ebayers buy up all the good toys!

I just wanted to thank those of you who offered to help me out. It is nice to now that there are people willing to help just for the sake of helping without expecting anything in return. Forgive me for sounding corny, but your offers really did help spread some holiday cheer and good will.

Caitsmama, you are right. It is disgusting how many of them are on ebay at crazy amounts. Thank you for offering to keep you eyes open for me, but I think I have something worked out thanks to another disser who had a couple extra!

Princessdisneybelle - Thank you, also, for offering to check your walmart for me. Like I said above, I think I have something worked out, but your offer meant a lot to me.

Bengalbelle - Thanks so much for your offer also! I am a true believer in karma so I KNOW that you will have a wonderful holiday.

I must say I take pleasure when I see the hot item's failing to sell on Ebay and the seller left holding the bag.

Pooh's Purple Pal said:
I agree. I was Christmas shopping in Target when two grown men were convincing the employee to go in the back and bring out the boxes of Cars toys so they could go through and get all the good ones. While she was in the back they were talking about how they made the rounds of all the stores and bought them up so they could turn around and resell them for $24. :furious: Made me sad for the little kids who wouldn't be getting them. :confused3

100% agree :thumbsup2 Scalpers are the WORST. Pulling out stock for someone to pick over first IS against the policies of most stores. Alas, I have also heard of employees themselves hoarding the toys in back to purchase themselves and resell on ebay never even giving the public a chance. And if I was looking for these toys for my kids I wouldn't have hesitated to become ole Grinch and call the store manager in this case probably sending someone home unemployed for Christmas.

I often buy SW toys for my kids on ebay because sometimes they want something that is older or I find something different that is out of production today. However, I try to avoid the scalpers by viewing the stores first. If they are selling 1 or 2 of a toy, OK. If there is 1 ending every day....I'll look for an honest seller who isn't out there keeping these toys off the shelves and away from the kids who want them even if it means paying a couple bucks more. Let the scalpers be stuck with em.

But in this case this toy has been available all year long. Lego sets are produced for so long then retired. Because it's a large ticket price many parents probably decided a toy this expensive is best left for a special occasion like Christmas. I can't say I blame Lego for slowing down production of a toy that was available everywhere all year, but suddenly becomes hot and they can't produce enough fast enough. That they are even offering backorders on one that I figured would be retired soon even surprises me. Unfortunately now it's out of stock everywhere with a week til Santa comes and if it's a must have then there is ebay. The ones selling on ebay right now are probably not a high percentage of scalpers, but collectors who almost always buy 2. One toy to open and display and another to store away to hopefully resell someday when it's out of production at a nice profit. Why store it away for 10 years when it's at a premium price now? Of course no matter what you are still going to have the scalpers who do take advantage of hoarding hot toys and driving the aftermarket price up. All we can do is not patronize their ebay stores and at least give that money to someone who was just lucky to have an extra toy with a high demand price.

regards

We had the same dilemma -- we searched everywhere and couldn't find it. I spoke with a lady at Lego who said they were backordered from Lego. She suggested a website called bricklink.com which is kind of like a lego ebay -- I found one there through a man who sells them only to raise money for some highschool lego building group -- and is selling them at face value. I'll PM you his username. I just checked He has 8 listed on the site right now. He shipped it very quickly to us and it arrived within 3 days from NH to us in MD.
THis was my first experience there, but I was very pleased. My husband (I mean santa) is now putting part of it together!

Edit -- I just read the rest of the thread -- looks like you already found your set. Guess I should have read through before replying! SOrry

Most of the power sellers on ebay have some type of license to sell, just as you would if you were to open up a brick and mortar store in your city. Once you become a distributor, you can buy toys up in bulk just like the other stores do. Ebayers don't all buy from the shelves and then resell. Many get their items directly from the manufacturer, just like Target and Wal-Mart do. Instead of paying an overhead for a B&M store though, they open up shop on ebay.

Look at the bright side -- If it weren't for ebay, if an item was sold out on the shelves, you would be SOL. At least now you do have the option of finding one on ebay, even though it may cost you more. The prices are pure economics of supply and demand. There are many things on ebay that you can get great deals on, as well.

karinbelle said:
Still, guys, there are plenty of the sets on EBAY, but none in the stores. Where did the Ebayers get all those sets? There should be a limit per store. I believe the demand is up because of the new Lego Star Wars II Play Station game (which we also have for under the tree).

I did secure one from Ebay, at an inflated price. We did not know about his utter desire for this particular set until now. It is the $99 set.

We bought the Lego Airplane in November, which he kept asking for at every opportunity. His letter to Santa also mentioned this set.

Thanks to all who are understanding of my position. I just needed to vent a little.

IDoDis said:
Most of the power sellers on ebay have some type of license to sell, just as you would if you were to open up a brick and mortar store in your city. Once you become a distributor, you can buy toys up in bulk just like the other stores do. Ebayers don't all buy from the shelves and then resell. Many get their items directly from the manufacturer, just like Target and Wal-Mart do. Instead of paying an overhead for a B&M store though, they open up shop on ebay.

Look at the bright side -- If it weren't for ebay, if an item was sold out on the shelves, you would be SOL. At least now you do have the option of finding one on ebay, even though it may cost you more. The prices are pure economics of supply and demand. There are many things on ebay that you can get great deals on, as well.

I really disagree! I own a brick and mortar shop.. So, I have a license to sell. However, the toys that these people are buying up, from major manufacturers - for the most part are not available to "just anyone" with a license.. Hasbro will not just come and sell you a bunch of toys if you soley have a license.
Now, that being said, IF they are buying from the manufacturer themselves, then yes, it is perfectly uderstandable.. this is their store/business.. however, i would be inclined to say that 90% of them are NOT buying direct from the toy co.'s. :sad2: I have been in retail too long, and unfortunately have seen it with the ol' beanie baby craze back when..lol.. they DO stalk the ups man, and somehow i swear, they find out what exact day a store is getting a shipment, and then BOOM- they are right there waiting! It is surreal.

Build a bear released more Frosty's after christmas along with the 3 people that went along with them, in fact they are still available on line and the girl was at our store. They plan on doing the exact same thing with Mumbles this year. They will get more after the holidays.

drewsmomslp,

I wish I had known about that site before buying the thing on ebay. I searched the internet for one, and no place had any in stock. I knew I should have waited just another day or two. I was worried it would not be here for Christmas.

My backup plan was for Santa to leave a note saying the elves were out of grey bricks and he would deliver when the elves caught up.

Thanks again to all for letting me vent. I should have asked for help before bidding on ebay. Now I feel I contributed to the problem. I just hope the person I bought from holds up their end of the bargain and I get it before Christmas. I paid with my CC throug paypal, so if it falls through, I'll deny the charge.

Karin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter