Ellen

I take delighted glee watching her make people look ridiculous, apparently many others do too since it’s a very popular show. Comedy should make you cringe and feel uncomfortable, the same way horror movies should make you scared. You might prefer a Johnny Carson talk show host.
Wow That's not the way I see comedy at all, not even close. I find that when someone is being hurt, scared, embarrassed, or humiliated, my response is empathy. I worry if the "victim" of the joke or prank is OK, and I don't want to join in with laughing at them. If YOU enjoy laughing at other people's misfortune, that's you. But it's not the definition of comedy. I happen to like comedy without cruelty.

(not sure why you threw Johnny Carson in there, that seems random)

Wow That's not the way I see comedy at all, not even close. I find that when someone is being hurt, scared, embarrassed, or humiliated, my response is empathy. I worry if the "victim" of the joke or prank is OK, and I don't want to join in with laughing at them. If YOU enjoy laughing at other people's misfortune, that's you. But it's not the definition of comedy. I happen to like comedy without cruelty.

I love Sacha Baron Cohen, many do, many do not (his This is America series was one of my favorites). I like comedic series like Girls, Curb your Enthusias, even The Office, with a lot of uncomfortable comedy. There is light comedy, dark comedy, everything in between. To me, Ellen is on the sweet harmless level.

Her crying inside her mansion while quarantined turned me off more. And I’ve heard that she’s awful and none of the allegations surprise me.

She left a bad taste in my mouth several years ago with her rescue dog debacle.
Yes! That is when I stopped watching her show. She broke the rules she agreed to and then destroyed that shelter with her show antics.

I went back and looked it up, that was in 2007.
I didn't have any knowledge of this, so I Googled. This is the less biased but still clearly negative article I found.

But for the record, Mutts & Moms has existed (seemingly without interruption) since 2004 - with one of the original owners currently as it's president. So I'm :confused3 as to how the shelter was destroyed?

Wow That's not the way I see comedy at all, not even close.
That's fine. @mjkacmom isn't you. Woe that there were merely a single sense of humor in the world.
I find that when someone is being hurt, scared, embarrassed, or humiliated, my response is empathy.
Okay, you're not amused. Others are. I'll give you hurt. Nobody should be injured, either intentionally or accidentally. But scared, embarrassed, humiliated? I have little empathy for a celebrity who appears in her show over 15 years in, but doesn't know or doesn't expect that she might scare them. But audience members and show contestants volunteer (mostly; I'm watching a 12/19 rerun right now where she started by asking the audience to raise their hands of they like to dance - and then stated she is choosing the man who didn't raise his hand). It's entirely reasonable to expect them to know what might happen.

Probably used as example of popular, mostly non-controversial talk show.

I didn't have any knowledge of this, so I Googled. This is the less biased but still clearly negative article I found.

But for the record, Mutts & Moms has existed (seemingly without interruption) since 2004 - with one of the original owners currently as it's president. So I'm :confused3 as to how the shelter was destroyed?

They recovered, but she tried to make herself look like the do-gooder and basically tried to make them look like evil puppy snatchers on national television, meanwhile that is a pretty standard contract for most rescues and shelters in the US that they were complying with. Rescues have those contracts to prevent dogs being "flipped" (adopted and then sold for a profit) as well as trying to prevent going to an inappropriate or abusive home or ending up as bait dogs. She both failed to comprehend the contract as well as did not give the dog adequate time to adjust -- plus didn't ask the rescue for help or advice, just re-adopted the dog to someone else without their knowledge. I think she learned she was wrong afterward, but not before spotlighting it on her national show complete with tears. I can understand not understanding why the contract is written that way, but I was put off by her making it into a big thing on her show.

According to Inside Edition today, no celebrities, aside from Ellen's wife Portia and a celebrity manager, Scooter Braun, whose clients, Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande have both appeared on DeGeneres’ show numerous times over the years, are sticking up for Ellen. Meanwhile, celebs like Lea Thompson, Brad Garrett & Dakota Johnson are saying it's true she is mean. Inside Edition says the silence from all the celebs speaks volumes.

I think she learned she was wrong afterward, but not before spotlighting it on her national show complete with tears. I can understand not understanding why the contract is written that way, but I was put off by her making it into a big thing on her show.

This video clip was actually linked to in the article linked above. It shows the moment of Ellen breaking down and crying and begging on TV for them to give the dog back.

Also in the article linked above, it says:

"Germane to this synopsis is the resultant vitriol that drove the HUMANS involved to such an impasse that rational negotiation on Iggy’s behalf became impossible. Mutts & Moms failed to give the hairdresser’s family its fullest consideration as legitimate adopters, and used its legal leverage to remove Iggy from a home where he was wanted. DeGeneres used the full extent of her celebrity to ignite a fan-based frenzy that resulted in death threats to the impoverished owners of Mutts & Moms. In addition, Baktis and Chekroun have likely lost their animal rescue business and small store. An online petition to Free Iggy has been launched by Ellen’s supporters, while an earlier online petition, which asked petitioners not to adopt from animal rescue organizations until Iggy is returned, has rightfully been taken down.

Still the saddest repercussion of all is the potential for tens of thousands of dogs and cats to go unadopted, and to be euthanized, due to the anger engendered toward rescue groups as a result of this debacle."​

According to Inside Edition today, no celebrities, aside from Ellen's wife Portia and a celebrity manager, Scooter Braun, whose clients, Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande have both appeared on DeGeneres’ show numerous times over the years, are sticking up for Ellen. Meanwhile, celebs like Lea Thompson, Brad Garrett & Dakota Johnson are saying it's true she is mean. Inside Edition says the silence from all the celebs speaks volumes.

She lost the bulk of her base supporters on October 6th.

In video above Dakota seemed to over react, seemed like Ellen was joking about not being invited and it flopped and Dakota seemed enraged was over reacting imo. Sometimes it seems like Ellen gets uncomfortable with people. I am not saying it is true or not but she always seemed nice whenever I watched her but like I said, sometimes she seems shy or not know what to say and that sometimes flops.

Interesting that Scooter Braun came to her defense. Bieber made his debut on her show before his first album was released. Why on earth I know that, I have no idea.

Entertainment Tonight says a few celebs have finally come forward to speak up for Ellen: Ashton Kutcher, Katy Perry, Kevin Hart & Jerry O'Connell. Although, some undisclosed source says, sure Ellen could be nice to the celebs. But to the employees is another story. Ellen's original DJ on her show, on & off for 9 years, says he felt the toxicity of the work environment of the show and stands with his fellow, former colleagues.

Entertainment Tonight says a few celebs have finally come forward to speak up for Ellen: Ashton Kutcher, Katy Perry, Kevin Hart & Jerry O'Connell. Although, some undisclosed source says, sure Ellen could be nice to the celebs. But to the employees is another story. Ellen's original DJ on her show, on & off for 9 years, says he felt the toxicity of the work environment of the show and stands with his fellow, former colleagues.

I believe the DJ over the celebrities. I've had a boss before who was horrible to the people who worked for her but her bosses had no idea and thought he was wonderful. She was the director of a college librarian and I worked for as a librarian. College librarian positions rarely have turnover and I remember that the positions in her librarian had an unusually high rate of turnover. I learned why once I started working for her.

I believe the DJ over the celebrities. I've had a boss before who was horrible to the people who worked for her but her bosses had no idea and thought he was wonderful. She was the director of a college librarian and I worked for as a librarian. College librarian positions rarely have turnover and I remember that the positions in her librarian had an unusually high rate of turnover. I learned why once I started working for her.

Yes, it would be entirely unsurprising for her to be great to other celebs and horrible to staff. Katy Perry and Ashton Kutcher speaking highly of her does absolutely nothing for me. When the people who worked for her speak highly of her, I will believe it.

The latest news on Ellen. She tearfully apologized again to staffers on a conference call. 3 producers who had many sexual misconduct allegations against them have been given the boot. (Article posted above.)

Edited below. Sorry, wrong DJ. I don't watch the show. I didn't know she had more than one DJ. :headache:

And that DJ. . . well, he's been given a promotion to co-executive producer.

Last edited:
The latest news on Ellen. She tearfully apologized again to staffers on a conference call. 3 producers who had many sexual misconduct allegations against them have been given the boot. (Article posted above.)

And that DJ. . . well, he's been given a promotion to co-executive producer. (I have to wonder if part of his deal was an extreme hefty bump in salary, a humongous bonus which stipulates having to sign a new non-disclosure agreement about anything about Ellen or the show, going forward. :rolleyes1 ) And of course, that he does get to make positive, safe changes for the staff. :thumbsup2 So, a win for everyone.

Tony?

And that DJ. . . well, he's been given a promotion to co-executive producer. (I have to wonder if part of his deal was an extreme hefty bump in salary, a humongous bonus which stipulates having to sign a new non-disclosure agreement about anything about Ellen or the show, going forward. :rolleyes1 ) And of course, that he does get to make positive, safe changes for the staff. :thumbsup2 So, a win for everyone.

Different DJ. The DJ that spoke out about the work environment is a former DJ. The current DJ was given the promotion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter