Entertainer at Poly Fired - Lipoa's Return!! & 'Ohana's changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sent off my e-mail, we really enjoyed her when we at Ohana in March. She encouraged our boys to get up and join in, very sweet.

Oh no! I was so looking forward to seeing her on our upcoming trip!

Just wanted to let everyone know I have added some photos of Lipoa to the original post ...

I just send an email out as well to the address that was provided. Thanks for telling the story. I remember her from our trip in August and she made Ohana's our favorite Disney restaurant. It would be sad to not see her in June when we go back! :guilty:

That is a crazy reason to be fired but I couldn't stand that woman. Her voice was like fingernails on a chalkboard. We thought she was the most annoying person we've ever seen. Sounds like there is a lot more to the story they we are hearing here anyway. If she was such a valued entertainer/employee they wouldn't have fired her for one incident. Perhaps she can get a job at Universal.

That is very sad, I will send and email stating that we really enjoyed her at the Poly and 'Ohana's on her behalf.

Sounds like there may have been no cover on the, um, ah, family board.....well, you know what I mean, non existent undergarments possibly?

Thanks on Lipoa's behalf to everyone who has e-mailed or written letters regarding her termination. I'm sure she will hear of the showing of support and be encouraged by the reaction.

dennis99ss - though I don't think too many details on the subject are really tasteful to discuss, I can say that she was wearing ALL appropriate clothing at the time of the incident (undergarments included.) I only mention this because when I spoke with Lipoa recently her sense of humor, at least, was still in tact - she made a brief tongue-in-cheek joke about the fact that she is not Britney Spears - she was dressed completely and appropriately. Those of you that know her will remember her for the classy, thoughtful, and generous person she is. But, obviously, she was not expecting to be photographed from the floor.

For many who visit WDW often, what is special about our trips are the people we encounter, time after time - sometimes more than the place itself. For those of you who consider the Polynesian to be a home away from home, I'm sure Lipoa was one of the faces you counted on seeing each time you came to WDW. In my opinion, it is the CM's like her that give WDW its magic. It's a shame to see her forced out.

I believe it is a very unfortunate incident, and for all of you who have taken a moment to show support, thank you.

susieq76 said:
With all due respect- is it possible there is more to this story? It just doesn't sound right...

I have to disagree with this comment - to me its sounds like a full story and Corporate America being scared as crap that they will get sued by the photog laying on the floor. The customer is already right is their thinking. (not mine)

Cindy's Mom said:
I have to disagree with this comment - to me its sounds like a full story and Corporate America being scared as crap that they will get sued by the photog laying on the floor. The customer is already right is their thinking. (not mine)

I as thinking the same - sad as it may be. Pathetic really.

I wondered where she was when we ate there last week. I really missed her...and I didn't have my kids with me. She was absolutely wonderful on our previous trip with our kids. Just the kindest, sweetes, most enthusiastic entertainer, I have seen. Our children enjoyed all of the activities and talking to her. What an absolute sham that she was fired. I can tell you the guy that filled in last week was not good. The entire atmosphere of the restaurant was affected by the lack of enthusiasm of the "fill in guy". Just wasn't the same at all. I will be emailing my letter to support her.

16641909.09a6d7.jpg

16641913.8f78f0.jpg

We :love: Lipoa. My daughter has an autographed menu hanging up. Lipoa had a way of making kids feel very special. O'hana won't be the same without her.

Lipoa, if you are reading this - you helped make our trips magical. Thanks for the pixie dust. You'll be missed.

Although I didn't know her, my guess is Disney didn't want another "character" incident. Wasn't it last year that a character was accused of inappropriate touching? Maybe this was along the same lines, and Disney didn't want any more bad press. You know how the press can twist things around. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, very sad to hear about this! If the story really is what we're hearing, I can't imagine how the man who took the photo actually has a case! (Doesn't she usually wear a fairly long dress? It would be hard to flash someone in that without it being obvious!) Sounds like the guy is flattering himself!

I'd be interested to hear Disney's response to all of this- one complaint from an obvious weirdo seems a very odd reason to fire someone who has been there for so long!

wdw poly princess - Just to clarify a little - Lipoa told me some of the details regarding how the picture had been taken, but they're not really all that relevant. Without going into unnecessary detail, she was kicking her legs slightly in time with her music when the photo was taken. And she does indeed wear long dresses that are nearly ankle length. So even with a leg lifted slightly in the air, it would require one to be literally laying on the ground to get an inappropriate photo.

THe whole thing is ludicrous in my opinion. But the bottom line, I believe, is that Disney was afraid of this guest going public, or pursuing legal action, and to avoid the problem entirely they simply made Lipoa the skapegoat. It is as if they disregarded the truth entirely and cowered in the face of potential bad publicity, or even the slightest perception of bad publicity. For what it's worth, this is Lipoa's belief as well.

Thanks again to all who have e-mailed and/or written to Disney expressing their thoughts regarding her termination.

I just sent them a note as well letting them know how much we have enjoyed Lipoa and asking them to consider doing what is necessary to have her back.

I'm truly bummed at the prospect of dinner at Ohana without her.... :sad2:

I am so sad to hear this...My dd loved her (and we loved that she was entertained!) I will definately write disney. I think they are very quick to terminate people. I have a friend who was a long term server at the nicer TS restaurants...he was fired for one incident of giving a friend of his a free glass of wine. I know that is completely different...but it seemed pretty steep punishment for one mistake. Anyway - I hope disney realized its mistake.

alohaguy said:
wdw poly princess - Just to clarify a little - Lipoa told me some of the details regarding how the picture had been taken, but they're not really all that relevant. Without going into unnecessary detail, she was kicking her legs slightly in time with her music when the photo was taken. And she does indeed wear long dresses that are nearly ankle length. So even with a leg lifted slightly in the air, it would require one to be literally laying on the ground to get an inappropriate photo.

I am also in HR and I work for an HR outsource firm and I carry a HUGE burden to protect my employees from being sexually harassed... by my clients. That is a growing area for litagation in the employment law arena and, seriously, if she has any inclination at all to pursue some legal action, she probably could, because she really should have a reasonable expectation of privacy which was unreasonably broached when the guest took pictures from that angle. EVEN IF SHE WAS NUDE UNDER HER SKIRT, it seems to me that in the long modest outfit she wears that she should have a reasonable expectation of privacy and that the guest was breaching that privacy. The guest might not have been sexually harassing her, but she would be within her rights to complain that security/ management did not protect her privacy-- and a pattern of not protecting it could = sexual harassment.

What a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter