Echanging money on board

Lokkabear

Mouseketeer
I have a question about exchanging money on the ship. Do you have to have cash or US travelers checks for them to do exchanges or can they do it from a debit card? :confused: I really dislike traveling with cash and I have never been to the US before and definitley never been on a crusie before so this is all new to me. Thanks for your responses!

They do not accept debit cards or credit cards for obtaining cash on the ship. You can do that in the airport though.

Hi Lokkabear--the currency used on DCL is US. DCL is not equipped to do currency exchange. I believe there are no ATMs onboard ship.

Before we travel to the US (we live in Ontario), we purchase some US cash from a bank/credit union/currency exchange office. Shop around for the best deal. Try and get some small bills included in your US cash for incidentals and tips while travelling.

DH and I are old-fashioned, so we also buy US traveller's cheques from a bank/credit union/currency exchange, or from CAA (rules vary widely depending on your location--if you are a CAA member, check with your local office to find out if they sell them). If you do buy traveller's cheques, purchase them directly with Canadian funds so that you minimize bank charges.

Traveller's cheques can be difficult to use at stores, but I have never had any problem cashing them either at WDW or on DCL. Some hotels put a daily limit on the amount you can cash. You may have to produce a govt. picture i.d. to cash traveller's cheques.

You can also charge most of your US expenses on your credit card--your credit card company will charge you a currency exchange fee on each transaction. Prior to your trip, you should call your credit card issuers and advise them of your travel dates and itinerary, as credit card companies may flag/stop purchases made in foreign countries if the cc companies have not been previously advised about your travel.

If you decide to use a debit card, make sure with the card issuer that your card will work in ATMs in the US.

If you decide to use a debit card, make sure with the card issuer that your card will work in ATMs in the US.

Every important point. My cousin, her husband and 4 kids from Canada met us at Disneyland. They came with nothing but a debit card, but it was from a very small bank in Canada, no Visa or Mastercard logo on it. It cost them $2.50 to use another systems ATM, and they were limited to $100 in cash a day. Trust me, it is very hard to feed a family of 6 at Disneyland on $100 a day.
Now, I went to Canada this summer with a VISA log debit card, had no problem at all using it. That VISA or MASTERCARD logo on your debit card is critical.
I'm an old foggie too, still take Travelers Checks. I have had issues using them, but it always because of an uneducated clerk.
Accepting travelers checks is actually less risky than credit cards, debit cars or even CASH for a merchange. American Express and Thomas Cook stand behind them, they guarantee the merchant will get their money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter