• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eating in line

auntyjenn

Dreaming of Disney
I"ve heard its culturally unacceptable to eat while you"re walking around; what about standing in line for an attraction?

I heard this when at markets. People had to eat their icecream at the stall.

I frequently forgot though, and walked around eating plenty of food at Disney (mainly icecream, churros, popcorn). I didn't notice any looks, nor did I notice if other people were or weren't doing it.
I also shared popcorn with some Japanese locals queuing for a ride at Universal Studios. They didn't seem to have a problem.

I didn't notice too much either way. Children certainly eat from their popcorn buckets when walking around, but there are very few children at the Tokyo parks. Adults eat from their popcorn buckets when in line. I'm not sure about other foods or at other times. I always ate my ice creams "on the go" and I don't recall any funny looks.

You won't get any looks because Japanese people are too polite, but it is still considered rude to walk around and eat. I bet if you had something messy like ice cream they wouldnt let you in the queue until you finish, but a popcorn bucket would be fine. Also no eating or drinking on the train unless it is a longer one like a shinkansan.

You won't get any looks because Japanese people are too polite, but it is still considered rude to walk around and eat. I bet if you had something messy like ice cream they wouldnt let you in the queue until you finish, but a popcorn bucket would be fine. Also no eating or drinking on the train unless it is a longer one like a shinkansan.

Actually the general rule for trains, is if there is a fold down table you are allowed to eat and drink on it. So you're allowed to eat/drink on most Limited Expresses as well.

And don't ever put shoes on seats. People will give you a dirty look and might say something. That's a much bigger faux pas.

And don't ever put shoes on seats. People will give you a dirty look and might say something. That's a much bigger faux pas.

Very true!

DD (age 5) and I were sitting on a bench at Toyota Mega Web, before I'd even noticed she'd pulled her legs up and her shoes were on the bench, a security guard came and motioned sternly for her to get them off.

After that experience, one of the first things I did when we got on the long distance train to Nikko was to tell the kids to take their shoes off.

I"ve heard its culturally unacceptable to eat while you"re walking around; what about standing in line for an attraction?

You'll see people do it at Disney because they will be a lot of tourists from other places. We ate our popcorn in line but when we were getting closer to the front an attendant would ask if we had popcorn in it so she could tape it shut before we rode. Most people seemed to "pull over" and eat their ice cream/churro/mochi to the side and I don't recall seeing anyone eating or drinking anything in line except the popcorn though.

Yes, eating while walking is considered a bad manner. But some people do it at places like theme parks or festivals.

I don't know if you are allowed to enter the attraction with food in your hand. I have seen people eating popcorn or taking out snacks out of the purses, after getting in line and while waiting.

...We ate our popcorn in line but when we were getting closer to the front an attendant would ask if we had popcorn in it so she could tape it shut before we rode.

Interesting, that has never happened to us, but makes sense. We were on 20K Under the Sea, and our group got so excited that we dropped our popcorn bucket and it all spilled out.

I have not seen too many eat while in line, with the exception of popcorn.

I was thinking of having our snacks like goyza dog or tiger tail in line to save time and because some lines will be very long.

I checked the official website, and it does ask you not to bring food and drinks to the attractions. So CM may stop you. Popcorn bucket is okay as long as you close it before getting in the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter