Eating at Disney after Weight Loss Surgery

Maleficent_Hades

OKW DVC owner 5/21
Wondering if any one here has had weight loss surgery and what they did for food at Disney.

My husband just had the Gastric Sleeve surgery on January 25th 2021 and my Gastric Sleeve surgery is scheduled for March 8th 2021. We have a Disney trip planned for December 3rd-11th 2021 and wanted to see what others have done about food after surgery at Disney.

Anything completely off limits? Can we still enjoy food at Disney? Any tips are greatly appreciated <3

I had gastric sleeve in 2017. I plan on going to universal next year . I would bring some protein powder/bars in my suitcase. Also you can order items from Insta cart and have them delivered to the resort. your resort has a mini fridge. I have seen where people on the internet buy stuff and make salads or deli meat sandwiches on lettuce buns. they also sell egg lands best hardboiled eggs, greek yogurt, If they have refillable mugs available you can always mix your protein in coffee. would be great options for breakfast or snacks. You could also get string cheese or beef jerky.Do not forgot when eating focus on protein and veggies first at any meal. At counter service you can get rotisserie chicken or salmon and steamed veggies . Both you and your husband can easily split these meals, even meals you splurge on. You can get delicious salads anywhere. I plan on doing all of the above and sharing with my husband daughter and grandbabies on splurge things. Portions at Disney are huge. Thankfully sharing will help.

lisam427 thank you so much, that is great advice!! we already figured we'd share a lot of meals, but i wouldn't have thought to try protein in coffee :)

lisam427 thank you so much, that is great advice!! we already figured we'd share a lot of meals, but i wouldn't have thought to try protein in coffee :)
protein coffee is wonderful! you have to try it. i mix either my premiere shakes or whey powder with it. it tastes awesome. feels like i am cheating and drinking a sugarfilled coffee drink. if you are using protein powder make sure to temper it. the hot coffee can curdle the whey protein. inspire is a brand of protein powder. check out the video below, use any powdered whey you have using this method.

I drink protein coffee every morning. I use protein powder, which sometimes clumps with super hot coffee, so I mix the protein powder with a little warm water at the bottom of the cup. After I've mixed them and the powder is dissolved, I add the coffee and some flavoring (I love sugar free Torani and Skinny Mixes flavoring). It is delicious.

I am following this thread because I'm planning a Disney/Universal vacation for November. I had gastric bypass in April of 2019. I am trying to plan how I will be able to eat when I'm in Orlando. I am a pescatarian (the only meat I eat is seafood) so it makes it a little more difficult to find protein at restaurants. I will probably be bringing some food with me or might do an Instacart order to be delivered to the resort.

I drink protein coffee every morning. I use protein powder, which sometimes clumps with super hot coffee, so I mix the protein powder with a little warm water at the bottom of the cup. After I've mixed them and the powder is dissolved, I add the coffee and some flavoring (I love sugar free Torani and Skinny Mixes flavoring). It is delicious.

I am following this thread because I'm planning a Disney/Universal vacation for November. I had gastric bypass in April of 2019. I am trying to plan how I will be able to eat when I'm in Orlando. I am a pescatarian (the only meat I eat is seafood) so it makes it a little more difficult to find protein at restaurants. I will probably be bringing some food with me or might do an Instacart order to be delivered to the resort.

Jen you will do fine in Disney and Universal. They have tons of seafood meals at both parks. Columbia house (if open) has lobster roll (leave the bun eat the inside), tuna sandwich, vegetarian chili. salmon with steamed broccoli. most restaurants have seafood dishes. if not there are vegetarian options as well. you will all do great. just remember protein first when you can.

when you go on your trips let me know how you did!!! love to hear trip reports!!

Jen you will do fine in Disney and Universal. They have tons of seafood meals at both parks. Columbia house (if open) has lobster roll (leave the bun eat the inside), tuna sandwich, vegetarian chili. salmon with steamed broccoli. most restaurants have seafood dishes. if not there are vegetarian options as well. you will all do great. just remember protein first when you can.

when you go on your trips let me know how you did!!! love to hear trip reports!!
Thank you for the suggestions. I have been looking at menus for some of the restaurants. I am just going to make sure I get my protein goals in each day.

honestly the whole protein in the coffee has helped me a lot. i had such a hard time with the liquid diet pre-op. 2 weeks of premier protein shakes 4 times a day killed my stomach. threw up a few times because my stomach was just done with the whole thing. but at least adding one shake to my coffee helped relieve some pain. now i'm almost 2 weeks post op and do half my protein in my coffee. hoping tomorrow when i see my doctor i can move onto the puree stage.

honestly the whole protein in the coffee has helped me a lot. i had such a hard time with the liquid diet pre-op. 2 weeks of premier protein shakes 4 times a day killed my stomach. threw up a few times because my stomach was just done with the whole thing. but at least adding one shake to my coffee helped relieve some pain. now i'm almost 2 weeks post op and do half my protein in my coffee. hoping tomorrow when i see my doctor i can move onto the puree stage.
I’m jealous-I’m not allowed coffee yet. I miss it.

I’m jealous-I’m not allowed coffee yet. I miss it.
that stinks, hopefully you can have it soon. i'm only allowed one cup and it has to be decaf. luckily i'm now on the puree stage so i switched to a different protein powder that is easy on my stomach but less protein. but its cinnamon roll flavor and makes my coffee taste so good! i just can't wait to get to solid food. i have a lot of recipes i can't wait to try out.

oh wow i'm only 2 weeks out and my dr and nutritionist have it on the list of what counts towards my daily liquids

I’m considering gastric sleeve so had to come search here to see how others have handled it post surgery 😂 I love WDW, and I have the issue of also being vegetarian. (Well, I guess pescatarian - but that’s only when options are limited) Already when I go I try and share with others and eat kids meals often. The treats will be the interesting part, that’s one of my favourite things about Disney.

I haven’t been to Disney yet since my surgery (gastric bypass, April 2019), but I will be going in November. I am also a pescatarian, so I have been looking at menus to see if they offer any bariatric friendly pescatarian or vegetarian meals. There are some places where there is nothing I could order but I have seen some good options. I’m making lists of places that do offer healthy seafood or plant-based meals. My teenage daughter is also a pescatarian and doesn’t eat much, so we have decided to split meals when we can. Then I won’t be wasting money since I don’t eat much and she will have room for dessert (which is her favorite food group) 😂.
I want to do one character breakfast so my younger daughter can see the characters, so I will just have to know that I will be spending a lot of money for my meal that day without being able to eat much of it.

Preparing for bypass surgery. I'm in the "weigh-in" stage with a goal of having surgery in October/November. I've postponed a December 2021 WDW trip to January 2022 but I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat anything at the Parks. I've already looked through a lot of park menus ... I don't want to spend 10 days eating chicken nuggets.

I had RNY on March 9 and my hubby and I will spend two weeks in WDW right after Thanksgiving. I eat off his plate A LOT now and expect to at WDW- do they have an issue with meal sharing?

Preparing for bypass surgery. I'm in the "weigh-in" stage with a goal of having surgery in October/November. I've postponed a December 2021 WDW trip to January 2022 but I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat anything at the Parks. I've already looked through a lot of park menus ... I don't want to spend 10 days eating chicken nuggets.
not too sure about bypass as i had the sleeve but i wasn't able to eat solid food until 2 months after surgery. i'm just about 4 months out now and i just started eating fruits and veggies.

I had RNY on March 9 and my hubby and I will spend two weeks in WDW right after Thanksgiving. I eat off his plate A LOT now and expect to at WDW- do they have an issue with meal sharing?
as far as i know they let you share food. not 100% sure for table service, but i would think they'd be as accommodating for special dietary needs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter