Eat at Home 3!

I have a success story to share! Yesterday we were out shopping and I hit the Eat at Home wall. I wanted seafood and I wanted it now so we decided to go to a local restaurant for dinner after shopping. I was looking for gifts for our friends’ grandchildren. They’re from the UK but love visiting us here in Louisiana, especially if we manage to get LSU football tickets! I wanted to get cheerleader outfits for the girls but couldn’t find anything in my price range. I was fretting until I realized that if we skipped our $$ dinner we could use that money to buy the nicer uniforms at the university bookstore. Yay! We scrounged dinner at home and today I’m heading over to LSU to buy some seriously cute things for two very cute little girls with the savings.

I didn’t exactly stick to this week’s plan because we had two nights when either we were out or no one was hungry. I dropped the shrimp dish (no shrimp in the freezer but I was missing seafood!) and the jambalaya. Still, we didn’t eat out! Next week is a short one, we leave for Disney early Friday morning.

My goal for next week is to use up all of the produce in the fridge before we leave.

10/20-24
Sunday

Grill
Sausage
Bone in chicken breast
Grilled veggies (peppers, zucchini, onions)

(Almost) Meatless Monday
Red beans (ham bone)
Rice
Oven roasted green beans
(Making a big pot of red beans and will freeze most for dinners at Disney)

Taco Tuesday
Mexican Stuffed peppers
Yellow squash

Wednesday
Ham
Green beans
Apple crisp

Thursday
Clean out fridge

Friday (Disney Day!)
We’re towing our 5th wheel down and will stop for the night near Ocala.
Breakfast
Cheddar biscuits
Apples

Lunch
Ham/cheese wraps
Carrots
Cookies

Dinner (in camper)
Chicken chili
Salad
Corn muffins

This weeks pork loin and eggplant parmesan

90226470-63E3-44E9-B261-1EAE7A6969B0.jpeg
5A08AD97-9EA8-45D6-BAC8-380F2EEA6148.jpeg

Last edited:
Phew, just got back from my morning shop. We mostly stuck to the plan last week (I did drop a meal b/c we had leftovers, but we ate at home for all the eat at home meals:)...and now I have a new plan. Salmon filets were a great deal, and with eggplants being SOOOO cheap, I bought tahini and am scratch-making my own baba ghanouj for the 1st time today...that's the fun part...here's the rest of the plan...

Sunday - Baked Salmon Filets with lemon and dill, Baba Ghanouj with tortilla chips, Raspberries and Bananas
Monday - Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Green Beans, Raspberries and Red Grapes
Tuesday - Beef Tacos, Fresh Made Guacamole with Chips, Sliced Apples
Wednesday - Chinese BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs, Roasted Asparagus, Chocolate Banana Muffins, More Sliced Apples
Thursday - Chinese Fried Rice with Green Onion, Leftover Chicken, Egg, and Leftover Veg, Homemade Miso Soup, Clementines
Friday - Leftovers OR Frozen Dinner with Salads and Smoothies (I have Aldi Dairy-Free Chicken Sticks, so that's the bag plan if needed)
Saturday - OUT

So, we did NOT eat out again...a long story with a mini golf Groupon unable to be used, so then we'd be too early for dinner...so I made Sunday's plan yesterday - a Korean bulogi beef and veg stir fry over rice with strawberries and sesame-dressed salad. So, now, I'm gonna save that bonus dinner out for Halloween, so I can pick up fast food after Church before we commence trick or treating...win/win probably there:)...anyway, here's the plan (I moved Monday to Sunday and dropped in an easy dinner there b/c our week is nuts this week)...

Sunday - Homemade Cocktail Meatballs, Dairy-Free Pumpkin/Pecan/Coconut Bread Pudding, Homemade Baba Ghanouj with Chips, Strawberries (the dip was originally with asian food day, but I didn't have time...so now, it kinda fits a football "serve yourself" day)
Monday - All Beef Hot Dogs, Baked BBQ Potato "Chips" (cheap bag clearanced at Aldi's), Strawberries and Blackberries
Tuesday - Citrus Tea Baked Chicken Thighs, Asian Salad, Pineapple and Clementines, Crescent Rolls
Wednesday - Spaghetti with Meat and Veg Sauce (promised a kid this meal this week b/c we aren't having pasta today), Blackberries and Grapes
Thursday - Chicken and Kimchi Fried Rice with Egg and Veg, Roasted Butternut Squash, Sliced Apples
Friday - Leftovers or Mac & Cheese (Dairy free for me), Green Salad, Fruit Smoothies
Saturday - OUT (and we're definitely going out b/c we have tons of Halloween activities:))...

I've been lurking on this thread for a while.
DH and I retired after teaching school 33 years on 5/31. Our monthly income was reduced by about 35%. So I am really looking for ways to save on monthly expenses mostly for travel and fun. I made a budget that is livable but without splurge or Disney money. We have savings but it is way too soon to touch that.
Food and eating out are a great place to save. We have 2 married daughters and 2 college daughters. One lives at home. We are paying a lot right now for the two of them to not have student loans - don't get me started. But one will graduate next year so that will help out. We are probably averaging $1200 in college related costs per month right now.

The past few years we'd gotten to where we ate out or got take out for a meal probably 8+ times in a week - considering a week has 21 meals. Sometime it was one or two of us and sometimes it was a big group and DH and I would usually get the check. Now we are getting breakfast - 0, Lunch - 1 time a week and dinner less than 1 time per week. That counts no take out either. There is a meat and two for $5 place that I get once every 3+ weeks and maybe take out pizza once a month. So we are doing a lot better. I like cooking and now I have time rather than coming in tired at 5:30 and everything is frozen because I forgot to defrost something AND the clean up after cooking only wanting a shower and the bed! My longest stretch was back in August when we went 10 days with no eat-out/take-out. We had a trip in Sept and one earlier this month that interfered.

Current Week - (we got home late Saturday)
Sunday - Lunch - Salads from Wendy's AND Supper - Soup and Sandwiches from Panera (for 5 people) !!!!:crutches:
Monday - Veggie Soup
Tuesday - DD#2 took her Theatre Class to One-Act Regional Competition AND WON. We drove the truck and we attended the celebration late night at Waffle House and we paid for DD's supper as well.
Wednesday - One sheet roasted chicken, potatoes and broccoli
Thursday - "Fried Chicken" Salads (copied from a salad I had at a local restaurant)
Friday - Mini cheese burgers and oven roasted sweet potato fries
Saturday - Blueberry Waffles (mix) and bacon and scrambled eggs
Sunday (tomorrow lunch) - Leftover Veggie Soup

Grade for the week C- :rolleyes1

I created a master list of ideas I'll post separately.

I got 3 Red Baron Pizzas for $10 for supper next Thursday (Halloween) or Friday. We do frozen pizza once or twice a month if I find a bargain.

We may do lunch with some extended family one day next week but I hope for NO other non-home meals until next Saturday when DD#2 takes her group to State!!!

This is my master list I've created. With 10 different soup ideas I try to do a new one every Monday. We can eat left overs for lunch or freeze it for quick meals.

Meal Planning
Soup or Stew
once per week in cool weather – MONDAY NIGHTS
Salad meal in hot weather – “Fried Chicken Salad” or Taco Salad...
Loaded Baked Potato
Veggie with beef
Veggie with ham
Chili
Chicken Tortilla Soup
French Onion
Tomato with Grilled Cheese
Chicken Noodle or Rice or dumplings
Italian Veggie and meatball
Brunswick Stew

Fun Foods (usually Friday or Saturday)
Hamburgers
Chili Hotdogs
Pizza (frozen or homemade)
Tacos/Quesadillas
Cheeseburger Pie
Taco Pie

Breakfast for Supper
Traditional- Bacon/eggs/sausage/grits/biscuits...
Waffles or Pancakes with bacon or sausage or ham and eggs
Casserole and hash browns

Themes
Italian
Mexican
Asian

Traditional
Meatloaf w/Garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes
Smothered Pork chops
BBQ Pork chops
Baked Pork chops
"Country Fried Steak" (baked) and gravy
Steak (on sale)
Fried Chicken
Baked Chicken
Grilled chicken
BBQ Pork roast
Beef Roast
Cuban Pork Loin

Tonight we did chicken baked in Italian dressing marinade and then we sprinkled salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Couscous and green beans on the side.
Tomorrow is slow cooker chicken and cheese penne with salad
Monday-leftovers
Tuesday-black bean burgers, sweet potato fries
Wednesday-Buffalo chicken quesadillas
Thursday-leftovers or frozen pizza while we wait for trick or treaters
Friday-my grandparents are in town and taking us out for dinner

So, we did NOT eat out again...a long story with a mini golf Groupon unable to be used, so then we'd be too early for dinner...so I made Sunday's plan yesterday - a Korean bulogi beef and veg stir fry over rice with strawberries and sesame-dressed salad. So, now, I'm gonna save that bonus dinner out for Halloween, so I can pick up fast food after Church before we commence trick or treating...win/win probably there:)...anyway, here's the plan (I moved Monday to Sunday and dropped in an easy dinner there b/c our week is nuts this week)...

Sunday - Homemade Cocktail Meatballs, Dairy-Free Pumpkin/Pecan/Coconut Bread Pudding, Homemade Baba Ghanouj with Chips, Strawberries (the dip was originally with asian food day, but I didn't have time...so now, it kinda fits a football "serve yourself" day)
Monday - All Beef Hot Dogs, Baked BBQ Potato "Chips" (cheap bag clearanced at Aldi's), Strawberries and Blackberries
Tuesday - Citrus Tea Baked Chicken Thighs, Asian Salad, Pineapple and Clementines, Crescent Rolls
Wednesday - Spaghetti with Meat and Veg Sauce (promised a kid this meal this week b/c we aren't having pasta today), Blackberries and Grapes
Thursday - Chicken and Kimchi Fried Rice with Egg and Veg, Roasted Butternut Squash, Sliced Apples
Friday - Leftovers or Mac & Cheese (Dairy free for me), Green Salad, Fruit Smoothies
Saturday - OUT (and we're definitely going out b/c we have tons of Halloween activities:))...

A little late this week, but here's the plan:)...

Sunday - Crockpot Indian-spiced Dahl and Veg (Carrot/Celery/Tomato/Onion), Naan, Korean Fish Cakes (these were a deal from HMart - served them on top of dahl and worked well!)
Monday - Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs, Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower, Strawberries and Blueberries
Tuesday (Kid Party, so they won't eat much) - BLTAs, Roasted Garlic Dill Potatoes, Diced Mango
Wednesday - Spaghetti with Ratatouille Sauce and Homemade Meatballs, More Strawberries
Halloween:) (after Church and before trick or treating meal) - Either gonna be crockpot pork, black bean and butternut squash chili over chips with clementines (or gonna go with pizza)
Friday - Gonna be Thursday meal or Leftovers or Boxed Mac and Cheese (with Vegan Mac for Me) with Salad and Fruit Smoothies
Saturday - OUT (Kids have a college tour, so we'll be splitting our outing)

Now that I am recovered from my first and ONLY marathon I was able to plan and food prep. Last week after the marathon I was so sick and couldn't eat for several days so no meal planning.

Saturday: Philly Steak Sandwiches, Spinach artichoke dip
Sunday: Mexican Lentils one pot dish
Monday: Mock Panera Broccoli Cheese soup, rolls
Tuesday: Spaghetti Squash Lasagna, salad
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Frozen Pizza - Halloween tradition
Friday: Spicy Sausages and baked potatoes

Breakfast all week is sweet potato hash, fruit and yogurt
Lunches are any leftovers

I just love this thread, honestly! I am proud of us for doing the difficult to save for the fun! Our family has been SO BUSY, I am exhausted beyond reason. Things will finally settle down a bit this week. You will notice that a couple of these meals have been planned for 2-3 weeks. Our busy-ness has interrupted my best laid plans multiple times since returning from our cruise. I am fairly certain, we will be able to finally stick to the plan again starting this week. Fingers crossed and prayers going up!!!!

Wednesday:
DH and I will be going to a work dinner for his company...free date night in Downtown Nashville. :cloud9:

Thursday:
BBQ Meatballs
Smashed Potatoes
Broccoli

Friday:
Baked Fish
Rice Pilaf
Sautee'd Green Beans

Saturday:
Curry Chicken
Basmati Rice

Sunday:
Vegetable Soup
Crackers

Monday:
Pulled BBQ Chicken Baked Potatoes

Taco Tuesday:
Nachos

We are back from vacation and I just need five days of meals to finish the week. This is what we have already here with minimal shopping effort (I just spent $31 woohoo).

1. Taco soup, salad
  2. Chicken and dumplings, fried green tomatoes
  3. Corn chowder, cornbread muffins, peas
  4. Cajun chicken legs, slaw
  5. Tomato pie, Black bean and corn salad, Deviled eggs, Fruit salad

Next week is a tad off as it's my birthday week and we are getting a new fridge delivered next week, so we are working to clean it out! Going to enjoy it :)

Tomorrow is herb baked chicken, rolls, salad
Sunday-slow cooker pot roast with carrots and potatoes
Monday-leftovers
Tuesday-either frozen pizza or leftovers (or a mix of both lol)
Wed-it's my birthday!:love: BF has something planned but not sure what!
Thursday-slow cooker salsa chicken, Mexican corn
Friday-leftovers
Saturday-my parents will be in town, and they're taking us out for my birthday!

We ate a lot of leftovers last week so I have some repeats that weren’t made.

1. Chicken and dumplings, fried green tomatoes (we are almost out of green garden tomatoes)
  2. Tomato pie (last red garden tomatoes), Black bean and corn salad
  3. Beef pot pie, strawberry pie
  4. Asian beef bowl, cabbage, zucchini
  5. Sausage, eggs, waffles
  6. Hamburger vegetable soup (garden tomatoes from the freezer yum) , corn bread
  7. Fried chicken, potatoes, peas

Shopping list: 3 pounds Ground beef, chicken stock, mayo, celery, pie shells, jello, eggs, syrup, plus $30 of random stuff we don’t need.

A little late this week, but here's the plan:)...

Sunday - Crockpot Indian-spiced Dahl and Veg (Carrot/Celery/Tomato/Onion), Naan, Korean Fish Cakes (these were a deal from HMart - served them on top of dahl and worked well!)
Monday - Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs, Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower, Strawberries and Blueberries
Tuesday (Kid Party, so they won't eat much) - BLTAs, Roasted Garlic Dill Potatoes, Diced Mango
Wednesday - Spaghetti with Ratatouille Sauce and Homemade Meatballs, More Strawberries
Halloween:) (after Church and before trick or treating meal) - Either gonna be crockpot pork, black bean and butternut squash chili over chips with clementines (or gonna go with pizza)
Friday - Gonna be Thursday meal or Leftovers or Boxed Mac and Cheese (with Vegan Mac for Me) with Salad and Fruit Smoothies
Saturday - OUT (Kids have a college tour, so we'll be splitting our outing)

Late again, but it's another week of cooking:). No Hmart or Aldi trip this week, b/c I have produce still to get rid of (so Safeway filled in the little I needed:))...here's the plan...(there are frozen pizza and tacos as specific requests from my youngest)

Sunday - Safeway $5 subs, Roasted Veg Medley (used up piece parts of veg in my fridge - 1/3 of butternut squash, 1/3 of gray squash, 1/2 a large onion, and 1/2 bag of baby carrots), Grapes
Monday - Chicken Soft Tacos with Lettuce, Salsa, and Chopped Avocado, Refried Beans, Strawberries and Blueberries
Tuesday - Chicken and Veg Pot Pie (in Casserole form, ala Pioneer Woman, with a single pie crust laid on top), Apple Slices
Wednesday - Spaghetti and Meatballs, Green Salad
Thursday - Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp, White Rice, Roasted Carrots, Chopped Mango
Friday - Frozen Pizza night with Fruit Smoothies and Salad Bag
Saturday - Leftovers (we are going out for lunch to BGR to get rid of a local flavor expiring Nov 22, and then going to a friend's house for game night, so I may not eat, or I may finish my own lunch) - if no leftovers, it will be Mac and Cheese (regular and vegan) with fruit

Wednesday:
Stuffed Baked Potatoes

Thursday:
Fried Venison
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans

Friday:
Italian Wedding Soup
Grilled Cheese

Saturday:
Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki
Jasmine Rice

Sunday:
White Chicken Chili
Corn Chips

Monday:
Spaghetti
Garlic Toast

Taco Tuesday:
Steak Quesadillas
Ranch Style Beans

What are you all doing for thanksgiving? I got my $8 turkey yesterday. I know I’m doing strawberry cobbler (I got a flat of strawberries for my birthday), and corn casserole. I need something green.

I'm also working on the veg. It will be my 2nd dairy-free Thanksgiving prep (a decade ago, I did one for friends...now I have to do one for me:)). I don't make a ton of things b/c it's just us...

Right now, I have:
Michael Chirarello's olive oil turkey crossed with Giada's citrus turkey (aka, I take the best of both - olive oil herb rub and citrus cavity)
Make-ahead Giblet Gravy
Homemade Cranberry Sauce - I'm letting my daughter make this, so no idea what combo of fruits and spices will go in this year's version - we've done practically every one imaginable:)
Stovetop Stuffing with Plant-based butter
Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes (right now, I can almost mimic dairy-filled mash with a mix of plant based butter, olive oil, salt, and rice milk - family loves them)
Roasted Green Beans with Roasted Mushrooms, Roasted Onions, and Fried Onions - I think I'm gonna do a spin on the green bean casserole with fresh beans, mushrooms, and onions...and the perfect topping

Dessert will be Pumpkin Pie Dairy-Free Ice Cream Pies (with added Caramel Jello pudding in the pie filling) with whipped cream and caramel drizzle (for those who can have) and dairy free whipped cream for me

And for the whole day, breakfast is cinnamon rolls and coffee/juice.

Lunch is a protein/fruit tray. This year, the kids asked for fancy cheeses, so I'll do 2-3 fancy cheeses for them, some meat and hummus for me, crackers and pitas, and sliced apples and pears. Just enough to whet the appetite, but not overindulge. If I can come up with a dairy-free pumpkin dip, I'll do that for the fruit. But, that's gonna be rough b/c I haven't been a fan of any of the dairy free cream cheeses...and without those, it's gonna be tough (I may try a dairy-free yogurt with pumpkin, but texturally, it might be too thin)...

What are you all doing for thanksgiving? I got my $8 turkey yesterday. I know I’m doing strawberry cobbler (I got a flat of strawberries for my birthday), and corn casserole. I need something green.

We are a southern family, through and through..that is your warning, LOL!

Roasted Turkey with Cornbread Dressing
Creamed Potatoes with Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberry Sauce and Congealed Cranberry Salad
Deviled Eggs
Sister Schuberts Rolls
Blackberry Cobbler with Ice Cream or Whipped Cream (Hubby is not a fan of pumpkin)

Menu for the week:
Saturday: We had Chipotle as we were out buying car for DD and it was late
Sunday: Jambalaya
Monday: Meatloaf for DD, nachos for me wasn't hungry for meatloaf. :)
Tuesday: Creamy Italian chicken, rolls, mashed potatoes
Wednesday: Leftover Creamy Italian Chicken
Thursday: Spicy Sausage, Broccoli, baked potatoes
Friday: Frozen Pizza

For Thanksgiving I make breakfast and everyone stops by whenever then we go to in-laws for dinner.
Breakfast: Monkey Bread, Fruit and dip, quiche, hash brown casserole, cheese ball and crackers
Dinner: I will either make roasted brussel spouts, butternut squash, cranberry dish or spinach artichoke dip in bread bowl.

I’ve been roasting green beans on a baking sheet with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, shake of onion and garlic powders. They can be done early and reheated quickly. ( squirt of lemon juice!)
I’m going to do an acorn squash bake with wild rice and mushrooms. Changed an stuffed acorn squash recipe from Food Network.

Since I've worked in retail for over 20 years I've always had to work the night before, early the day after, and the last 10 or so years actually on Thanksgiving too. I've purchased our turkey from Honeybaked Ham but always make the sides. This is my last year of that, so next year I think I may actually attempt to make my own turkey (and hopefully it doesn't turn out like the one in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!). Some of the more traditional Thanksgiving sides my guys just don't like so I give them what they want. Sides include mashed potatoes with cream gravy, green bean casserole, corn, rolls or cornbread, cranberry sauce, and apple pie and/or pecan pie. I make a sweet potato pumpkin casserole to take to work since my family doesn't like it but my-coworkers do.

Next week is another weird week...BF and I are both traveling for work on different days....not too far of travel, but it's going to be a lot of prep and reheating. Still trying to meal plan/prep possible and try to keep this rhythm going and trying to not stress out. I love this board for keeping me accountable. This is as far as I've gotten.
Monday: Slow cooker white bean chicken chili, biscuits and butter
Tuesday: baked ziti with salad
Wednesday: I'm out of town for work, BF will have leftovers
Thursday: BF is out of town for work, I will have leftovers or heat up a frozen pizza if needed
Friday: Slow cooker marinara chicken (couldn't be easier...chicken breasts, tomato pasta sauce and some pepper in the slow cooker), cheese tortellini, maybe salad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!