Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

Yes, I read up-thread that someone already asked about retaining status with a gratuitous transfer and they were told it will retain status. I hope that remains true. I purchased in October but it was a Christmas surprise for my husband. His name isn't on it yet (because he would have needed to know about it to sign). So, it's in my name and my 19 yo daughter. We discussed it on Christmas and DH is fine with leaving it as is until my now 16 yo turns 18 and we will add them both. So, I'd be really upset if it didn't retain direct status.

I can see where they would exclude changing the names on just the add on.

Yes. I plan to transfer my membership to my children in 30 years as well. I do not trust anybody else enough with all of my points to add them, though, which makes sense why Disney requires an all or none when it comes to adding people.

So my first purchase closed today. I realize that it is gong to take some days before this populates into the system. I am on the wait list for Polynesian for 50 pts...my question is if it comes through by some miracle will i be able to just add 25 as an existing owner, or will i have to make a 50pt purchase as a "new" direct buyer. Unfortunately I am one of the people that was in the middle of my first purchase when this all went down with the intention of adding 25 immediately when it closed. Also, let's say I get a call...can i have them hold those points for a week until I populate in the system(which I am guessing will be end of next week)?

So my first purchase closed today. I realize that it is gong to take some days before this populates into the system. I am on the wait list for Polynesian for 50 pts...my question is if it comes through by some miracle will i be able to just add 25 as an existing owner, or will i have to make a 50pt purchase as a "new" direct buyer. Unfortunately I am one of the people that was in the middle of my first purchase when this all went down with the intention of adding 25 immediately when it closed. Also, let's say I get a call...can i have them hold those points for a week until I populate in the system(which I am guessing will be end of next week)?

I'm in your exact situation except I closed a week ago. I've been calling MA and my guide to see what I can do. You can't got on a waitlist officially for 25 points until you're in the system. My guide has said she'll keep an eye on it and let me know if she's going to run out of options for 25 for me so that she can give me a call and have me purchase 50 instead (which I doubt I would actually do just for perks, but I do actually need another 25 for my intended stays). You should call to make sure your documents have been received by MA. I "closed" on last Thursday but my documents didn't actually end up in their hands and on the OC website until the next Monday, so my shot clock didn't actually start until that Monday. MA also promised to put my documents on top of the pile for that day, but wouldn't be able to move my file up by a day. I'm guessing I'll officially be in the system by Monday or Tuesday of this next week. If you just closed today, I would be calling MA tomorrow to make sure your documents were received. If not, you can push your title company to tell you that they did indeed send them in.

Last edited:

You can always adjust the number of points you want to purchase when you are waitlisted so if you are in the system then yes, you could drop down to 25 points.

Our resale contract closed today, deed not yet listed. I had thought we would possibly do the 25 point add on someday. I talked to my husband and he couldn't care less. I on the other hand am one of the people who is anxious about "missing out". But I think sticking with our resale only will be best.. (need some home repairs too!)
Yep, I got anxious about missing out too. I called my guide to see what resorts were available and he stated I would have to go on a waiting list. I almost did but then decided not to. It was hard though. We have home repairs too, or home remodel and that put a damper on anything extra we wanted to buy. I figured if it's going to be 75points later, it not that much extra, then I can bank / borrow every year, then do resale at another resort. I just have to constantly tell myself, I CAN'T BUY UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR!! UGH..... :(

I'm in your exact situation except I closed a week ago. I've been calling MA and my guide to see what I can do. You can't got on a waitlist officially for 25 points until you're in the system. My guide has said she'll keep an eye on it and let me know if she's going to run out of options for 25 for me so that she can give me a call and have me purchase 50 instead (which I doubt I would actually do just for perks, but I do actually need another 25 for my intended stays). You should call to make sure your documents have been received by MA. I "closed" on last Thursday but my documents didn't actually end up in their hands and on the OC website until the next Monday, so my shot clock didn't actually start until that Monday. MA also promised to put my documents on top of the pile for that day, but wouldn't be able to move my file up by a day. I'm guessing I'll officially be in the system by Monday or Tuesday of this next week. If you just closed today, I would be calling MA tomorrow to make sure your documents were received. If not, you can push your title company to tell you that they did indeed send them in.
We closed on a resale contract today and apparently Disney was just notified of the change of ownership (according to our title company). We don’t know if waitlisting is even possible to come through if you closed last week and still are waiting to get in the system. Did your guide say that there was a difference between how much you were adding on. I would think 25 points would be easier to get than 50 since you need less (unless Disney can’t separate contracts after they take them in ROFR?). I had heard that Aulani points are available immediately and that you must purchase 75 points minimum to be able to purchase copper creek.

FYI- I was put on a waiting list Tuesday and heard back from Cesar Thursday that our 25 point contract at AKL with April use year was available. I purchased right away and the points were in my account a couple of hours later. At first I was told that only CC was available- glad I waited to match m contract and that it actually came through.

ETA- Also, I paid $171 a point for my 25 points, not $185 that I see being reported on here. Lots of numbers being reported on here are off, so make sure you ask the guide first!

Last edited:

I was told by my guide if I wanted 25 points I would have to go on WL but could purchase 50 right away. I think they are trying to balance the two groups of customers. He says there’s a lot more in the 25 group

FYI- I was put on a waiting list Tuesday and heard back from Cesar Thursday that our 25 point contract at AKL with April use year was available. I purchased right away and the points were in my account a couple of hours later. At first I was told that only CC was available- glad I waited to match m contract and that it actually came through.

ETA- Also, I paid $171 a point for my 25 points, not $185 that I see being reported on here. Lots of numbers being reported on here are off, so make sure you ask the guide first!
I paid $171 as well

I was put on the waiting list Wednesday for SSR or akv by Ricardo. He said they would email me if it came through. Does this sound right? Should I call to follow up?
Also, if I do purchase the add on will I be considered a "full" member as soon as I make the deposits or do I need to be closed before the 25th?

I was put on the waiting list Wednesday for SSR or akv by Ricardo. He said they would email me if it came through. Does this sound right? Should I call to follow up?
Also, if I do purchase the add on will I be considered a "full" member as soon as I make the deposits or do I need to be closed before the 25th?
Hmmmmm ... So I would call if I were you. I actually did the online chat with DVC yesterday and of course they had someone call me. I was told that there was 50 points available for OKW and SSR.

Just curious, but how has the wait list for 50 points been going? I've been trying to keep up with threads, so I may be missing a lot. But it seems like the 25 point wait list has been pretty successful with all of this. I guess it depends on where you are wait listed. But interested in knowing how 50 points has been moving along. I wonder if DVC has reached the point of not being able to grandfather in before the 25th.

Well I just spoke to a guide. I was told that there were no points available at any resort at this time at the 25 point level. I was offered a waiting list for my selections. Since I am already on the list I declined. He also said if points become available before the 25th and i made a deposit i was good to go. So there you go.

Hmmmmm ... So I would call if I were you. I actually did the online chat with DVC yesterday and of course they had someone call me. I was told that there was 50 points available for OKW and SSR.
Hmmm this has me worried. I talked to my guide on the phone yesterday and he said he would put me on the waitlist for 50 points at both OKW and SSR (any use year) and call me in a few days to let touch base. Did he even check what was available I wonder or just go to the “we will put you on the waitlist” line. It seems like not all the guides give the same info. Mine is in California at the Anaheim DVC site (he gave us our sales presentation but we did not previously buy through him because we went resale). Would you guys call someone else or should I just wait it out?

Well I just spoke to a guide. I was told that there were no points available at any resort at this time at the 25 point level. I was offered a waiting list for my selections. Since I am already on the list I declined. He also said if points become available before the 25th and i made a deposit i was good to go. So there you go.
I was told the same thing for 50 points

Hmmm this has me worried. I talked to my guide on the phone yesterday and he said he would put me on the waitlist for 50 points at both OKW and SSR (any use year) and call me in a few days to let touch base. Did he even check what was available I wonder or just go to the “we will put you on the waitlist” line. It seems like not all the guides give the same info. Mine is in California at the Anaheim DVC site (he gave us our sales presentation but we did not previously buy through him because we went resale). Would you guys call someone else or should I just wait it out?

I'm very new to all of this. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to call your guide or speak to someone else. I was told they would go fast when they were offered to me. But I was surprised that there was 50 points at all.:confused3

Every resort is a different price now, so yeah everyone is paying a different prices. I think CCV is $185, so that's what's being reported.

It still kind of blows my mind how lucky I was that I got AKV for $74 / point 4 years ago and still got the perks - now someone has to pay $171 for the perks? 132% inflation in 4 years seems totally wrong.

Every resort is a different price now, so yeah everyone is paying a different prices. I think CCV is $185, so that's what's being reported.

It still kind of blows my mind how lucky I was that I got AKV for $74 / point 4 years ago and still got the perks - now someone has to pay $171 for the perks? 132% inflation in 4 years seems totally wrong.

Comparing resale to direct is part of that, though. Good for Disney for maximizing profits there. Also, the economy has been strongly growing over those four years and Disney, being a luxery business, is going outpace the economy in terms of cost, so the price difference does kind of make sense to me.

I definitely think that DVD is riding the economic growth to these higher prices, wonder if during the next down turn that they will be forced to actually reduce prices though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter