Edge

DisneyKatie1

Mouseketeer
Has anyone got any recent experience with Edge? I thought that the kids could leave when they want to and there was no way around that but people on Facebook claim that they chose for their kid to not be allowed out of Edge. Is this true? You can opt out of allowing them to leave when they want? TIA

Has anyone got any recent experience with Edge? I thought that the kids could leave when they want to and there was no way around that but people on Facebook claim that they chose for their kid to not be allowed out of Edge. Is this true? You can opt out of allowing them to leave when they want? TIA
I'm not aware of any changes. Edge is not secure programming and kids can come and go.

Just wanted to revitalize this chat - my dd is 11 - she’s a very innocent 11 but also very impressionable so I worry about her. She does not have a cell phone - just wondering how other parents are handling their kids being able to leave Edge on their own and tracking their whereabouts. Total judgement-free zone here regarding phones, really just looking for ideas!

Just wanted to revitalize this chat - my dd is 11 - she’s a very innocent 11 but also very impressionable so I worry about her. She does not have a cell phone - just wondering how other parents are handling their kids being able to leave Edge on their own and tracking their whereabouts. Total judgement-free zone here regarding phones, really just looking for ideas!

Our next cruise we're going to bring an old phone and put the DCL app on it. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. Our oldest isn't old enough for Edge yet but I think she'll be old enough to have in/out privileges.

My son was Edge age before the app was reliable for texting so what we did was leave a dry erase board on the door of our cabin (or in the cabin would work, too).

Strict instructions to not go in anyone else's room and not to let anyone into ours. Otherwise, if he's exploring the ship, no RUNNING and behave. If he was going to hang out somewhere other than Edge (or within sight of Edge) he had to leave me a note (like if he was going to a class or a trivia or a movie or something). If he was going to get ice cream/drink/snack, watch funnel vision, that was okay, but it took a little bit of trial and error to figure that out (if I went looking for him in Edge and he wasn't there, I'd do a quick walk around the deck and if he wasn't there, head down to the room where I'd often find him).

Same for me, I'd let him know via the dry erase board where he'd be able to find me. Honestly, it worked this way more than the reverse.

Our son is 12 and doesn't have a phone either (and he won't until he starts high school!). We did, however, get him an Apple watch when he started middle school so we have a way to communicate with him. It worked great on the ship as well. You can use iMessage even without purchasing the ship WiFi. It works as well (or better) than messaging through the DCL app (which you can't put on an Apple watch).

My 11-year-old also does not have a phone, but we bring an old phone with just the DCL app on cruise vacations. It works well for us, and as a bonus, she uses it to take pictures with her friends!

I was wondering if an AirTag would work ON the ship? Doesn’t Bluetooth work without WiFi?
The AirTag has to ping off other people's devices and connect back to the Internet which it then uses to report back to you. I doubt enough people have a good enough Internet connection for that to happen. Plus I don't feel like the location is that precise. It's more of a general area or you can have it make noise to find it. I had one lost in my house once and it couldn't tell me WHERE in my house, just that it was there. I had to have it make the noise to find it. Which wouldn't work on a big ship full of people.

My 11-year-old also does not have a phone, but we bring an old phone with just the DCL app on cruise vacations. It works well for us, and as a bonus, she uses it to take pictures with her friends!
This is what we did when my DD was that age. An older phone without a SIM card. Connected it to WiFi with the DCL app and that was it. She had a little waist pouch it went into.

"The AirTag has to ping off other people's devices and connect back to the Internet"

Airtags work with Bluetooth which does not require Wifi or the Internet. It does 'ping' from any Apple product with Bluetooth. It might work on a ship full of people with iPhones. Granted, location is not overly precise - an iPhone needs to be within 33 feet for it to work. But having a general idea might be better than nothing.

Our next cruise we're going to bring an old phone and put the DCL app on it. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. Our oldest isn't old enough for Edge yet but I think she'll be old enough to have in/out privileges.
Thank you, that’s a good idea. This way she can text us via the app if my memory is correct

My son was Edge age before the app was reliable for texting so what we did was leave a dry erase board on the door of our cabin (or in the cabin would work, too).

Strict instructions to not go in anyone else's room and not to let anyone into ours. Otherwise, if he's exploring the ship, no RUNNING and behave. If he was going to hang out somewhere other than Edge (or within sight of Edge) he had to leave me a note (like if he was going to a class or a trivia or a movie or something). If he was going to get ice cream/drink/snack, watch funnel vision, that was okay, but it took a little bit of trial and error to figure that out (if I went looking for him in Edge and he wasn't there, I'd do a quick walk around the deck and if he wasn't there, head down to the room where I'd often find him).

Same for me, I'd let him know via the dry erase board where he'd be able to find me. Honestly, it worked this way more than the reverse.
Great idea! Thank you!

The AirTag has to ping off other people's devices and connect back to the Internet which it then uses to report back to you. I doubt enough people have a good enough Internet connection for that to happen. Plus I don't feel like the location is that precise. It's more of a general area or you can have it make noise to find it. I had one lost in my house once and it couldn't tell me WHERE in my house, just that it was there. I had to have it make the noise to find it. Which wouldn't work on a big ship full of people.
Thank you - I was wondering if the air tag was a solution but it sounds like that’s not my best option.

We just got off the Wish with my 11 year old DS. I was nervous about the level of freedom I was giving him - but he loved it and absolutely thrived.

He does not have a phone. He had strict instructions that he could go back to our room whenever he was done with Edge OR get an ice cream, but that was it. He followed these rules and did amazing. He spent a ton of time in Edge, made so many friends and it was a great experience.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter