• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

I wouldn't buy any more direct just for perks you already own. If you think you can make use of the extra 25 points, then sure, go for it. They can take away any perks from anybody that they want at any time, so 25 will not save you from any cuts that they want to implement.

As for cruises, only before '11 or direct points can be used to book them, but it is a poor trade off anyway, especially for those who bought recently.
Thanks for the reply. I knew it wasn’t a good trade off but didn’t know what the real deal with it was. I don’t have enough points anyway for a full week trip I would assume. Lol

Don't I feel like a genius!!! We were on the Disney Magic in January and I put us on the waitlist for 38 OKW points (I have a 37 point resale and wanted an nice number like 75) I had not heard anything and after seeing this news I called our guide Randy on Monday. (yesterday) He told me that our waitlist for points had come up 6 days ago and was going to expire tomorrow. We didn't get a call because The guide on the ship had put us on the list and she was off sick for the last 26 days. If I had not called Randy to touch base we would have missed out. I was amazed how fast direct works. He called at 3pm. 4:09 I get a notification that our Credit card had been charged. At 6pm the points were in our Account!

Don't I feel like a genius!!! We were on the Disney Magic in January and I put us on the waitlist for 38 OKW points (I have a 37 point resale and wanted an nice number like 75) I had not heard anything and after seeing this news I called our guide Randy on Monday. (yesterday) He told me that our waitlist for points had come up 6 days ago and was going to expire tomorrow. We didn't get a call because The guide on the ship had put us on the list and she was off sick for the last 26 days. If I had not called Randy to touch base we would have missed out. I was amazed how fast direct works. He called at 3pm. 4:09 I get a notification that our Credit card had been charged. At 6pm the points were in our Account!

You're a lucky lil' Ducky for sure. A whole lot had to go right there, and it sounds like it has.

That is an important message that had the potential to be lost when considering all the "perks". I think this thread has done a great job of looking at both the positives and drawbacks of buying in to get those perks, but underlying it all is that you are buying guaranteed nights at various quality resorts all around Disney World and beyond. Just this morning I was watching videos of the splash pad at the Polynesian, excited to know my kids will be playing there this summer. This comes via resale points, not perks. If someone wants to buy all direct, that's fine for them, but by buying resale, you are still getting 96% of the benefits at only 70% or so of the cost.

Very true. We bought CCV direct because we wanted CCV specifically, and it's a new resort and not worth it to buy resale. The fact that we get direct member perks is a plus but not the main reason we chose this route. We bought the majority of our points resale at SSR and BWV since resale offers a much better price point than direct for those. Ultimately, the decision was about which resorts we wanted as our home resorts based on how we wanted to use the points.

Wow, I definitely didn't expect this, but my 25pt Poly WL came through (I was added on Sunday afternoon). But I love CCV so I'm not sure if I want to switch the CCV 50pts for the Poly 25pts now :P My Poly contract is still in ROFR (it's been there for a week... I hope they didn't take it to fulfill my WL haha).

Since a few people have been mentioning Bill, I'll mention that the guide that called me about the WL being fulfilled, Roderick Evens, has been really helpful. My assigned guide is on vacation, but Roderick is the one they routed me to when I called on Sunday.
@iheartglaciers So, have any of your resale contracts closed yet? Or were you resale member before this? So happy that your 25 pt came through on time!

Allright then! News was all over the place this past winter so it was hard to tell what was real or not. Once I added "Golden Oaks" to the search, it does look like its a go! Now we just need a small buy in of $3500 each to get .33 days in the house, plus membership to Club 33. May have to pay off a few people as well, but I am sure it would still be cheaper than buying 75 direct points.

.33 days exclusive use if the house. If it was set up by bedroom, a 3 bedroom house would allow each stakeholder a single night per year. Don't forget though, that each person will also have to pay their fractional share of the $25k annual home owners association fee charged to golden oaks homes. I assume there will be daily (hourly if you're giving out .33 day stays?) cleaning included.

.33 days exclusive use if the house. If it was set up by bedroom, a 3 bedroom house would allow each stakeholder a single night per year. Don't forget though, that each person will also have to pay their fractional share of the $25k annual home owners association fee charged to golden oaks homes. I assume there will be daily (hourly if you're giving out .33 day stays?) cleaning included.

Hey, count me in as a fractional investor, as long as 999 other people are interested. I will take July 17th in the second bedroom.

Guides are super busy we bought direct and I still had to stalk our guide to get him on the phone! Wanted a 25 point contract but told I could not get it that is an add on only. We have two direct contracts but wanted our grown children to be card members without attaching them to our larger contracts. Today we purchased AKL which we own already 50 points in small contract with our adult children did not need 50 or 75 but 25 not an option now I’m wondering why since our goal was to only add small contract with different members including us! Paid in cash so no financing mess involved.

It’s hard to keep track of this, I wasn’t even aware of a 2016 limitation. I’ve been way out of the loop. :) With my 180 resale pre-2011 points, am I still eligible for the DVC annual pass discount with these changes? That’s the only one that matters to us! Thanks in advance, I know the people here are always super helpful!

It’s hard to keep track of this, I wasn’t even aware of a 2016 limitation. I’ve been way out of the loop. :) With my 180 resale pre-2011 points, am I still eligible for the DVC annual pass discount with these changes? That’s the only one that matters to us! Thanks in advance, I know the people here are always super helpful!
Yep you'd be grandfathered in.

Yes. At least for now.

Guides are super busy we bought direct and I still had to stalk our guide to get him on the phone! Wanted a 25 point contract but told I could not get it that is an add on only. We have two direct contracts but wanted our grown children to be card members without attaching them to our larger contracts. Today we purchased AKL which we own already 50 points in small contract with our adult children did not need 50 or 75 but 25 not an option now I’m wondering why since our goal was to only add small contract with different members including us! Paid in cash so no financing mess involved.
I'm guessing the difference is in titling. If you were titling the new purchase exactly as the existing contract, it is an "add-on." Any difference in the titling (children's names) means it is a new master contract and must meet the minimums of a new master. Again, just my guess.

I'm guessing the difference is in titling. If you were titling the new purchase exactly as the exiting contract, it is an "add-on." Any difference in the titling (children's names) means it is a new master contract and must meet the minimums of a new master. Again, just my guess.

Yes, that's why. I wonder if you could buy it as an add on (title it the same) and then just change the deed later...?

So are we going to get a group together to join club 33. Split 25 ways it's only $1000 a piece and $750 a year. I'm in for that! Family membership right? Just got a ton of brothers and sisters! (Pretty sure it doesn't work this way - else I would be more than joking.)

As a "sibling" I am in

Yes, that's why. I wonder if you could buy it as an add on (title it the same) and then just change the deed later...?
Would an add on be part of original contract? We wanted to protect our larger point investment by adding children to small contract not sure 25 points would be separate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter