Exchanging your DVC for another timeshare via RCI

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Exchanging your DVC for another timeshare via RCI

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCI_Exchange.png

RCI is one of the largest brokers of timeshare trades. RCI operates two main exchange programs - RCI Weeks and RCI Points.

Disney Vacation Club has a multi-year affiliation agreement with RCI that offers it’s members access to thousands of RCI affiliated timeshare properties across the globe while RCI's approximately 3.7+ million subscribing members gain access to the 13 Disney Vacation Club resorts. DVC heavily markets this option in their sales pitch to prospective members.

Unlike other timeshares, DVC members aren't members of RCI. Instead, DVCMC has a corporate membership that DVC members can leverage.

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/NotRCIMembers_1.png​

As such, the standard RCI rules do not apply. When trying to determine what the specific policy or rule is on something, don't go by what RCI says on it's web site, but what DVC states.

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCIGuideTerms_1.png​

Due to its nature as a trade facilitator, RCI has to assign a trading power to individual resorts. Basically it's done to attempt to limit those who own undesirable locations from trading into high-demand destinations.

DVC seems to trade quite well within RCI. However, you really need to do your homework and read the reviews for the RCI properties you are interested in. RCI has tons of resorts. However, many timeshare properties don't come close to the quality of DVC. So, you don’t want to trade down in quality – in effect trading a Cadillac for a Civic – you want something comparable to your DVC home resort. When you do a proper investigation you'll be less likely to have a bad experience.

If one is going to use DVC points for exchanging via RCI, they should take the time to learn the ins and outs of exchanging and should plan ahead at least a year (minimum).

Some think only a small subset of RCI resorts are a reasonable exchange using your DVC points. In fact, they say that DVC is a very expensive timeshare to use for exchanges. They think it’s better to just rent out your DVC points and then use the cash to book a hotel or a timeshare rental using that cash (using RedWeek).

Of course, RCI exchanges go both ways, as other timeshare owners can use RCI to trade into DVC. Owners of other RCI resorts only gain access to DVC rooms when DVC owners first opt to trade out to an RCI destination. They do not have unlimited access to all available DVC rooms.

There are various RCI options available:

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCI-Logo.png

RCI Network: Members have access to thousands of vacation options around the globe through the RCI Network.

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RC-Points.png​

RCI Select Resorts: This selection of destinations features 70 Member-favorite vacation options available through RCI. Chosen with Members in mind, these properties offer increased availability—and Vacation Point exchange value—in popular destinations.

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCI-Gold-Crown.png

RCI Gold Crown Resorts: featuring nearly 1,000 vacation options around the world. These Resorts have earned RCI's high rating of Gold Crown.

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCI-Gold-Crown-Points.png​

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCI-Registry.png

The Registry Collection: The Registry Collection is an elite network of the finest vacation properties at some of the world's premier destinations.

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RegistryPoints.png​

TWO TYPES OF EXCHANGE METHODS

There are two types of exchange methods:

Exchange First

DVC Members may place a request for an RCI Exchange into RCI Weeks Resorts with travel dates of up to 24 months in advance of the check-in date. DVC Members may place a request for an RCI Exchange into RCI Points and The Registry Collection Resorts with travel dates of up to 10 months in advance of the check-in date. DVC Members do not give up their DVC points until an exchange has been confirmed.

Deposit First

Using this method, you deposit points into the RCI exchange program for use at a later date. This is irreversible; in other words, those points cannot be converted back into DVC points. Using this method, DVC Members may place a request for an RCI Exchange into a RCI Member Resort that is affiliated with RCI Weeks with travel dates of up to 24 months in advance of the check-in date. DVC Members may place a request for an RCI Exchange into RCI Points and The Registry Collection Resorts for travel dates of up to 10 months in advance of the check-in date.

IMPORTANT POINTS

• Exchanging with RCI is final.
  • You should call as far in advance as possible, up to 2 years before your check-in date.
  • A non-refundable US $95 transaction fee applies for any confirmed exchange.
CANCELLATION POLICY

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCI_Cancellation.png

A modification to a reservation is considered a cancellation and rebooking. Any modification to a World Collection reservation requires an additional non-refundable $95 transaction fee. Transaction fees are non-refundable.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

I am by no means an expert on this, but there are many other DVC members who are more knowledgeable on this subject.

• Have you exchanged DVC points through RCI for another timeshare?
  • Was it a positive experience?
  • In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of using the RCI option through DVC?
  • Do you have any tips or recommendations for your fellow members?

Link to RCI Disclosure Guide

http://i235.*************************************Misc/RelatedThreads.png
http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

Mike, I've never exchanged DVC into RCI, but what do you mean "Exchanging with RCI is final?"

I know the deposit of points into RCI is an irreversible transaction, but in regular RCI exchanges, there are time periods where you can cancel and get all or some of your points back into your RCI account. You would then still be able to use those points until expiration.

With DVC, do you just lose the points entirely if you have to cancel?

Another thing that would be helpful is an accurate statement on the expiration date of DVC points deposited into RCI. With other timeshares, it's simple, two years. But I think DVC is, or used to be, slightly different. I don't remember the details, but they would be helpful.

I know the deposit of points into RCI is an irreversible transaction, but in regular RCI exchanges, there are time periods where you can cancel and get all or some of your points back into your RCI account. You would then still be able to use those points until expiration.

I added the cancellation policy to the post.

Mike, I've never exchanged DVC into RCI, but what do you mean "Exchanging with RCI is final?"

Another thing that would be helpful is an accurate statement on the expiration date of DVC points deposited into RCI. With other timeshares, it's simple, two years. But I think DVC is, or used to be, slightly different. I don't remember the details, but they would be helpful.
As I understand it, the 1 day cancelation and be whole policy that works like the exchange never happened that is available with direct RCI members and many corporate timeshares does not apply to DVC. The expiration is may actually be 2 years at the end of the year. We explored this on DIS last year and the final verdict seemed to be 2 yrs plus the rest of the time until 31 Dec to complete travel even though the wording strongly implies the next calendar year. Here is the wording for the RCI-DVC documentation which is slightly different. This is from the 2013 Audit, I don't yet have the 2014 Audit so it's possible the wording changed to what's on the website. If it did and it's now 1-2 yrs out instead of 2-3 yrs out, I would suspect it changed because of our previous discussion here and subsequent representation that someone actually got over 2 years from the date they deposited the points.
  1. Once an exchange request is submitted, it may be canceled only if notice of cancellation is received by DVC Member Services prior to Confirmation of the request. Once DVC Member Services issues a Confirmation it may only be cancelled by telephone through DVC Member Services. If a reservation is cancelled:
    1. 45 or more days before the check-in date, the full number of Vacation Points used for the reservation is returned into the Member’s RCI account. The DVC Member may request additional RCI exchanges, but the check-in date must occur by December 31st of the next year and an additional non-refundable $95 transaction fee must be paid.

2. Less than 45 days but more than 6 days before the check-in date, the full number of Vacation Points used for the reservation are returned into the Member’s RCI account, but may only be used for RCI exchanges occurring within 44 days to 24 hours prior to the new check-in date. The check-in date must occur by December 31st of the next year and an additional non-refundable $95 transaction fee must be paid.

3. 6 or less days before the check-in date, the exchange is forfeited and no Vacation Points are returned.

As a very longtime member, I detest that DVC changed from II to RCI. Sure there are some nice properties with RCI, but IMHO far fewer percentage wise than II had. One HUGE caveat for anyone looking to trade out a DVC week for an RCI property…….DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Very few of the RCI properties will be as nice as a DVC resort. Others may disagree but that is my opinion. I have only done ONE trade for another TS in 22 years as a member. And that was for a Westin in Hawaii when we had II.

One HUGE caveat for anyone looking to trade out a DVC week for an RCI property…….DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Very few of the RCI properties will be as nice as a DVC resort. Others may disagree but that is my opinion.
I think that's true with just about any timeshare exchange, regardless of which exchange company you're using. Virtually all timeshares offer more value when used within their own system. When you exchange, it's usually because either a) you messed up and had to deposit expiring points into the exchange company, or b) you want to go to a destination where your timeshare has nothing. Sometimes taking something less, but located where you want to go is worth it; sometimes not. The important thing, as you said, is to do your homework so you know what you're getting.

There are people who really know timeshares and to a LOT of exchanging, and even buy specific timeshares to use for exchanges. But most of us are not savvy enough to do that, or to keep up with the constantly changing options, relative trading values, etc, etc. And, if you were going to do that, you certainly would not use DVC as your exchange timeshare!

As a very longtime member, I detest that DVC changed from II to RCI. Sure there are some nice properties with RCI, but IMHO far fewer percentage wise than II had. One HUGE caveat for anyone looking to trade out a DVC week for an RCI property…….DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Very few of the RCI properties will be as nice as a DVC resort. Others may disagree but that is my opinion. I have only done ONE trade for another TS in 22 years as a member. And that was for a Westin in Hawaii when we had II.
I think it depends. On paper II does have more and better timeshares that most in the US would be interested in but that's largely because Marriott and Westin are in II. And RCI has more resorts so the % of top options are lower but the total number are comparable. When you step back and realize that the actual number of top exchanges truly available to those who don't have an inside tract (Marriott and Westin hold units for only their owners), it really becomes a far more level playing field. Add to that the fact that RCI is a better fit with the points product and that villas tend to come available further out with RCI (like 1-2 yrs instead of 1 yr), it was a reasonable move on DVD's part.

I agree with your points, JimMIA. I tend to buy what I want. That's why we added to our TS collection with a Marriott in Hawaii, a destination we love. But I do still think that II was a much better offering than what RCI has for us DVC members…..

Based on my calculations it just does not make financial sense to use you points anywhere but at a DVC resort. You are better off renting out your points and using the cash to book a room where you want to go. You can get far better deals at VRBO and other sites (often the resort directly) then using your DVC points through a trade.

Last edited:
A couple clarifications:
  1. Per RCI policy, you can cancel a Waitlist (Ongoing Search) match by end of next business day for full refund -- you have to call to cancel to get the refund and to make sure the points go back to your DVC account, not RCI (which is the default).
  2. Don't forget you can always deposit points to RCI - even past your banking window - and deposited points are good for a full 2 calendar years after your deposit, and can be extended indefinitely for $95/years (regardless of number of points). This makes RCI a great way to avoid losing your points altogether, if renting isn't an option due to timing/availability.

Per RCI policy, you can cancel a Waitlist (Ongoing Search) match by end of next business day for full refund -- you have to call to cancel to get the refund and to make sure the points go back to your DVC account, not RCI (which is the default).

At the very bottom of my post #1, I provided a link to the exchange rules, and I don't see any such language. Page 10 of the document specifies the cancellation policy. Once DVC issues a confirmation of an exchange, it says a cancellation at that point means you don't get your DVC points back - they are now in RCI.

Don't forget you can always deposit points to RCI - even past your banking window - and deposited points are good for a full 2 calendar years after your deposit, and can be extended indefinitely for $95/years (regardless of number of points). This makes RCI a great way to avoid losing your points altogether, if renting isn't an option due to timing/availability.

Where did you find the language about extending indefinitely?

A couple clarifications:
  1. Per RCI policy, you can cancel a Waitlist (Ongoing Search) match by end of next business day for full refund -- you have to call to cancel to get the refund and to make sure the points go back to your DVC account, not RCI (which is the default).
  2. Don't forget you can always deposit points to RCI - even past your banking window - and deposited points are good for a full 2 calendar years after your deposit, and can be extended indefinitely for $95/years (regardless of number of points). This makes RCI a great way to avoid losing your points altogether, if renting isn't an option due to timing/availability.
Neither of these apply to DVC from what I'm told. I've asked DVC about the cancelation policy and been told no. I presume you pulled these from the online information. The disclosure guide and terms of use at the bottom of the page are not particularly applicable to DVC members. We are not RCI members, DVD is and we simply tag along. Here is the cancelation information from the 2014 audit.

1. Once an exchange request is submitted, it may be canceled only if notice of cancellation is received by DVC Member Services prior to Confirmation of the request. Once DVC Member Services issues a Confirmation it may only be cancelled by telephone through DVC Member Services. If a reservation is cancelled:
    1. 45 or more days before the check-in date, the full number of Vacation Points used for the reservation is returned into the Member’s RCI account. The DVC Member may request additional RCI exchanges, but the check-in date must occur by December 31st of the next year and an additional non-refundable $95 transaction fee must be paid.

2. Less than 45 days but more than 6 days before the check-in date, the full number of Vacation Points used for the reservation are returned into the Member’s RCI account, but may only be used for RCI exchanges occurring within 44 days to 24 hours prior to the new check-in date. The check-in date must occur by December 31st of the next year and an additional non-refundable $95 transaction fee must be paid.

3. 6 or less days before the check-in date, the exchange is forfeited and no Vacation Points are returned.

At the very bottom of my post #1, I provided a link to the exchange rules, and I don't see any such language. Page 10 of the document specifies the cancellation policy. Once DVC issues a confirmation of an exchange, it says a cancellation at that point means you don't get your DVC points back - they are now in RCI.

Where did you find the language about extending indefinitely?
These are standard RCI terms. When you navigate to RCI from DVC, you acknowledge you are governed by their terms and policies (not DVC's):
DVC%20Website%20RCI%20Terms_zpsj4a3mox9.png

On the DVC RCI login page, there is a link to the terms, which you must explicitly accept every time you log in:
RCI%20Website%20DVC%20Terms_zpsbzgwvaj8.png

These RCI Terms of Use state cancellations are governed by the RCI Weeks or Points Disclosures:
DVC%20RCI%20Terms%20PDF_zpsxdkn5ek6.png

If you click on the Disclosure link referenced in the DVC Terms, there is Disclosure Guide link at the bottom of the page:
DVC%20RCI%20Discolsure_zpsa1rcnzlk.png

Following this link there is a link to RCI Points Disclosure (previously referenced in the RCI Terms of Use -- note DVC RCI account is a RCI Points account which has access to RCI Points and Weeks inventory). Within the RCI Points Disclosure in section 14. Cancellations there is the verbiage about cancelling within one business day for full refund of the transaction fee:
RCI%20Points%20Disclosure%20PDF%20-%20Cancellation_zpspaon7rmd.png

There is also reference to extending the points (although for only one year) for a fee:
RCI%20Points%20Disclosure%20PDF%20-%20Extending_zpswgqheqef.png

Note, while, DVC RCI website hides the link if you navigate directly to https://b2b.rci.com/points-account/DVC/details, you can see the Regular and Restricted Points deposited by "Use Year" (which is calendar year for RCI).

Keep in mind the DVC RCI link explicitly states that RCI's Terms apply, not DVC's, and you must explicitly accept RCI's Terms of Use, which in turn explicitly reference the RCI Points Disclosure. Now, that said, RCI's website has recently been updated with a different set of Disclosures specific to DVC (which are not explicitly referenced in the Terms of Use, which you can navigate to after accepting the terms by clicking Disclosure Guide at the bottom of the page (https://b2b.rci.com/static/docs/namer/en_US/DVCDisclosureGuideDVC.pdf). These terms make no reference to the ability to cancel within next business day or extend points.

In the past, there was no DVC specific Disclosures, so only the RCI Points Disclosures applied, which made this much clearer, although technically the Terms of Use still explicitly reference the RCI Points Disclosures both by name and by because they are the only Disclosures that are displayed when you follow the URL that is also explicitly referenced in the Terms of Use. I would also note, these are standard terms for all RCI Points or Weeks accounts, including other "corporate" RCI accounts (e.g. HGVC, whose policies also make no mention of the ability to get a refund within one business day, however I have done so several times).

That said, given the separate DVC Disclosure which remains mum on these terms, I would say there is solid YMMV when it comes to the terms of the RCI Points Disclosure applying to DVC RCI accounts. You may have to make the legal argument that the Terms that you accepted on their login page explicitly reference the RCI Points Disclosure which explicitly states you can cancel by next business day for a full refund of transaction fee, therefore legally they must honor these terms (until and unless they are updated to clarify that only DVC Disclosure applies).

Last edited:
These are standard RCI terms....
That said, given the separate DVC Disclosure which remains mum on these terms, I would say there is solid YMMV when it comes to the terms of the RCI Points Disclosure applying to DVC RCI accounts. You may have to make the legal argument that the Terms that you accepted on their login page explicitly reference the RCI Points Disclosure which explicitly states you can cancel by next business day for a full refund of transaction fee, therefore legally they must honor these terms (until and unless they are updated to clarify that only DVC Disclosure applies).

The DVC disclosure clearly states:

http://i235.*************************************CollAndRCI/RCIDVC.png

In other words, the DVC terms override whatever RCI terms apply to it's members.

This document is all that matters:
Link to RCI Disclosure Guide

RCI DISCLOSURE GUIDE

page1image920

DISNEY VACATION CLUB® MEMBER GETAWAYS

DISCLOSURE GUIDE TO THE RCI EXCHANGE PROGRAMS

Available from Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., through corporate participation in the RCI Exchange Programs.

This publication contains important information that explains the terms, conditions and use by Disney Vacation Club Members of the RCI Exchange Program operated by RCI, LLC and sets forth the RCI Member Resorts participating in such exchange programs. You should read this document prior to your purchase of an Ownership Interest.

Unless otherwise stated, the information contained in this publication is correct as of January 1, 2014.
  1. DVCMC maintains a corporate membership in the RCI Exchange Programs. Each DVC Member is allowed to participate in the RCI Exchange Programs by virtue of DVCMC’s corporate membership, without being individual RCI Members. There are no fees directly charged by RCI to DVC Members.
This is where I quoted the cancelation rules from. The one quoted here is the RCI points disclosure guide. I've previously been told by DVC directly in the past that this option is not applicable to DVC members. I'd love to be wrong but am pretty sure that's not the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter