Enough is enough... Disney Store open Thanksgiving night?

All WDW employees, everyone at all airlines and hotels everywhere, convenience stores / gas stations, not to mention the doctors, police, EMTs, etc. Lots and lots of people work holidays.

I work retail, and although I haven't had to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas yet, I've worked pretty much every Black Friday Christmas Eve, and "Boxing Day." Tradition is just another word for routine. When you've worked dozens of Christmas Eves, work is just another thing you do on that day.

boiler operator's, security guards, bakers, etc, etc. there's tons of them when you think about it.

I do actually find it odd that people would want to be at WDW on an actual holiday like Thanksgiving (if you're American), or Christmas and Easter (if you're Christian - and believe me, I'm not a religious person at all either). I just think those days are meant to be spent with family. I've always wanted to go to WDW during December to see all the decorations and all....but I would never want to be there on Christmas Day - so I'd have no issue if they closed the parks.

It's always hard to judge people's meanings on the internet without seeing them in person but this thread sure seems to have it's share of judgmental posts...

Myself, "As an American" I find it way more offensive that as a country we consider Memorial Day the start of summer, a great time to have a 3 days weekend, and a day to barbecue rather than thing about it's real meaning. I'd rather complain that nothing closes that day then worry about people vacationing or shopping on Thanksgiving, or any particular religion's holidays (even if it happens to be mine).

(and memorial day isn't the only one)

I do actually find it odd that people would want to be at WDW on an actual holiday like Thanksgiving (if you're American), or Christmas and Easter (if you're Christian - and believe me, I'm not a religious person at all either). I just think those days are meant to be spent with family. I've always wanted to go to WDW during December to see all the decorations and all....but I would never want to be there on Christmas Day - so I'd have no issue if they closed the parks.

Two years ago we spent Thanksgiving at WDW. Three generations in a Treehouse Villa. We cooked a turkey and all the trimmings in our room and invited the neighbors up for pie and the kids gave turkey sandwiches (we were right next to bus stop) to the bus drivers when the buses came through. Family, fun, and Disney. My nieces voted it the best Thanksgiving ever, and they'll always remember the year we had a turkey at Disney.

There are several angles on holidays at wdw.

One is "we would spend just as much anyway at home...might as well go to Florida"...that one is particularly for Christmas...

Some people swap the trip for the junk... I guess I can see that.

The one I find laughable is that you can get "both" a holly jolly christmas, thanksgiving, whatever and a week of summer at the same time.
The crowds and prices (since they went to over screw during holidays) negates any positives of the "get away" Holiday...my opinion.

I always thought the reason Caribbean beach was full was because people trick themselves I to thinking they're getting the magic kingdom AND Aruba in one shot... Laughable.

Or "luxury" at the grand Floridian... Even more laughable. But I digress...

Holidays aren't better in Disney world...much worse.
But again...it must be working cause they charge double and pack em in.

Not for me.

There are several angles on holidays at wdw.

One is "we would spend just as much anyway at home...might as well go to Florida"...that one is particularly for Christmas...

Some people swap the trip for the junk... I guess I can see that.

The one I find laughable is that you can get "both" a holly jolly christmas, thanksgiving, whatever and a week of summer at the same time.
The crowds and prices (since they went to over screw during holidays) negates any positives of the "get away" Holiday...my opinion.

I always thought the reason Caribbean beach was full was because people trick themselves I to thinking they're getting the magic kingdom AND Aruba in one shot... Laughable.

Or "luxury" at the grand Floridian... Even more laughable. But I digress...

Holidays aren't better in Disney world...much worse.
But again...it must be working cause they charge double and pack em in.

Not for me.

Good for you that is not for you. But why are you judging others, they sure don't seem to be judging you. Everyone does what they want to do on the holidays. Some people might not have family to spend time with and this might be the best way for them to be spending the holidays. Don't judge other people when you have no idea why they are doing what they are doing. JMOHO

Laura

Two years ago we spent Thanksgiving at WDW. Three generations in a Treehouse Villa. We cooked a turkey and all the trimmings in our room and invited the neighbors up for pie and the kids gave turkey sandwiches (we were right next to bus stop) to the bus drivers when the buses came through. Family, fun, and Disney. My nieces voted it the best Thanksgiving ever, and they'll always remember the year we had a turkey at Disney.

What a wonderful way to spend the holidays with all your family. I am sure those bus drivers thought you all were angels. What a thoughtful thing to do.

Laura

Good for you that is not for you. But why are you judging others, they sure don't seem to be judging you. Everyone does what they want to do on the holidays. Some people might not have family to spend time with and this might be the best way for them to be spending the holidays. Don't judge other people when you have no idea why they are doing what they are doing. JMOHO

Laura

It's an opinion board...and that's my opinion.

I've seen/done this thing from all conceivable angles at this point.

The worst thing people can do is expect to much out of a week at wdw (and I recognize that is tough with the money involved)

This happens during these holiday weeks more than anytime.

Just my opinion. Your disagreement is warranted/encouraged.

But at the same time...we live in a world where substance has taken a backseat to "how" you say it...and that's off.

I don't sugar it...I'm wrong sometimes if not often...but I'm not gonna "aww schucks" it.

Used to...won't now. Not trying to be offensive...it just is what it is.

I don't usually like to involve myself with these kinds of debates however being in the military compels me to respond. Shopping on Black Friday is certainly a choice and I agree with most on that however choose your job choose your fate. I've worked every holiday you can imagine, It sucks but it comes with the territory of the job I have chose, that's it nothing more. Your in a money making business it's about nothing else, if people want to shop then they will open their doors. On another note, Disney on holidays is super special, I don't agree with some who say you should be home,
I've had some pretty amazing family times celebrating in Disney. To each their own I guess! Xoxoxo love:Disney:anytime

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I work every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day. I am a waitress. the days of the only restaurant open on Christmas day being the Chinese rest. (like the movie Christmas Story) are long gone.

however, restaurants have always long been open on Mother's day, easter, father's day. ever think when you were a kid that the waitress was a mom?

my family gets together on a dif. day to celebrate. at least my sons don't have to argue with their wives about which family to be with!;)

if a restaurant is open, don't feel bad about going. the staff is working, whether you are there or not. they might as well make some money!

I like it because usually people tip generously, being the holiday and all.:thumbsup2 I would rather be home, but this is my job. I knew it going in.

so, if no one wants to cook, consider dining at a restaurant this thanksgiving! those of us who are there anyways appreciate your business! happy thanksgiving!

Best holidays I have ever had (as a kid and now as an adult with kids of my own) are ones when I'm traveling. Easier to unwind and connect as a family. We have been at DL and Aulani for Thanksgiving (DL Hotel's Grand Thanksgiving Buffet is amazing) as well as Hawaii for Thanksgiving and Christmas before. For a number of years when I was a child my family (parents, grandparents, etc) did smaller local vacations (now termed staycations I believe :P ) for Thanksgiving just because it was nice to get away and took a load off from anyone hosting it so I guess I have never focused on the holiday specifics and instead like to focus on quality family time wherever we happen to be.

my sister in law was a director in the buying office of a major department store chain in NYC. They close the office on black friday. BUT NO ONE gets off- they send everyone to work at a mall shop someone- they dont know anything about working a cash register or stocking that stores shelves so they basically just fold clothes and bag them for the person running the register. It's totally stupid financially that people that might cost the company 100 bucks an hr in salary and benefits are folding socks. But i think it's more about "we're all in this together, no one is shirking their duty to work that day"

Not really; as they are salaried, if they have a project that has a deadline, they will still need to meet the deadline; they will just do it when not in the office OR in the mall store; that is part of the bargain. Salaried employees are paid for the result we deliver, rather than the hours we put in. Salaried employees also don't have to be paid overtime, so they can work all weekend and still show up when the office opens on Monday, not having cost the company an extra cent.

I'm not in retail, but the practice of putting corporate HQ employees into stores on BF makes perfect sense when you remember what Black Friday REALLY is, a day that is supposed to be pure profit. If a store model has weaknesses, this is the day that they will show up, and having corporate staff there to see the traffic and consumer behavior first-hand is invaluable intelligence. (It also, perhaps not coincidentally, keeps them from spending their own money in a competitor's store that day.)

I think it's crazy too and feel bad for the employees.....but think about the Disney resorts. They operate every day. I was a CM for nearly 12 years. I remember my first couple of years, I worked EVERY major holiday. I don't think most guests who decide to vacation over holidays really appreciate the cast members who are there ....and that they have to miss time away from their own family's to make guests holidays magical.

People that go to work at Disney World know that it is open every day of the year. People that work as nurses (like my daughter) in a hospital, know that it operates 24/7. Somebody that went and got a job at the Disney Store 2 years ago probably never expected it to be open on Thanksgiving Day.

Just wait, 5 years or less and stores will be open on Christmas Day too.

I work every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day. I am a waitress. the days of the only restaurant open on Christmas day being the Chinese rest. (like the movie Christmas Story) are long gone.

however, restaurants have always long been open on Mother's day, easter, father's day. ever think when you were a kid that the waitress was a mom?

my family gets together on a dif. day to celebrate. at least my sons don't have to argue with their wives about which family to be with!;)

if a restaurant is open, don't feel bad about going. the staff is working, whether you are there or not. they might as well make some money!

I like it because usually people tip generously, being the holiday and all.:thumbsup2 I would rather be home, but this is my job. I knew it going in.

so, if no one wants to cook, consider dining at a restaurant this thanksgiving! those of us who are there anyways appreciate your business! happy thanksgiving!

We went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner last year, the tip we left was more than double what we would normally tip because we wanted to thank the Server for being there.

Bravo to P.C. Richard & Son (a major electronics and appliance retailer in the Northeast with 66 locations). Here is the ad they have put in area newspapers:

Save-Thanksgiving-Page-740x900.jpg

Another post where people need to learn to "mind yo own"

::yes::

Don't want to shop on Thanksgiving? Don't. Simple.

As for this being sprung on anyone, the writing has been on the wall for the last few years. It came as no surprise to me that I am now working on Thanksgiving. My family will enjoy our dinner together on Saturday, just as much as we would have on Thursday. Our time together is not somehow less important because we dine together 2 days later.

And I truly hope that no one who runs PC Richard and Sons plans on watching football on Thanksgiving. Or doing anything else that means that they are taking advantage of the labor of others. Hope none of them go to Disney World either.

I'd love to know how many of those 3000 PC Richard's employees getting the day off to "keep family first" plan on going shopping Thanksgiving night. :laughing:

I'd love to know how many of those 3000 PC Richard's employees getting the day off to "keep family first" plan on going shopping Thanksgiving night. :laughing:

Or if opening at 4 am on Friday cuts into the family time cause the have to go to sleep at 5 pm?

This is an article from our local Cincinnati Enquirer... It says Macy's opening up on Thanksgiving night is causing all of our local malls to open at 8 PM on Thanksgiving night. And in that mix, the Disney Store indiciated it hasn't yet decided on opening at midnight...

Can't we have a couple days a year where we don't have to deal with big business?!?!?!?:confused3

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131101/BIZ/311010142/Exclusive-Malls-opening-doors-Thanksgiving

FBFW, this is the national trend in retail... Most blame Walmart for really leading the way on this. This year those not opening on Thursday night are the minority.

FBFW, this is the national trend in retail... Most blame Walmart for really leading the way on this. This year those not opening on Thursday night are the minority.
The many blaming Walmart would be misguided. Kmart has been opening on Thanksgiving DAY for about 20 years.

But the real 'blame' should be ascribed to the consumers - some of whom start waiting as much as a week in advance, no matter what time the stores opened.

I'm not actually boycotting any store but I have no intention of going shopping on Thanksgiving Day. However, I have made note of stores in my area that have not followed the trend of being open on Thanksgiving and am making plans to focus my holiday shopping there as my thanks. REI, I'll be seeing you this Wednesday. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter