Every Mile is a Miracle

Happy Monday! I had an incredible weekend and as much as I didn't want it to end, I am not bumming out this Monday and that's a plus!

Saturday: I woke up early after staying up late waiting for my husband to get off work. We had plans to leave for our weekend getaway around 8am, so I knew I had to get my run in early regardless of how late I stayed up.
giphy (13).gif

So I got my 2 miles in on my hilly path around my house. I decided to slow my runs down for the month, so I sit at around an 11:00/mile pace. I am working on filling out my @DopeyBadger questionnaire for my training plan but I felt much more overwhelmed by his questions than I thought I would. Haha. Until then, I am just chugging along like I always have.
We got to Flagstaff in record time, which was just because I thought that the drive was longer than it actually is. Everyone was hungry, so we found food. Anyone surprised that I picked pizza and wine? Didn't think so.
IMG_1579.jpg

Our friend's who we went on this trip with suggested renting a VRBO, so they found us this amazing townhouse that had a great cabin vibe to it located on a golf course. It was adorable. There was a fireplace and the kids all got to sleep on a bunk bed. It was much better than a hotel room, that's for sure. I had been really good all week and didn't drink until Saturday. Once the kids were all in bed we downloaded the game Heads Up and drank and played and laughed. It was really fun.

Sunday: I, fortunately/unfortunately, drank an entire bottle of Rose Bubbles by myself plus a little whiskey. I knew I wanted to wake up Sunday morning and get my run in before we headed to the North Pole to see Santa because a) I can't break my streak and b) it's GORGEOUS up there, but I woke up with a killer headache. Oops. BUT I am happy to say that I forced myself out of the house and said "self, just go get your one mile in and come back." So I donned my running gear, took some advil, tried to eat a clif bar, wanted to vomit, and left the house. At right around the half mile mark, just when I was going to turn around, I see some water up ahead. I say "okay, I will run to this pond and head back." Miraculously, my headache starts to go away and I start feeling good. The pond had a a path around it, so on I went. I ran around it twice and went back home. I got in the 3 miles that I wanted to get in before I had a hangover and I felt AMAZING afterwards. Thank you running!
IMG_1639.PNG IMG_1590.JPG

Then we headed off to the North Pole to see Santa and this place was so cool! The kids all went through Elf university and became honorary Elfs and also got to meet Santa. Well worth the money and the trip. We all wore PJs and the kid's all had matching ones. It was a blast. We just wish that it was snowing!
IMG_1620.JPG

Monday: I set my alarm early because I thought I was going to go to the gym, but I feel like my body needed more sleep than I was going to give it so I snoozed. I still got my one mile in this morning and that's all I really wanted to do. I am down 3 pounds from last week and I am sure that is due to the not drinking. I need to figure out the rest of my runs for the month to ensure that I am going to hit my mileage goal plus I want to be ready for the RNR AZ Half next month. I am also going to get my bike fixed this week! Woo!

Awesome PJ photo!! Sometimes listening to our bodies and hitting the snooze is the best thing we can do for ourselves.

I got some sad news last night that one of my best friend's in high school passed away this weekend. I haven't seen her in a few years, we went our own separate ways after high school and she got into some trouble and went down a bad path. I'm now a full of regret as we have just moved back into our hometown where I know she was living but I didn't try to reach out to her. I am flooded with emotions that I can't control or even understand. :(

I snoozed again today. :faint: My bed is just so warm and my kid likes to come in every freaking night and ask to be tucked back in and and and.... But whatever. I wanted to go to the gym and spin/run, but since I snoozed I did my 2 mile loop around my house. It was so cold and windy that my teeth were chattering at the start. I am not ready for winter.

How is it only Tuesday?

How is it only Tuesday?
Right?

I am so to hear about the loss. Sometimes snoozing is what's in order. Kudos for getting out there in the cold. I have been a wimp lately and have moved indoors to the treadmill, which even included a 20 miler. Not sure if it was more a work out for me or the treadmill. Hope your days get better and warmer.

I have been a wimp lately and have moved indoors to the treadmill, which even included a 20 miler.
I am uncertain I could do 20 miles on a treadmill. But, you know, I haven't tried. Haha.

This morning I drug my husband out to the gym with me and we did a quick 20 minute spin class together, followed by a slow and easy 1 mile run. I received my DB training plan and I am beyond excited for it. (Let's see how long that lasts, haha.) I like that I am getting a head start on my 2018 goals though.

I'm sorry about the loss of your HS friend. Seems that a cozy day was definitely in order.

I'm betting you stay pretty excited about that db plan... I've found mine to be full of new accomplishments that I end up feeling really proud of, even if I dreaded them before I started them.

I'm betting you stay pretty excited about that db plan... I've found mine to be full of new accomplishments that I end up feeling really proud of, even if I dreaded them before I started them.
My favorite parts so far are analyzing how I am going to manage my long runs on weekends we are traveling. I have a 12 mile run scheduled when we are up in Sonoma and that is going to be amazing, I am sure of it!

I am uncertain I could do 20 miles on a treadmill
Dear God that sounds hellacious!

Very sorry for your loss, even if you weren't close it still always touches a nerve, especially if they are young (which I am classifying as anyone under 50).

Although my DB Plan technically started on Tuesday, I had already ran that day when I got my plan so I didn't do what was on the schedule, so today was my first *official* start day and it started with intervals! (Which I love.)
Plan: 1 mile WU @ 13:09 // 4 x .5 mile @ T Pace 9:35 w/ 1 min RI @ WU // 1 mile CD @ 13:09 = 4.3 miles @ 49:25
Actual: 1 mile WU @ 13:02 // 4 x .5 mile @ T Pace 9:31 w/ 1 min RI @ WU // 1 mile CD @ 13:02 = 4.33 miles @ 49:25
I had to adjust my pace because I was on a treadmill and I opted for lower vs higher because it was the smaller difference. It felt really good. It's funny how slow and fast you can feel all in one workout. I did some stretching afterwards, which I don't usually do (I know, I know), and my legs have definitely been thankful for that today.

Shoutout to @roxymama for mentioning that there is workout Christmas music in existence. I have had so much fun running to my favorite holiday jams.

Weekend Report!
Friday 12/8 - Run Streak 1 Miler
Saturday 12/9 - W1DBP 3 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 12/10 - W1DBP 4 Miles @ LR 11:11

This weekend we had plans to go to Vegas to visit my parents and go to a going away party for some friends who are moving to Portland. That means I spent my Friday planning my running route around my parents new house to make sure I got my LR in and also it meant that I didn't drink *too* much at our friend's going away party! Check, check!

Friday: I am still trying to keep my Run Streak alive for the month even though I started the DBP. So I still get in my morning mile in on my off days. So far, so good. I am not trying to be fast at these, but my route is up a hill, so it's not like I can go that fast anyway.
Distance - 1.07 miles
Avg Pace - 11:09

Friday night, I went over to a friend's house because we were both having terrible Fridays. We shared a few beers and had some pizza while our kids played. My husband was working and got in late, but I tried to stay up and wait for him (dumb idea). I got an awful night's sleep. Boo.

Saturday: Despite staying up late and sleeping poorly, I got up when my alarm went off and donned my running gear. I have been trying to scout out all my run paths for the coming up weeks in order to a) accomodate my mileage and b) not get bored. So I was planning on going to run around the island, but it took me a little bit longer to get out of the house than planned, so I had to choose a different route. One that isn't as flat as what I was going to be on, so I had to mentally prepare for that. This was my first run that I had to try to stick to a certain pace and I didn't realize how hard that was going to be.
Plan: 3 Miles @ EB 11:34 (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 3.05 Miles @ 11:32 average
Splits: 11:09 (downhill), 11:59 (uphill), 11:32 (flat)

After my run, we went to a breakfast at my kid's school, which looked like a total flop for the school but she had fun. They had pancakes, crafts, and Santa -- every 5 year old's dream Saturday morning in December. Then we headed to Vegas and immediately went to Chick-Fil-A. (It's my Vegas guilty pleasure.) The rest of our evening was filled with delicious barrel-aged beers and then pizza.

Sunday: I was smart enough to stop drinking beer and start drinking water (partly because the tap list at the pizza place we went to wasn't anything amazing, so I didn't want to drink just to drink) so when I woke up on Sunday I felt great and was ready to go run! This route was relatively flat and I found that constantly worrying about whether I was maintaining my pace actually makes the miles go by faster. I did pretty well this time, but noticed I like to go faster when I start feeling good. Oops.
Plan: 4 Miles @ LR 11:11 (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 4.07 Miles @ 11:05 average
Splits: 11:11, 10:39, 11:13, 11:13

We went to see Santa (again, and hopefully for the last time this year, omg, we are at #4) because this is the Santa we see every year. Although he has changed a few times, I just really like this location. It's a Norman Rockwell themed house and the Santa's are always really great. And now we have our Christmas card photo. Woo!
IMG_1737.jpg IMG_1738.jpg

Upcoming Training Schedule:
Monday 12/11 - Run Streak 1 Miler (day 13)
Tuesday 12/12 - W2DBP 4 Miles @ EA 12:23 + Strides!
Wednesday 12/13 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 15)
Thursday 12/14 - W2DBP 1 Mile @ WU 13:09 // .5 Mile @ T Pace 9:35 + 1 min Rest // 1 Mile @ T Pace 9:35 + 2 min Rest // .5 Mile @ T Pace 9:35 + 1 Mile @ CD 13:09
Friday 12/15 - Gym & Run Streak 1 Miler (day 17)
Saturday 12/16 - W2DBP 4 Miles @ EB 11:34
Sunday 12/17 - W2DBP 6 Miles @ LR 11:11

Question about Strides -- has anyone done them on a treadmill and is that a lot harder than doing them outdoors?

Last edited:
Plan: 3 Miles @ EB 11:34 (+/- 10 seconds)
Actual: 3.05 Miles @ 11:32 average
Splits: 11:09 (downhill), 11:59 (uphill), 11:32 (flat)

Looks great. Remember while I give a pace window, effort wins the day. So this is a prime example. While you had only 1/3 actually in window, I'd bet you'd say the downhill and uphill felt more like 11:32. That's the key part. It's ok to be slightly fast and slightly slow on some miles as long as you still feel the effort was the same throughout.

Question about Strides -- has anyone done them on a treadmill and is that a lot harder than doing them outdoors?

I'd skip it. Strides are such a brief burst of speed that I'm not sure I'd recommend doing them on the treadmill. They serve a fairly minimal benefit, so don't feel like you're missing anything if you have to skip it on a treadmill. There is no pace associated with the strides rather just a short uptick and downtick in pace.

Awesome that you are keeping your run streak even on rest days, not sure I could do that. I take my rest days seriously lately with Dopey training. The Christmas card photo is perfect, truly a modern day Rockwell. I give you props for 4 Santa's. This sounds bad I'm sure but I am actually glad my kids are older and we don't have to visit with Santa anymore, although they sure do still request gifts from the Big guy.

I'm kinda out of pocket right now but my ears perked up at this question. So quick answer is strides are harder on a treadmill. My technique is I don't look down at the clock but I press the increase pace button every second or two for like however many I randomly decide and then back down. I know I end up bursting faster outdoors. I try to look forward because I tend to drift if I look down (it's not a screen high up near my face, so yours may vary)

But yeah, outside is so much easier and more in the spirit of the workout.

Now I go back to not being on the inter web for a lil while

I typically skip the strides on the treadmill - not worth the trouble and attention it takes to make the adjustments, and they're really just designed to add interest to a run.

It's ok to be slightly fast and slightly slow on some miles as long as you still feel the effort was the same throughout.
I want to say that I did. I have been focusing on what the effort feels like and my breathing while running.

I'd skip it. Strides are such a brief burst of speed that I'm not sure I'd recommend doing them on the treadmill. They serve a fairly minimal benefit, so don't feel like you're missing anything if you have to skip it on a treadmill. There is no pace associated with the strides rather just a short uptick and downtick in pace.
The main reason for my question was to determine where/when to do my run tomorrow. It's still super dark in the morning so running outside on a 4 mile path wouldn't be ideal. I might see if the middle school near me has their track open that early. Or I would move it to the evening after work, but I feel like I am really good at bailing on planned afternoon runs.

Awesome that you are keeping your run streak even on rest days, not sure I could do that. I take my rest days seriously lately with Dopey training. The Christmas card photo is perfect, truly a modern day Rockwell. I give you props for 4 Santa's. This sounds bad I'm sure but I am actually glad my kids are older and we don't have to visit with Santa anymore, although they sure do still request gifts from the Big guy.
I am sure that once I am training for Dopey in the future that I will be BFFs with my rest days. Haha. The 4 Santa's have been a headache more than anything. I tell her that she can only ask Santa for one present and we get the rest but because she got taken to the first Santa by her grandparents and not to our knowledge we didn't have the "What are you going to ask Santa for Christmas" pep-talk and she has changed her mind about what she originally wanted. :scared:

I'm kinda out of pocket right now but my ears perked up at this question. So quick answer is strides are harder on a treadmill. My technique is I don't look down at the clock but I press the increase pace button every second or two for like however many I randomly decide and then back down. I know I end up bursting faster outdoors. I try to look forward because I tend to drift if I look down (it's not a screen high up near my face, so yours may vary)
But yeah, outside is so much easier and more in the spirit of the workout.
I was hoping you would pop and say something because I think I have seen that you have done Strides on the treadmill. It's not that I want to or have to do them on the treadmill, I just need to figure out when to schedule them in and mornings at the gym just work better. But I think I am going to just suck it up and do them outside when I can. Thanks! :)

I'm just here to remind myself to sign up for the Rock N Roll Carlsbad All Day 20k tomorrow while it's on sale.....

I'm just here to remind myself to sign up for the Rock N Roll Carlsbad All Day 20k tomorrow while it's on sale.....
And done! Signed myself up for the All day 20k and my husband up for the 5k. And I got a room *right* next to the starting line.

Sounds like a great hotel find for the race. Will you be celebrating at Legoland when all done?

Sounds like a great hotel find for the race. Will you be celebrating at Legoland when all done?
We have never been to Legoland, but we have thrown around the idea of going before. Then someone told me that for the price you should just go to Disneyland, and it's only an hour north of Carlsbad, if that. So we will probably go to Disneyland the day before the race to celebrate my b-day and my DD's b-day that will be a few weeks before. #becausedisneyland

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!