England & France: Cities of Knights & Lights (London & Paris) Meets Thread

AZ Mom said:
You can add us to the roll call for May 20th! It's me, DH, DS1 (20), and DS2 (18). 3rd ABD trip and 1st time to London & Paris.

That's around the same time we went last year! What a wonderful trip! We loved it !

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks for all your kind words. I look forward to travelling with AJMlovesRLM's family. Glad my DS and DD will not be the only young people in the group.

Hi everyone. I am thinking about going on this ABD trip, right after I graduate from college. I had a few questions:

1. I would love to visit Highclere Castle in England(where Downton Abbey films). Is it possible to visit the castle on the trip, even though it is not on the itinerary?

2. I have certain dietary restrictions- I eat kosher. Anyone have any experience with something like this on an ABD trip?

3. On day 2 (I would be going on the trip where day 2 is a Saturday), I would not be able to travel with the group because of the Sabbath. Would you say that I am missing out on a lot because I will not be able to participate that day? Also, is the hotel centrally located, so I can take my own little walking tour?

4. When leaving France to travel back to the US, did you arrive at the airport late in the afternoon on Friday? Is there any way to schedule an earlier flight(I will be traveling back to NYC)?

5. Since I do not have a lot of experience traveling in general(especially by myself), I never really felt comfortable to travel outside of the US(I do not even have a passport yet!) But after I heard about ABD, I knew I had to look into it. Would you say this is a great "beginner" trip? I was thinking about going on the Galapagos Island trip, but I thought it may be a bit too adventurous for a first time trip.

Also, would you say the hotels are located in good, safe areas? I will be traveling by myself, so I want to make sure that I will be ok on my own.

I hope these questions are not too strange. Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone. I am thinking about going on this ABD trip, right after I graduate from college. I had a few questions:

1. I would love to visit Highclere Castle in England(where Downton Abbey films). Is it possible to visit the castle on the trip, even though it is not on the itinerary? Highclere is about an hour and a half by car from the London Hotel, and about 2 and a half hours from the Foxhills hotel. You do have a free half day in London, but from what I can tell, no real free time in the "English Countryside". If you can work out the transportation to get yourself there & back in half a day, you can certainly do so. In fact, you're free to skip any part of the tour if you want, but there is no compensation for that, and while the Adventure Guides will help you figure things out, they can't actually arrange the transportation for you.

2. I have certain dietary restrictions- I eat kosher. Anyone have any experience with something like this on an ABD trip? I've had people on ABDs I've been on eat Gluten Free, and I myself have issues with certain foods, as I'm diabetic and have reflux. The Guides are great at arranging that sort of thing. Kosher would be a lot harder, especially depending on how strictly you keep kosher. If you can get by just by not mixing meat & dairy,(or not eating fleshig at all) you'll be fine. If you need Glatt kosher, that might be too much to ask in some locations. (You're moving around a bit for frozen meals to be an option for all meals). I would call ABD and ask them. You can't be the first person who keeps kosher who has taken an ABD.

3. On day 2 (I would be going on the trip where day 2 is a Saturday), I would not be able to travel with the group because of the Sabbath. Would you say that I am missing out on a lot because I will not be able to participate that day? Also, is the hotel centrally located, so I can take my own little walking tour? Yes, you would be missing a lot, but there's really no days on this tour where you won't be missing something. Day 2 is the antique double-decker bus, Westminster Abbey, and the typical London tourist things. It's hard to do an ABD and not miss *something* with the Sabbath mixed in there. At least you won't be missing out on the welcome dinner Friday night, because that's all at the hotel. Oh, but if day 2 is the Sabbath, that negates #1 above. Day 2 would be your only chance to see Highclere during the trip. You could always come in a day or 2 early to check out Highclere. I always recommend coming in early to get over jetlag.

They are using a new hotel in London this year (the "usual" hotel is being renovated) so I don't know how centrally located the new hotel is. The old one was *very* well located for walking around. I'd call ABD (or send the hotel an email) to find out about that.

4. When leaving France to travel back to the US, did you arrive at the airport late in the afternoon on Friday? Is there any way to schedule an earlier flight(I will be traveling back to NYC)? The ABD ends after breakfast. They will transport you to the airport pretty much whatever time you need to leave to get there for your flight, so yes, you can schedule early flights. I'd check with ABD if there's an earliest flight time, but I've seen them pick folks up at 6am for a flight on other trips. Just know that Charles de Gaulle is a horrid, HORRID airport, so leave yourself LOADS of time to catch your flight.

5. Since I do not have a lot of experience traveling in general(especially by myself), I never really felt comfortable to travel outside of the US(I do not even have a passport yet!) But after I heard about ABD, I knew I had to look into it. Would you say this is a great "beginner" trip? I was thinking about going on the Galapagos Island trip, but I thought it may be a bit too adventurous for a first time trip.

Also, would you say the hotels are located in good, safe areas? I will be traveling by myself, so I want to make sure that I will be ok on my own.

I hope these questions are not too strange. Thank you in advance!
I've traveled solo with ABD 4 times (#5 set for May!). It's an amazing way to travel solo, because even though you're on your own, you're not alone (unless you want to be) and you have the Adventure Guides to run everything, help you, answer your questions, and just make it as smooth as possible.

ABD's hotels are, in my experience, in very good neighborhoods, and in safe areas. The Guides will let you know if there's any issues with that, but the hotel in Paris is in a VERY nice neighborhood, walking distance to the Champs Elysees and the Arc du Triomphe.

Knights and Lights would be a good "beginner trip" as long as you do your homework and learn about things like currency exchange and power adapters, etc. *Personally*, I'd start with one of the domestic trips, just because traveling to a foreign country can be intimidating, but if you're going to do go international, ABD is the way to go.

Feel free to ask any & all questions you may have. I totally encourage people to get out there & travel, and ABD is a fabulous way to do it, especially for a solo traveler.

Sayhello

sayhello said:
I believe I heard that the switch from the Chancery Court was due to refurbishing being done there. I don't know anything about the Landmark London Hotel.

Sayhello

Heard from an ABD guide that the Landmark is supposedly very lovely!

We're arriving 2 days early. Should I book our room through our travel agent, Disney or the hotel directly? I'm assuming we're responsible for our own transportation from the airport if we arrive early. Is this correct? Any info on VAT refunds, paperwork? I'd rather delay than wait in long lines.

Thanks for any insight.

We're arriving 2 days early. Should I book our room through our travel agent, Disney or the hotel directly? I'm assuming we're responsible for our own transportation from the airport if we arrive early. Is this correct? Any info on VAT refunds, paperwork? I'd rather delay than wait in long lines.

Thanks for any insight.

We are also arriving 2 days early, I figured I would be responsible for transfers but I guess it would not hurt to ask.

If you want to stay at the Landmark it is $1300 for 2 nights, there is no way I was going to pay that so we are staying at a apartment a few blocks away that I found at Expedia.

I believe ABD will provide transportation if you book your pre (or post) nights through them. If you book them on your own, you will need to arrange your own transportation.:). We booked a post-night in Paris through ABD, and they will get us to the airport.

Thanks for any insight.
If you book your pre-days through ABD, they will provide your transportation to the hotel. Same for post-days; if you book them through ABD, they will provide transportation to the airport. If you book the hotel on your own, then you're responsible for your own transportation.

As far as VAT refunds are concerned, if you go to Harrod's, they will offer to refund your VAT for any purchases you made there. Be aware (as I was not) that they charge you 33% of your refund for this "service"!

The VAT refund line at CDG was ages and ages long. I didn't even bother. You *can*, if you get the right paperwork, apply for it by mail once you get home.

I believe ABD will provide transportation if you book your pre (or post) nights through them. If you book them on your own, you will need to arrange your own transportation.:). We booked a post-night in Paris through ABD, and they will get us to the airport.
That is correct. :)

I would love to do this trip!:)
You really should do it! :thumbsup2 It's a fabulous trip!

Sayhello

We are doing this trip this year :banana:. Can anyone give me any tips? we are also doing a post stay through ABD at Disneyland Paris. If anyone has been there while on this trip, I would appreciate any tips or info you can give me. Thanks

guess1928 said:
We are doing this trip this year :banana:. Can anyone give me any tips? we are also doing a post stay through ABD at Disneyland Paris. If anyone has been there while on this trip, I would appreciate any tips or info you can give me. Thanks

Comfy shoes. Adapters for electrical outlets. A nice outfit for the final dinner. A small tote to bring essentials for the mornings you need to leave your luggage early to go to your next hotel.
And most importantly: HAVE FUN !!!!!!!

Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know how to register for "roll call" for the May 20-27, 2013 ABD Tour/London and Paris. My DH and I finally bit the bullet and are taking our dream trip. We're arriving a day early (pre-night through ABD) and was hoping to "meet" other guests prior to departing on our trip.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to know how to register for "roll call" for the May 20-27, 2013 ABD Tour/London and Paris. My DH and I finally bit the bullet and are taking our dream trip. We're arriving a day early (pre-night through ABD) and was hoping to "meet" other guests prior to departing on our trip.
I've added you to the Roll Call in the first post! Welcome to the ABD Forum. :goodvibes AZ Mom and her family are traveling on the same trip as you! Hopefully she'll chime in here.

It's a great trip. You're going to love it!

Sayhello

Hi, hdry! ABD does a great job and they take care of everything. This is our 3rd trip with them. We're also going a day early and hope to see the British Museum the first day. Get ready, you're going to have a blast--Disney guides are the best! If you have any questions, SayHello did this trip last year (definitely read her wonderful trip report) and Singing Mom was there as well, so between all of us "old timers" we should be able to answer any questions you might have. Welcome aboard and we'll see you soon!!

AZ Mom said:
Hi, hdry! ABD does a great job and they take care of everything. This is our 3rd trip with them. We're also going a day early and hope to see the British Museum the first day. Get ready, you're going to have a blast--Disney guides are the best! If you have any questions, SayHello did this trip last year (definitely read her wonderful trip report) and Singing Mom was there as well, so between all of us "old timers" we should be able to answer any questions you might have. Welcome aboard and we'll see you soon!!

Absolutely! Ask away! Lol We had a wonderful time in May. We still keep in touch with a number of our fellow travelers. It was our first trip to Europe and we can't wait to pick another tour for this year! London and Paris with Disney was magical!! If I can answer any questions, let me know! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Absolutely! Ask away! Lol We had a wonderful time in May. We still keep in touch with a number of our fellow travelers. It was our first trip to Europe and we can't wait to pick another tour for this year! London and Paris with Disney was magical!! If I can answer any questions, let me know! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Same here! :thumbsup2 Ask away!

Sayhello

We are going on the 6/28/13 London and Paris trip. We are now PIF and we are very excited! :banana: We are starting to think about things we will need to pack. Looking at some trip report pictures, it looks like we have to dress for dinner every night. Is that correct? How dressy do we need to plan for? TIA

We are going on the 6/28/13 London and Paris trip. We are now PIF and we are very excited! :banana: We are starting to think about things we will need to pack. Looking at some trip report pictures, it looks like we have to dress for dinner every night. Is that correct? How dressy do we need to plan for? TIA
I wouldn't say every night, although people were at least dressed "nicely". I think it was a function of being in London & Paris more than a requirement. :) I wouldn't plan anything less than business casual, except for dinner on your own.

The itinerary is a bit different now (we didn't go to Windsor and Stonehenge, so I can't comment on those). I think most nights were "business casual" or "nice". The only really fancy night was the farewell dinner at LaDuree. I would say none of them were touring casual (T-shirts, shorts, etc) unless you chose to eat at a casual place during your on-your-own time.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need more specifics.
It was also on the cool side most of the time we were there (it was September) so we didn't do much shorts wearing anyways.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter