Ebates 20% back for Orbitz tickets

kimbe21

Mouseketeer
Today (2/18/14), Ebates is offering 20% back on Orbitz Activity reservations. WDW tickets are considered an Activity Reservation. This is an awesome deal! And YES, you can link your Orbitz tickets to MDE so you can select FP+ ahead of time. You won't be able to link the tickets for about a week and you will have to have a CM do it but the money you save is worth the extra phone call!

I think we posted at the same time:goodvibes.

Here's my plan and I would appreciate anyone with experience with this to tell me if I am wrong on any of the steps...

Step 1: Buy (3) Adult and (1) Child passes from Orbitz with the "Buy 3, Get 2 Free" park hopper option. This costs $1348.31

Step 2: Receive a 20% rebate into my EBates account which will be about $269

Step 3: Buy $500 in Disney Gift Cards from Target using RedCard and Pharmacy discount ($451.25) AND apply the rebate funds for a total cost of $182.25

(...bear with me...you'll see why this step is needed:scratchin)

Step 4: Redeem ticket vouchers at Guest Relations in October and use them for one day. Then, UPGRADE them to AP's...
...current DVC AP price: $1976.64
...current 5-Day PH proce: $1462.25
...Use the gift cards to pay the difference of $514.39
(**I am aware that the prices for the AP and the park-hoppers will go up between now and October, but it is the difference in price that will impact my overall cost**)

So, based on this plan, my total cost for (4) AP's would be...

$1544.95!:banana::banana::banana:

($1348.31 for the Orbitz tickets + $182.25 for the gift cards + $14.39 leftover)

Here's my concerns:

1. Can I use multiple gift cards at guest relations to upgrade to the AP's?
2. There will be no problem with the DATES that I use when buying the tickets through Orbitz, correct? We are looking at flying out on Sunday, but if the only non-stop flight that day is late, we will leave on Saturday instead.
3. If we link the Orbitz tickets to our MDE and make FP+ reservations, what will happen to those FP+ if we upgrade to an AP? I would hope that it wouldn't wipe them out.
4. Final question...how long until the Orbitz rebate posts? Does it hold until AFTER I pick up the tickets? We aren't going until October so if it credits within 6 weeks, I should have no problems getting it (via PayPal) before we leave.

I'm ready to pull the trigger...but I want to make sure my plan is correct:thumbsup2.

Wow! I don't know how much help I can offer but I have to commend you on the thought process! I love the detailed steps all leading to huge money saved!

I don't think it is a problem at all to use multiple gift cards to purchase APs.

As far as the dates go- not sure I understand your question for sure. From what I have found Orbitz only has this ticket deal for certain dates. I entered a 2 week period even though we are only going to be there 8 days. I left a day or 2 on each side of our planned trip in case something happens and we need to adjust the dates.

Not sure about the AP wiping out the scheduled FP+.

I purchased an Orbitz ticket a week ago and the money has already posted to my Ebates account. I have heard that for some people it doesn't post until after their trip. Not sure why it isn't consistent.

Here's my plan and I would appreciate anyone with experience with this to tell me if I am wrong on any of the steps...

Step 1: Buy (3) Adult and (1) Child passes from Orbitz with the "Buy 3, Get 2 Free" park hopper option. This costs $1348.31

Step 2: Receive a 20% rebate into my EBates account which will be about $269

Step 3: Buy $500 in Disney Gift Cards from Target using RedCard and Pharmacy discount ($451.25) AND apply the rebate funds for a total cost of $182.25

(...bear with me...you'll see why this step is needed:scratchin)

Step 4: Redeem ticket vouchers at Guest Relations in October and use them for one day. Then, UPGRADE them to AP's...
(**I am aware that the prices for the AP and the park-hoppers will go up between now and October, but it is the difference in price that will impact my overall cost**)

So, based on this plan, my total cost for (4) AP's would be...

$1544.95!:banana::banana::banana:

($1348.31 for the Orbitz tickets + $182.25 for the gift cards + $14.39 leftover)

Here's my concerns:

1. Can I use multiple gift cards at guest relations to upgrade to the AP's?
2. There will be no problem with the DATES that I use when buying the tickets through Orbitz, correct? We are looking at flying out on Sunday, but if the only non-stop flight that day is late, we will leave on Saturday instead.
3. If we link the Orbitz tickets to our MDE and make FP+ reservations, what will happen to those FP+ if we upgrade to an AP? I would hope that it wouldn't wipe them out.
4. Final question...how long until the Orbitz rebate posts? Does it hold until AFTER I pick up the tickets? We aren't going until October so if it credits within 6 weeks, I should have no problems getting it (via PayPal) before we leave.

I'm ready to pull the trigger...but I want to make sure my plan is correct:thumbsup2.

You can't link them until after you get there. Orbitz just gives you a voucher that you print and turn in and they give you a real ticket for it. I know people have said they were told they could link them but that's incorrect. From my experience using these vouchers, some CMs have no idea what they are or how they work.

I know the linking of the Orbitz vouchers has been a debate on many threads but I have had success linking the tickets. i have spoken with 4 different CM that have replied without hesitation that the vouchers could be linked. Here's what I did:

Purchased a WDW B3G2 ticket from Orbitz. Waited 4 days and called the My Disney Experience help desk and asked them to link my tickets (It takes a few days for the Orbitz confirmation number to enter the Disney system). I gave them the voucher number and the CM said he would work with his tech support to try to link the tickets. At the end of the call he was not able to link the tickets. Two days later I received an email that stated my ticket had been added to MDE. I checked my account and indeed the the 5 day MYW ticket was added and attached to my name. I called the help desk just to verify and the CM said that the ticket was linked and I could begin selecting FP+ at my 60 day window.

What I learned is that it may take 7-10 days for the Orbitz confirmation number to enter the Disney system so I will wait at least that long before I call and try to link the tickets I purchased today.

This was my experience. Others may not have been successful but it can be done!

the 20% is just for today and then it will go back to 10%. Ebates runs "double cash back" on at least one vendor every day. They may run this deal for Orbitz again but no one knows when.

I have never used ebates before but was just looking at this deal. It seems we would save about $100 on our tickets with the cash back. How does the 20% work? It is put into your ebates account and then you spend it on that site for giftcards?

I have never used ebates before but was just looking at this deal. It seems we would save about $100 on our tickets with the cash back. How does the 20% work? It is put into your ebates account and then you spend it on that site for giftcards?
No, they pay out quarterly.

You can choose to receive a check or a Paypal deposit.

:thumbsup2

Just wanted to add my thanks to the OP! I ended up buying a couple of 3+2 hoppers for another time. We have PAPs that are still active but they will expire before we head to F&W in the fall. I was debating whether to purchase the DVC PAP voucher while I'm in Disney next month or if I should just get 5-day hoppers. This pretty much tipped the scale for me.

A few questions about this. Will Disney really credit you the current 5-day PH price for the Orbitz tickets??

Also, if your plan would work for upgrading to an AP, would it work for upgrading to non-expiring tickets?

A few questions about this. Will Disney really credit you the current 5-day PH price for the Orbitz tickets?? Also, if your plan would work for upgrading to an AP, would it work for upgrading to non-expiring tickets?

It should work. It's called price bridging and as long as you use the ticket once, Disney will credit you the full price.

You can upgrade the Orbitz tickets just like any other Disney ticket. Last year I bought the 5 day PH pass and upgraded at the ticket window for a 6 day. It cost me an additional $10 (which is the difference in price from a 5 day to a 6 day). There was no question about how much I paid for the ticket. Disney will charge you the difference between the two tickets.

It should work. It's called price bridging and as long as you use the ticket once, Disney will credit you the full price.

I see - thanks.

One more question. Do you have to use one day of the ticket before you can upgrade it?

This is my thought - I am going to be at WDW for the Princess Half Marathon this weekend but I am not sure if we will be going to any of the parks. My thought was that I could buy the Orbitz 3 + 2 ticket and upgrade it to a non-expiring ticket, even if we didn't use any of the days. But if you have to use a day before you can upgrade, that might not work (if we end up not going to a park).

Edited to add: Looking at the numbers, it might be just as much (or more) of a savings to buy the 10-day non-expiring ticket from Orbitz and not hassle with upgrading. Here is my math:

Orbitz 3 + 2 PH cost $340
Disney 5 day PH cost $370
Savings from upgrading $30
Savings from 20% $70
So a total savings of $100

Orbitz 10 day non-expiring ticket cost $770
Savings from 20% $150

So it seems that the better deal is to just purchase the non-expiring ticket directly from Orbitz and not worry about upgrading . . . Am I missing something?

If were not staying on site can we purchase these tickets? Where do you redeem the vouchers? It ask for dates, do they have to be on the exact dates? Like I'm staying 7 but want 3+2 can we skip a day? Thanks

I see - thanks.

One more question. Do you have to use one day of the ticket before you can upgrade it?

This is my thought - I am going to be at WDW for the Princess Half Marathon this weekend but I am not sure if we will be going to any of the parks. My thought was that I could buy the Orbitz 3 + 2 ticket and upgrade it to a non-expiring ticket, even if we didn't use any of the days. But if you have to use a day before you can upgrade, that might not work (if we end up not going to a park).
If you're not going into a park, do you really need to upgrade it this weekend? Why not wait until you actually use it?

You could upgrade it without using it first, but you will lose the advantage of "bridging" the ticket from what you paid to whatever the current gate price is.

If were not staying on site can we purchase these tickets? Where do you redeem the vouchers? It ask for dates, do they have to be on the exact dates? Like I'm staying 7 but want 3+2 can we skip a day? Thanks

Anyone can purchase these tickets. It doesn't matter if you are staying on Disney property or not. You redeem the voucher at any one of the Disney park ticket windows. I am going for 8 days but put in a 2 week period to cover days before & after my trip in case we have to change our plans. Once you redeem your tickets they are good for 14 days from first use (unless you buy the no expiration option) so it doesn't matter if you skip a day or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!