Early DME timing

Capt Silly

Mouseketeer
If our flight arrives at 5:30 am, what are the chances of making an 8:45 PPO meal in MK?

We are staying at the Grand Floridian, so we could take the monorail, but would that leave enough time to freshen up and drop our carry-ons at bell services?

If our flight arrives at 5:30 am, what are the chances of making an 8:45 PPO meal in MK?

We are staying at the Grand Floridian, so we could take the monorail, but would that leave enough time to freshen up and drop our carry-ons at bell services?
You might make it, but there won't be any time to freshen up. You're going to have to literally run and even the slightest delay will mean that you won't make it.

I would cancel the ADR

You should be fine.

You will most likely arrive at GF between 7:00 and 7:30. Even if you spend a full half hour dropping off luggage and freshening up, you should be on line for the monorail by 8. That gives you plenty of time to get to the ADR.

With good luck, you can get to the restaurant closer to 8:00. They will take all PPO ADRs first come first served.

Of course, things can go wrong, and you'll be out the guarantee (flight arrives late, bad accident on the highway on the way to WDW).

I say keep the ADR.

You need to make sure you are comfortable with possibly missing the ADR and being charged as a no show.

If everything runs as it should, you will be fine. If any part of the trip has a hitch--if your flight is delayed, if you have to wait a while for a DME bus, if traffic is backed up, if the security check or bag check for the park is long, you will miss you ADR. How much risk are you comfortable with?

Don't forget that while your flight arrives at 5:30 you most likely won't be at the DME spot until 6:00. And bus may be there and you take right off, or you get on the bus and wait for it to fill, or the bus isn't even there yet. Lots of places where you can lose time.

Unless there's an unexpected issue, you should be fine. Of course, the only time I've ever booked something less than three hours after landing was the one time my flight was delayed by three hours!!!! My function was at the CR, I was staying at BLT, should have been a no brainer. But, I arrived just as the function was ending!!!
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, you should be fine. Land at 5:30, arrive at the GF by 7-7:30, drop your bags, freshen up, on the monorail by 8. And if you are late, ADRs get held for a bit...probably up to 30 mins.

Unless there's an unexpected issue, you should be fine. Of course, the only time I've ever booked something less than three hours after landing was the one time my flight was delayed by three hours!!!! My function was at the CR, I was staying at BLT, should have been a no brainer. But, I arrived just as the function was ending!!!
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, you should be fine. Land at 5:30, arrive at the GF by 7-7:30, drop your bags, freshen up, on the monorail by 8. And if you are late, ADRs get held for a bit...probably up to 30 mins.

With all respect to our esteemed moderator, you should have worded it "Typically ADRs get held for a bit". It is not guaranteed. Not to mention, you are not giving the OP any time from landing to getting to DME. I'd add at least 30 minutes to your timing.

With all respect to our esteemed moderator, you should have worded it "Typically ADRs get held for a bit". It is not guaranteed. Not to mention, you are not giving the OP any time from landing to getting to DME. I'd add at least 30 minutes to your timing.
OP didn’t say where ADR was. Some will be held more than others (crystal palace, almost certainly).

But, the timing of goofy was spot on.
Land at 5:30
Arrive at DME at 6:00
Bus departs 6:30
Arrive at GF around 7-7:30.

You want to freshen up. I doubt your room will be ready.
Plan B, if your flight is delayed. Uber or Lyft to the contemporary then walk to MK.

Could things go wrong that would lead to you missing your reservation? Sure. Travel is unpredictable. It's impossible to say with complete certainty that you will make it. More likely than not, you'll be fine. If I were you, I'd keep the reservation and hope for the best.

Thank you all for the input. By freshen up, I meant brush teeth, wash face, maybe change clothes (I certainly don't expect the room to be ready).

This is our first trip to Disney World and would love to walk into the Magic Kingdom with no crowds. I think it is worth the risk to keep the ADR.

Thank You again.

Every single time I have been running late for an ADR, I have been reassured by a CM that there is no need to rush.....ADRs are held for quite awhile. Sure, you may miss being seated on a timely basis, and have to settle for the next one, but that's the case no matter when you arrive!!! The best one was when I arrived at BoG, for dinner...hugely out of breath. Our bus from OKW took over an hour to arrive, then it was probably the pokiest driver in the fleet...took an hour and 40 mins to get from our room to MK!! So, we entered MK about 15 mins after our ADR time!!!! I told my dh and dd to take their time, and I would meet them at BoG!! As I got to the podium, the CM just laughed at me!!!! Even though I was close to half an hour late.

Here's how my timing breaks down...land (on-time, if not all bets are off) at 5:30, at the gate by 5:45. Down to DME, arrive around 6-6:15. Wait for a bus....6:15-6:30. Ride to GF...arrive by 7ish. Freshen up, it's now 7:30, monorail to MK (wait for maybe 15 mins), arrive by 7:45-8. Enter park and walk to the restaurant...should be easy. As long as the flight lands on-time.

Are you planning to brush teeth/change clothes in the GF restroom? I guess you could if absolutely necessary but wouldn’t be my first choice.

OP didn’t say where ADR was. Some will be held more than others (crystal palace, almost certainly).

But, the timing of goofy was spot on.
Land at 5:30
Arrive at DME at 6:00
Bus departs 6:30
Arrive at GF around 7-7:30.
You're forgetting Orlando traffic at that time of morning. Even though DME stays off I4 for the most part, side streets are still very crowded.

I received dire warnings to cancel an ADR I made for 3 hours after landing. We wound up having an hour and a half to kill. I think you'll be fine.

I even stopped to "freshen up" in the bathroom at MCO. No problems.

If you have any kind of travel issue with your flight simply call Disney and talk to someone. You can also try and modify the ADR to a later time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter