ebayers buy up all the good toys!

karinbelle

DIS Veteran
DS wants a Darth Vader Ship (Imperial Destroyer).

It appears from searching that these have all been bought up by ebayers. I've checked Target (2), WalMart, etc.

I've gone to bid on two different ones, and when I check their selling list, they have about 5-10 of these models.

I wish people would leave some in the stores. I know they are trying to make a a buck, but this seems very selfish.

I also realize this is probably my fault for not taking DS to see Santa until yesterday. Santa asked him if he could have one thing, what would it be. DS answered with the one thing on his list I had not gotten yet.

Karin

Is this the Lego Set?

Star Wars/Star Trek enthusiasts have been buying and selling collectibles long before the rise of EBAY. What do you think we do at all those conventions?

I have to agree with the original OP. I bought both my daughters a Baby Alive doll back in September when they first hit the shelves (to save for Christmas), and many ebay sellers were saying "Very Hard to Find"--in fact they were not hard to find. From at least Sept-early November I saw them in abundance in all sorts of stores. Now of course they are hard to find again, but not on ebay, plenty of them there. I find it aggravating too. People might use the argument that they're buying an "extra" to help someone out who can't find one in stores by posting it on ebay--but maybe some of those toys would be in the stores if the ebayers weren't trying to make an extra buck.

I think it is more of an issue of you have to be out early, like the baby alive story, more so then people buying them up just for ebay. There was an article out in September about how lego couldn't keep up with the demand for this holiday season. My husband is a manager at walmart and they can't even get the toys in to sell, so it has nothing to do with ebayers buying them off the shelves, they aren't there to buy from the manufacturers.

Good luck with finding it! My son just is starting to believe in santa but had no idea to ask for a toy, we more or less put the idea in his head (with the toy we had of course).

There are 2 versions of the Lego Star Destroyer. The Collector's addition which is HUGE and recommended for the mature collector 16+. Not to mention the retail price of $300. This could still be ordered direct from Lego last time I visited their site. The other is a smaller but still BIG set for ages 9-12 for $99. I don't know how old your son is but even this might be too complicated for him anyway.

The Star Wars line is one of Lego's biggest sellers. The Star Destroyers have been out since last year. I ordered one for my soon to be 7 year old back in August. He also asked for the TIE Collection because he wants Vader's TIE. Grandma got this one for him. THEN he announces he's asking Santa for the Lego X-wing with Luke and Wedge. He's always been about Vader and now this year his favorite character is Luke. I had not purchased this one because he's already getting 2 big sets. Luckily I was able to order one from ToysRUs before they ran out. Legos are so expensive, but in my case he does play with them daily.

With Lego Star Wars or just Star Wars in general, you have to get them when they come out or risk they'll be gone. It's not really like people went out and bought these all up so no one else could have them. They have been on shelves for months and months. You can still order the smaller Star Destroyer, but they are backordered until next year. If it's really important perhaps he'll accept and IOU for one in January.

regards

I think she is talking about the one that is only sold in Target stores it is not Lego. It is 59.99. As soon as the ad went out I sent my sister to her Target and I went to mine. This edition actually stayed on the shelf a lot longer than some years just about 10 days ago our store still had about 7. I'd just try calling all around to different Targets.

I agree with the Ebayers buying all the toys and hoping for a big markup and I am very glad when they get surprised like the Baby Alives starting to be more available again and the MM clubhouse. If they didn't buy them all up there would be some in the stores.

PS. If your son is starting to like Star Wars buy it as soon as you see it and take it back if he doesn't ask for it but it is almost impossible to find things.

I agree with the OP. It's very annoying and just doesn't seem fair. Our local Target had to put a sign stating that you could only buy ONE TMX Elmo per person when they had gotten a small stock of them back in a month or so ago. :thumbsup2

I agree. I was Christmas shopping in Target when two grown men were convincing the employee to go in the back and bring out the boxes of Cars toys so they could go through and get all the good ones. While she was in the back they were talking about how they made the rounds of all the stores and bought them up so they could turn around and resell them for $24. :furious: Made me sad for the little kids who wouldn't be getting them. :confused3

Hannathy said:
If they didn't buy them all up there would be some in the stores.

Nope, they wouldn't be. Ebay only works when there are market imperfections -- primarily when demand for a product outweighs supply. If eBay'ers are out there buying an item and selling it on eBay, it is because the item is going to sell out regardless. Otherwise there would be no margin on the item for the eBay'er to make a profit. If you go to a store and don't see an item it's because somebody wanted it more than you did and staked out sooner. If it's selling for a premium on eBay, it may have been an eBayer -- but if it is selling for a premium, then it still would have been gone by the time you got there because obviously others are looking for it too.

The fault doesn't lie with eBay, but with the manufacturers who either don't correctly anticipate demand for their product, or intentionally limit supply to generate "buzz" and keep prices at full retail. If there were actually adequate supply for the demand, then all of those people on eBay (which is still a very small percentage of the total number of purchasers of any individual product) would find that their auctions would be going no where. Instead of selling for a premium, they would have to sell for a loss to move their items (unless they could return it, in which case it would show back up on store shelves). In which case, that would be good for you because you could get the item you were looking for for less than what you could buy it for in the stores.

If there wasn't eBay, you would still be "competing" for the item in your stores with all the people who do buy off of eBay. There's not more competition for items because of eBay.

Sorry you can't find what you are looking for.

Still, guys, there are plenty of the sets on EBAY, but none in the stores. Where did the Ebayers get all those sets? There should be a limit per store. I believe the demand is up because of the new Lego Star Wars II Play Station game (which we also have for under the tree).

I did secure one from Ebay, at an inflated price. We did not know about his utter desire for this particular set until now. It is the $99 set.

We bought the Lego Airplane in November, which he kept asking for at every opportunity. His letter to Santa also mentioned this set.

Thanks to all who are understanding of my position. I just needed to vent a little.

I do understand what you're saying about eBay. I sell on eBay, and for the record, I don't go in and buy up ALL the good toys. I have left plenty of Blue Maters and Chicks on the shelves for my neighbors to buy. I also do not keep any of the money I make. This is my main source of fundraising for my heart's desire. I use the profits I make to give grants to families that are trying to adopt. However, the bottom line is that if people refused to pay the outrageous prices on ebay, the sellers you are talking about wouldn't be doing what they are doing. It wouldn't be worth it. I have, in the past, told my children that I simply could not find an item they wanted; and when I do see it, I will get it for them. Then I do what i said I would do. Making our children wait for a certain toy or something is not a bad thing -- even if it is a Christmas present.

As an aside.... I started selling this past summer. I saw the prices people were willing to pay for a toy from a Happy meal, and I was floored. I've been fundraising this way ever since. I have also given some of these hot selling toys to organizations that give to children in need. There are a few kids in my area that will receive the "hot toy" this year because I felt lead to donate that toy instead of sell it.

I had a moral dilemma with this today. I have been searching for a storytime mermaid for my daughter and was determined not to buy it on e-bay. So today at target there were a bunch. I thought to myself I should buy some and put them on e-bay, but I didn't want to cause another child to miss out on getting one for christmas. I didn't but any extra. I may have been stupid but I am glad I left them for others.

Oh. The only Star Destroyer I know of out now is by Lego. I could be wrong, but my boys have most of the toys launched over the past 3 years. It helps them when they have a SW geek of a mom who's too happy to buy it. :rotfl2:

The Target exclusive is the Imperial Shuttle.....different than a Star Destoyer. Best associated with the Emperor. I showed it to my son as I was at Target the night they put them on the shelves and he was not impressed. Good for me. :) His brother is getting the AT-AT (THE hot toy for this year) and they are both getting the Target Snowspeeder. There is also a Vader TIE that goes with the Jedi Star Fighters, Grevious Wheelbike, Droid Tri-fighter etc...... that has been out since summer and I saw that they have again released the large TIE that is similar to the one Target had last year.

When my kids got into SW at about age 4 I learned that year to shop VERY early for SW toys when I had the hardest time to find ANYTHING, running around like an idiot...never again. Those Christmas gifts are now packed away usually by September, October at the latest. Then I only have to purchase what ever else they are getting so that it doesn't look like Celebration IV under the tree. But I understand in the OP's case the child didn't even let them know about it until now. My kids saw Santa yesterday and when I asked them what they asked him for I was told it was a secret. I sure hope they didn't add something new or Santa is not going to know about it. I'll just give them the standard "just because you asked doesn't mean you can have all of it."

regards

My DD used to work at Build a Bear Workshop and one year they ran out of the Frosty/sets. The buyers are trying to predict sales usually a full year in advance, not to mention that some things are limited editions. Children were upset and crying the week before Christmas b/c they came in w/ single parents on their Christmas break and were sold out.

But, about the 2nd week of January, some woman brought in two complete sets w/ Frosty and returned them. Why? Because she "couldn't get enough on eBay for them." :furious: By then, who wants Frosty? Kids who got gift cards had already come into spend them and the two Frostys sat around for quite some time instead of bringing some child joy on Christmas. It's a good thing I wasn't working there. Greed, pure and simple and NOTHING to do with a "free market economy" and "manufacturer shortage" :sad2:

I'm all for making a buck on eBay (beanie babies in the 90s anyone??? :teacher: ), but buying the good stuff out from under kids in order to profit is just wrong.

bellarella said:
If there wasn't eBay, you would still be "competing" for the item in your stores with all the people who do buy off of eBay. There's not more competition for items because of eBay.

I disagree here.. Yes, if it weren't for ebay, you would still be competing for the item, BUT, you and your neighbor would at least be competing for the item at RETAIL price, NOT over-inflated ebay price!! I understand supply and demand - however, these ebayers (most of them) go out and DELIBERATELY buy up the great toys (as another poster HEARD) and then try to turn around and put a BIN on ebay for 4x's the retail price.
I would rather "compete" with other shoppers in the store for an item and at least whoever gets it, pays only the price it was supposed to be MSRP'd at..

It is NOT the limited availability that is the problem that the OP is stating, it is the crazy amount of the limited products that the sellers on ebay are asking for crazy money for..

I agree --- it's a shame that some kids won't get what they REALLY want b/c of ebay inflating prices.

For example, the other day, i was in WM, saw a bunch of new Littlest Pet Shops, and grabbed one of each for my dd. (13 total). However, i also grabbed 2 pets for someone on the DIS who DESPARATELY was in need of them.. to make her sis's Christmas. So, i got one for her.. and then i came home and pm'd her to let her know i found one.. Now, if she didn't want it, then yes, i probably could have put it on ebay and made a profit.. however, i couldn't do that.. i would have returned it to the store and at least given another parent a hopeful chance to get it at regular price. But, i was very glad i was able to help a DIS'er out!! :banana:

I completely understand your frustration, OP. This is the first year that one of my kids will be disappointed because I couldn't find his number one toy on his list. Well, thankfully, he will only be half disappointed because I did get his mickey mouse clubhouse, but couldn't find any of the figures to go with it. I refuse to feed the greed on ebay and the nearest store that I could find that carries them is over an hour away. I did drive out there one time but they were sold out.

Unfortunately, as long as people are willing to pay the ebay prices, sellers will continue to hoard the toys to make a huge profit at a child's expense.

Santa will be writing an I.O.U. to my son for the figures. I feel sad about that, but I'm not giving my hard earned money to someone who makes a living clearing out the shelves as soon as a shipment of a "hot" toy hits the stores so that no one else has a fair chance of getting one at regular price.

Good luck in your search! I just wanted to let you know that many of us feel the same way!

bartleby1 said:
I completely understand your frustration, OP. This is the first year that one of my kids will be disappointed because I couldn't find his number one toy on his list. Well, thankfully, he will only be half disappointed because I did get his mickey mouse clubhouse, but couldn't find any of the figures to go with it. I refuse to feed the greed on ebay and the nearest store that I could find that carries them is over an hour away. I did drive out there one time but they were sold out.

Unfortunately, as long as people are willing to pay the ebay prices, sellers will continue to hoard the toys to make a huge profit at a child's expense.

Santa will be writing an I.O.U. to my son for the figures. I feel sad about that, but I'm not giving my hard earned money to someone who makes a living clearing out the shelves as soon as a shipment of a "hot" toy hits the stores so that no one else has a fair chance of getting one at regular price.

Good luck in your search! I just wanted to let you know that many of us feel the same way!

See, this DISGUSTS me, i just checked on ebay, and there are 368 Mickey mouse "figures" auctions listed!!!! :furious: Yet, none on store shelves.. :guilty: Unbelievable..
Bartleby1, i hope you can find some.. Which ones specifically does he want? I will keep my eyes open.. :)

bartleby1 said:

I can check at my Walmart for you. I got them for 3 other Disser's. It irratated me that people were having to buy them at crazy prices on ebay. They are 7.97 at our Walmart and I put them in the flat rate boxes. Let me know.

It does happen. Last year I went to Home Depot to buy a hand held vacumn that was on clearence, the clerk said a guy walked out with about 20 of them in the afternoon. Said he probably got them to sell on EBAY :(

bartleby1 said:

Sent you a PM :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter