ever have your credit card number stolen after paying for a disney trip?

DIS Dad #856
this is the 3rd time in 5 years I have had a credit card used to pay for a disney trip and within days being contacted about fraudulent charges coming from the east coast . could be a coincidence but these cards were only used for pre-trip travel expenses.

interesting.

i just saw a news piece the other day on how one of the biggest 'holes' in credit card security that is currently being taken advantage of is through the major hotel/resort reservation systems. apparently allot of it is very dated and not nearly as secure as it should be making it easy for fraudsters to gain access to guest information. i don't know what disney's system is like now but we had a very bad experience with them several years ago wherein we did a resort and cruise stay. they did the thing where they estimate how much you will spend each day w/resort and then cruise charging privileges and do a hold for that amount/per person each day of our stay. in practice they are supposed to post the actual charges each night and release the hold they've put on it but it didn't work that way so that when we got to the end of the cruise there were holds and charges over 6x what we had spent which caused our credit card to be denied. it was a mess and since they use some office that doesn't operate during the same hours as when guests check out/disembark no one could correct it. it taught me to take a second card just in case and to decline charging privileges at the hotel/in the parks.

I have on past trips to Disney. And it only happen when we travel to Disney. We travel up and down the East Coast plus Canada and it has never happened. Also my purchases always happen in CA for Tv's or gift cards for some reason. I have a credit card that has a small amount That I keep low for that reason when we travel. Thankfully by credit card company was keeping watch and FedEx me a new card the next day.

this is the 3rd time in 5 years I have had a credit card used to pay for a disney trip and within days being contacted about fraudulent charges coming from the east coast . could be a coincidence but these cards were only used for pre-trip travel expenses.

Where are you booking through?

I have on past trips to Disney. And it only happen when we travel to Disney. We travel up and down the East Coast plus Canada and it has never happened. Also my purchases always happen in CA for Tv's or gift cards for some reason. I have a credit card that has a small amount That I keep low for that reason when we travel. Thankfully by credit card company was keeping watch and FedEx me a new card the next day.

Same here. I've had it happen 2 or 3 times within 2 weeks of returning from Disney. I've never had it happen with other trips. We also book directly through Disney and I always kept the card locked in the safe while we were at the parks or on hand. My credit card company also caught it within minutes the few times its happened. Definitely frustrating.

In 2004 we had out debit card number stolen and someone took a vacation to Orlando. Coincidentally we were vacationing at Disneyland. We had to walk the bank representative through every transaction and compare to previous trips to point out that the Orlando/WDW/Lake Buena Vista transactions were not ours.

I ve had my card compromised about 4 times. Non after a Disney trip. I believe we're all at risk at anytime, anywhere. The last one for me for the NBA playoffs. Someone tried buying courtside seats with my Chase Visa- NOT. The hassle of changing the # for all my online payment sites is a PAIN!

Whenever we drive our gas card gets declined in Florida until I call the fraud dept. They state that Florida is a high credit card fraud state. My DH was at a conference at the Swan last Dec and a lot of people there were complaining that their cards had been hacked. DD actually had a small charge on hers that the credit company caught. (None were Disney related, but Florida related)

For those who got your credit card info stolen while booking a trip on a major site like Disney I would check what ever you are using to book the trip for a Virus and if you are using WIFI at you home be aware it is not very secure. The rules for credit card processing are very strict. Disney as a company can not have any ones credit card information on any system it is illegal period. This means Disney is using a backend or third party to process any card payments that is secure. lets just say Visa, MC, Amex etc. track credit card fraud in other words 10 credit cards are reported as fraudulent they will track the legitimate charges to see if they have a site or store as to where a charge took place in common if there is it will be investigated and that company will be responsible for any fees and losses to the customer and credit card companies as well as fines. Back to Disney... they have to be PCI compliant in which Disney's computers are scanned by an outside agent which Disney gives access and if ant credit card information is found they will not be issued a certificate. They company will further try to hack Disney with the same results as before. The same tests would go for the back end which will actually process Disney's credit cards... In the case of Disney not being PCI compliant they would be fined each month until they are.... A back end would be shut down and so would they sites they process for.... It is highly unlikely that credit card information is being stolen as a result of any legitimate site these days not just Disney.... rest assured Disney and no other company is immune to the huge fines as what happened with Target years back (other big names as of recent but not as famous or big)....and if it does happen make sure you have all information to a loss as when it does come out as being the fault of ?? you will be compensated for any loss and your time..... When you log onto any site make sure you are actually where you need to be by looking for a lock symbol and HTTPS (the s is important) the site will also likely be a highlighted.... also make sure the WIFI you are using is secure -- your router has to be recent and updated.. a 5 year old router in your house is not secure period...... and make sure you have up to date Virus software running --- yes all expenses but if you want to avoid your credit card info from being stolen.... As far as retail stores these days all stores have to have a chip reader and the customer inserts the credit card meaning no one touches your card... can there still be skimmers and bugs yes.... but again as above if a lot of cards are stolen from a location you can be sure it will be found -- a lot of restaurants now have readers on the tables or mobile ones but again if employees are skimming cards it is easy to pick off as they will be alerted again by the companies tracking legitimate transactions. This does not mean things don't happen as they do but as above it will be found out and the company will be fined and if you had a loss you will be compensated so save all information when your credit card number is stolen if you had out of pocket expenses... By law if your card is part of anything above you will receiver a letter from the company.. otherwise 99.9% chance it is on your end.

Had my card stolen along with my sunglasses (still bitter about the glasses) while in WDW and someone went on a little shopping spree in Disney Springs and EPCOT with my CC. Trying to figure out which Disney charges were mine vs. which were the thief's was a nightmare! Had to cancel the card and then the front desk called to tell me that my card had been declined when they went to charge an expense to the room. It was a pain!

I have booked a ton of Disney vacations and never had an issue. Sounds like I’m lucky!

I have also. I am DVC so the only charges on my card come from the front desk of the hotel. I don't fret much, as it's happened other times as well. I get a new card sent out and move on. But yes, it has happened at least once after charging at Disney.

Not only have I often had fraudulent charges within a week or two of returning home, I also get a slew of telemarketers promoting vacations during that time. That said, I generally have charges on one or the other of my Chase cards at least once a year. (knock wood - it's been 14 months since the last one!)

It happens all the time. No need to worry about it or take extraordinary steps to avoid it happening. You just call the credit card company and get a new card. All of the fraudulent charges will be removed.

now that you mention it...yes. My credit card info was stolen after I booked on the Disney site and made my down payment. It happened in November, when i was also buying Christmas presents online so I didn't think anything of it, but boy was it a pain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter