Epcot Major Announcement Thursday?

The mine ride has always been planned to open in the first quarter of 2014, so 7 months ahead would put it opening in September. Looking at the current progress I have my doubts about that.

Agree. It's also a relatively new type of ride system for Disney: combo coaster / dark ride with swinging vehicles. The test & adjust phase will take longer than is often the case with more tried-and-true systems.

Once physical construction is complete, it could be weeks or months before the attraction is ready for 16-hour operational days.

For aesthetics, I think Russia would be the best. Red Square, a Siberian Express coaster/ride, good vodka... not sure the restaurant would be a popular option, though... not much good Russian cuisine I don't think.

I don't think the current political climate lends itself to the project though.

84883-004-ACA9F3E9.jpg

Actually, there is some fantastic Russian cuisine. We dined in Moscow and Ufa when we adopted our daughter. The food at our old communist hotel on Arbat Street was comparable to that of a 4 star hotel. The deserts were tremendous.

There are also season foods and events that would also be a hit, like the breads at Easter and the tradition of giving someone a Red Easter Egg.

There is a lot more to Russian than it's reputation as the "Evil Empire". It would be an incredible addition to the World Showcase.

But, alas, I am just dreaming....

maybe Soarin' finally getting refurbed? :confused3

jeez...soarin is only 7 years old...thats not even enough time for all the paint to have been chipped off yet.

On the list of WDW priorities...i would say a soarin' refurb to be approximately # 867 on the list.

They did kick around an idea to actually build on to Soarin' to increase capacity a few years ago - "alledgedly"...

that would make some sense....as the long line at soarin is kinda counterproductive to the apparent goals of the Nextgen project...it would seem

For aesthetics, I think Russia would be the best. Red Square, a Siberian Express coaster/ride, good vodka... not sure the restaurant would be a popular option, though... not much good Russian cuisine I don't think.

I don't think the current political climate lends itself to the project though.

84883-004-ACA9F3E9.jpg

I would love to see Russia as a pavillion. Borscht and vodka...what more could someone want???

jeez...soarin is only 7 years old...thats not even enough time for all the paint to have been chipped off yet.

On the list of WDW priorities...i would say a soarin' refurb to be approximately # 867 on the list.

They did kick around an idea to actually build on to Soarin' to increase capacity a few years ago - "alledgedly"...

that would make some sense....as the long line at soarin is kinda counterproductive to the apparent goals of the Nextgen project...it would seem

I see your points locked out, however, wouldn't the cost to make a new movie, make this a likely and least costly up grade for Epcot?

AKK

There was talk a long time ago that Soarin' was going to be made relevant to Florida. I don't know what happened to that idea.

It was just talk, not from any reliable source. We've also heard about "Soarin' over America" too...

I see your points locked out, however, wouldn't the cost to make a new movie, make this a likely and least costly up grade for Epcot?

What makes making a new Soarin' movie a cheap upgrade? Last I knew, just making the IMAX print itself cost somewhere in the $35-50k range. And Disney isn't using standard IMAX - it's a modified "IMAX HD" (a standard that died because it wore too quickly), coupled with an Omnimax (aka IMAX Dome) projection system, so the film images need to be processed differently for the curvature of the screen.

I'm all-in betting-wise that they are waiting for digital projection technology to reach the brightness/resolutions necessary to go fully digital. That tech is planned to arrive later this year last I heard. Then Disney can not only drop the expensive film, but be able to vary the experience ala Star Tours II.

Heard!!! THey need to do a Soarin' over Florida!!!

it took them ten years to make the california one because of being able to film over certain areas... if florida is the same and they have been working on it it will take a few more years.

once again i heard tonight that in the morning the announcement is including everything about the monstrous summer and a new attraction coming to epcot we will see!

What makes making a new Soarin' movie a cheap upgrade? Last I knew, just making the IMAX print itself cost somewhere in the $35-50k range. And Disney isn't using standard IMAX - it's a modified "IMAX HD" (a standard that died because it wore too quickly), coupled with an Omnimax (aka IMAX Dome) projection system, so the film images need to be processed differently for the curvature of the screen.

I don't believe the curvature of the screen has anything to do with how the film images are processed. Its the projector lens (which doesn't need to be changed) that makes sure the image is correctly focused on the screen.

So, does everyone on this thread now realize that the "major announcement" is AT Epcot, but does not appear to be ABOUT Epcot. Looks like an update on Princess Hall/Mine Train and Monstorous Summer, though they could always surprise with an extra announcement.

Disney's major announcement today at EPCOT will be.........

They are finally making an official "Drinking Around the World" passport. They tired of letting outside websites getting all the money. :drinking1

I don't believe the curvature of the screen has anything to do with how the film images are processed. Its the projector lens (which doesn't need to be changed) that makes sure the image is correctly focused on the screen.

I believe the image in each frame is printed in a "distorted" fashion (kind of like anamorphic widescreen), so that when projected through the lens the image is "corrected" on the screen.

I want to say they do the same for regular IMAX (to correct for the distortion from the angle of the projector to the screen), but no as much.

It's possible this is done in-camera at film time - I haven't seen the complete process. Omnimax/Dome filming isn't done very much.

I'm all-in betting-wise that they are waiting for digital projection technology to reach the brightness/resolutions necessary to go fully digital. That tech is planned to arrive later this year last I heard. Then Disney can not only drop the expensive film, but be able to vary the experience ala Star Tours II.[/QUOTE]

I guess I was not all that clear, (it happens in old age:rolleyes1)

I only meant is was cheaper to produce a new film then build a entire new attraction.

Your points are well taken!

AKK

Anyone know what time this event/announcement is scheduuled for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!