DVC - toe in the water

Kevin Dershem

Disney fan from Michigan
My wife and I have been toying with the idea of DVC. We, of course, love going to Disney, and have dreams of staying at the nice resorts we normally wouldn't be able to afford on our limited Disney once a year budget. We are the type of couple that lives in the Disney bubble, we get the dining plan, and research the menus to see the best value, and make sure our vacation is just pure fun. We also have desires to visit the other Disney properties. We have been weighing the pros and cons of renting DVC points versus buying. What type of advice do you have for us?

What we did is rent points for our first stay in a DVC. That solidified the desire to own points and we bought soon after...

Did you rent at a resort you that was high on your resort list of where to stay?

If you're considering buying, and want studios, buying where you hope to stay most often is critical. It is harder and harder to shift studios at 7 months. You should try a place you think would be high on your buy list.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. When we first toured, it was in 97 and we rented a studio at BW through a promotion with Entertainment Books (remember those). We were upgraded to a 1BR. It still took us six years to pull the trigger. Now, there is much greater opportunity to try out the different resorts.

Did you rent at a resort you that was high on your resort list of where to stay?

Yes, of course.. one of the benefits of renting is that you get to choose where you want to stay. We rented points at Kidani and had a fantastic time.

You'd get more replies in the "purchasing DVC" forum than here, as your question is a perennial favorite there.

DVC works best for people who:
1. can plan more than 7 months out, and preferably can plan 11 months out
2. don't need to finance their DVC purchase
3. want to stay in deluxe hotels
4. understand that "free dining" is not a perk they will ever receive

For my own advice, I would recommend:
1. read the stickies in the purchasing board to understand use year, resale versus direct, and what is actually included versus what is a perk for direct purchasers.
2. decide what type of room you'd like to stay in each year and note the points required for that in the season you want to visit.
3. Figure out what resort you'd prefer to stay at most of all
4. Figure out if you can afford to purchase, and pay maintenance fees, on that number of points at that resort.
5. RENT POINTS FOR A RESERVATION at the desired resort, in the desired room type, and see how it goes.
6. If all goes well for you, then start stalking resale listings or call DVC to make your purchase.

I cannot stress #5 enough. My wife and I narrowed it down to three resorts. We had previously stayed at the Poly, and loved it, but didn't like where the DVC rooms were located. We stayed at BCV, and missed being on the monorail loop. When we stayed at BLT, it was "Welcome Home" for us, so we bought there.

We did not "try before we buy". Our goal was to stay DVC on a value / mod budget. We had not previously stayed in any deluxe accommodation. We were POR lovers and had stayed value many many times when budget was tight. Point being, I don't consider us "resort snobs" and you can't miss what you've never had. To me, another cash trip was just wasting $ I could put toward DVC. That being said, our purchase was only about 10K and IMO worth the risk . I'd have to HATE BWV to be disappointed. I would not dump 20-30K without knowing exactly what I was getting.

We chose BWV because of the ability to stretch out points so far there and loved the walk to 2 parks access. For us, it was a fair trade off for a 2042 exp. Can't imagine not loving it! BCV I'm sure is equally great but was eliminated because of no chance for lower point option rooms and higher per point cost.

I'm sure BRV would be great too because we love the Wilderness, but not enough to ignore the 2042 exp.

Have also stayed a couple night at SSR for a last minute trip and were happy there as well.

We seriously considered SSR, OKW and BLT for the value. AKV seems like a great option for many but my kids don't like the idea of all the animals in property, so they don't want to stay there.

I'm sure I'd like Poly and VGF but I cannot swallow the high points cost. I keep reminding myself the goal was to vacation "better" for the same cost as before.

We really like being able to walk somewhere. We always intended on buying additional home resort and more points. We'd like our next contract to have a later exp. It will be SSR or BLT for us.

That was our thought process, hope it helps somewhat.

Hi Kevin,

We didn't rent or "try before you buy". Honestly, my hubby and I both love Disney (him even more than me) and he'd been researching it for a good year or two prior to us purchasing in 2009. Our kids were toddlers and we knew we'd be wanting to go to Disney annually or bi-annually for many years to come. Having stayed at the All Star resorts and once at Carribean Beach, our dream was also to be able to afford to stay at the Deluxe resorts. I was in love with Wilderness Lodge and we'd traveled there to walk around the resort. So Beautiful. We had no doubts the DVC rooms would be beautiful and it would allow us to stay at the resorts we otherwise probably wouldn't be able to afford. We were on the Disboards alot, researching and reading other threads about buying in and learning about it. In the end we opted to buy
re-sale because it was so much less than buying new and at the time you could still use it like like anyone buying in new (Disney Cruise, access to all other resorts, etc.). My understanding is now if you buy resale Disney has limited that contract to only being able to stay at that resort you own. I could be wrong on that point as I haven't been on here in a while, but I know they've made changes. Anyways, after researching and looking at the long term plan we decided to purchase at Beach Club. My husband thought I'd want Wilderness Lodge, but in the end for us, we felt we'd like the proximity of the Epcot resorts and the ability to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios (or take the boat to Hollywood Studios) vs. doing buses all the time. We LOVE the Epcot area and it's my kids favorite who are now 11 and 12. We purchased a 150 point contract. A few years later we purchased another 150 point contract at Boardwalk. Both are Feb UY and have worked out well. I would highly HIGHLY recommend buying where you'd love to stay. We had considered buying at Saratoga at the time because it was cheaper, but I'm so happy we decided to spend a bit more and buy where we thought we'd love to stay. For us the Epcot area is where we love. If resale is the way you're thinking of going then definitely buy where you'd love to stay... especially if they are making it so you can't book at the other DVC resorts anymore if you're buying resale now. We're blessed and are grandfathered in. Don't worry about not being able to use your points on the Disney Cruise line because it isn't worth the points. And we have no where near enough points to ever be able to use it on Adventures by Disney. We book at the 11 month window as we're planners. Having the 11 month booking window is wonderful and we tend to travel during April vacation week. We went before xmas one time as well. We've stayed at many of the resorts but if we could only stay where we own I'd be completely satisfied. So research where you think you'd like to buy. What type of room you think you'd want and the points required for that room and potential travel times you'd see yourselves going. our times always fall into the more expensive seasons. Good luck!!

I really appreciate all of the feedback, it helps in making the decision.
My wife and I are expecting our first child, that is another reason we have been thinking more about it. It will help us in the future for trips in the years to come

My understanding is now if you buy resale Disney has limited that contract to only being able to stay at that resort you own. I could be wrong on that point as I haven't been on here in a while, but I know they've made changes.
When buying for Future Resorts (Riviera and forward) currently resale buyers of those contracts can only stay at their home resort. As for the current 14 resorts resale buyers (after 1/19/19) can only stay at their home resort or any of the resorts prior but not including Riviera.

I also did not try before buying. Bought resale in 2007, with a small contract, then added on direct (both at BWV). I had only found out about DVC in my previous vacation when I took the friendship boat from Epcot to DHS, I didn't know about that either! We (then I was married) got off the boat at Boardwalk because it looked so nice. Wandered around, checked out the public spaces and I loved it. I also recognized that the location was fantastic, waiting for a bus after fireworks, dead on my feet, was one of my least favourite parts of my Disney vacation.

When I got home I did a little research and quickly saw a 60 point resale on the website of one of the sponsors of this board. I snapped it up. My membership has come about in small increments. 60-40-30-50 I know I probably paid a premium for those at the time, but I didn't have $18000 to pay out in one go. I don't regret my decision for a minute. Lately there have been changes that sort of take the shine off, but when I think seriously about selling, I balk. I do love going, I'm glad I bought at BW and BC. The value has increased even though years left on the contract have decreased, what timeshare does that?

I have had many vacations in BWV, a wonderful resort that I would never pay rack rates for (simply because I don't have that kind of money to spend on a room). I have shared it with family and friends, stayed in BWV,AKV Jambo and Kidani, Beach Club, OKW and Poly, got a room for my nephew at BLT, studios for my sister and niece at Vero. All were great stays. That said my favourite is BWV, creepy clown slide and all. If you travel to Disney yearly, and would like to stay in rooms with a little more space and amenities, I believe it is a good buy. Now, at today's direct prices, yikes, I would still advise you to purchase what you can afford to pay for, and add on as you need or want to. If you purchase resale at one of the original 14 you can only stay at those resorts, but there is such a great range of resorts in that group, wonderful locations, and in my opinion better theming, so that shouldn't stop you. As others have said, now more than ever, it's important to buy where you want to stay, especially if you want to experience F&W Festival in the fall.

Good luck with your decision.:wizard:

I really appreciate all of the feedback, it helps in making the decision.
My wife and I are expecting our first child, that is another reason we have been thinking more about it. It will help us in the future for trips in the years to come
It's difficult to do, but keep in mind that your trip habits will change as your child ages. Until elementary school, you can visit pretty much when you want depending on your occupations. Once your child (children) reach school age, you will be locked in to certain dates. Once they hit teen years, you and they might not be as interested in Disney. Primarily, keep in mind that DVC is a life long financial commitment. While the initial purchase might come easily, the yearly maintenance fees don't go away and continue to rise. CraiginPA has some good things to consider, so do your research and look at this as a financial decision and not an emotional one.

People have asked me and I have told them to answer these questions:

1. Are you willing to go and stay at a Disney deluxe resort at least every other year? If not then no need to look any further cause the costs are not worth it.
2. Are you satisfied with staying offsite and going to the different locations around the Disney area and want to continue to do so?
3. Are you satisfied with staying at value or moderate resorts at Disney locations, looking for deals, and other ways to save monies?
4. Can you pay cash for your purchase?
5. What are your travel plans for the next 10 years?

Then after getting the answers, you need to start your research:
Read these threads on the DIS and understand the following terms:
UY
MF
HR
11 month and 7 month booking windows
Concierge Collection
RCI
CM
MS
Direct vs resale
Rule of 4
Once you have a full understanding of these terms.
Then read some more.

It's difficult to do, but keep in mind that your trip habits will change as your child ages. Until elementary school, you can visit pretty much when you want depending on your occupations. Once your child (children) reach school age, you will be locked in to certain dates. Once they hit teen years, you and they might not be as interested in Disney.

That's why we purchased BCV and BWV. It was hard as our kids were toddlers and we knew we'd spend more time in MK than Epcot. But we looked at the big picture and felt they may like Epcot and HS more as they grew older and would like being able to walk back to the hotel vs. waiting for a bus. Plus we loved the resorts... creepy clown pool and all. It's actually my kids favorite slide! Buy where you'd love to stay. I can't stress that enough.

I will also float out there that what you think you will want to do with your child, and what you actually do, are two different things. I would not recommend taking on a large financial commitment - and DVC is just that - prior to having a kid. If you've not thoroughly accounted for all the expenses of a child, and even the potentials, you may find "having bought" to be very stressful.

Many people's daycare bill resembles a mortgage. If you are giving up income to avoid a daycare bill, that's it's own shift. Your kid needs specialty formula, that's an arm and a leg. List goes on. And they're all possible in the best case scenarios.

I will also float out there that what you think you will want to do with your child, and what you actually do, are two different things. I would not recommend taking on a large financial commitment - and DVC is just that - prior to having a kid. If you've not thoroughly accounted for all the expenses of a child, and even the potentials, you may find "having bought" to be very stressful.

Many people's daycare bill resembles a mortgage. If you are giving up income to avoid a daycare bill, that's it's own shift. Your kid needs specialty formula, that's an arm and a leg. List goes on. And they're all possible in the best case scenarios.

We bought DVC as DINKS. We had it paid off just about the time our son was born. Best financial purchase we ever made. Our teen still loves it, we still love it. Our DS has some special needs -- making it all the more worthwhile. It's our magical place.

We bought DVC as DINKS. We had it paid off just about the time our son was born. Best financial purchase we ever made. Our teen still loves it, we still love it. Our DS has some special needs -- making it all the more worthwhile. It's our magical place.

My concern for OP is that they're already expecting. So unless they have a nice nest egg and will be paying cash up front, they won't have that same running head start.

I think even people who plan get surprised by how expensive babies are, even when you're not being extravagant. For mine, daycare was the main painful expense until they both needed surgery at 2 (several years apart), but I had friends who intended to breastfeed who ended up needing specialty formula, and that stuff is brutally expensive. And, heck, even breastfeeding isn't "free."

That's why i always advise against big financial decisions while baby is cooking and for the first six months, minimum.

We have been enjoying all of these posts and discussions due the original post. Every time we visit, as we are in the bubble, we always think about how to enjoy the experience it more. It is part fantasy and part reality. Like everyone here we really enjoy our time at Disney, and we think about all the different ways to extend those feelings

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!