We had no bed bugs, no carpet stains and no mildewed grout. After a long day at the parks, we always came back to a clean and fully replenished hotel room.

As a side note, we also noticed that out of all the other value resorts (Music, Sports), the bus came more frequently for POP. I actually think it's the only value resort that has its dedicated bus. The other value resorts have to share buses and stop at the other value resorts.

If you're on a budget, it's a great place to stay. We didn't mind staying at POP because we were barely in our hotel room. We actually only went there to sleep. But I wouldn't worry if I were you. As someone who has stayed there, I can tell you that I would stay there again!

Have fun on your trip and let me know if you have any other questions.

I stayed at Pop once. It was okay. The only other Disney hotel I've stayed at is All Star Sports, and I liked it much better, to be honest. My room at Pop was clean and all, don't get me wrong. But it seemed like I had to walk forever from my room to the main building and then to the bus stop. If you're on a budget, it'll probably be a good deal for you.

Maybe you could keep trying for ASMU or ASSR as they've both undergone renovation. The last time we stayed at POP, it seemed a little shabby but not awful or anything.

I'm a Frequent Flyer at all of the values. I have not found Pop to be run down and I'll be back there later this year. It is LARGER, more stories, more rooms than the AS, so you can also expect more crowds and higher noise levels in the food court and other common areas. I like its food court best of all the values. If you are so worried, why not try for another value resort? ASMusic is my personal fave.

We have stayed at 3 of the 4 values and were extremely happy at each one. The only value we haven't stayed at is ASSp. Each value was clean, staff happy and willing to help with a smile. Never had an issue with anything at any value. :thumbsup2

We have done POP twice as a Grand Gathering group. Everyone was very happy staying there. We are going there in August again. We has stayed at All-Star sports a couple of times and liked POP better. We stayed in the preferred and last time we asked for preferred in the 50's section. We had a great time there and the bus service was good. The resort is close to everything and the POP buses are just for POP. The All-Star resorts share the buses so they are always really crowded.

Have stayed at POP 4 times and AS Mu once (and three of the times at POP were last fall, as was the stay at Music). I really didn't think there was a huge difference in shabbiness of the furnishings, even though AS Mu has been much more recently renovated. I much prefer POP -- I like the food court and the pool better, and the Mousekeeping at POP seemed like they were more on their toes. As for the buses...I don't know. We sometimes waited a long time at POP. But then again, we've waited a long time at EVERY resort, even the deluxes. Which is why we usually drive to the parks (unless it's during the F&W Festival!!)

We have never been disappointed in any of our rooms at POP. They have always been clean, with nothing broken. We check for bedbugs at every hotel we visit, regardless of price or reputation. We have never found any evidence of bedbugs in any of our rooms at POP.

I love the POP! The food court is great. The resort is really fun. We especially love the Goofy Fountains.:goodvibes The transportation is good too because you don't share with any other resorts. I loved staying there and so do the kids.

We stayed at POP in December 2008 - didn't notice anything at all that looked run down (and I do notice things like that!) I was at ASMusic before the renovation and the rooms didn't look run down then either. We never stay in preferred rooms - could that be the difference? We will be at POP in late August again.

I've stayed at POP (Mar 08), ASMu (Jan 07, Mar 09), and ASSp (Sep 08) and found all of the rooms to be about the same. We were not in the "preferred rooms" but near the back of each of the resorts. The rooms were clean and all set up about the same ... 2 dbl beds, table & 2 chairs, hat/coat hooks, TV/dresser stand, etc. They just had slightly different patterns on the bed/curtains and the picture and wall paper border. Otherwise, I couldn't tell much difference between any of those three resorts.

The only value resort that I have not stayed at is ASMo and that is the one that I've heard "black stuff" about ... I understand that it has yet to be refurbished.

Regardless of which resort you end up at, if you are unhappy with the condition of your room, please let them know. Friends of friends were recently at ASMo and reported a problem -- after reassignment to 3 rooms they expressed great displeasure and were relocated to WL !!!

For me, happiness with the resort has to do with cleanliness, preceived value, and then, of course, with who you end up next door!!

I stayed at Pop last year (non-preffered room) and was completely happy! The bed was so comfortable...maybe it was just that I was so tired each night!

I could not fault the place at all. And I am now coming back this year!

I did only spend minimal time in my room - really it was only to shower and sleep...otherwise I was at the parks.

I think it is really good value for your money.

Whatever you decide..ENJOY! You will be in DISNEY!

We love POP! But, I've never stayed anywhere else either. We have a trip booked for Nov/Dec 2009 and will be staying at Pop for the 3rd time. I think the rooms are just what they need to be. A place to lay your extremely tired body from all the fun you had that day at the parks. I saw no bedbugs or any other bugs for that matter. I will be honest and say that there was a raisin stuck in the carpet right at the threshhold to the bathroom door. :confused3 It must have been a super raisin because that sucker would not come out!

Not sure if you found the Pop thread yet so here is a link to that http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1991543&page=164 The very first post has tons of information about Pop. Maps of the resort, pics of the rooms, etc.

How could Pop be possibly run down? It is only 5 years old. There wouldn't be any need for updates yet. I would hope that the All Stars have been updated more recently than the Pop since it is only 5 years old.

We have stayed at POP and are going back this July. Most recently we stayed at CBR in Feb and as far as rooms go, there is not much difference!

We loved POP, I'm sure you will too!

Our first trip we stayed at SSR, and our second at PC. We had a terrific time both trips! :thumbsup2

While Pop in no way compares to Saratoga Springs, it was still very nice and functional. Remember that it is a value resort, so all of the "bells and whistles" may not be there but it was nice, functional, and clean!

We checked for bedbugs, believe you me, but found none (at either resort). I think the "mousekeeping" was actually better at Pop Century than it was at SSR! Our room was kept clean at Pop Century! We got numerous towel animals at PC and even came back to the room and found an unexpected anniversary card and balloon bouquet (anniversary date was noted on ADR but did not expect anything to be done at the resort, or even at Boma's for that matter, we were pleasantly surprised both places)!

Pop Century is themed really cute, you could spend a day just strolling the sidewalks and reading signs, looking at the huge icons and decorations, looking at the lobby shadowboxes, ect... there are some great things to see there! I spent several hours exploring on my scooter, while "my guys" went on a fishing excursion and really enjoyed seeing what PC had to offer.

Would we stay there again? :confused3 Absolutely... without hesitation! :goodvibes

The price was wonderful, rooms nice and clean, needs met, extras brought when ask (towels, toiletries), staff pleasant, food court busy but decent, decor cute and well themed, and it has dedicated buses (no sharing)!

We're Pop-jockeys. We've stayed at the deluxes as well as the mods but not at the AllStars. For us, we LOVE Pop, and don't find the resort to be overwhelming. We get 4th floor lake views which are to die for and very tranquil, especially early in the morning. We also like the dedicated bus service, which in our opinion is top-notch. The only down side of Pop that we can figure out is that we have to leave all too soon!!! You'll enjoy it very much, make sure to have your camera handy at all times, and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter