Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Not sure if I will be able to word this correctly... but I'll give it a shot. If I am trying to get an Uber for two people, how many suitcases/luggage would we need in order to start thinking about ordering an XL?

For example: 2 Checked luggages and 2 carry ons?
3 Checked luggages and 1 carry on?

Will be going on a two week trip with a heavy packer, just want to know at what point we should consider ordering an XL rather than a regular

Not sure if I will be able to word this correctly... but I'll give it a shot. If I am trying to get an Uber for two people, how many suitcases/luggage would we need in order to start thinking about ordering an XL?

For example: 2 Checked luggages and 2 carry ons?
3 Checked luggages and 1 carry on?

Will be going on a two week trip with a heavy packer, just want to know at what point we should consider ordering an XL rather than a regular
That's a great question, and you worded it perfectly. And the answer -- which I learned in one of my business classes -- is: it depends. That answer, I am told, answers most questions!

The truth is, your X request could produce a Prius or a Suburban. So I think the best approach is to estimate whether your luggage would fit in the trunk of a classic X vehicle like a Toyota Camry. I say "in the trunk" because any luggage in a passenger compartment could become a projectile in an accident, and many drivers would legitimately object.

If it will fit, order X; if not, order XL.

If you order X and get a vehicle that can't carry all your stuff...don't complain about the cancellation fee, and you might even want to tip the driver -- who had no way of knowing you needed a container ship, and drove several miles to pick you up and undoubtedly missed other rides he/she could have completed successfully.

FWIW, whenever we (DW, DD17, and I) are Ubering to or from an airport on vacation, I always order XL.

The other point I would make is that X vs XL rates vary greatly from market to market. I don't have the exact rates, but I think Orlando XL is only about 1.5-1.6x regular X fare. Here in Miami, XL is a little more than double the price of X -- big difference.

And even with that difference, I frequently get couples with no luggage ordering XL just to have more comfort (and some say better drivers).

When you do your ride request, you will see both prices and can make a decision then.

Are Lyfts plentiful EARLY in the morning? We have a fishing excursion schedule for Saturday 8/31 and need to get from Pop to the Contemporary Marina by 6:45 am. Will we have any trouble getting a Lyft at that time? I'm guessing it might be even a bit easier than normal with SWGE opening a couple of days before that and most of the parks opening stupid early. We've never used Lyft at the parks before so any advice is very much appreciated!

Hi all. I have a question about using Lyft from MCO to POP.

We had planned to use DME because there is no cost. Although, we have an event that we will possibly be late to depending on how long the whole process takes. We would prefer an alternate form of transportation but you can’t beat the savings of DME. Just hoping we don’t end up on the 90 min to 2hr mark.

I decided to have some things delivered to the hotel but was shocked that most items are almost double the normal price and then you have the delivery fee. I’m thinking it might be more economical to use Lyft instead of DME to drive us to and from the airport so we can stop at Publix rather than use a grocery service and have a better chance of making our event. It should only take me 15 min to grab what I need from Publix.

My question is, do I have to book a Lyft to the store and then another from the store to the hotel or will the driver I use leaving MCO be able to stop there and then provide our ride to the hotel.

Also do you tip Lyft and Uber drivers the same as waitstaff, 15 - 20%?

Hi all. I have a question about using Lyft from MCO to POP.... I’m thinking it might be more economical to use Lyft instead of DME to drive us to and from the airport so we can stop at Publix rather than use a grocery service and have a better chance of making our event. It should only take me 15 min to grab what I need from Publix....

My question is, do I have to book a Lyft to the store and then another from the store to the hotel or will the driver I use leaving MCO be able to stop there and then provide our ride to the hotel.

Also do you tip Lyft and Uber drivers the same as waitstaff, 15 - 20%?

a) I don't think Lyft will wait while you shop, but others may have better info.

b) Make sure you compare the cost of a towncar service like Tiffany Towncar. They pick you up at MCO, take you to a grocery store, wait while you shop, then take you to the hotel. You leave your suitcases in the car while you shop. If you take a Lyft to the grocery store and then have to call another Lyft to get you to the hotel, that would mean taking your suitcases with you into the grocery store. I would think that would be a pain in the neck, unless you have two people and one of them just hangs out with all the suitcases while the other one shops.

c) I tend to tip about 20%. If you tip through the apps, I think they give you a suggested tip amount and also let you decide on a custom tip amount if you prefer. You also can tip in cash.

Last edited:
a) I don't think Lyft will wait while you shop, but others may have better info.

b) Make sure you compare the cost of a towncar service like Tiffany Towncar. They pick you up at MCO, take you to a grocery store, wait while you shop, then take you to the hotel. You leave your suitcases in the car while you shop. If you take a Lyft to the grocery store and then have to call another Lyft to get you to the hotel, that would mean taking your suitcases with you into the grocery store. I would think that would be a pain in the neck, unless you have two people and one of them just hangs out with all the suitcases while the other one shops.

c) I tend to tip about 20%. If you tip through the apps, I think they give you a suggested tip amount and also let you decide on a custom tip amount if you prefer. You also can tip in cash.

I didn’t even think about the suitcases. I’m so glad you responded because that would be too much to deal with. Thanks for the tip about Tiffany’s towncar. I’m going to check that out.

Best Aunt's response above is perfect.

Rideshare drivers will not wait for you to shop unless you pre-negotiate a handsome CASH tip beforehand. "I'll tip you in the app" is a bad joke among drivers, and certainly nobody is going to wait with a promise like that.

I'm not sure what grocery delivery you checked, but your results are not what I've seen posted on the DIS.

I've never used a grocery delivery service, but I've read good reviews about WeGoShop and Garden Grocer. Garden Grocer has a set menu of items to choose from, but I believe WeGoShop will shop anywhere you want, doesn't mark up items, and charges a reasonable delivery fee. There are a number of other services, so I'd recommend more research before you rule out having groceries delivered.

A combination of DME and grocery delivery might be your most efficient and least expensive option overall.

On the timing issue, I think flight delays are much more of a threat than DME delays. You didn't say what your flight arrangements were, but it sounds like you're cutting things pretty close. If you're pushed for time, I don't see how you would fit in a grocery stop.

Can't the suitcases be left to DME even if the passengers don't ride?

Just hoping we don’t end up on the 90 min to 2hr mark.
These times are from stepping off the jetway into the terminal, to stepping off the bus at your resort. My personal best is 59 minutes.
You're right, they won't - unless you negotiate as JimMIA described below :)
Can't the suitcases be left to DME even if the passengers don't ride?
Not officially ;)

I'm not sure what grocery delivery you checked, but your results are not what I've seen posted on the DIS.

I've never used a grocery delivery service, but I've read good reviews about WeGoShop and Garden Grocer. Garden Grocer has a set menu of items to choose from, but I believe WeGoShop will shop anywhere you want, doesn't mark up items, and charges a reasonable delivery fee. There are a number of other services, so I'd recommend more research before you rule out having groceries delivered.

A combination of DME and grocery delivery might be your most efficient and least expensive option overall.

On the timing issue, I think flight delays are much more of a threat than DME delays. You didn't say what your flight arrangements were, but it sounds like you're cutting things pretty close. If you're pushed for time, I don't see how you would fit in a grocery stop.

I checked garden grocer and I can not remember the name of the other two. All of the delivery services I checked either doubled or nearly doubled the cost of the item. I felt that at that price maybe eliminating the delivery and using a ride service might be a better option but after all the tips Ive received on the thread (including yours) I’ve changed my mind and will stick with DME.
Your point about stopping for groceries and flight delays made a lot of sense.

As for the delivery service, although it definitely is more convenient to use grocery delivery, I just cant see spending my money on groceries that have been marked up so high. I am going to check WE GO SHOP and If their prices are decent, then I will use the delivery service. If not,then I will just take a Lyft to the nearest store on the day after arrival.

I just hope there are no flight delays. :worried:

These times are from stepping off the jetway into the terminal, to stepping off the bus at your resort. My personal best is 59 minutes.

😯 59 min that sounds perfect. Maybe I’ll receive a little pixie dust and that will be our time for the DME.

I checked garden grocer and I can not remember the name of the other two. All of the delivery services I checked either doubled or nearly doubled the cost of the item. I felt that at that price maybe eliminating the delivery and using a ride service might be a better option but after all the tips Ive received on the thread (including yours) I’ve changed my mind and will stick with DME.
Your point about stopping for groceries and flight delays made a lot of sense.

As for the delivery service, although it definitely is more convenient to use grocery delivery, I just cant see spending my money on groceries that have been marked up so high. I am going to check WE GO SHOP and If their prices are decent, then I will use the delivery service. If not,then I will just take a Lyft to the nearest store on the day after arrival.

I just hope there are no flight delays. :worried:
Good luck and have a great trip!

When thinking about using Uber or Lyft, if you are factoring in the option of having groceries delivered, you probably should read this thread. We Go Shop allegedly has been double billing people -- a bunch of people have posted about it in this thread. This thread also mentions other options for grocery delivery.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/do-not-use-wegoshop.3652044/page-6#post-60317011

Thank you for the link to the thread. They have a lot of info on all the different options with people’s experiences.

"I'll tip you in the app" is a bad joke among drivers...

Drivers, you probably have answered this before but I can't remember.

If I do tip you in the app, how fast do you see that I've done it?

I'll do the tip before I get out of the car if that will let you know that I'm really doing it.

Drivers, you probably have answered this before but I can't remember.

If I do tip you in the app, how fast do you see that I've done it?

I'll do the tip before I get out of the car if that will let you know that I'm really doing it.
With Uber, we get a text in the driver app. It appears to be delayed by an hour or more, but that could be because the rider didn't rate and tip immediately.

With Lyft, I'm not sure how they handle it, but I don't remember getting any notification. I don't do many Lyft rides and Lyft riders almost never tip here.

With either app, you could do the rating and tip in the driver's presence if they don't mind waiting a minute or two. You have to do the rating first (5 stars = A; 4 stars = F), and then you will get the tipping screen.

The only times I've had that happen have been when new riders asked me to show them how to do the rating and tip in the app.

I always tip my drivers. I always say "I'll finish up once I get inside." I guess I have no idea whether they think I'm BSing them, but I always try to do the right thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter