Egypt 2011 ***IMPORTANT UPDATE 2/4/11 Post # 190***

Just want to say I hope everyone stays safe and that things work out so you can have an amazing trip!

My family of 5 went last month (not with ABD). We have done lots of travelling and I did tons of research for this trip. We did a two day tour with a reputable tour operator (along with approx 100 others, 30 per bus), stayed at Le Meridien Pyramids but I have to say we were nervous the entire time.

We were coming from a cruise ship and docked in Alexandria so we bussed it to Cairo overnight which was three hours each way. The highways are absolutely terrible and I was sure we were going to hit either a pedestrian (who were constantly trying to dodge traffic on the highway and streets) or us hitting or being hit by another vehicle. The driving truly is insane although our bus driver was doing his best. A few days after we left Egypt a tour bus was in an accident killing 8 tourists. This is when I also found out that in November 2010 there were another 8 tourists killed in a bus crash. Glad I didn't know that while I was there. I was already stressed!

That said I am glad we went but in hindsight I'm not sure it was the best decision to take my kids. While they thought the pyramids were cool the extreme poverty that we saw everywhere (Cairo and Alexandria), the extreme filth and garbage and the horrible state of some of the animals, not to mention some other things we witnessed at the pyramids which I won't mention here makes me second guess my choice of bringing them. At least the younger two who are tweens.

The Egyptian people are some of the kindest people we've met. The hagglers did not bother us. We knew they were going to be there and you can't blame them for their tactics. If I was poor and trying to feed my family I'm sure I would act the same way.

There is talk of a lot of security and how the government is so keen on keeping tourists safe but quite frankly although the police are a dime a dozen you get the feeling that most of them are merely security guards with guns. Many of our group had these "police officers" demand money from them for pictures and such. Obviously they aren't paid well and I doubt if they are trained well considering the state of their country.

In light of what is going on right now I am very curious to whether or not the cruise ships will be docking there. Knowing what I know now there is no way I would take the risk of having my family there while there are these kind of protests going on.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. Like I said I am glad we got to go.

I was there 2 months ago for 10 days (4 nights in Cairo staying at the Four Seasons, the rest was in southern Egypt) and didn't get this feel at all. I was quite content there. Poverty exists all over the world; I can see it where I live across the city and I've seen it when traveling. I didn't see anything worse in Cairo than I've seen in Mexico or Tibet.

As far as the bus crash, that was the same tour company twice; they were repeat offenders in having unlicensed drivers. Our bus rides and taxi rides were fine. The traffic there wasn't any worse than Beijing, Rome, Paris IMO.

I'm not saying I'd go to Egypt right now but 2 months ago (just as I wouldn't have wanted to be in Los Angeles when the riots were going on there), I felt completely safe. I've done a lot of travel and Egypt was the most amazing place I've ever visited. I hope the government gets it together so that all of the people who want to visit this incredible country get the chance to do so.

LSmith, thanks for your insights. We have been seriously condsidering the Egypt ABD, although we won't be in a position to make a decision for a few months.

Your mention of activities at the pyramids unsuitable for tweens did make me wonder a little....I assume it was of a s*xual nature. Which made me laugh because having taken my 13 y.o. all over the world, I must say the worst, um, "public displays of affection" that she ever witnessed were in DisneyLand Paris! Pretty much every bench was in use by some very hotblooded lovers when we were there.:eek: I'm pretty sure some were intent on making the next generation of Disney fans right then and there. So you never know what you'll see where these days...

If not going to Egypt is going to break your heart, then go. Period. None of us are getting out of this life alive. I am sure that you will encounter poverty and unrest there. Guess what? I have been followed by aggressive peddlers and panhandlers right here in San Francisco, and we have had tourists caught in the crossfire of gang warfare. I have also seen tourists having a wonderful time and going home with lovely memories of their time here.

If you live in a major U.S. city, you might be shocked at the living conditions you could see within a few miles of even the most luxurious hotels in your city. That doesn't make that your whole city is a garbage heap.

I was there 2 months ago for 10 days (4 nights in Cairo staying at the Four Seasons, the rest was in southern Egypt) and didn't get this feel at all. I was quite content there. Poverty exists all over the world; I can see it where I live across the city and I've seen it when traveling. I didn't see anything worse in Cairo than I've seen in Mexico or Tibet.

As far as the bus crash, that was the same tour company twice; they were repeat offenders in having unlicensed drivers. Our bus rides and taxi rides were fine. The traffic there wasn't any worse than Beijing, Rome, Paris IMO.

I'm not saying I'd go to Egypt right now but 2 months ago (just as I wouldn't have wanted to be in Los Angeles when the riots were going on there), I felt completely safe. I've done a lot of travel and Egypt was the most amazing place I've ever visited. I hope the government gets it together so that all of the people who want to visit this incredible country get the chance to do so.

I know you were there. I read your review. I am just giving my opinion on how I felt taking my family there. I also have seen poverty and travelled far and wide and was not trying to compare it to another country.

I, along with my family, witnessed a couple of pretty horrific things; for instance watching a child get beaten with a big stick at the pyramids by a man while the police and everyone else stood there watching. The boy was sobbing. I actually screamed for the man to stop and they all laughed. It left me shaken the entire day. My kids saw dead horses lying in the desert behing the pyramids on their camel ride. The reason for the beating was that the child was encroaching on this mans territory since they were both vying for customers to take camel rides.

To compare driving in Cairo and Alexandria and along the highways between with Beijing, Rome and Paris well sorry that is just hilarious! Nobody in their right mind coming from a Western country would drive in Egypt. I highly doubt that you could even be insured.

I am not bashing Egypt just stating the facts as I see them. I did love the people, the pyramids, the museums. I also said that I'm glad we went.

I understand that you had a different experience that we did and I respect that but please respect my experience as well. I have a right to tell it as much as you do.

I know you were there. I read your review. I am just giving my opinion on how I felt taking my family there. I also have seen poverty and travelled far and wide and was not trying to compare it to another country.

I, along with my family, witnessed a couple of pretty horrific things; for instance watching a child get beaten with a big stick at the pyramids by a man while the police and everyone else stood there watching. The boy was sobbing. I actually screamed for the man to stop and they all laughed. It left me shaken the entire day. My kids saw dead horses lying in the desert behing the pyramids on their camel ride. The reason for the beating was that the child was encroaching on this mans territory since they were both vying for customers to take camel rides.

To compare driving in Cairo and Alexandria and along the highways between with Beijing, Rome and Paris well sorry that is just hilarious! Nobody in their right mind coming from a Western country would drive in Egypt. I highly doubt that you could even be insured.

I am not bashing Egypt just stating the facts as I see them. I did love the people, the pyramids, the museums. I also said that I'm glad we went.

I understand that you had a different experience that we did and I respect that but please respect my experience as well. I have a right to tell it as much as you do.

Thank you for your review. I always take anyone's review as just that, a snapshot in time that reflects the authors views. Much like witnessing a traffic accident many times the same action has many accounts that may differ. :)

LSmith, thanks for your insights. We have been seriously condsidering the Egypt ABD, although we won't be in a position to make a decision for a few months.

Your mention of activities at the pyramids unsuitable for tweens did make me wonder a little....I assume it was of a s*xual nature. Which made me laugh because having taken my 13 y.o. all over the world, I must say the worst, um, "public displays of affection" that she ever witnessed were in DisneyLand Paris! Pretty much every bench was in use by some very hotblooded lovers when we were there.:eek: I'm pretty sure some were intent on making the next generation of Disney fans right then and there. So you never know what you'll see where these days...

When they say that Paris is for Lovers they aren't kidding. Disneyland, subways, restaurants, shopping malls are full of them! :lmao:

Thank you for your review. I always take anyone's review as just that, a snapshot in time that reflects the authors views. Much like witnessing a traffic accident many times the same action has many accounts that may differ. :)

Your welcome and I fully agree.

If you read disrespect into my post, it was not my intent. I thought your original post came off as only negative and I don't want people to think that there isn't great beauty and jaw dropping history to see there, that there aren't hundreds of safe tour operators/bus drivers there. My wish would be for everyone to be able to visit that country.

And yes, I would rather drive in Cairo than Beijing. :upsidedow

If you read disrespect into my post, it was not my intent. I thought your original post came off as only negative and I don't want people to think that there isn't great beauty and jaw dropping history to see there, that there aren't hundreds of safe tour operators/bus drivers there. My wish would be for everyone to be able to visit that country.

And yes, I would rather drive in Cairo than Beijing. :upsidedow

Well please reread my original post as I did say that the Egyptians are some of the kindest people I've ever met, also said we liked the pyramids and as well as that I am glad we went. What is negative about those statements? My post was certainly was not "only negative". Although even if I only said negative things is it not my right? Maybe I thought you said only positive things in your review but I didn't go back and refute any of it. Nor should I. Get my drift?

You've made it clear that you are well travelled. As am I.

Again you are welcome to your view points as I am mine. :)

I really enjoyed reading your review and looking at your pictures.

Got a call from ABD saying they are still a go! What happens if they decide to call them off? Refund of air if booked separate? Scheduled for June 21st.Just wondering what people are thinking...would not mind switching to another ABD that might be a little more stable at the present time! Any input appreciated..Thanks!

In the past when they canceled they paid the fees to change your airfare. However, those cancellations where based on low booking levels, not a country in crisis. So, I think you would have to call them to find out what the plans would be if trips are canceled. If the situation doesn't significanlty improve they will have to cancel the trips, which would be so disappointing. But, at this point I don't get the impression it is safe to travel to Cairo. Best of luck to everyone.

In the past when they canceled they paid the fees to change your airfare. However, those cancellations where based on low booking levels, not a country in crisis. So, I think you would have to call them to find out what the plans would be if trips are canceled. If the situation doesn't significanlty improve they will have to cancel the trips, which would be so disappointing. But, at this point I don't get the impression it is safe to travel to Cairo. Best of luck to everyone.
I agree with this. I don't think we've seen this situation. And, at the moment, it's definitely not safe in Cairo. I hope things stabilize soon!

Sayhello

Hi Folks,

I have many clients booked on the Egypt Adventures, some as soon as April.
I have been in contact with ABD this week to ask if there was any official statement and there hasnt been, until today.

ABD has sent this via email.

Dear Valued Travel Agent:

Given the recent media reports of the political unrest in Egypt, we want to take a moment and provide you with an update on your client’s upcoming Adventures by Disney Egypt family vacation.

As always, our first concern is for the safety and well being of our Guests and Cast Members. We are working closely with our security team and local operators who are providing us with frequent updates on the situation in the destination. We are also checking in with the US State Department.

With departures to the region still several months away, we believe that the current political challenges may be resolved prior to our arrival and at this point we are planning to proceed with all of our regular departures as scheduled.

We will continue to monitor this situation closely as your client’s trip approaches and provide you with any necessary updates as appropriate.

Should you have any questions regarding your client’s Egypt family vacation, please contact us.

Sincerely,

Adventures by Disney

I will continue to monitor ABD's response to the situation in Egypt and post what I learn.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin! It's a little disturbing when I hear of Mummies heads ripped off in museums by looters..a lot of good that does! Hopefully there will be some swift order...time will tell, I just hope decisions are made fairly soon so we can make other plans in our "vacation time window." Thanks again!

Thanks Kevin! It's a little disturbing when I hear of Mummies heads ripped off in museums by looters..a lot of good that does! Hopefully there will be some swift order...time will tell, I just hope decisions are made fairly soon so we can make other plans in our "vacation time window." Thanks again!
The *good* thing I'm hearing is that groups of citizens have organized themselves to help protect places like the National Museum, neighborhoods, etc, from the looters. Unfortunately, you are always going to get people who take advantage of situations like this. I *still* remember the looting that went on in the town where I lived during the LA riots. I couldn't believe it. But it happens when there's chaos.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter