Excuse Letters for School

heatherfeather24 said:
I'm curious (not judging, just curious), why pull your kids out of school? Is it just a matter of convenience (don't want to go when it's crowded), or are there usually other factors at play?

That's easy. Money. It's cheaper for us to go during value season, and that just happens to be when school is in session. The crowds don't really bother me, and the heat, well...it's Florida, after all. But the money is a biggie for our family. We need to go on vacation when we can afford to go. :)

bigmac5 said:
What would have happened if they weren't excused? If you went anyway would there have been a penalty?

I am amazed at the policy difference in schools. When I spoke to my son's teacher and asked him if he would like to send some work with us he said, "Now what kind of vacation would that be?" "Why doesn't he just do a presentation when he gets back". As a responsible parent, I will ensure he does his home reading down there. I think some of the policies people have talked about would drive me bananas as a parent who does not get Christmas/Easter/Summer off. My child would never get a holiday!

I just contacted our school in Pa, and was told we were required to fill out a form, excusing our kids. I guess is it so our kids won't be subjected to the "No Child left behind act", I think if you have 5 or more unexcused absentsess your child will not pass! No matter how good thier grades are! Going to the school tomorrowto pick up form and will ask more questions at school about it.

I'm curious (not judging, just curious), why pull your kids out of school? Is it just a matter of convenience (don't want to go when it's crowded), or are there usually other factors at play?
One reason is because I'm a nurse. It's very, very difficult to get a vacation request granted during the very busy summer months (when everyone wants off). Also, I'm required (mandated) to work holidays.....so there again, it's very difficult to get out of work when they have off. My dh's work also can be strict with when he takes off. Trying to coordinate the two of us for the same week is no small feat. Takes blood, sweat and tears sometimes. We don't all have off weekends, summers, or holidays unfortunately.

Heat, crowds and money play a factor as well.
I'm so appreciative our school here in a suburb just outside Philly grants students 5 school year vacation days. Anything over that must be approved and it has always been. My children are given adequate time to make up the work, and in fact, a good portion of it is done while on vacation. We love escaping the cold of the northeast during Fall/Winter too. It's such a treat to leave Philly and 30 degrees and touch down in sunny FL for a week-long thaw. :sunny:

Good luck to the OP. We always mention the educational benefits of visiting FL during the school year (i.e. Epcot has many educational attractions. Stop by the Guest Services Desk at the park entrance and they'll give you plenty of literature about many educational things that Epcot does----AK too !). Offsite, Sea World is very educational and will also supply informational pamphlets if your child is required to do a report upon returning. Mine have to do this from time to time and we've never been lacking in information to compile the report.
Happy vacationing ! :flower:

I think its wonderful that your kids get 5 vacation days from school. We just got back from WDW and I had to call my youngest into school, because she missed the first day of school. I remember thinking that I hoped it was a legal excuse! I know she learned alot more educationally from WDW than she would have that particular day at school!

heatherfeather24 said:

The reason I take my dd(12yo) out of school for our trips is because my youngest dd who is 2yo has had medical problems. She was born with a lung condition and had part of her lung removed at 5 days old. Since then she has asthma like symptoms which are aggrivated by extreme temperatures, hot or cold. So going in the summer would create major problems for her medically. Our school is usually understanding as I provide medical documentation to them. However even if this wasn't the case I still would not go during summer because me and the children are extremely sensetive to the heat. We get severe headaches, nausia, and just plain worn out from it and it would not be enjoyable. I'm also preggo with #3 so our next trip would be with a 10 month old that I would not want to subject to that kind of heat. I am trying to plan our 2006 trip around the Thanksgiving holiday and so I don't really mind the crowds or extra cost of going during a busier time. The schools make it hard though because they don't usually give the next school years schedule till the end of the current school year so it is hard to plan ahead. I'm planning on using this years schedule and hoping it doesn't change much next year. Just no way could we do this trip in the summer Florida heat :sunny:

my fiancee told me when they pulled him and his brother out of school they wrote a note saying there had been a death in the family and the funeral was out of state.

LiLIrishChick63 said:
my fiancee told me when they pulled him and his brother out of school they wrote a note saying there had been a death in the family and the funeral was out of state.

A recent conversation with my father, DS and DD's grandfather, I asked him what he did back in the day when I was in school and we went on vacation during the school year. He said "I think you set the record of number of Grandparents, aunts,uncles and Cousins die in a ten year period", he said the record keeping back then was not the greatest.

heatherfeather24 said:

We tend to lean towards the "value season" or "regular season" because yes quite honestly - it is less expensive and less crowded. DH is limited on when he can take time out from work (it seems that schools and company's are working against each other) so it does work out for us. We went in June one year (the first time we took the kids) we were there 8 days 7 nights - it rained 7 of the day and I don't mean FL rain - I mean rain all day talk about a miserable trip. DH had to go back to work after a less than stellar vacation and the kids had the rest of the summer - we made up our minds then - we would go in the "off season" - it is less stressful for me as well ( I don't do very well with crowds - I panic )

Side note - something I have noticed as of late - more and more people are willing to take thier kids out of school for a trip to WDW so crowds are starting to elevate even in the "value season"

Our school does not allow family vacation time, it is unexcused. Unexcused work can not be made up for a grade but must be made up ... that is right a big fat 0 for everything missed (the first year my DD went from A's to D's for two vacation days and that is horrible for fourth grade.) After 3 days according to their policy they can turn you over to social services. Crazy ... All that this policy has really done is made parents lie which is truely a bad example for the children but what can we do ???????????

Bronte said:
Our school does not allow family vacation time, it is unexcused. Unexcused work can not be made up for a grade but must be made up ... that is right a big fat 0 for everything missed (the first year my DD went from A's to D's for two vacation days and that is horrible for fourth grade.) After 3 days according to their policy they can turn you over to social services. Crazy ... All that this policy has really done is made parents lie which is truely a bad example for the children but what can we do ???????????
Wow, that's strict. A bit over the top, I'd say! In your case, I'd lie too. Just sad to hear about that.

This is straight out of the Student Handbook. We are going in November taking my DS13 out of school for 3 days, my wife will be working things out with school. Personally I have a problem with a lot of policies the school has, I am probably not alone.

Thanks for this thread, now I know we are not the only ones that go through this.

*When a child is absent the parent is required to call school before 9:30 a.m. The only legal excuses for absence or tardiness allowed under the New York State Education Law are:

1. Personal illness

2. Serious illness or death in the family

3. Religious observance

4. Approved school supervised trips

5. Required presence in court

6. Doctor’s appointment

Absences for any other reason are considered illegal and will be entered on the student’s permanent attendance record. Tardiness is considered after 7:57 a.m.

In the case of an absence or tardiness, a written excuse from the parent must be presented to the teacher on the same day the child returns to school. NY State law requires the written excuse explaining the absence from school, the date of the absence and the parent’s signature. The school is required by law to keep all absentee excuses. Students are not authorized to write or sign excuses even with the parent’s knowledge or consent.

Students are responsible for keeping informed of makeup work missed in class. The student must contact the teacher to arrange for makeup work when he or she returns to school. Parents who wish to pick up their child’s work or have work sent home with another student must notify the office before 10:00 a.m. to make arrangements.

Students who are illegally absent, truant or cut a class will not be afforded the opportunity to make up work for credit. Students will receive a grade of zero for any graded work missed due to illegal absences, truancy or the cutting of class.

Oversleeping, missing the bus, non-medical appointments, shopping, trips with parents, and vacations are considered ILLEGAL. Family vacations should be planned to correspond with school recesses.

Excessive illegal absences may result in reports being filed to the proper authorities.

Religious observance...I *LIKE* that one...let's use it! :rotfl2: "We are having services at WDW this year"

About handbooks and school rules, etc...if they violate your constitutional parental right to the "care, custody and control" of your own child, they don't count anymore. The problem is that parents have slowly handed over their rights to the public schools and have NOT fought to keep them over the years so the schools/legislatures think they can get away with it (and will continue to do so as long as people continue to let them).

I have had encounters with the public school system over this very thing and when I push my point (and they refer it to their attorneys), I have won every single time. BUT, you have to be willing to make the stand and walk the talk.

Good luck to everyone, it's not an easy road, but it is the right one.

Wow, this is a harsh (over-the-top) policy Bronte. Sorry to hear your school district is so unflexible and not understanding of other's situations.
I know we'd rarely/never vacation if I had to go only during school breaks. These are some of the busiest/and or mandatory times for people in my profession to work. I have seen so many nurses get turned down for summer vacations at my hospital. It's so hard when schools think everyone has the same ease when it comes to vacations.

Bronte said:

I think it's insane how school policies and administrators are dictating to us how to raise our family with regards to vacations/absences etc......and yet they are the first to complain that they are NOT there to raise our kids - I take issue with the attendence procedures with my kids schools because thay ask that you notify the teacher/administrators at least 2 weeks before an extended absence(if you MUST go during school) but they don't guarentee that it will be accepted - so I am simply confused on the whole situation....Well I have my letter done I just need to print it off and make MANY MANY copies (my two oldest have multiple teachers) and I will be sending them to the school ASAP!!!!

TKERBELL said:
We tend to lean towards the "value season" or "regular season" because yes quite honestly - it is less expensive and less crowded. DH is limited on when he can take time out from work (it seems that schools and company's are working against each other) so it does work out for us. We went in June one year (the first time we took the kids) we were there 8 days 7 nights - it rained 7 of the day and I don't mean FL rain - I mean rain all day talk about a miserable trip. DH had to go back to work after a less than stellar vacation and the kids had the rest of the summer - we made up our minds then - we would go in the "off season" - it is less stressful for me as well ( I don't do very well with crowds - I panic )

Side note - something I have noticed as of late - more and more people are willing to take thier kids out of school for a trip to WDW so crowds are starting to elevate even in the "value season"

We must have been there at the same time in June 2002....because we had a very disappointing trip. Rain like I have never seen it....all day, all night. Just torrential! No poncho in the world could have kept us dry. In fact, the locals said it was the most rain they had gotten in one month!

After that trip, we said never again in June!!

Marcy

marcyinPA said:
We must have been there at the same time in June 2002....because we had a very disappointing trip. Rain like I have never seen it....all day, all night. Just torrential! No poncho in the world could have kept us dry. In fact, the locals said it was the most rain they had gotten in one month!

After that trip, we said never again in June!!

Marcy

AMEN to that!!!!!

My husbands job requires that we vacation during the months of Oct-May. We always pull our kids out of school to go in January. We have never had a problem, as a matter of fact our school district has a form and one of the options to check is this is a Disney trip.

graygables said:
Religious observance...I *LIKE* that one...let's use it! :rotfl2: "We are having services at WDW this year"

About handbooks and school rules, etc...if they violate your constitutional parental right to the "care, custody and control" of your own child, they don't count anymore. The problem is that parents have slowly handed over their rights to the public schools and have NOT fought to keep them over the years so the schools/legislatures think they can get away with it (and will continue to do so as long as people continue to let them).

I have had encounters with the public school system over this very thing and when I push my point (and they refer it to their attorneys), I have won every single time. BUT, you have to be willing to make the stand and walk the talk.

Good luck to everyone, it's not an easy road, but it is the right one.

love your first comment - maybe I will use that - my family is Greek Orthodox - so many of our religious practices are NOT listed in everyday calenders (example - Our Easter usually falls the week after the Christian Easter - note we are still Christian - (we just follow the Julian Calender as opposed to the Gregorian) - even though Greek Orthodoxy is the 2nd largest religion (second to Catholic) to most people (especially here is WEST-BY-GOD-VIRGINIA)it's like an alien landing -

I would like to know more about your second comment and how I would go about insuring that my parental rights are NOT being violated....

And again - I reiterate that it is very disturbing to me that some school districts are controling our ability to spend time with our children even for educational purposes and yet at the same time complaining that they are NOT there to raise our kids......

When I originally posted my question - I was not aware the severity of this issue across the board - until now. I do undertand how absences effect the funding that our schools get - so I wonder if this is more of a Constitutional issue and Government issue than any of us truly recognize.

Thanks to everyone and Good Luck to everyone making the same choices I am - Our children are only children once - we need to enjoy them while they still enjoy being with us :rotfl2: - They grow so fast and then they have families of thier own - I only hope that I will have given my children the security of themselves and the ability to enjoy their family when they have one......

TKERBELL said:
I reiterate that it is very disturbing to me that some school districts are controling our ability to spend time with our children even for educational purposes and yet at the same time complaining that they are NOT there to raise our kids......
QUOTE]

I agree with you, but only to a certain extent. There are many parents out there -- obviously the ones on this board -- who value family time as well as school obligations and work to make an effective balance. These are the good guys.

Unfortunately, I think there are too many other parents out there who expect their children to be 100% relieved of any obligations during their fun family times (and not have ANY consequences, including making up work, upon their return) or, on the opposite end, don't spend any time with their kids and do leave it up to the schools to raise them. These are the people who put our educational system between the rock and the proverbial hard place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter