Epcot "side" Entrance

Tarasmom

Just me and my Pooh Bear!
I am going to Epcot on 8/23 and I have PS for the Princess B'fast at 9am...I will drive my own car also. My question is...should I park in the main lot or by the BoardWalk or Swan? The only reason I am asking is that I have heard of people parking in these alternative lots...is it really ok to park there? Would it benefit me at all? Please keep in mind that the Disneyana thing is the same day...
Could I also ask for directions? I have never parked anywhere other than the main lots for each park.
TIA,
Laura

You are not supposed to park in those lots unless you are a guest of that hotel or have other business at those hotels. At one point in time WDW was denying access through the International Gateway entrance to anyone who didn't have a resort ID from one of the five Epcot resorts to cut down on this problem. I hope they continue the practice.

There is barely enough parking for paying guests of these hotels, let alone the throngs of people who park in the lots there for a variety of reason not related to using the facilities at those resorts.

There is no reason you can't just park in the main Epcot lot and walk in through the front--it's actually closer than walking from the parking lot of an Epcot resort.

Anne

As I stated in the original post, I have heard that others have parked there. I actually asked if it was a "legal" thing to do and if it had any benefit. Honest questions should not be met with the that kind of tone. I am not by any means trying to put out resort guests or cheat the system. Thank you for letting me know that it is not ok. I will not be parking there, because I have no problem following the rules.
Laura

At one point in time WDW was denying access through the International Gateway entrance to anyone who didn't have a resort ID from one of the five Epcot resorts to cut down on this problem. I hope they continue the practice.

Was this recently? What if you were at Epcot and wanted to stop over at the Boardwalk or Beaches & Cream for lunch? How would you get back in? What if you were at MGM and decided to go over to Epcot on the boat? Just because you are entering through the International Gateway and are not staying at one of the 5 resorts means that you illegally parked to get there. I've never heard that the International Gateway was supposed to be for the exclusive use of the 5 resorts there.

That being said, I own DVC at Boardwalk and it aggravates me that the lot is often full with non-guests. Not only non-BW guests but non-WDW guests. I've noticed most cars have no WDW resort parking permit (BW or otherwise). I wish they would require non-WDW guests to use the lot across the street if they are going to the Boardwalk. By the streams of cars leaving after Illuminations, you know most parked there to avoid the $6 parking fee.

While I would not suggest parking at the Swan (or the YC/BC) I don't think it is inappropriate to park at the Boardwalk. To me the Boardwalk area with its shops and restaurants is a destination area itself and not just a hotel. I think there is parking space allotted there for that purpose. I have parked in the Boardwalk lot before when we were returning to EPCOT for an evening. We did that because we wanted to see/spend some time in the Boardwalk area also and because I thought it might be easier to get out of that lot after the fireworks. I sure did not (and do not) feel like I was doing anything wrong.

We were WDW resort guests so the parking was free but I know there was an entrance gate with a CM that raised the barrier. I am pretty sure they would have charged us or not let us in if we did not have the WDW resort permit. I could be wrong but I don't think this is a way to avoid paying the EPCOT parking charge.

For reasons noted in the prior post I don't think they ever required an EPCOT area resort ID to go through the international gateway. That is the transit area for anyone moving back and forth from MGM. I first went through that gateway over 10 years ago when staying at the Swan and I have never been asked to show any resort ID.

I would agree that it does not really save you much walking distance. It is a pretty long walk either way, particularly because the self-parking at the Boardwalk (that I used anyway) was quite a ways down the hill from the entrance. In the morning I do think you would be better off parking in the regular lot and going through the main gate.

There are 3 self park lots at Boardwalk. The one closest to the hotel, one behind the guard shack and one across the street (on the same side as the Exxon Station) I think they should reserve the one closest to the hotel for hotel guests. Even if they reserved it for WDW resort guests (any resort) I don't think it would be much of a problem. The problem is non-WDW resort guests filling the lot. I always look at the car windows when we park there when staying there and the majority do not have a WDW parking permit (any resort). I spoke to the Boardwalk Manager about it at the DVC meeting and he said the guards are to direct non-guests across the street when the lot gets to be full. I think they wait to long to do that, leaving hotel guests no place to park and forcing them into valet. He did say that the problem is that Boardwalk is a destination in itself and not just a hotel, but I think hotel guests should get a reserved area.

Originally posted by DebbieB
...(snip)...He did say that the problem is that Boardwalk is a destination in itself and not just a hotel, but I think hotel guests should get a reserved area.

I agree. Wish they would just reserve a portion of the close in lot for those actually staying at the BWI & BWV. All they would have to do is post a few signs and have the guards tell people if they park in the reserved section without a BWI or BWV parking pass, their cars may be towed. IMHO, that would sure save a lot of aggravation for the hotel guests.

When we stayed at the BWV in Dec, we had to "tour" the lot many , many, times prior to parking. It was rediculous. DH finally dropped me off to check-in, then continued to "tour" the lot.
I sat on our balcony late each night (5 nights), and watched folks leave the BW area and get into their vehicles. We had a view of the parking lot/bus stop (which I loved, BTW). :(

I stayed at the Dolphin at the end of June/beginning of July, and entered Epcot at the International Gateway many many times, and no one asked to see my resort ID.

While on the bus from the Dolphin to AK, we made stops at BC/YC and BW, and the entrance to the parking lots had signs that stated the parking was for resort guests and any non-resort guests were limited to a 3 hour parking pass, similar to the signs at the MK resorts.

Originally posted by DebbieB

Was this recently? What if you were at Epcot and wanted to stop over at the Boardwalk or Beaches & Cream for lunch

Sorry, I should have been more specific by saying that they would not allow non-Epcot Resort area guests in before World Showcase opened.

Anne

Originally posted by djanssen
While I would not suggest parking at the Swan (or the YC/BC) I don't think it is inappropriate to park at the Boardwalk. To me the Boardwalk area with its shops and restaurants is a destination area itself and not just a hotel. I think there is parking space allotted there for that purpose

The OP was not suggesting taht they wanted to spend any time at the BW Entertainment district, rather they wanted to park there for faster access to Epcot. Big difference.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter