Entertainer at Poly Fired - Lipoa's Return!! & 'Ohana's changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sent an email to guest relations in response to this matter. Hope we can get to the right folks to reverse things for Lipoa.

I have sent several e-mails to Disney regarding the Polynesian. Until now, all have been positive. The response has been very fast but I have yet to recieve anything from Disney about my last message. What was the Polynesian's role in this? Did they bow to California's pressure? Does California call the shots? We may never know but I would sure like to have some names and numbers... I too work for a company that uses "knee jerk" as its management style.

I am just curious if anyone has gotten a responce from Disney about this situation.....

The sad part is that there are so many valid complaints that Disney chooses to ignore. I guess the "man on the floor" must be someone of importance for them to consider answering his complaints.

My thoughts exactly - who does this guy know? :confused3 That's probably the answer to the whole mystery. :sad2:

I have spoken to Dave Venerables, the General Manager at the Polynesian about the matter as I called down and left a message. He didn't confirm or deny that the dismissal had happened, and accepted my telephone call of complaint.

I also say "who did this guy know".

Lipoa seems to be holding up well, but I'm sure appreciates everyone keeping this alive.

I have not received a response to my e-mail to guest relations, and doubt that I (or anyone) will. I think it is unlikely that anyone at Disney, or the Polynesian, will comment on a termination. I did, however, call the Polynesian shortly after Lipoa told me she was fired and I spoke to a manager who did confirm that she is no longer working there, and he did actually agree (in an indirect way) that her situation was very sad, and that many at the Polynesian found the circumstances to be very questionable. He could not discuss specifics or go any further than that. I can confirm that Lipoa's last day at the Polynesian was November 29th - and my family and I actually spoke with her at the Tambu lounge after she was done at 'Ohana's. She didn't mention anything to us at the time because at that point she hadn't heard the final word from Dave Venerables. We never saw her again during our trip, and other CM's told us she was sick. It wasn't until we flew back home that we spoke to her on the phone and she told us her story.

But as I've said before, I only know her side of the story, and I choose to believe her after having known her personally for over five years. And although the e-mails and letters will likely amount to nothing, at least it may be drawing attention to the issue and giving someone at Disney something to think about. The response has definitely lifted Lipoa's spirits, as I've told her about how many people are showing support.

I've been reading all of this with interest and have a great deal of sympathy for Lipoa. My thought is this guy could have been some sort of pervert who became concerned that he might have gotten "busted" by family members (or if he's a repeat offender the authorities) for having pictures that would otherwise would be difficult to obtain.

In regards to getting a response from Disney about this, don't count on it. I work for a Fortune 100 company in an area that (unfortunately) makes me familiar with how such things are handled. A firing is an HR issue that can not be discussed due to privacy laws and guidelines.

If you're looking for a response what you need to do is send your complaints to the Public Relations contacts that are on the WDW Web site. It's their jobs to craft statements to address issues such as these. They will navigate the slippery slope and give some sort of spinned response.

There's probably more to this story than we know at this point but 2 questions come to mind immediatley:
1. What the heck was the guy doing laying on the floor taking pictures? and..
2. Not to be crass but what guy in their right mind gets offended by this? If it was an obvious attempt by the woman to "flash" him, wouldn't a whole bunch of people have seen it, besides the picture taker?

As someone himself was fired for doing nothing wrong, I certainly feel for her.

Shame that Disney didn't give her a fair shake.

I sent a message. We've not yet been to 'Ohana, but I'd seen pictures and read about Lipoa and had looked forward to seeing her. Even if she kicked the guy for shooting up her skirt, I'd say it was justified. She deserves the right to protect her dignity. This isn't the usual respect for women and their safety that I value from Disney.

Bottom line, she was wearing the costume Disney specified she wear for her job, and the guy took a photo up her dress, unintentionally or otherwise.

I'm leaning toward the theory that she called him on it (the extraneous details to which alohaguy refers), embarrassing him, and this is what really pissed him off and lead to the complaint.

Disney has an awkward legal situation on their hands, if management fired her for being rude to a guest who violated her privacy.

This is so upsetting to me and my family. Imo, she made 'Ohanas what it was. My family and I bragged about our times there with Lipoa. We have an upcoming trip in 2 weeks and had 2 dinner ressies there. I guess we will be cancelling. I am truly disappointed. :sad2:

Dear Dave Venerables,

I know you or one of your henchmen read this board. I would like you to do the right thing and hire Lipoa back (if she wants to come back). Find your spine and tell California that we (the adventure seekers who visit the Polynesian) do not like "picture taking whining perverts" and that we adore Lipoa. [This was edited many times] I'm writing you here because you have not responded. I KNOW by law that you cannot talk about the incedent. I just want you to do the right thing... Marty Horn - Always a Poly Fan!

First off, if you are going to post personal messages to Disney employees, please at least know who you are speaking to, it is Dave Venables. Secondly are you sure he is the one responsible for getting her fired.

I think Snowbunny's take on it, is close to what happened.

Bottom line, she was wearing the costume Disney specified she wear for her job, and the guy took a photo up her dress, unintentionally or otherwise.

I'm leaning toward the theory that she called him on it (the extraneous details to which alohaguy refers), embarrassing him, and this is what really pissed him off and lead to the complaint.

Disney has an awkward legal situation on their hands, if management fired her for being rude to a guest who violated her privacy.

I would also assume there are protocools somewhere in a Disney employment manual for this type of situation, and Lipoa may have violated those protocols by being rude to the guy (if that is what happened) and not calling security.

snowbunny and sammie -

The extraneous details I referred to were just personal things Lipoa told me, and did not pertain directly to the incident. She did not complain or confront the photographer - she didn't even know the picture was taken. She had to demand that the Poly GM show her the picture in question because she didn't even believe it existed - so the theory that has been presented in which she confronted the guest is absolutely false. I know that people have a penchant for being skeptical, but I have presented the actual scenario that was told to me straight from Lipoa. There were no other versions. I believe her. She has no reason to make up ridiculous stories after eleven years at disney.

And Sammie, Dave Venables was the one that ultimately told Lipoa of her termination, although it was not his decision. His hands were tied by California, where the final decision was made.

Thanks for the clarification alohaguy.
To the folks waiting to hear back from Disney HR (or any other HR) on their emails regarding an employee termination - you won't.

I don't need to hear back from HR, but letter still coming in keeps her on the front burner, instead of the "who cares" back one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter