Entertainer at Poly Fired - Lipoa's Return!! & 'Ohana's changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's all there is to that story, it seems pretty crazy. Someone complaining that they could see up her skirt because they were lying on the floor? That's just kind of nuts. Ummm...get up off the floor! :rolleyes:

OMG,
I was just talking about her this week. I can't believe this. My family has enjoyed her for many years on our trips to WDW and Ohana's. I'm very sorry to hear this.

Cindy's Mom said:
I have to disagree with this comment - to me its sounds like a full story and Corporate America being scared as crap that they will get sued by the photog laying on the floor. The customer is already right is their thinking. (not mine)

And I have to disagree with this comment - there's no way that's the full story. You never get the full story. I'm not taking any position on the firing and it is entirely possible that this lady needs and deserves our support. But I think it is naive to even consider that you've heard the full story.
My 2 cents.

BostonRob - earlier in this thread I stated that I only have Lipoa's side of the story. No one in management at the Polynesian will discuss her termination for obvious reasons pertaining to her privacy and the privacy of the man that made the complaint. And the story I presented was basically the whole story she related to me - minus some unnecessary and gratuitous details that would innevitably be debated on these boards without merit.

My basis for believing her comes strictly from having known her for many years and believing in her character. She is an honest, caring, generous person who has always treated guests with dignity and professionalism. I see no reason not to believe her, as making up such a story would be ludicrous. I know there are others that know her on a personal level, and they are the ones that need to show support. But as always - particularly on these boards - there will be those that are skeptical, and that is everyone's right.

Aloha

mulanrouge said:
Although I didn't know her, my guess is Disney didn't want another "character" incident. Wasn't it last year that a character was accused of inappropriate touching? Maybe this was along the same lines, and Disney didn't want any more bad press. You know how the press can twist things around. Just my 2 cents.
As a former reporter, I don't want to debate "twisting" here -- but I WILL agree in so far as any guest who was wonky enough to complain about something HE did (ie, taking a picture) wouldn't hesitate to threaten legal action or threaten to go to the press.... and that would naturally incite a kneejerk corporate reaction, to try to shut someone up.

O.K. I just sent a long e mail to Disney. Hope it helps. We love you Lipoa. You are our Ohana.

It has been several months since we were at the Poly, but have just gotten around to developing my pictures (I know - I know!). My daughter and I were looking them over and there is a great shot of DD with Lipoa - and now this! I am very disappointed at the Poly right now. I am also thinking very bad thoughts about the guy with the camera "AND" the goofball who went crying to management. I will be firing off a letter and e-mail... very sad.

Wow, this is a very sad story. We noticed she was missing when we were at the Poly on Sunday :( It's not the same without her.

Why in the heck was the guy laying on the floor to start with??? Even if he were taking a picture of his child, WHY on the floor? I don't understand that.

:confused3

i have been to ohana once so not any authority but if she is the only woman preformer she was throwing a royal fit when we were there cause the sound kept going out..to the extent it was embarrassing to hear..who wants to pay to hear the staff fighting while you are trying to eat... and helped make us think ohana was a one time shot for us...it wasn't just behind the scenes either, she was literally scream at other staff members across the middle of the main dining room as well as by the area behind the fire pit area which was where we were seated

anyone can have a bad day and maybe that was not the way she normally acted but this was crazy...just thinking maybe there could have been something else to the story if this was her since she acted like that the one and only time i saw her( imo it was so unprofessional and totally undisneylike)

you know that old adage...2 sides to every story

jann1033 said:
i have been to ohana once so not any authority but if she is the only woman preformer she was throwing a royal fit when we were there cause the sound kept going out..to the extent it was embarrassing to hear..who wants to pay to hear the staff fighting while you are trying to eat... and helped make us think ohana was a one time shot for us...it wasn't just behind the scenes either, she was literally scream at other staff members across the middle of the main dining room as well as by the area behind the fire pit area which was where we were seated

anyone can have a bad day and maybe that was not the way she normally acted but this was crazy...just thinking maybe there could have been something else to the story if this was her since she acted like that the one and only time i saw her( imo it was so unprofessional and totally undisneylike)

you know that old adage...2 sides to every story

While not knowing anything particular about this case, I had a similar experience with above poster. The "entertainer" mentioned in this thread pretty much made my wife and I never want to go back there. It was loud and in your face experience that totally took away the ambience that "should have been" at Ohana. Shouting into the mic (not arguing with anyone, but trying to entertain) like she did while people are trying to eat dinner equals terrible entertainment in our eyes. It was so loud we couldnt even talk to each other. I understand its not always easy for a performer to know the sound levels, but seeing that she was walking around the place she obviously did.

Hopefully she is not wrongfully fired ... but I believe they need better entertainment in there.

mlayton14 said:
It was loud and in your face experience that totally took away the ambience that "should have been" at Ohana.

Well, for our family part of the ambience is the entertainer singing. We loved her!!

This is just so sad! We went there 2 years ago for my family's first trip and my DD princess: still remembers her and the great night we had. We will be there in Jan to celebrate DD7th B-day...it just won't be the same

We spoke again with Lipoa last night, and although she doesn't have a computer in her home, we told her of all the support that has been shown in this forum. She was very flattered. Of course, she also has a thick skin having worked in WDW for so long, so she knows she can't please everyone all of the time.

In any case, she has been encouraged by many of her family and friends to pursue legal action, and it looks like she finally will do so.

She did tell me that the photo was presented as the only grounds for her termination. No other complaints. And the photo was taken at such an awkward angle from the floor that her face was not even visible - Dave Venerables (Poly GM) had to have her verify that it was indeed her, and she did. The final decision came from California, not the Polynesian. She is still very stunned, but is doing some volunteer entertainment work at Orlando hospitals and still making children feel good.

She wanted me to thank everyone who has e-mailed on her behalf once again, and she says she will miss everyone and wishes everyone happy holidays.

Aloha

Having seen how Disney treats their employees, I can TOTALLY believe that this happened. They are unbelievable.

I hope that she does get legal representation; she should not only sue Disney for wrongful termination, but should also be pressing charges against the crazy guest. She was wearing the costume provided for her by Disney, and it's a very modest costume. In order for him to take the photo, he had to be doing something very inappropriate.

Poor lady...
Heather W

I am stunned! Anyone who knows Lipoa would know that she is a sweet, kind-hearted woman who truly enjoys her job. Logically, why after 11 years would she do something inappropriate? If it was in her nature, it would have surfaced long before now. Who's next - Art the Greeter at the BC? I would find any accusation against him just as ludicrous! Disney does cower to the threat of bad publicity and I know they show very little loyalty to employees so I have no problem believing that Lipoa is the victim here. She should seek legal representation and pursue a wrongful termination/sexual harassment claim as well as sue the guest. She may not win but at least she will make the guest's life difficult because he will have to pay out of his own pocket for attorney fees! Has she tried to get a job at the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal? We love that resort as well. (Must be something about the South Pacific theme!)

My e-mail has been sent!!!

Having previously worked in HR as well as the legal field I encourage her strongly to pursue this. If she gets to the appropriate people in HR at Disney (at corporate in CA) she should be able to do something about this, especially if the circumstances are indeed what has been said here.
Sue Ellen

alohaguy said:
She is still very stunned, but is doing some volunteer entertainment work at Orlando hospitals and still making children feel good.

I don't know if it's the holidays or what, but reading this just made me teary and then infuriated that disney would fire such a loyal, sweet employee. She obviously has a love for making children and others around her happy and it baffles me as to why disney would fire someone like that, I thought that was what they looked for in great CM's.

:furious: I hope she pursues legal action and I hope she wins her case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter