EPCOT... UGH!!! DOUBLE UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big kicker to this whole thread is that drinking in America is still seen somewhat as taboo...add drinking on vacation*gasp* at DW and *double gasp* day drinking...total taboo spectrum has been met.

1) No one is saying you shouldn't drink. Not one. Not Opie, not me, not anyone. Everyone who is thinking that is what anyone is saying is misreading those posts. No one cares if you drink. No one cares of you get drunk. And what I think doesn't matter at all. Alcohol is a part of Epcot and DHS and will remain so -- drinking there is legal and encouraged.

2) But some people wish alcohol wasn't a big part of Epcot, just like some people wish there was still FP legacy, some people wish they hadn't gotten rid of 20,000 leagues and some people wish there was a street cleaner every six feet and admission was still $35. And if OP wishes that the place where she and her kids were having their vacation wasn't overrun with people drinking -- some to excess, some to out of control levels -- then there's nothing wrong with OP or anyone else thinking or expressing that sentiment. It's not a condemnation of anyone who does it, not a value judgement placed upon them, not an evaluation of their morals or their lifestyle. It's just a wish that things were a little different, expressed on a public forum.

3) However, this idea that drinking does not change behavior seems to be contradicted by the entirety of human experience. Again, i don't care if you drink. I don't care if you drink at Epcot, and I'm not saying you shouldn't. But I am saying this idea that anyone can drink and have their actions and behavior affected by it is not correct (I'm sure there are exceptions, and I'm not commenting on any specific person since I've not been around any of you while you're drinking or drunk). Every person who has been caught drinking and driving was pretty sure they were okay to drive before they started the car. Every person who's gotten into a drunken argument anywhere was pretty sure they were in control of their emotions and their actions when they started the fight. Everybody who has gone home with the wrong stranger was pretty sure they were in good enough condition to make the decision at the time. But none of them were. That's why we have laws that say drinking diminishes the capacity to make decisions.

4) If I were someone who farted often and in public, I might not think it a bad thing. Most of the time people can't hear it, the smell disapaites pretty quickly and I feel having gas is unpleasant. So I might not care whether my farting in line affected anyone else, and if I farted enough, I might not even notice it when I do it. But if someone pointed out to me -- or if I read a thread somewhere that talked about people farting in line as a negative, I might rethink letting one rip next time I'm waiting for Space Mountain. Or maybe not. But no one would be wrong to point out how it sucks to have the fat guy in front of you fart, and maybe I'd recognize myself in that and be careful next time.

The big kicker to this whole thread is that drinking in America is still seen somewhat as taboo...add drinking on vacation*gasp* at DW and *double gasp* day drinking...total taboo spectrum has been met.

What about the children????

4) If I were someone who farted often and in public, I might not think it a bad thing. Most of the time people can't hear it, the smell disapaites pretty quickly and I feel having gas is unpleasant. So I might not care whether my farting in line affected anyone else, and if I farted enough, I might not even notice it when I do it. But if someone pointed out to me -- or if I read a thread somewhere that talked about people farting in line as a negative, I might rethink letting one rip next time I'm waiting for Space Mountain. Or maybe not. But no one would be wrong to point out how it sucks to have the fat guy in front of you fart, and maybe I'd recognize myself in that and be careful next time.

Next time I smell a fart at WDW, I'll just assume it was you. :rolleyes1

Also, what?!?!?

Last edited:
Here's what I've been learning from this thread along with web surfing things relevant:

1. There are no clear, rigorous definitions of tipsy, buzzed, hammered, drunk, etc., making it really difficult to know what people are talking about.
  2. People confuse "drinking around the world" with getting drunk. Its possible to do either one without the other, or both (or neither).
  3. People can't agree on what annoying behavior is, so how can we possibly agree on what annoying drunk behavior is?
  4. Some people wish that Epcot didn't have alcohol. Sorry, folks, that boat has sailed, and it's not useful or realistic to call it back.
  5. Some people wish Epcot limited drinking to within the restaurant or bar areas. That might even have been the original practice, too. (I'm not sure; maybe that's why they had to get rid of the double decker buses.). This boat has sailed, too, though it's slightly more plausible that it could be undone.
  6. People don't see a qualitative difference between drinking at Epcot and the other parks that serve alcohol. (Hint: do a web search for "drinking around Disney's Animal Kingdom" and compare the results to "drinking around World Showcase".) Not that this difference is necessarily significant - it might be, but I don't have the hard data to say one way or another.
  7. People who aren't used to seeing others drinking have a hard time expressing what exactly bothers them. That doesn't prove their concerns are unfounded, but it doesn't help give those concerns any weight, either.
  8. People who aren't used to being around others who drink don't trust any drinkers' own assessments of their state of alcohol consumption, even if it's "I'm 250 pounds and only had a single glass of beer with my 24 oz steak and fries, after my fried cheese stick appetizer."
  9. People who do drink seem to have unshakable confidence in their own assessments of their state of alcohol consumption, both during and after the fact.
  10. People who do drink are incredibly, incredibly defensive about it. To the point of trying to prove that each and every accusation of someone drunk at Epcot is false. ("I've never seen it therefore it can't possibly exist, and anyone who says so without breathalyzer results in triplicate must have mistaken it for some other explanation."). Or it's ok to question someone's observation of someone else's apparent drunkenness, but it's not ok to question someone's own judgement of their own state.

Now that @GaryDis has provided the CliffsNotes (when did this change from Cliff's Notes?) version of the 14 pages which caused some to begin day drinking: closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter