"Everyone! Come see how handsome I am!" **FINISHED** 2/17

The ride from the CSR to the Animal Kingdom is super quick. It seemed like less than ten minutes before the bus driver was straightening the ramp and sending Danny down it on his scooter. It wasn't quite the same as seeing the train station and going under the tracks into to hub of the Magic Kingdom, but I was Beyond Thrilled to see the gates of a Disney World park!

20121206disney120034.jpg

Danny wanted me to take this picture of the sign so we stopped for a split second while I did. Hannah was still kind of cranky and didnt want to slow down even that much. Impatience with me taking photos happened a lot on this trip. I still managed to take a lot of pictures, but truly not nearly as many as I wanted or had hoped to. Next trip, right? Thats why you always have to be planning a next trip. One of my Disney fantasies is to go by myself some time so I can go slow and take as many pictures as I want!

In the rush to leave the room, I had forgotten my PhotoPass+ voucher, but I knew I could add regular photopass pix to my account, so we picked one up and had our first photo taken outside the gate at the big Christmas tree. (Is that tree there all year and just not decorated or is it just an empty space most of the year?)

Photo0006.jpg

We took our first turn through the turnstiles and headed to the left.

We just kind of glanced at the animals on display along the walk. The fences are high enough that Danny couldnt see without getting off his scooter and after he looked at these birds, he was ready to skip the rest.

20121206disney120035.jpg

There was a Photopass guy there on the bridge, so I suggested we post for another shot.
Photo0017.jpg

And then there was the tree.

20121206disney120044.jpg

I dont think you can really appreciate that tree until you see it. I know I didnt. I had read all about it, watched all about it on Disney shows and even had my brother rant on about its wonder. I thought Yeah I get it, its a giant tree. But then when I saw it and walked all around it I realized I really hadn't gotten It. its truly amazing.

20121206disney120046.jpg

We got Danny to pull up in front of it and Hannah spent a while pointing things out and telling him how it was made. I just stood there and took in the beauty of the Animal Kingdom. We never did find the time to walk the paths and get a great close up look of the carvings, but we did stand at a distance many times naming all the animals we could pick out. Next time.

Ill say here I do not understand the AK is a half day park crowd. I think its a multi day park! There is so much to see there! Everything is so beautiful and incredibly themed. Its a great place to meet characters, and Dinosaur is one of my top 3 rides. I dont even watch the shows or ride EE, and I can easily stay from rope drop to close without getting bored.

/soapbox

We headed on, torn between going slow to take it all in and rushing to get in line for our first ride. We probably alternated between each.

Next up: Our First Ride

I’ll say here I do not understand the AK is a half day park crowd. I think it’s a multi day park! There is so much to see there! Everything is so beautiful and incredibly themed. It’s a great place to meet characters, and Dinosaur is one of my top 3 rides. I don’t even watch the shows or ride EE, and I can easily stay from rope drop to close without getting bored.

/soapbox

Next up: Our First Ride

I'm slowly coming around to liking AK more. I think I'm ambivalent because I feel like for a new, planned park they laid it out really awkwardly. And the uneven pavement is killer for anyone with foot/ankle issues.

But... I'm coming around. Slowly, but I'm coming around. Mom and I had one of our best moments at AK at the Nemo show, so it's growing on me.

A bit. ;)

Of course our first destination was the Kilimanjaro Safari. I love that ride! Im an animal lover in general, so there's that part. Plus its different every time you ride! Its like a big mystery to see what the animals are up to when you drive past. Plus this time I had a new awesome camera (a Nikon d5100) and I was excited to use it.

So get ready for too many photos.

20121206disney120051.jpg

The wait time was only 10 minutes which was fantastic. It was our first time through a line with a scooter. The CM at the front pointed us through the regular line and we walked/drove quickly through most of the queue space. When we got to the part where you park your stroller, D got all anxious and tried to head in. He was really concerned about being a good scooter driver. He was instructed to keep going and someone when let him know when he got to the right spot. Throughout the trip Danny was so worried about not being a bother with his scooter, that he often stressed himself out. But in the end, it all went so smoothly he could have really relaxed. The CMs were always right there to direct him, incredibly friendly and always helpful.

We eventually got to the chair parking spot and a CM opened the gate and led us to a waiting spot. There was one other couple waiting there, so of course we struck up a conversation.

Something I love about being at Disney World (and oh, there are so many) is making Disney friends. If theyre in the mood for chatting, theyre generally happy and having a good time which makes any conversation better. Plus you have this giant thing in common - Disney Love. You talk about where youre from or what youre doing - maybe what you just did or what youre going to do next. Even when youre complaining about the last time you got stuck on the monorail or the ride that just broke down, its fun because youre all at Disney. Sometimes the friendship only lasts 5 minutes while you wait in line, sometimes it can carry on for quite a while. However it works out, I love Disney friends!

So this was our first set of Disney friends - a man in a scooter and his wife. We told them it was our first time and they were full of tips on how to manage the parks. We were super grateful. They also let us know how affordable it is to buy one for yourself. The man had one at home and insurance had covered the full price. They come apart easily and are light enough the lady could load it in the trunk of their car all by herself. D talked about all the things he doesnt do around our town because they involve too much walking and mused about checking into it when we got home.

20121206disney120057.jpg

After a bit, a vehicle pulled up for us and they loaded us into the back row. We had to wait quite a while for enough chair people to show up and load, but eventually we were full and headed out for a two week (but wait! we only had an 8 day pass!) safari.

20121206disney120086.jpg

First up, a hippo, hiding under the water.

20121206disney120094.jpg

Dig the scary birds! And the hippo not hiding. I love it when they're out walking about.

20121206disney120106.jpg

20121206disney120114.jpg

Our driver told us how much he loved the view of the savannah. I thought it was pretty nice as well.

20121206disney120126.jpg

20121206disney120132.jpg

The giraffes were out enjoying a mid morning snack.

20121206disney120137.jpg

20121206disney120145.jpg

The Mandrills were enjoying some social time.

20121206disney120151.jpg

The big male elephant was on his own, as usual.

20121206disney120162.jpg

I love the Boabob trees. And I love elephants the most. So here come too many pictures of them enjoying their day at the Animal Kingdom.

20121206disney120181.jpg

20121206disney120183.jpg

The momma and her baby!

20121206disney120189.jpg

20121206disney120192.jpg

20121206disney120194.jpg

20121206disney120196.jpg

Just past the elephants, we saw the very pink, very pretty flamingos.

20121206disney120201.jpg

And around the corner, one more shot of the elephants! In case you didn't get enough.

20121206disney120232.jpg

These guys were close enough to our bus I thought they might try to board. And close enough to the lions it kind of seemed like a big tease. The lions did not seem bothered. (Like Lauren Conrad/Catherine Tate. Does anyone get that reference?)

20121206disney120239.jpg

Look! There are two of them!

20121206disney120242.jpg

20121206disney120248.jpg

20121206disney120254.jpg

And last (but not least), the new zebras. They seem to have made themselves quite at home.

Of course our safari was cut short after that. Before we knew it we were back at the platform full of scooters and wheel chairs. We said goodbye to our driver, Danny climbed back in his scooter and we headed out, discussing what adventure we were ready for next.

Next up: Dinosaur, Dug and a Mickey Bar

I love the pictures! There are quite a few that stand out to me - great great photos. I can't wait for the day I can put a little more into my pics - I'm usually trying to snap a few before I'm chasing down a child!

I'm in!

Great pictures of the safari! It's always fun when the animals get thisclosetoyourvehicle! :hyper:

I'm glad you liked CSR! We're trying it for the first time this May, so I'm happy to keep reading postive reviews. :thumbsup2

I'm slowly coming around to liking AK more. I think I'm ambivalent because I feel like for a new, planned park they laid it out really awkwardly. And the uneven pavement is killer for anyone with foot/ankle issues.

But... I'm coming around. Slowly, but I'm coming around. Mom and I had one of our best moments at AK at the Nemo show, so it's growing on me.

A bit. ;)

That's excellent, I'm glad to hear it! :cheer2:
You have a point about the lay out I think. I've spent a lot of time there and still can't always remember what is where or how to get where I want. And I understand about the uneven pavement! I've heard it's especially bad for people in wheelchairs. Luckily for Danny he was able to zoom about on his scooter just fine.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea over there, but I really love it. I hope you'll have some more great experiences there on your next trip!

Only 316 days until the next trip... I am plotting and scheming all sorts of fun stuff! Until then I have to get my fix with your trip report!

I love the pictures! There are quite a few that stand out to me - great great photos. I can't wait for the day I can put a little more into my pics - I'm usually trying to snap a few before I'm chasing down a child!

Thank you so, so much! :blush: I really appreciate that.
And I know what you mean about trying to take pictures and be the mom at the same time. My kid is 19 and I still have troubles trying to get her to slow down so I can get a shot! Good luck!

I'm in!

Great pictures of the safari! It's always fun when the animals get thisclosetoyourvehicle! :hyper:

I'm glad you liked CSR! We're trying it for the first time this May, so I'm happy to keep reading postive reviews. :thumbsup2

Thank you! And Welcome pixiedust:

Even though I had done the safari ride several times on our last trip, this was the first time any animal had gotten up close and personal. It happened again later in the trip and I agree - super exciting! The way the ride changes every time makes me want to just ride it over and over again.

Like I've said, we did not give CSR the attention it deserved, but we loved it and definitely look forward to staying there again. I think you'll be glad you stayed there!

I'm enjoying your TR! We were just at WDW 1/4-1/10 and stayed at CSR for part of the trip. We loooovve CSR!! The pool is our favorite! You must go back and stay there- DH and I love the pool slide! We're just a couple of kids at heart!

Looking forward to your next adventure!:thumbsup2

We talked about walking through the jungle trek or jumping on EE, but decided on Dinosaur! Hannah and I had been talking it up for months so Danny was anxious to check it out and of course H and I were ready. Its one of my top 3 rides so Im always ready to line up for that journey back in time.

It must have been just after 3 because we ran right into the Jingle Jungle parade. There was enough of a crowd gathered around that Danny couldnt really see, so he stayed back enough that he could get a view of the tops of the floats while H and I found a spot where we could see a bit through the crowd. We watched for a few minutes (and I snapped some photos), and then we were off.

20121206disney120272.jpg

20121206disney120284.jpg

It was a beautiful walk and we were happy to find, again, that the wait time was blessedly short. We headed into the standby line. There wasn't much of it and soon we were inside the main room.

20121206disney120288.jpg

20121206disney120290.jpg

I dont remember what Hannah was explaining to Danny at this point, but she was apparently pretty serious about it.

We took in the sights of the round room that Mrs Crosby calls quaint, and reminisced about the time we took a very young Hannah to see Sue, the giant dino they have in the middle of the room.

20121206disney120289.jpg

20121206disney120295.jpg

It's not so easy to take a picture of the movie, but here's my try.

When we got to the front of the line, the friendly CM who had been sending everyone to the right and down the stairs sent us to the left. She put us in an elevator, pushed a button and told us there would be someone to guide us when we got out. She was right. Another CM asked if Danny could transfer to the vehicle and had us wait near the cars on the opposite side of the people who had taken the stairs.

As you probably know, Dinosaur is a rough ride and we were a little worried it might be too jarring for Danny and might hurt his back. He was determined to give it a try though, so after we buckled in and tugged on our straps, we were off.

It was as much fun as I remembered. All the bounces and turns seemed wild that first ride of the trip, and every time Hannah or I screamed I could hear Danny laughing. Awesome. Of course the scary dino scared me and I remember shouting Abort! Abort! along with the crazy scientist who had sent us on this mission in the first place.

We passed up the ride photo since I didnt have my Plus card yet and I didnt realize I could have written down the number and claimed it when we got back, so I did the redneck version like everyone else. I love this picture so I'm sad I didn't get a real one. We're in the back.

20121206disney120299.jpg

20121206disney120300.jpg

We headed out happy and found Dannys scooter waiting for us. As we were headed away, one of Dannys friends called and like any good Disney fan, he said Im at Disney World, Ill call you when I get home!

20121206disney120305.jpg

We never entered this carnival/sideshow/whatever area, but I did kind of love this giant dino watching over it all.

He was really loving the mobility the scooter gave him at this point. Instead of struggling along and needing to stop after every block, he was mobile! There was no one around us, so he rushed off down the road in front of us and then circled back. He was like a kid in a candy store (or a kid at Disney World!). He saw a bird on the path and decided to chase after it. A couple minutes later he saw some kids doing the same thing and stopped to tell them that wasnt very nice. Hah! Hannah cracked up and that became one of her favorite moments of the trip. It really is the memories and the special moments that make a Disney vacation so fantastic.

We werent sure what to do next. Hannah wasnt in a big hurry to ride EE. We didnt want to see a show and nothing else was really close, so when we spotted an ice cream cart we decided to sit down and talk over our options with a treat!

20121206disney120306.jpg

Danny just wanted a Diet Coke, but H and I decided we really needed to share a Mickey bar. Oh my goodness! Now I understand why people love those things so much. The chocolate was so thick and delicious. The ice cream was so dense and creamy! We were in love.

This is when I started to hate the My Disney Experience app. First it could not figure out where we were at all. When I found it myself, I could see all the drawings of the buildings around us from a birds eye view, but none of them were labeled in any way and therefore completely unhelpful. I could touch them to see the label, but it was so slow that was taking forever. I just wanted a quick overview and longingly remembered an app we had in 2010 on the iPhone that showed the map, the labels, and the wait time all in one glance (sadly I dont remember its name). I was grateful Danny had thought to pick up an old fashioned paper map and we consulted it to find our way to meet our favorite Disney dog, Dug!

I still managed to get a little confused and we walked in a little circle before finding our way. We took our time to enjoy the amazing scenery that makes the AK so special.

20121206disney120311.jpg

20121206disney120314.jpg

20121206disney120315.jpg

I seriously love Dug, so I was so excited to meet him for the first time. This is me waiting to meet him.

20121206disney120317.jpg

There was a bit of a line - mostly little kids of course - but I did not mind waiting at all. I did mind a little that Dug and Russell did not have a Photopass photographer though. Whats up with characters without Photopass photographers? I thought that was the whole point of photopass. Luckily Hannah does not like to meet or have her photo taken with characters, so I handed the camera over to her. When it was our turn I went up first to tell Dug what a good dog he was and give him a scratch behind the ear.

20121206disney120319.jpg

Dug, signing some lucky kid's autograph book.

20121206disney120322.jpg

My pants are rolled up because it was so hot that day.

20121206disney120323.jpg

I felt a little bad for kind of ignoring Russell, but theres just no competition there.

After a minute or two, Danny came up to join us. I was pleased he enjoyed meeting characters almost as much as I did!

20121206disney120324.jpg

We said goodbye to the best dog in the AK and started walking/riding. At that point it was getting late and the sun was starting to set. We were nearing the front of the park and we figured it was a good time to head over to Epcot and beat the crowds at closing time.

20121206disney120328.jpg

As we were leaving a huge flock of birds flew over our heads. This picture fails to capture the moment but we all (and everyone around us) stopped in our tracks to stand still and watch.

We headed for the bus stops and found the queue for the Epcot bus. When it came we werent exactly sure we were doing the whole scooter on a bus thing right, but the driver (who had CP himself) was super helpful and taught us the ins and outs of waiting and loading. In just a few minutes, we were off to Dannys favorite park - the Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow!

Next: After dark at Epcot.

So happy to hear about your experiences. Love that Danny was having so much fun on his scooter, especially the part about him chasing the bird. :rotfl2:

Great pictures. I just love AK, the rides and just the whole park itself. Hopefully we can meet Dug and Russell when we go next year. They didn't have them when we were there in 2011. :)

It was dark by the time we got to Epcot. We got off the bus and started the long, long walk to the entrance. Why is it so far from the bus stops to the the good part of Epcot? And is it really or does it just seem that way? We were bagless (I love it when we can go bagless!) so once we made it to the entrance we waltzed right in.

Photo0039.jpg

Of course I had us stop for a family photo in front of the giant golf ball of love!!

20121206disney120330.jpg

I had to snap this shot of the excellent Thumper and Flower topiaries as we were still on the way to the good part. Bambi is one of my favorite Disney movies, and Ive loved those two since I was a tiny girl.
Thumper with his If you cant say something nice, dont say nothin at all and Flower with He can call me flower, if he wants ta. Love them

I can not believe I didnt take a thousand shots of Spaceship Earth up close. I love the ball and I love the ride. I think seeing it for the first time is almost as good as your first glance at the castle in the Magic Kingdom!

20121206_181324.jpg

I just took this one.

20121206disney120334.jpg

There wasnt much of a line so we decided to ride it right then. We tried to get in the regular line but they sent us around to the wheelchair entrance at the side of the building.

Someone met us at the door and led us to an area by the rides exit. We parked the scooter and had a seat with some other people while we waited for another CM to come fetch us. When he came, he led us up the exit ramp and to another waiting area where we stood until we were instructed to climb in a car. Danny and I sat in the front seat and Hannah hopped in the back.

The ride was fantastic as always. I love history and this ride is chuck full of it. Hannah thought she hated it but decided it wasnt as bad as she remembered. What she really hates is the cheesy video of your future at the end, but since she was riding in the back by herself she just skipped it. Since Id done it several times (I like it) on our last trip, I let Danny make all the decisions. I wasnt surprised that he chose pretty much the opposite of what I would.

20121206_184344.jpg

Us in our car of the future.

20121206_184357.jpg

Im just watching because I hate playing checkers.

20121206_184421.jpg

Us floating in space.

We were hungry again at this point, so we walked towards the World Showcase where they keep all the best Disney food. I was trying to take in all the lovely sights of Disney after dark, but sadly no one else wanted to go slowly enough for me to take pictures!

20121206disney120337.jpg

This is the best shot I got of the amazingly dancing fountains of another color.

20121206disney120341.jpg

Danny wanted Mexican food, so we stopped at the Cantina de San Angel. It was crazy crowded so I left Danny and Hannah and got in line to grab some tacos. It was a crazy line and took quite a while. I headed back and carried his tray as we walked further around the world looking for more food. We had decided to each get what we wanted and find a central table somewhere to eat it all together.

I knew what I wanted, but Hannah wasnt sure. Probably because I had spent crazy amounts of time reading menus online and she had not. She thought she might want something Asian at first but then decided since she could get that at home all the time she wanted to try something new. I pulled out my phone and read her a list of which countries had what. She chose crepes from France.

I had been headed to Morocco. I wanted to eat at the Tangerine Cafe on our last trip but didnt get the chance so this time I was determined. We walked up and Danny settled at a table outside with his tray of tacos. Hannah headed over to France and I headed inside.

The line was pretty long. I had plenty of time to make up my mind, but already knew I was going to order the Chicken Shawarma platter. I had thought of it every time I played Sims 3 and had my Sim make herself the shawarma, and every time I thought over the Disney food. I aked them to hold the tabouleh and double the hummus which was no problem. While I was standing there I decided to go wild and add on a side of olives because why not! Finally they made my food, I paid them their money but then I still had to stand there and wait for my drink - which was sitting there waiting for someone to hand it to me. Eventually I asked for it and headed to my table and my family.

By the time I got there, Hannah had not only gotten her crepes but she and Danny were both finished eating. Hannah wanted to go back to our room right then for some reason so we let her, with strict instructions to text us when she made it there. Danny told me to take my time, so I did.

20121206disney120345.jpg

It was so, so good. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite. Its a lot of food though and I couldnt quite finish all the olives. I went back inside to see if I could get a lid but they put them in a drink cup instead. Fine by me. (I put them in the fridge that night and never did finish them :worried:.)

Danny and I walked the rest of the way around the world and back through Future World.

20121206disney120346.jpg

I took this picture of Pluto and his house,

Photo0051.jpg

and we posed for another photopass picture.

Epcot was closing at 9:30 that night and it was 8:30 when we were walking out. Not bad considering Id woken up far before the break of dawn! Hannah texted us when we were on the bus - she made it back to the resort slightly before we did.

When I learned wed be staying at CSR, of course I checked it out online. It looked beautiful, but my favorite part was probably this long fountain somewhere between two buildings. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that fountain was right outside the door to our room (well, and down a floor)!!

20121206disney120349.jpg

It was beautiful, especially at night. Every night I swore I was going to go down and take many photos of it the next day -- but sadly I never did. This is the best I ever got.

Back in our room, we unpacked and got ready for bed.

20121206disney120355.jpg

We turned the table between our beds into our charging station.

I turned Stacey onto the TV (hooray!) and let her tell us all about the magic of Disney until we were ready to turn everything off and sleep until our 6am wake up call.

Next up: The start of a Fantastic day!

i just finished an awesome dinner.. and this made me hungry for Disney food! :rotfl2:

We loooovve CSR!! The pool is our favorite! You must go back and stay there

First - Welcome pixiedust: and thanks for joining in and saying hi!

I so hope we do get to stay there again! And I can't believe we didn't try the pool. We've been to Chichen Itza in Mexico and were all excited to compare and reminisce. The main problem with Disney World is that there is so much to do. I think I need to go there and stay for a month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter