DVC Resale - making the payment

Pooh's-Honey-Pot

DVC owner since 2020 - VGF, BLT and SSR
Hi all,

I didn't even know there was a UK DVC page until just now and so I asked a similar question on the main page. We are looking to buy DVC resale, and I'm pretty terrified about paying the main fee as bank transfer doesn't have the same protection as credit card. Could you recommend the banks / companies that you used please? Also, what companies did you buy from, and would you recommend them? Any regrets on not buying direct?

I'm seeing a lot of posts like this and i would like to know too. I am not a DVC member either but am seriously considering buying resale. I assume if you finance the payment, instead of paying cash, the outstanding balance will be paid by the finance company and you (the buyer) wouldn't worry about making the payment yourself? Or do the finance company simply transfer you the money and you have to make that payment yourself?

Also, as far as companies, there are reps for a company who are featured on the DIS Unplugged DVC show who come across very helpful. I have in fact emailed them with queries myself and they have got back to me very quickly and regularly with helpful advice.

From the research i have its pretty individual specific as to whether you would be better buying direct. Me and my partner want the membership for the booking of resorts only and aren't bothered about DCL or the discounts. They would be nice but not nice enough to entice us into paying the significantly higher costs of going direct.

They're just my opinions on it anyway. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be able to help you properly!

We just recently bought our second contract, we paid using TransferWise, they charged me £38 in fee's. It was massively straight forward though and much easier AND cheaper than doing it through my bank. This is dependent though on the title company accepting an ACH payment (automated clearing house), frustratingly, and someone may correct me if i'm wrong, not all title companies accept these payments and you can't guarantee which title company a broker will use.

Just to try and answer a couple of others points raised, in terms of 'protection', I guess there is an element of risk, like there is with any major purchase, but you have to remember that you aren't paying directly to the seller, or even the broker that has the contract listed, the money is going to a title company who handle the deal, and they provide full banking details which in my experience has made it really straight forward, and as safe as it can be.

I bought my contracts from Fidelity, but have scoured 5 or 6 different sites to find the contracts that suit our needs, I won't list them here as some of them can't be mentioned on these forums without breaking DIS board guidelines, but a quick google of 'best dvc resale sites' brings up a lot of threads including one from this forum.

As for Direct Vs Resale, we bought a small amount of points (I think 75 is the minimum to get a 'blue card' and the associated discounts), and then larger contracts (both at the Poly) through resale, that has given us the best of both worlds. If you aren't that bothered about the blue card discounts, resale is probably the way to go, the main reason for buying direct is access to future resorts, but with the cancellation of Reflections resort, the only resort that you can't use resale points at currently is the Riviera, so, unless you're desperate to stay there, no reason to not buy resale.

I am a little bit more unsure about finance options, I know buying direct, Disney don't offer finance to UK buyers, so you would need to take a loan out here, pay off the contract with that money and then repay the loan, I am not sure if it is the same for buying resale.

Happy to answer any questions though, just sent me a private message or post in here.

if you buy your resale contracts from a reputable resale company, i don't know why this is an issue.
We simply wire transferred our payment from our bank to the title company used by the resale company.
the title company only transfers your money to the seller at the close.

By the way, 4 of our contracts were resale and one (the most recent) was direct from disney.

We used Revolut, as long as there is an ACH Routing number, it was a good rate, and no fees, and secure too.

Just make sure you call on a known number to confirm the details, emails can get hacked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!