• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! If book my stay and my bands are shipped to me, are they active when I recieve them? So, if we didn't check in to the WDW property until towards the end of the week, could we use our bands at the parks throughout the week.

Thanks! If book my stay and my bands are shipped to me, are they active when I recieve them? So, if we didn't check in to the WDW property until towards the end of the week, could we use our bands at the parks throughout the week.

yes

Thanks, but are you sure? Someone else just told me they activate them on check in

Lets step back a second..

A magicband is just an ID bracelet that identifies someone in MDE. That band will be active and functional. Now what the band will do depends on what is in MDE and active or not. In other words, tickets are separate with separate rules.. To open your resort door, it will not work for that until you get a room and will stop when you no longer have that room. If you purchased the room with a package deal that had tickets, those tickets will activate automatically on your check in date but you can also stop at guest relations (found at every park entrance) to activate them up to 10 days earlier. If you purchased a room only and purchased tickets separately, tickets will work right away... If you have fastpasses for any days, they will work right away..

It should appear pretty much right away as soon as you put a deposit or more down. Is the reservation showing up in your mde with resort details? Did you call up to book, you might need to link your confirmation number if it's not appearing.

Thanks for the help. I made my reservation on line and it shows up in MDE. But I had to make a change to our reservation this morning, shifting our dates by a day, and now the customize option shows up. So whatever the issue was, it got corrected when I edited our reservation.

If we book accomodation by buying DVC points, will we become eligible for free magicbands when our accomodation booking shows up in MDE? We plan on buying AP's but won't be able to activate them until we get to the resort and are coming from overseas.

If we book accomodation by buying DVC points, will we become eligible for free magicbands when our accommodation booking shows up in MDE? We plan on buying AP's but won't be able to activate them until we get to the resort and are coming from overseas.
Yes, DVC points reservations get free MagicBands. They will be set for resort pickup since they only mail them to US addresses, but you can still select colors and names.

This question may have been previously asked. I have $800 in Disney Gift Cards. Would it be better to apply them to my account (hence my magic band) when we check in or use them like money throughout the 7 days in the parks and resort? Thank you.

Has anyone swapped out their magic bands and purchased the one that you can attach to a a lanyard yet? Curious as to how you felt it worked - bonus points for pictures :)

This question may have been previously asked. I have $800 in Disney Gift Cards. Would it be better to apply them to my account (hence my magic band) when we check in or use them like money throughout the 7 days in the parks and resort? Thank you.

It's actually hard to get the resort to add them to your folio account. For room charges (which is what magicband charges are) disney doesn't run your credit card for each one. Values they charge you ever $1000, mods and deluxes I think it's $1500. What many do is they just periodically stop by the front desk to use gift cards to pay it off before they are charged and don't forget to stop the last night or overnight it will charge you the balance.

It's personal preference.

protip: go onto the https://www.disneygiftcard.com/ website and put in all your cards. You can transfer balances between cards but more importantly, disney will only process refunds to the same gift card used. That could be long after the trip and without the card you lost the money. with the website you'll be able to move the balance to the new card. Also if lost you can go onto the website immediately and move the value to a different card so someone can't find and use the card.

Has anyone swapped out their magic bands and purchased the one that you can attach to a a lanyard yet? Curious as to how you felt it worked - bonus points for pictures :)

there is pictures of it in this thread but too be honest, I couldn't tell you what page they are on anymore..

I use the keychain. It wasn't hard but the ring that holds them in is rather tight and can be rough to click into the accessory.. just take your time and you'll do fine. It comes with screws and a screwdriver so it's not a do it while standing really fast so you'll want to find a table or somethign to sit at to do it. I"m so much happier as I hate things on my wrist.

there is pictures of it in this thread but too be honest, I couldn't tell you what page they are on anymore..

I use the keychain. It wasn't hard but the ring that holds them in is rather tight and can be rough to click into the accessory.. just take your time and you'll do fine. It comes with screws and a screwdriver so it's not a do it while standing really fast so you'll want to find a table or somethign to sit at to do it. I"m so much happier as I hate things on my wrist.

was hoping to get it on a lanyard for DD. I think she'll be more comfortable with it around her neck v. wrist. :)

It's actually hard to get the resort to add them to your folio account. For room charges (which is what magicband charges are) disney doesn't run your credit card for each one. Values they charge you ever $1000, mods and deluxes I think it's $1500. What many do is they just periodically stop by the front desk to use gift cards to pay it off before they are charged and don't forget to stop the last night or overnight it will charge you the balance.

It's personal preference.

protip: go onto the https://www.disneygiftcard.com/ website and put in all your cards. You can transfer balances between cards but more importantly, disney will only process refunds to the same gift card used. That could be long after the trip and without the card you lost the money. with the website you'll be able to move the balance to the new card. Also if lost you can go onto the website immediately and move the value to a different card so someone can't find and use the card.
Thank you. I think I am going to move all the balances to one card (so I only have one to track the entire trip)

was hoping to get it on a lanyard for DD. I think she'll be more comfortable with it around her neck v. wrist. :)

they don't sell one, you would need to take one of the 3 keychain designs (mickey head, minnie head or generic with carabeener that can be removed) and add it to a lanyard on your own.

side note as a parent and someone with professional experience at music festivals: lanyards are really easy to get caught, anything that disney sells has a weak breakaway point so if it were to get caught it breaks off your neck and can't seriously injure anyone. It's something to consider.

Thank you. I think I am going to move all the balances to one card (so I only have one to track the entire trip)

you might want to consider what happens if that card gets lost. combining them all to make a payment with disney 1 thing.. walking around with a single card with all your vacation budget is another. I personally like keeping 1 or 2 locked up in the room and just move over a reasonable amount of money to carry on a card with me. If I find a larger purchase I can go online with my phone to move over more on the spot.

Just saying, treat it like cash as that is what it is.

they don't sell one, you would need to take one of the 3 keychain designs (mickey head, minnie head or generic with carabeener that can be removed) and add it to a lanyard on your own.

side note as a parent and someone with professional experience at music festivals: lanyards are really easy to get caught, anything that disney sells has a weak breakaway point so if it were to get caught it breaks off your neck and can't seriously injure anyone. It's something to consider.

Ohh I thought it was sold but good point about the breakaway point. Will have to look more into it thanks!

Hi there,

I read through all the FAQs and didn't see this question/answer.

Four of us are going to EPCOT. We each got a FP for Mission Space between 1000-1100. My husband doesn't want to ride, so we want to let DD & her her boyfriend use our FPs to go on MS twice within the FP window.

Do we need to give them our magic bands for the second go-round within that hour or will those two extra FPs be available on their own bands?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I read through all the FAQs and didn't see this question/answer.

Four of us are going to EPCOT. We each got a FP for Mission Space between 1000-1100. My husband doesn't want to ride, so we want to let DD & her her boyfriend use our FPs to go on MS twice within the FP window.

Do we need to give them our magic bands for the second go-round within that hour or will those two extra FPs be available on their own bands?

Thanks!

Yes, you will need to give them your MBs for the second ride.

If we book accomodation by buying DVC points, will we become eligible for free magicbands when our accomodation booking shows up in MDE? We plan on buying AP's but won't be able to activate them until we get to the resort and are coming from overseas.

Just an FYI - DVC reservations do not just show up in MDE, you have to manually link them once you have the reservation number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter