Epcot : Mission Space - Concerns about motion sickness

CableKC

DIS Veteran
I have visited Epcot once every 3 to 4 years as part of my Disney Families pilgrimage but decided to not go on Mission Space at Epcot due to concerns about motion sickness ( which it is well known for ). At first, my kids were too young to go on the ride. This next trip, I'm planning out where to go and pondering whether to go on this particular ride or not.

My kids are in their early teens, so a ride like this is right up their alley. But for me, as I have gotten older.....I am far more prone to motion sickness....especially on simulator rides and any ride that spins ( I don't join the kids on many of the Universal Studios rides since most of them are simulator rides and don't go on the Tea Cup ride either ).

I know that there are 2 versions of this ride where one takes it a little easier on you.

For those that are prone to motion sickness and have gone on the easier ride, how did you do?

I have tried to remedy this by taking Dramamine a few hours before going on any of these type of rides, but it's a hit or miss. I really want to go on this ride cuz it looks really cool, but I'm just concerned that it will ruin the day for me if I'm feeling sick the entire day.

Thoughts?

I’ll be honest, I cannot do this ride. I don’t normally get motion sick but I have some sinus issues and this particular ride really gets me. I’ve tried multiple times and always feel sick after. That being said, it subsided relatively quickly.
Not sure this is helpful, but figured I’d add my two cents.

The "green" side of Mission Space does not spin and the simulator part of that side was actually tamed down, IMHO, when they switched from a mission to Mars to simply flying over Earth. If you have any claustrophobia, however, I would completely avoid the ride. I have claustrophobia and the last time I rode it, there was a slight delay in the start of the ride and I almost had a panic attack. Quite honestly, the green side is really, really boring, IMHO. If your kids are older (7 or up), you may want to send them in on their own. On our last trip, DH rode with DS11 and I simply waited for them outside. If you are going to attempt it, definitely try green.

There are two versions of the ride with two separate entrances, the "Orange" version is the more intense version with actual g-force spinning that has been known for causing motion sickness, the "Green" version on the other hand is the less intense version that does NOT spin and you are hence in stationary ride vehicle that simple shakes and vibrates but does not actually move. IMO anyone can ride on the "Green" version, it is very tame and significantly less intense than most thrill ride type attractions.

I get motion sick easy. The older I get, the more it happens. In never have done the orange side thoughI would love to. I got very sic on the green side. It was just as bad as Star Tours for me.

I get motion sick. Universal was an exercise in managing which rides to skip, which ones I could ride, and which ones I rode with my eyes shut for parts of the rides.

I stupidly rode the orange version of Mission Space once. NEVER AGAIN! I didn't throw up, but it was very close, and I was miserable for an hour or two. I am fine on the green side. For me, Mission Space Green is less motion sickness inducing than Star Tours. That said, everyone is different, but I bet that the green side is worth one try.

My whole life I've loved all thrill rides and roller coasters. EE, RnR, Tower of Terror seem light-weight to me. But the first time I tried the orange version of Mission Space it ruined my day. Felt so bad and didn't feel normal until the next morning. Next trip was three years later, so thought I'd try it again in case is was just a coincidence, but same thing. Just felt sick, not from stomach but headache and weird feeling all over, just bad. That was enough for me, but still think it's amazing that's the only ride in my whole life that's been a problem.
Hope this helps, CableKC.
:goodvibes

The green side is very mild in regards to motion sickness. I cannot do anything that spins or goes really fast and I had zero issues with it. As others have said, claustrophobia is a big deal. It is very small dark space

The "green" side of Mission Space does not spin and the simulator part of that side was actually tamed down, IMHO, when they switched from a mission to Mars to simply flying over Earth. If you have any claustrophobia, however, I would completely avoid the ride. I have claustrophobia and the last time I rode it, there was a slight delay in the start of the ride and I almost had a panic attack. Quite honestly, the green side is really, really boring, IMHO. If your kids are older (7 or up), you may want to send them in on their own. On our last trip, DH rode with DS11 and I simply waited for them outside. If you are going to attempt it, definitely try green.

This is my issue. I took my 4 year old on it and she was fine. It’s smoother than even Startours. And while it didn’t break down on me I was panicked it would. I can’t imagine being stuck in there. Gives me chills thinking about it from my couch.

I don’t ever do spinning rides, and I’m not much of a roller coaster rider either. I get car sick often when I’m in a vehicle for longer than an hour. That said though, I wanted to experience at least a few of the more “tame” thrill rides Disney has. The “scariest” or most motion-intensive rides I went on were Splash Mountain, FoP 3x (we got very lucky with fast passes during our trip), mission Space (Green), Soarin, Dinosaur (multiple times-I really loved this ride) and Star Tours. I found Mission Space-Green to be really tame. Like another poster said..kinda boring to be honest. I didn’t get sick from it or any else we rode except for Star Tours. I was feeling nauseous for about an hour after that one.

I felt mildly sick at the end when it gets bumpy (on the green side). That part was over pretty quick, so I felt sick for a few more minutes and then was fine. It wasn't so bad that I would never do it again.

I ride the easier version and still have to close my eyes as it messes with my head. It makes me dizzy and I almost fell over after leaving the ride in January.

I can't do either side of this ride. I also don't like feeling closed in either and you do here.

We’re doing Epcot today, and have got an ADR at Akershus for an early dinner, with a Mission Space FP straight after. After reading the comments on here, I’ve just tried changing the FP time to before dinner instead, but there’s no availability. How much spinning does the Orange side actually do?

Don’t do it! It was one of the first rides on our first time ever to Epcot for my husband and I, the more aggressive side, Orange I think? He and I were so sick for hours after. I’ve ridden many a coaster, NEVER have I ever felt so awful. It felt like the longest ride ever, focusing on not getting sick. Nearly lost it a few times. Never again. Not even the green side. There’s a reason there are barf shields at each seat.

I have only done the Green Side. IMO it's really dumb...you basically just stand there and it has a little rumbling from time to time. I have never done the Orange side. I had always heard it was much more intense. Until my 30's, I could do just about any ride, no problems. Fast forward 20 years and now any spinning rides generally do not have a good effect on me and pretty much ruin the rest of the day. Thus I just avoid them. The night prior to a park day, I take a Dramamine (sleepy type) and I wear sea bands in the park--those two things do seem to make the park days more easy to do nowadays. If you think they are old enough, I would send the kids ahead on their own and catch up to them at the end. I haven't been to the parks in 7 years but they used to have a chicken exit at some of them...that you could wait in line with your party but as they got on the ride, you exited to meet them at the end. I haven't heard them mentioned anywhere for a long time, so I do not know if they still exist.

I cannot ride this attraction in any shape, form or fashion. The first (and only) time I rode it I had no idea what it was. Now I get light headed just walking by it!!

Don’t do it! It was one of the first rides on our first time ever to Epcot for my husband and I, the more aggressive side, Orange I think? He and I were so sick for hours after. I’ve ridden many a coaster, NEVER have I ever felt so awful. It felt like the longest ride ever, focusing on not getting sick. Nearly lost it a few times. Never again. Not even the green side. There’s a reason there are barf shields at each seat.
I’m not entirely sure what the ride actually is TBH. Is it a motion simulator that also rotates in a big circle like an astronauts centrifugal g-force training machine or something? If so, how fast does it actually spin?
I thought that I could stomach any ride out there until the morning of our first day in Universal Studios last week. But after riding lots of motion-simulators back-to-back, it knocked me really sick and feeling kind of ‘outer body’. (although I think that three coffees back-to-back before 8:00 that morning didn’t help either.lol)
If I can’t change our FP to before we have dinner, I think I may make your advice and swap it for something else altogether. We’ve got 6 & 8 year old girls, so I don’t want to ruin the rest of the day for them.

It's awful. Don't do it. I was ill for most of the day after riding it.

FWIW, I also got really sick on FoP and Forbidden Journey. Star Tours is horrible for me as well. I can do Soari'n and Gringott's. I can do ToT once only if I have a bit of a break afterwards. (my kids like to ride it at least a couple of times) and the teacups are fine if I'm not spinning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter