Enough is enough... Disney Store open Thanksgiving night?

Does anyone know if it was just this store that was listed, or all disney stores that might be opening early? Thanks!

Should I feel bad about being at WDW on Thanksgiving?

Nope, but you should be very jolly and treat those working with respect. Let them know you appreciate their efforts!

I avoid black Friday (did it once, never again) as it is just not worth it, especially considering you can get the same or similar deals in December if you look hard enough. I do understand the thrill of the chase that is basically what black Friday is and wish luck to those that enjoy it. Keep shopping and let's keep the economy rolling.:good vibes

I will never step foot in a store on Thanksgiving or Christmas day (you know that is next). It is a family holiday and we choose to spend it that way. Of course I long for the days when stores were not open on Sundays too. I have fond memories of Sunday being the day that was for relaxing and family activities. We try to spend Sundays without rushing around,but like most others, it has become a normal day with way too much to accomplish.

With regards to the original post. The Disney store has to decide if not opening with everyone else can be done. I am guessing the potential lost revenue would be too severe and they will open like everyone else. remember that the first store opening on Thanksgiving was to get you in there before the others opened. Now it's just "see who can get you to their store first". I will be watching HS football in the morning, heading home for nice dinner with loved ones and then spending some relaxing family time with them all by the fire.

Black Friday shopping is a tradition for our family. But last year we didn't go because it was getting so ridiculous that stores were open on thanksgiving :( But on a good note JC Penny's is starting their snowglobes again this year :)
:laundy:

I used to Black Friday shop with family and loved it! I would wake up at 3am, get some coffee in me and home by 8am before the men in the family were awake. It was a wonderful tradition that went downhill when midnight openings started. Last year we all stayed up and the men tagged along for midnight openings but many deals were staggered throughout the evening and morning making shopping for a deal confusing and time consuming. Now some are opening earlier than midnight so we decided this year we will sleep in and enjoy our deals on cyber Monday. No more Black Friday or Thanksgiving shopping for our family.

I also wish retail stores would stay closed on Thanksgiving but it gets worse every year and I think it's unlikely to ever change back.

I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day.

Las Vegas is the same way, holidays and weekends are busy so we just expect to work.

Should I feel bad about being at WDW on Thanksgiving?

No, just be extra nice. It's frustrating to work Thanksgiving but not the end of the world.

Example: 2 years ago I worked a day shift on Thanksgiving while my dad, brother, sister and her family were at my house cooking and waiting for me, I was so annoyed I hated my job by the end of the day. On my drive home I stopped at a stoplight and a homeless guy with a sign asking for food walked by, it really put my day into perspective. I instantly went from annoyed with work to feeling blessed I had a job and was going home to a house filled with family and food.

Working Thanksgiving sucks but not working is worse.

Nope, but you should be very jolly and treat those working with respect. Let them know you appreciate their efforts!

Oh heck yes, I will bend over backwards for them. I am usually over the top nice to servers, but them taking care of me on Thanksgiving will lead to me being super extra nice to them.

I work in a financial institution. You'd be surprised at how many people get upset that we are not open on major holidays and Sundays. "What if I need money for shopping?" Really? Ever hear of an ATM?????? We are always open on Black Friday. Most people load up on money on Wednesday. The rest are at the doors right at opening on Friday. By 9am it's usually dead for the rest of the day.

Personally I don't have a problem with black Friday. The complaint was about working on thanksgiving. That's where I draw the line. Give people a freakin holiday.

Doorbusters start Thanksgiving Day at 5PM. :sad2:

View the full 28 page ad here: http://blackfriday.com/stores/toys-r-us/flyers/black-friday

First Page:
94a18a535313e5d3aeef4fd8.jpg

Last Page:
e774530d190670d7b97c567d.jpg

My experience I customer service is that EVERYONE has to work. Even if you are part time or if you said in your job interview that you can't work Fridays. It doesn't matter everyone works "Black Friday"

I like the idea of volunteers but nobody probably would. Or at least not enough. I quit one job cause they tried to make me work Christmas when I was a teenager. I didn't NEED the job and they were over staffed. But it makes it fare if everyone has to work I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Black Friday is not a holiday and anyone working in retail should expect to work that day. I do think stores should ask for volunteers first for working on actual holidays. The stores I worked in were never open on Thanksgiving, but I would have volunteered to work if they were. Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving the same way.

I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day. I was a CM for nearly 12 years. I remember my first couple of years, I worked EVERY major holiday. I don't think most guests who decide to vacation over holidays really appreciate the cast members who are there ....and that they have to miss time away from their own family's to make guests holidays magical.

I guess some don't realize that we have "dealt with big business" on holidays for ever. Amusement parks, hotels, movie theaters, gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores have been open on Holidays for as long as I can remember. Now that some stores decide to be open its a travesty? Where was the outrage for the last few decades for everyone else that had to work?

I'm usually a 100% advocate for better treatment of all Disney workers... But I don't see the "outrage" angle here.

Ground zero for all Disney employees is the cash register at the giftshop...anybody with a ganglion can see that in about 4 seconds after they first put on the nametag.

If there are sales to be made...it's part of the deal.

The longest/busiest/hardest days on the Disney parks calendar are Christmas, New Years, thanksgiving, and July 4th...in that order.
You don't get normalcy when there's junk to sell. That is what it is.

Black Friday really no longer exists. All stores are opening on Thanksgiving now. It went from 6am on Black Friday a few years ago, to 4am, to midnight, to 10pm on Thanksgiving and now we're down to Thanksgiving afternoon. It's a disgusting trend that has no end in sight and really is a reflection of how we're deteriorating as a society. Our priorities are all out of whack. People really would rather fight vicious (people have been trampled and killed on Black Friday after all) masses to save 20 bucks on something than spend precious time with loved ones? IMO, those people I see waiting outside the Best Buys, Walmarts, Toys R Us', etc. early in the day every year on Thanksgiving while on my way to my cousin's house must be living a sad, pathetic existence if that's where they are choosing to be.

I keep reading and I guess I don't get what the big deal is working on a holiday after all I've worked a holiday for the last 25 yrs. this year I get to work Christmas Day for the first time my children will have to wait until the late afternoon to open presents (usually I work evening shift on x-mas) when you choose to work in certain jobs it's the price you pay if you don't like it don't work there! And there are some religions that don't celebrate certain holidays so they should have to sit home and watch tv or not work because others do celebrate maybe it's more convenient for them to shop that day, I think it great that some stores now give you the option to shop on holidays because in my job we can't say close the hospital it's a holiday everyone stay home if your sick come tomorrow and if your already in the hospital well sorry call your families to come take care of you because we'd love to stay home with our families!

Many people work holidays so do I feel bad about shopping on Black Friday? No. My dad was a firefighter my mom does ECGs in the hospital so when I was a kid they weren't home on a lot of the holidays and guess what? We celebrated a day late or early or whatever and it worked fine. After all my mom couldn't tell people to have heart attacks on another day please or my dad refuse to fight a fire because it was Christmas.

Black Friday really no longer exists. All stores are opening on Thanksgiving now. It went from 6am on Black Friday a few years ago, to 4am, to midnight, to 10pm on Thanksgiving and now we're down to Thanksgiving afternoon. It's a disgusting trend that has no end in sight and really is a reflection of how we're deteriorating as a society. Our priorities are all out of whack. People really would rather fight vicious (people have been trampled and killed on Black Friday after all) masses to save 20 bucks on something than spend precious time with loved ones? IMO, those people I see waiting outside the Best Buys, Walmarts, Toys R Us', etc. early in the day every year on Thanksgiving while on my way to my cousin's house must be living a sad, pathetic existence if that's where they are choosing to be.

It is kind of sad you are judging a bunch of people you don't know by how they chose to shop. Many people have worked for years on the holiday, why shouldn't the rest of their family go and shop? Or maybe they are on a limited budget, and shopping on Thursday/Friday is the best way to stretch their money as far as it can go?

I have to ask too, do you think it is sad and pathetic that people go to Disney World on holidays, thereby forcing others to work??? Maybe they should close the parks so that their CMs can spend the holidays with their families. :rolleyes2

What a sad and pathetic judgmental statement to make, you dont' know anything about those people you saw there.
Not everyone's time with family is precious.
Some families (like mine) don't get together on Thanksgiving, we celebrate on a different day.
Some families shop together, and that is a precious tradition to them.
Not everyone has to celebrate the way you do for the Holiday to mean something to them. And just because they aren't spending the day together doesn't mean they don't have their own "precious" time with eachother.

It is kind of sad you are judging a bunch of people you don't know by how they chose to shop.

Yes, this.

Do you know who their relatives are? How many relatives they have, and where they live? What they did with the rest of their day? What are their plans for tomorrow? How do they feel about Thanksgiving? How did they experience Thanksgiving growing up - if they experienced it at all? Are they allowed to care about it less than you do - and if so, does that automatically make them bad people?

Right. Maybe their spouses are in public safety, for example and have to work, so they're not celebrating Thanksgiving until Friday night or Saturday. Why not go shopping overnight, if that floats your boat? Just because they aren't with family at the exact moment you are doesn't mean they won't have family time. If you think shopping on or around holidays is bad, then don't do it ... but don't presuppose you know anything about people who do!

It is kind of sad you are judging a bunch of people you don't know by how they chose to shop. Many people have worked for years on the holiday, why shouldn't the rest of their family go and shop? Or maybe they are on a limited budget, and shopping on Thursday/Friday is the best way to stretch their money as far as it can go?

I have to ask too, do you think it is sad and pathetic that people go to Disney World on holidays, thereby forcing others to work??? Maybe they should close the parks so that their CMs can spend the holidays with their families. :rolleyes2

I do actually find it odd that people would want to be at WDW on an actual holiday like Thanksgiving (if you're American), or Christmas and Easter (if you're Christian - and believe me, I'm not a religious person at all either). I just think those days are meant to be spent with family. I've always wanted to go to WDW during December to see all the decorations and all....but I would never want to be there on Christmas Day - so I'd have no issue if they closed the parks.

I do actually find it odd that people would want to be at WDW on an actual holiday like Thanksgiving (if you're American), or Christmas and Easter (if you're Christian - and believe me, I'm not a religious person at all either). I just think those days are meant to be spent with family. I've always wanted to go to WDW during December to see all the decorations and all....but I would never want to be there on Christmas Day - so I'd have no issue if they closed the parks.

I will be at WDW for thanksgiving, and get this...i will be with my family and I am American. Is isn't about where you spends a holiday it is about who you spend it with.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I worked in a buying office as an assistant buyer years ago, and our office (and corporate headquarters) were open on Black Friday....

my sister in law was a director in the buying office of a major department store chain in NYC. They close the office on black friday. BUT NO ONE gets off- they send everyone to work at a mall shop someone- they dont know anything about working a cash register or stocking that stores shelves so they basically just fold clothes and bag them for the person running the register. It's totally stupid financially that people that might cost the company 100 bucks an hr in salery and benefits are folding socks. But i think it's more about "we're all in this together, no one is shirking their duty to work that day"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter